Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

mysterious loyall X posted:

It will make it explode

not really bothered about the details. will it charge the switch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobster Harmonica
Jul 15, 2005

I.N.R.I posted:

any1 here charged a switch from a usb wall socket adapter. I have a usb to usb C cable. theres no reason it wouldnt work, right?

In all seriousness the switch is the one and only console I've ever owned where third party USB chargers have been known to randomly brick it. Mine came in a bundle that included a nyko USB-C wall charger, I never got around to using it, and I found out months later they run the risk of totally loving your system due to some major software flaw in the way Nintendo pulls the system in and out of sleep mode. Not kidding, you can Google it

Hizke
Feb 14, 2010

I.N.R.I posted:

not really bothered about the details. will it charge the switch

lol use a Nintendo cable if you do it.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

standard USB C cable is fine for charging it in handheld mode, its only 3rd party docks that can brick it

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

Tales of Woe posted:

standard USB C cable is fine for charging it in handheld mode, its only 3rd party docks that can brick it

yeah, thats i want to do. like you might charge a phone in a hotel. no dock

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

just don't do anything that would have it running off of a 3rd party power source, it should always be running off of the battery or an official dock and you're good.

Hizke
Feb 14, 2010

Tales of Woe posted:

just don't do anything that would have it running off of a 3rd party power source, it should always be running off of the battery or an official dock and you're good.

good to know

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home
There is plenty of generic usb c stuff that will charge it. If it’s not ultra cheap amazon trash you’re probably fine. There is a spreadsheet out there with known good stuff

Xbox Ambassador
Dec 23, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT BEING THE BIGGEST CRYBABY ON THE FORUMS

The Milkman posted:

There is plenty of generic usb c stuff that will charge it. If it’s not ultra cheap amazon trash you’re probably fine. There is a spreadsheet out there with known good stuff

Checking the spread sheet on how to charge my console cheaply

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
i broke a phone because i didnt check the usb-c spredsheet before buying an adapter

also the google employee that was running the spreedsheet gave up because he bricked a laptop while testing cables, usb-c ftw

Hizke
Feb 14, 2010

Xbox Ambassador posted:

lmao

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Xbox Ambassador posted:

Uncle at Nintendo
Dec 31, 2000

Never charge your console.

Aug 14, 2018 11:35

Hizke
Feb 14, 2010
[panicking while reading a spreadsheet, my switch smoking, black gouts of flame erupting from the third party usb c cable] No.. No! I followed the specifications! Not like this!!

Hizke
Feb 14, 2010

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Uncle at Nintendo
Dec 31, 2000

Xbox Ambassador
Dec 23, 2004

Hizke posted:

[panicking while reading a spreadsheet, my switch smoking, black gouts of flame erupting from the third party usb c cable] No.. No! I followed the specifications! Not like this!!

Lmfao

Xbox Ambassador
Dec 23, 2004

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Uncle at Nintendo
Dec 31, 2000

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Uncle at Nintendo
Dec 31, 2000

Hizke posted:

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
dont need a spreadsheet .. the cable is "anker" and they make an official switch battery pack so their cables work with them

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Third-party cord manufacturer turns chair around, revealing himself as the CEO of Tengen. At long last, vengeance.

Hizke
Feb 14, 2010

FactsAreUseless posted:

Third-party cord manufacturer turns chair around, revealing himself as the CEO of Tengen. At long last, vengeance.

Xbox Ambassador
Dec 23, 2004

FactsAreUseless posted:

lol

HolePisser1982
Nov 3, 2002

I.N.R.I posted:

dont need a spreadsheet .. the cable is "anker" and they make an official switch battery pack so their cables work with them

ive got that one, itll charge just fine. the A-to-C means less juice going to it, so you wont be able to literally "play & charge" at the same time like you'd be able to with the dock charger, it'll just slow the battery draw

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

FactsAreUseless posted:

Xbox Ambassador
Dec 23, 2004

Xbox Ambassador
Dec 23, 2004

HolePisser1982 posted:

ive got that one, itll charge just fine. the A-to-C means less juice going to it, so you wont be able to literally "play & charge" at the same time like you'd be able to with the dock charger, it'll just slow the battery draw

Thanks. Updated the ChargeWiki

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

bulbapedia dot bulbagarden dot net slash wiki slash will_this_make_my_nintendo_explode_from_Problems

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

i always spend a little more on the official chargers because i dont ever want to worry about that. not having a charger or bricking a 300+ dollar piece of equipment because the wiki told you you could save 2$ lol

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I bought the official charger for like $15 on release night (it was the only one they had) and now I never have to worry about it ever again.

Hizke
Feb 14, 2010

Xbox Ambassador
Dec 23, 2004

Hey Dad? Will you pick me up a charger for my Nintendo?

Sure Son, let me just finish a bit of light reading..

Lobster Harmonica
Jul 15, 2005

The Nintendo Switch­­™ is so technologically advanced that many scientists are still working on ways to reliably charge it with our primitive methods

HolePisser1982
Nov 3, 2002

Xbox Ambassador posted:

Hey Dad? Will you pick me up a charger for my Nintendo?

Sure Son, let me just finish a bit of light reading..

these gbs Epic Glorious Trainwreck posts suck poo poo

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

HolePisser1982 posted:

Xbox Ambassador
Dec 23, 2004

HolePisser1982 posted:

Alright settle down Beavis. Just having a laugh at a charge cable wiki

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

HolePisser1982 posted:

let him keep going until he posts a picture of the wife of the man who named usb-c imo

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Xbox Ambassador posted:

Alright settle down Beavis. Just having a laugh at a charge cable wiki

Oy guv, ‘aving a laugh at me chargies

HolePisser1982
Nov 3, 2002

*feeling the sudden weight of a vigorously pumping yoda on my shoulders* AAah-hah.. chill guys, just joking around!

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

HolePisser1982 posted:

*feeling the sudden weight of a vigorously pumping yoda on my shoulders* AAah-hah.. chill guys, just joking around!

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frenz
Jan 14, 2009

My switch is always charged because it never leaves the dock