Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

And no pics/video??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

I have a clip of me shooting it, I'll post it once I'm home.

The range master came out at the end of our session and also let me shoot three rounds of .500 action express as a bachelor party gift. That was pretty awesome but the first time I fired it I was nervous as gently caress thanks to all the clips I've seen of people not bracing for recoil properly and getting hit in the face. Thankfully i did not have that issue (and I seemed to shoot pretty okay with it).

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

not caring here posted:

Sorry kid, now you gonna have to write left handed because dad wanted youtube likes.

arizonagirl24 is a weird YouTube name for her dad.

Handsome Ralph posted:

This weekend I shot a war vintage Thompson. I don't really post in here but I wanted to share that it was every bit of amazing and fun my brain thought it would be.

Also the recoil on it was a loving dream :stare: :love:

Not gonna lie, I keep thinking about scraping together the bucks to get my own Thompson.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

Finally put a light on and “finished” my home defense/farm rifle.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

McNally posted:

Not gonna lie, I keep thinking about scraping together the bucks to get my own Thompson.

Is this also you? Listed not quite an hour ago.

Armslist: two pages of zinc pocket pistols, one page of full MSRP used Kimbers, and "WTB tommy gun" down there towards the bottom. Guy wants an Auto Ord replica, local FTF-only apparently.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Never shot a Thompson but I got to shoot a sub gun match with an M3A1's Greasegun. Such low recoil and ROF, so much fun.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
I shot an MP5 in Vegas and it was basically cheat mode.

No recoil, and stupid accurate even being a flogged out range gun.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

My local range has an MP5 for rent for not a terrible amount. I should go do it next time I'm there.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
If you go full auto expect to spend a lot on bullets. They cycle pretty quick.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Yeah, I think it's like 15-20 bux a mag. Expensive but not that horrible to shoot a few.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Worth it.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
Cute.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

ahahahahahaha

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ifskO2U07E

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MPoit_51ac4

but seriously that's a good idea and looks hard as hell

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Sinistral Rifleman (the guy who did the last 2-Gun videos with Karl) said he got a 0/10 on that stage. It seems like pretty much nobody liked it because the RO randomly kicking the kayak around just took skill completely out of it and made it virtually impossible for anyone to hit anything.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

Yesterday was probably one of the roughest hikes I've done yet. I'm actually a little surprised that I didn't die in the process. 15-16ish miles, 3800ish feet of elevation gain. I came home feeling beat to poo poo and wondering if I was just out of shape or what, and didn't realize until after that that much elevation gain had happened. Here's the route I took:

Starting from the Wild Basin trailhead (8500ft), followed the wild basin trail towards thunder lake, but split off prior to that trail's end. Went through a marshy area to find Mertensia falls, then up and around that to Eagle and Box lakes. Then scrambled up the talus slope on the south side of Eagle lake to a small-ish flat area full of waist high shrubbery that was near impossible to get through, so I had to skirt around the edge all the way up to Frigid lake. From there, I scrambled up the ridge on its south side, crossed another boulder field and went over the pass to Isolation lake. From there it was a lot of scrambling down more talus slopes and shrubbery to get to Pipit lake, then I rejoined the main trail coming back from Bluebird lake.

Started walking at 6:30AM, didn't get back to my car until 10PM. The max elevation, in the pass between Mahana and Isolation peaks, was something like 12324ft.

On top of that, I was pretty low on water. Most 15-16 miles mountain hikes, I've gotten by with the 3L in my Camelbak and only run out within the last couple miles of the hike. This time, I thought to myself beforehand, hmm just in case it's strenuous, I'll throw in a Powerade bottle. It's a good thing I did, because by the time I was just above Eagle lake, I copped a feel on my Camelbak and found that I had already drained it to 1/4 full. After that point I only took small sips of that and the Powerade. Still ran out 4 miles from the car. Those last 4 miles were hiked by headlamp.

So, note to self. Pay more attention to the elevation gain on planned hikes.

Anyways, here's the pics.

Small waterfall a couple miles in.

Mertensia falls.

Eagle lake.

Small unnamed pond to the north of Eagle lake. Longs and Meeker in the backdrop.

Box lake. Only Meeker is visible in the backdrop here.

Eagle lake from the south side, about to start scrambling up.

Up above Eagle lake, looking down on it and its two partner lakes. Pagoda, Longs and Meeker are visible.

Frigid lake.

Frigid lake while going up the south ridge line.

Isolation lake.

Pipit lake. Not the best angle, but I was tired and given that I was traveling east, any pics taken further down would have just made for a bigger sun burst.

Lark pond.

A marmot, majestically surveying his lands.

Waldo isn't in this one, but another marmot is.

Three marmots!

Bluebird lake.

As I was making my way past Bluebird towards Ouzel, the sun had already set and I was mostly looking at the immediate 15 feet in front of me, so as to not trip on rocks. Then I looked up and found this large fellow right on the trail.

He wasn't moving, so I broke off the trail to the right and put some large rocks and downed logs between us. That's when I noticed more of them.

There were three total.

And of course, this angle presented itself and I pretty much had to.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Moose balls heh

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

THAT'S A LOTTA NUTS

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

3D mode gives a good eyeball on maps. It looks not fun.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/M...!4d-105.6694802

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

I’m glad you mailed my glocks before you died in the mountains :v:

Just kidding, that looks rough as hell but the pictures are fantastic. I love watching megafauna do their thing.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

Oh man that makes me cringe just looking at it.

I had been planning on a trip up to North Cascades and Glacier in a few weeks, but now I see that everything is on fire :catstare:

Not really sure what alternatives there are. Don't really want to go if it's as smoky as last year's Sept trip was.

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones

The Rat posted:

Angry too

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

The Rat posted:

I had been planning on a trip up to North Cascades and Glacier in a few weeks, but now I see that everything is on fire :catstare:

Not really sure what alternatives there are. Don't really want to go if it's as smoky as last year's Sept trip was.

Olympics? I don't think it's on fire there yet.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

Hmm, all the webcam views from that on their website are pretty hazy. There's a fire going in the southeast section too, and I'm sure all the smoke drift from further north isn't helping.

When I was there last year, I'd wake up and find ash on my car. Made photos pretty difficult.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

:chloe:

When I shot that .50 AE a few weeks back, before I took the first shot I kept thinking of all those clips I've seen of people shooting hi powers and getting knocked in the face because they didn't brace enough for the recoil. It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be, but holy gently caress, it kicked.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Yeah, desert eagles are pretty mild for what they are really. I shot a .357 many years ago and it was actually reasonably pleasant.

The funniest thing I ever saw on a range was a dude was running a .50 for an IPSC match for a bit of a laugh. And there was a part of a stage where you holstered your gat, side stepped in front of a paper target with a flimsy timber frame, took 2 steps back to draw and fire a single round.

So this guy takes 2 steps back, draws and fires but fumbles his shot. not only does the flame shooting out the barrel set the target on fire, but he shoots the wooden frame which send the piece of timber and half the flaming target arcing through the air up about 4 metres. Guy comes back and he's picking splinters out of his clothes and hair.

But I hope that kid didn't fire a round because that kid is now in hospital.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Handsome Ralph posted:

:chloe:

When I shot that .50 AE a few weeks back, before I took the first shot I kept thinking of all those clips I've seen of people shooting hi powers and getting knocked in the face because they didn't brace enough for the recoil. It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be, but holy gently caress, it kicked.

My friend and I fired a .50 Deagle a few months ago as part of her gun training for a film.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P6lUYNIko_8

If you hold it tight like you're supposed to, even an inexperienced and small-framed shooter can withstand it.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

chitoryu12 posted:

My friend and I fired a .50 Deagle a few months ago as part of her gun training for a film.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P6lUYNIko_8

If you hold it tight like you're supposed to, even an inexperienced and small-framed shooter can withstand it.

I can’t think of a regular-production chambering that any experienced, healthy adult can’t pick up and shoot, especially out of a giant gas operated auto like a Desert Eagle. It’s not a physics issue, it’s generally an experience issue.

There are some wildcat cartridges out there that should terrify <120lb people, though.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

https://palladiumboots.com/products/02352-344-m

these are old school french combat boots and they're half off at 35 bucks. I have a pair and its my daily wear with jeans shoe.

I dunno seems like this crowd would like them

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Does anyone have a GPS suggestion? I don't need to pay extra for one with a digital map installed or anything

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Like a handheld, or a driving one, or what?

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Garmin 64S seems to get good reviews, but it's Garmin price.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

I picked up a basic rear end old yellow Garmin from Craigslist for $50 and it's done what I need it to do. That is, give me grid coordinates.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

The Rat sent me a couple of Glocks and also some Colorado grass

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

yeah just a basic handheld gps to give a grid coordinate

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

Goodbye sweet Glocks, you served me well

45 ACP CURES NAZIS posted:

yeah just a basic handheld gps to give a grid coordinate

Looks like this is what I have. No way I'd but it new, but used prices are fine https://www.amazon.com/Garmin-eTrex-Waterproof-Hiking-GPS/dp/B00003WGP5

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

am I crazy for wanting a g34 with a g26 size grip

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

gently caress that, go all the way and go G17L with a G26 chop job :getin:

edit: whoa, somebody went and did it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

My hands are way too big for that to be comfortable to use.

:smuggo: