Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

wesleywillis posted:

The azgoths of krea are much worse poets.

I didn't accept the DRM on my Guide and never got the firmware update

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Audi, hospital, no charges, must be a doctor.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Warning: Ninjas Ahead

Slush Garbo
Nov 20, 2007

FALSE SLACK
is
BETTER
than
NO SLACK

A friend just spotted this at work and sent me the pic. Probably an old joke on job sites, but it made me think of this amazing thread.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Ah, that's the stuff.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

A version of this poo poo happened for real in this long but amazing article about the open sea recovery of a car transport ship.
https://www.wired.com/2008/02/ff-seacowboys/
The whole thing is OSHA AF

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:
Someone post the edit

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

"Oh they have their car on concrete pylons that's not super great but- wait a minute. Oh poo poo that's not concrete" :stonk:

stevewm
May 10, 2005

I ducked watching this...

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

misguided rage posted:

Someone post the edit

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012

Such art.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

https://i.imgur.com/2oWwmn6.mp4

The best part is how it just keeps going.

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Eckot's comic relief cousin from out of town
Grimey Drawer

Speaking of destroying a hospital, I went looking through old posts to see if I mentioned it, but apparently nobody(myself included) cares about a hospital explosion :shrug:

http://www.tdtnews.com/news/article_186da878-7df1-11e8-988d-cf8bb5d935d4.html

Ventilate your natural gas, folks

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Mistle posted:

Ventilate your natural gas, folks

Oh, I do. Believe me, I do.

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost

Fancy_Breakfast posted:

Where did you end up coming to rest, any issues getting out of it? I'm always afraid all the equipment and the stretcher could come loose and cause a lot of harm or pin me down.

I really don't remember a lot of it, but I do remember sliding on the box's right side because we were hit from the left. We were running code with a STEMI alert, and the idiot who hit us just wasn't paying attention. Speeding and careless.

I do remember being folded up around the bench seat and cabinet, again, with the box on its side. Our patient was stuck strapped into the stretcher on its side because we actually did a p.decent job packaging him. It was more difficult getting him out than anything. That and trying to provide care and making sure he and my partner were both ok.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug

There's got to be a great "gives new meaning to bottle jack" joke here or at something better than that one but I am not the man to do it.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

ncumbered_by_idgits posted:

This is probably a stupid question but I've wondered this before. Assuming both of those vehicles share an owner, does the insurance company frown upon (more than normal I guess) accidents where the policyholder of both vehicles is the same entity?

No. I've handled those. Subrogation (the act of collecting the money paid out) against the responsible party can be a bureaucratic pain in the rear end, though.

Potrzebie
Apr 6, 2010

I may not know what I'm talking about, but I sure love cops! ^^ Boy, but that boot is just yummy!
Lipstick Apathy
About that thread title...

That was until earlier today a highway bridge in Italy. 100 meters of it is no longer there, because it fell down. Seems reasonable to assume a few cars also fell down but there is no official casualty number yet.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Another angle

Kennel fucked around with this message at 12:45 on Aug 14, 2018

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Potrzebie posted:

That was until earlier today a highway bridge in Italy. 100 meters of it is no longer there, because it fell down. Seems reasonable to assume a few cars also fell down but there is no official casualty number yet.

Holy poo poo. Was there a tower there as well?

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Potrzebie posted:

BBC reckons at least 10 dead :(

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

BBC posted:

The police linked it to what they called a violent cloudburst.

The police are generally not engineers, but I wonder if this is going to be a case where someone overlooked adding different load calculations during design, or something like that. Or perhaps a Citicorp Center type of thing.

schmug
May 20, 2007

Preoptopus posted:

A version of this poo poo happened for real in this long but amazing article about the open sea recovery of a car transport ship.
https://www.wired.com/2008/02/ff-seacowboys/
The whole thing is OSHA AF

This is a very good read. Thanks for posting it. Some next level poo poo I'd put on par with cave diving.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

glynnenstein posted:

The police are generally not engineers,

Italy is the country that put seismologists on trial for an earthquake happening.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

Italy is the country that put seismologists on trial for an earthquake happening.

Well, did the earthquakes stop?

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Proteus Jones posted:

Holy poo poo. Was there a tower there as well?

Yes. It's gone, too.

EDIT: Took a bit to find the photo I saw earlier of it.

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Aug 14, 2018

schmug
May 20, 2007

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Yes. It's gone, too.

my god, look how close that truck is to the edge. This definitely shits the pants.

schmug
May 20, 2007

nbcnews posted:

The highway operator said work to shore up the foundation of the bridge was being carried out at the time of the collapse, adding that the bridge was constantly monitored.

oops

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

glynnenstein posted:

The police are generally not engineers, but I wonder if this is going to be a case where someone overlooked adding different load calculations during design, or something like that. Or perhaps a Citicorp Center type of thing.

One witness also says a lightning struck the bridge just before the collapse. Not sure if I trust the testimony or the implied cause, but it does make me wonder what kind of damage could it do to a bridge as a worst case scenario. I assume that this type of bridges have lightning rods but what if it didn't?

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

methinks they'll be putting some engineers on trial soon

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

schmug posted:

The highway operator said work to shore up the foundation of the bridge was being carried out at the time of the collapse, adding that the bridge was constantly monitored.

Seems like an easy job to do:

"She's-a still up-a"
"She's-a still up-a"
"She's-a still up-a"
"She's-a still up-a"
"She's-a still up-a"
"She's-a still up-a"
"She's-a still up-a"
"She's-a not still up-a"

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Nenonen posted:

One witness also says a lightning struck the bridge just before the collapse. Not sure if I trust the testimony or the implied cause, but it does make me wonder what kind of damage could it do to a bridge as a worst case scenario. I assume that this type of bridges have lightning rods but what if it didn't?

What could lightning do to a steel and concrete bridge? Maybe heat water trapped in cracks in concrete causing it to vaporize explosively? I'm really curious as to what they will find. If they were doing foundation work already, and a large storm came up, then possibly it got undermined by rushing water? Wind is a possibility too I guess.

I already hate driving over high bridges. This doesn't help. At all.

schmug
May 20, 2007

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

What could lightning do to a steel and concrete bridge? Maybe heat water trapped in cracks in concrete causing it to vaporize explosively? I'm really curious as to what they will find. If they were doing foundation work already, and a large storm came up, then possibly it got undermined by rushing water? Wind is a possibility too I guess.

I already hate driving over high bridges. This doesn't help. At all.

It turned all the sand in the concrete into glass, duh!

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

What could lightning do to a steel and concrete bridge?

Thunderbolts can't melt suspension cables.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
Looks like this video was taken while the collapse was already in progress, but certainly looks like there was lightning in the area.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hs3nvzt5qY8

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
That's why you don't fix it if it ain't broke.

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Yes. It's gone, too.

:piss:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EssOEss
Oct 23, 2006
128-bit approved

MillennialVulcan posted:

certainly looks like there was lightning in the area.

That flash looks like it's coming from below - power cables getting mashed up, I would bet.