Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I love the mechanics of SpaceChem but why on earth does it need to have a story and boss fights? It's like if Picross turned into Minesweeper every 15 puzzles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Monster Hunter World has no pause button on PC. On consoles you could go to the PS4/Xbox dashboard and it would put the game on hibernate, but on PC there's no way to pause the game at all it seems and that's really annoying. If I have to wait until I have time to devote 100% of my undivided attention to the game because you can't pause it, I'm never going to be able to play it.

edit: And no, running back to the camp and just standing there like a bump on a log doesn't count. Your buffs still tick down and any monsters in the area on expeditions will keep going about their business and possibly leave.

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 08:22 on Aug 12, 2018

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

CJacobs posted:

Monster Hunter World has no pause button on PC. On consoles you could go to the PS4/Xbox dashboard and it would put the game on hibernate, but on PC there's no way to pause the game at all it seems and that's really annoying. If I have to wait until I have time to devote 100% of my undivided attention to the game because you can't pause it, I'm never going to be able to play it.

edit: And no, running back to the camp and just standing there like a bump on a log doesn't count. Your buffs still tick down and any monsters in the area on expeditions will keep going about their business and possibly leave.

Can't pause in Dark Souls either which people seem to overlook. :v:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Dark Souls autosaves constantly so when you quit to the menu you pick up exactly where you left off to the footstep so technically speaking you can pause Dark Souls without much trouble. You probably shouldn't do it in the middle of a fight and it'll boot you out of a boss arena and give them all their health back, and yet with those flaws Dark Souls still has one on Monster Hunter, which cannot be paused at all.

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 08:59 on Aug 12, 2018

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

MHW has a lot of pointless little aspects that just aren't very respectful of the player's time. I know it's supposed to be a big improvement over previous versions, but it's still an incredibly slow-moving game that I lost interest in quickly once it starts taking at least an hour to accomplish anything.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Also MHW's online system is still the worst I have ever seen in a video game, it's so awful that I can barely wrap my head around how it made it into the game that pushes the angle of "hunt with your friends" so drat hard.

edit: The steps to playing monster hunter with a friend:

1. Join the same server as them
2. Decide that you don't want randos joining your hunts and taking up space in the Gathering Hall and make a private server just for you
3. Send them the code for your private server, which you will have to do every time you want to play together
4. Wait for your friend to post a quest that both of you can do
5. Sit around and wait or play on your own while your friend runs around looking for the monster in the quest, because you can't join until they've seen all the cutscenes
6. Sprint to where they are fighting the monster real fast and join the fight in the middle of it, meaning you miss the opening of the fight and taking it by surprise
7. Ending the mission spits you both out back in the Tradeyard instead of the Gathering Hub, which you only get the option to do after expedition quests
8. Now you have to do the mission again for yourself because it only made progress for your friend, something you cannot toggle or change so you play concurrently

What the steps should be:

1. Right click your friend's name on Steam or find them in the in-game friends list
2. Join their game server and tick the option to mute/hide anyone not in the party (this option does not exist)
3. They pick a quest and you go on a hunt with them

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 09:13 on Aug 12, 2018

Barudak
May 7, 2007

exquisite tea posted:

MHW has a lot of pointless little aspects that just aren't very respectful of the player's time. I know it's supposed to be a big improvement over previous versions, but it's still an incredibly slow-moving game that I lost interest in quickly once it starts taking at least an hour to accomplish anything.

It is, which is why you need to seriously question the sanity of people who are excited for more non-World style Monster Hunter games.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

Kulve Tarroth is going to drive PC/New players nuts when she eventually arrives, you want to kill her for the best possible loot do you, then you'd better fight her on at least 3 separate hunts to level up her encounter bar.

However the entire mission has a hidden timer that you have no idea is ticking away until Kulve runs off for good and ends the hunt, this happens if you spend too long fighting her in an area without making her retreat to the next stage, levelling up the encounter meter is essential for delaying her retreat as it increases the damage you deal to her.

Finally, you'd better pray nobody in your lobby beats her too early (for you) or you lose all progress you have made and must start again, it's a shared hunt so if there's far more experienced people in your server group then pray you can tag along with them or you'll get poo poo rewards.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Judge Tesla posted:

Kulve Tarroth is going to drive PC/New players nuts when she eventually arrives, you want to kill her for the best possible loot do you, then you'd better fight her on at least 3 separate hunts to level up her encounter bar.

However the entire mission has a hidden timer that you have no idea is ticking away until Kulve runs off for good and ends the hunt, this happens if you spend too long fighting her in an area without making her retreat to the next stage, levelling up the encounter meter is essential for delaying her retreat as it increases the damage you deal to her.

Finally, you'd better pray nobody in your lobby beats her too early (for you) or you lose all progress you have made and must start again, it's a shared hunt so if there's far more experienced people in your server group then pray you can tag along with them or you'll get poo poo rewards.

Thanks for killing my interest in the game. Like, I genuinely mean that I guess. The last thing I ever thought Monster Hunter would need was lovely mobile game style raids. This, combined with the incredibly tedious multiplayer poo poo, just sounds really not fun.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

Nuebot posted:

Thanks for killing my interest in the game. Like, I genuinely mean that I guess. The last thing I ever thought Monster Hunter would need was lovely mobile game style raids. This, combined with the incredibly tedious multiplayer poo poo, just sounds really not fun.

That's nothing compared to the Behemoth who got airlifted in from Final Fantasy 14 complete with his raid boss mechanics and zone wipes fully intact, it's the worst thing in the game.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Nuebot posted:

The actual game part of the game is pretty fun though. Like, it feels to me (as a newbie) like an hard-encounters-only Dark Souls but with substantially more intricate combat mechanics. You start out fighting enemies like they're bosses, then you get better at it and learn where they're weak and how to bait certain attacks out of them and they turn into encounters and then eventually into easy kills you pick up while doing something else, just in time for the next couple big fuckers to make their appearances. And the ultra greatswords in Dark Souls got nothin' on the Great Sword in MHW.

I don't know if the game gets ultra poo poo in the 200th hour late game or whatever but it feels great for the early stages.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Somfin posted:

I don't know if the game gets ultra poo poo in the 200th hour late game or whatever but it feels great for the early stages.

Pretty much, once you've seen all of the monsters and gear sets it becomes a game of grinding a few types of powered up monsters for incremental gains. It has more than a full game's worth of content up to that point though, so whatever.

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Nuebot posted:

I haven't played Monster Hunter in a couple months, but this is post-story stuff. There's still a 50-100 hour long RPG that you can get through pretty easily just by playing solo and occasionally getting some randos to help with a tough boss.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Nuebot posted:

That's a completely terrible description of Kulve Taroth - it's actually a really fun and low-bullshit fight. A lobby of up to 16 players tackle it together, doing the fight in groups of 4 at a time (like all other fights) but contributing towards each others' progress until one of the groups fully wins the fight, and then everyone gets loot. A whole "cycle" takes less than an hour so you can run it a few times back to back if you like the group you're in.

The way co-op is handled in story quests is just bafflingly bad and dumb though, no defending that

Polyseme
Sep 6, 2009

GROUCH DIVISION

CJacobs posted:

Also MHW's online system is still the worst I have ever seen in a video game, it's so awful that I can barely wrap my head around how it made it into the game that pushes the angle of "hunt with your friends" so drat hard.

edit: The steps to playing monster hunter with a friend:

1. Join the same server as them
2. Decide that you don't want randos joining your hunts and taking up space in the Gathering Hall and make a private server just for you
3. Send them the code for your private server, which you will have to do every time you want to play together
4. Wait for your friend to post a quest that both of you can do
5. Sit around and wait or play on your own while your friend runs around looking for the monster in the quest, because you can't join until they've seen all the cutscenes
6. Sprint to where they are fighting the monster real fast and join the fight in the middle of it, meaning you miss the opening of the fight and taking it by surprise
7. Ending the mission spits you both out back in the Tradeyard instead of the Gathering Hub, which you only get the option to do after expedition quests
8. Now you have to do the mission again for yourself because it only made progress for your friend, something you cannot toggle or change so you play concurrently

What the steps should be:

1. Right click your friend's name on Steam or find them in the in-game friends list
2. Join their game server and tick the option to mute/hide anyone not in the party (this option does not exist)
3. They pick a quest and you go on a hunt with them

That's basically how it works... if you aren't doing assignments. Start your game, invite your friend/have them join your session, then set it Private. No Session IDs needed. Also, access to the MHW thread that cutscene thing is just a baffling engine problem they're working on.

Needing to essentially repeat the joining process for expeditions is weird, though. Despite being in the same session, one of the players needs to go out, launch an SOS flare which the other joins, then cancel it before anyone else shows up. It's odd.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

CJacobs posted:

:confused: On the PS4 I'm sure both my brothers and I were able to make concurrent progress. The only time we had to replay missions was when one of us couldn't play for a day.

PubicMice
Feb 14, 2012

looking for information on posts
A post in the other thread reminded me: the thing dragging down gaming as a whole is that I still can't loving play Katamari on the PS4

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
Dark Samus in Smash Bros Ultimate doesn't have toes.

This game is going to be loving trash.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

Dr Christmas posted:

Her appearance looks to be based on her Prime 3 model which didn't have toes.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Guy Mann posted:

These Super Mario Bros games keep leaning on the Chosen One narrative, why can't we get a game where you're a Goomba that can only walk back and forth forever on a single platform forever.

I would buy a Mario game where you could spawn as an enemy in a random person's game and hassle them

Also someone needs to make a new Pac Man Vs because that game owned so hard yet the only way to play it was to buy a copy of R-Racing and link up a GBA to the Gamecube

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Dr Christmas posted:

She's trying to fit in with the fire emblem lads

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Literally the only reason I bought a GameCube.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Trying to read database entries in Black Flag is a nightmare if you read quickly. Who thought it was a good idea to have one-tenth of the screen have content and the rest of the screen just be fuzzy dots floating around?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7jl0JAkIyWQ

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Quote-Unquote posted:

Also someone needs to make a new Pac Man Vs because that game owned so hard yet the only way to play it was to buy a copy of R-Racing and link up a GBA to the Gamecube

It's included in the Namco Museum for Switch.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

John Murdoch posted:

It's included in the Namco Museum for Switch.

Oh yeah? I might actually have a reason to turn on my Switch!

How does it work without an extra screen?

edit: oh right, you need two Switches: one for Pac Man and one for the three ghosts. And you can't play with the ghosts one in docked mode, meaning three people have to huddle round a tiny screen. This seems very dumb and bad :(

Quote-Unquote has a new favorite as of 15:23 on Aug 14, 2018

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Another thing dragging monster hunter world down is that the auto-crafting is effectively useless. They let you tick boxes for any item on the crafting list if you want to craft that item automatically without having to do it yourself. That's cool, but because of the implementation it only works in a tiny few circumstances. The restrictions are that it will only auto-craft if you:

1. pick up the materials after (it doesn't auto craft any items you already have when you tick the box)
2. don't have the materials in your inventory already (it only auto crafts on pickup, never after it enters the inventory)
3. don't have the max amount of the thing you want to craft in your pouch (not your item box)

So basically, you will only auto-craft until your pouch is at the max, while you are out in the field only, and then it won't automatically go into the box afterward. This means you can continue to pick up the materials after you've reached the max, and these new materials WON'T be used to auto-refill if you use the crafted item so it's not at the max anymore. It's ridiculous. It's seriously basic game design 101.

edit: An example to make the complaint clearer is that it takes 1 herb and 1 honey to make a potion, and you have a max of 10 of all three items. If you have 10 potions, when you go back down to 9 it WON'T use any herbs and honeys in your inventory to make more. You have to physically pick up another herb and another honey before the game will go "oh right" and craft another one. Anything you picked up while you were at 10 potions, it doesn't care about.

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 14:45 on Aug 14, 2018

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

The Concierge boss in Dead Cells is so bad. It's not hard but it has at least three times more health than it should, so you're just chipping away with no identifiable change in its health bar. I think it took me about seven minutes of boring combat.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Feels like they gave the Concierge way more health on release than in EA. You used to be able to kill him super fast with bleeds.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Why, in shooters, is it so hard for cutscenes to show your character with the gun you actually have equipped?

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Cythereal posted:

Why, in shooters, is it so hard for cutscenes to show your character with the gun you actually have equipped?

I rate games entirely on if equipment effects cutscenes.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:

Nostradingus posted:

The Concierge boss in Dead Cells is so bad. It's not hard but it has at least three times more health than it should, so you're just chipping away with no identifiable change in its health bar. I think it took me about seven minutes of boring combat.

I hate that he just goes invincible sometimes. I get why, it's for the same reason Enter the Gungeon's bosses (and some of Binding of Isaac's) have damage caps, so that you can't just melt through them with an overpowering build.

But dammit, lucking into becoming an instant death machine is half the fun of these games. Why can't roguelite devs just let me chase that high the 1/100 times it happens?

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Cythereal posted:

Max Payne 3 was amazing for this. Hell, cutscenes would change slightly if you went in carrying a two-handed weapon compared to a pistol.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

CJacobs posted:

Another thing dragging monster hunter world down is that the auto-crafting is effectively useless. They let you tick boxes for any item on the crafting list if you want to craft that item automatically without having to do it yourself. That's cool, but because of the implementation it only works in a tiny few circumstances. The restrictions are that it will only auto-craft if you:

1. pick up the materials after (it doesn't auto craft any items you already have when you tick the box)
2. don't have the materials in your inventory already (it only auto crafts on pickup, never after it enters the inventory)
3. don't have the max amount of the thing you want to craft in your pouch (not your item box)

So basically, you will only auto-craft until your pouch is at the max, while you are out in the field only, and then it won't automatically go into the box afterward. This means you can continue to pick up the materials after you've reached the max, and these new materials WON'T be used to auto-refill if you use the crafted item so it's not at the max anymore. It's ridiculous. It's seriously basic game design 101.

edit: An example to make the complaint clearer is that it takes 1 herb and 1 honey to make a potion, and you have a max of 10 of all three items. If you have 10 potions, when you go back down to 9 it WON'T use any herbs and honeys in your inventory to make more. You have to physically pick up another herb and another honey before the game will go "oh right" and craft another one. Anything you picked up while you were at 10 potions, it doesn't care about.

Ever play the previous games?

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

Quote-Unquote posted:

Oh yeah? I might actually have a reason to turn on my Switch!

How does it work without an extra screen?

edit: oh right, you need two Switches: one for Pac Man and one for the three ghosts. And you can't play with the ghosts one in docked mode, meaning three people have to huddle round a tiny screen. This seems very dumb and bad :(

Like with everything I don't like about switch, it is for people with tiny heads and hands.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Cythereal posted:

In Star Trek: Online, cutscenes remember what you are wearing, but just make up a gun based on your race and faction. Klingon people always have a disruptor, for example. Playing a female Orion in a metal bikini and carrying a severed borg arm with a plasma torch on the end? Nope. Now you have a disruptor pistol, but at least you are still in your metal bikini.

Edit: the weirdest thing about ST:O cutscenes is that some NPCs have synched mouth movement and some don't. Some just do that old-school head nod thing whey they are speaking. Who does and doesn't have mouth movement can change mid-cutscene. If everybody doens't have it then nobody should have it.

Aleph Null has a new favorite as of 18:31 on Aug 14, 2018

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Tomb Raider 3 is a game that repeatedly kicks players in the balls with regards to unfair deaths... but this latest one takes the cake...

Can anyone spot what is about to instakill Lara on this screen?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Necrothatcher posted:

Tomb Raider 3 is a game that repeatedly kicks players in the balls with regards to unfair deaths... but this latest one takes the cake...

Breast cancer?

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Necrothatcher posted:

stairs

it's always stairs

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

SkeletonHero posted:

I hate that he just goes invincible sometimes. I get why, it's for the same reason Enter the Gungeon's bosses (and some of Binding of Isaac's) have damage caps, so that you can't just melt through them with an overpowering build.

But dammit, lucking into becoming an instant death machine is half the fun of these games. Why can't roguelite devs just let me chase that high the 1/100 times it happens?

Agreed. Yesterday I got some awesome gold power that let me float above enemies and shoot them with lightning while poisoning and bleeding them. Concierge turns on his invincibility right when I pop it, wasting the cycle and making me have to wait another 15 seconds for it to cool down.

It's dumb. Let me melt the guy...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Nostradingus posted:

I feel like Dead Cells spent half its time in EA exponentially increasingly already bloated boss health while everyone begged them to stop. They're such dull roadblocks