Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
did they change ult levels to 12 and 18 or what

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight

Snazzy Frocks posted:

did they change ult levels to 12 and 18 or what

ya

a witch
Jan 12, 2017

Peewi posted:

What kind of monster would do this?

Why was I teamed up with this monster?

aura doesn't do damage :eng101:

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

Farscape is actually pretty cool.

Peewi posted:

What kind of monster would do this?

Why was I teamed up with this monster?

u dfont even fuckin need mana dude

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

BADGES? WE DON'T NEED NO STINKIN' BADGES!
At least he took arcane at 10 before his talent.

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef
lmao don't they keep on nerfing her base int too? Does CM even have the mana pool to cast both spells level 2?

Boatswain
May 29, 2012
She's top tier right now because people figured out that Q at level 1 works as a good nuke when the sidelanes are all 2v2 brawling.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!

Boatswain posted:

She's top tier right now because people figured out that Q at level 1 works as a good nuke when the sidelanes are all 2v2 brawling.

They nerfed lvl 1 Q pretty hard though. And you want lvl1 frostbite for jungle creeps sometimes. She's still rul good though.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

it owns getting sarcastic tips from the enemy team and then beating them.

DNK
Sep 18, 2004

Enigma is, IMO, the most busted Underhallow hero, and he’s so rarely ever banned or played.

Here’s the build:
•stick + 2 obs / sentry
•refresher
•aghs
•Aeon Disk / shadowblade

W/E/W/Q —> R>E>Q

Get your allies to give you their escape potion so you can drop a 3-man Black Hole every teamfight. By the 4th fight you should have either won or you’ll have shadowblade.

Sell everything that’s not immediately useful to your team in order to get refresher ASAP. Enigma clears very fast due to eidolons so you’ll almost always be 6 at the first engage.

Drop obs and buy more obs occasionally at choke points. Save 1 sentry in case the enemy has weaver or mirana. buying observer wards is maybe the single most important thing that will win you games. If you get the drop on the enemy team it’s GG.

There’s no point where Enigma is bad. Midnight pulse + aghs black hole is like 75% pure damage + 500 magic damage. I’ve ended games with a solo triple kill.

If you lose it’s probably because your allies didn’t take heroes that clear rooms fast enough. The overarching meta of underhallow is about clear speed first, teamfight second, and with teamfight on lockdown all you really need is the ability to slay trash and get XP as fast as possible.

Lina / Leshrac is my fav pair with Enigma due to good clear speed and AOE damage to pump into black hole.

DNK fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Aug 13, 2018

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

I've had fun winning a couple times with Phoenix and viper together. You can cover a whole room with nethertoxin and the amped magic dmg is nuts. Most of my wins are on dk though. Kinda hard to gently caress that guy up. Big ults with short or medium cooldowns work nicely. Won one with tide just giving auras and having ravage up in all but one fight. Had a crazy fast game with 16 kills with a necro, gyro, Phoenix group. Rooms were done a soon as we walked in them.

I imagine io would be good too, but I haven't made it work.

Pro tip: you can place the wards on the other side of walls and gates.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
Uh I'm not sure but you guys are making it sound like DotA is fun

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG
Is anyone getting burnt out of dota? I have been catching myself playing a lot more league of legends than dota lately and it's starting to scare me. I think DotA by far is a much better game than league but the games are so much shorter and easier to play. I feel like most of my dota games now last about an hour and in league they only last about 35 minutes. Like League pales in comparison to dota in almost every respect but I do enjoy that the games are shorter and more straight forward sometimes.

I could play turbo but not playing for leet MMR sort of kills it for me.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Enigma89 posted:

Is anyone getting burnt out of dota? I have been catching myself playing a lot more league of legends than dota lately and it's starting to scare me. I think DotA by far is a much better game than league but the games are so much shorter and easier to play. I feel like most of my dota games now last about an hour and in league they only last about 35 minutes. Like League pales in comparison to dota in almost every respect but I do enjoy that the games are shorter and more straight forward sometimes.

i don't know the playerbase dropped by like 20% in the last year so i think the answer is no no one is and it's just you

edit: good lord it's down 50% from 2016

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Enigma89 posted:

not even once

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you
Yet the prize pool for TI8 recently surpassed the previous year and is at $24M USD. So as long as the money's still there, it's all good I guess.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Love Stole the Day posted:

Yet the prize pool for TI8 recently surpassed the previous year and is at $24M USD. So as long as the money's still there, it's all good I guess.

last year was 24.7 this year is sitting at 24.2 so far

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Love Stole the Day posted:

TI8 is still about 500k behind TI7

efb

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

also lol if you think valve would let the prize pool be less than the previous year anyway

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
I still prefer DOTA in depth, hero design and ability to impact a match, but I’m playing HOTS because Dad Life means I can smash out a game in a spare 20m, and I do genuinely prefer talents to the items system.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
I think the main thing with player numbers is they're concurrent user figures and Dota isn't the grind game you play all day any more (that's Fortnite)

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

Still most likely correlates to less games played. Turbo is fun and good and the hots of dota and gives you battle pass credit and half plus xp. Do that for real if you have trouble with long games. Still have the rare 40min game but I'm usually done around 22mim.

It's not real dota and you have to play it a little differently and you'll feel that, but it frees you from the gradually changing number-value and it's more arcadey and people can't steal your courier.

KRILLIN IN THE NAME
Mar 25, 2006

:ssj:goku i won't do what u tell me:ssj:

ILL Machina posted:

Still most likely correlates to less games played. Turbo is fun and good and the hots of dota and gives you battle pass credit and half plus xp. Do that for real if you have trouble with long games. Still have the rare 40min game but I'm usually done around 22mim.

It's not real dota and you have to play it a little differently and you'll feel that, but it frees you from the gradually changing number-value and it's more arcadey and people can't steal your courier.

We did this last night - we had a techies teammate who defended for *ages* and we fought back against megacreeps for probably 20+ minutes, pushed down their mid a couple times (we still lost). I was rubick and the enemy pudge kept on hooking without rotting immediately after, so I used the stolen hook to pick out enemy heroes and delay their push. It was a disgusting game

turboraton
Aug 28, 2011

FruitNYogurtParfait posted:

lmao

also why would you make your real identity findable via your steam account

Perhaps he is Peruvian as well! Here we make fun of the kids who won't put their name on their profile!

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

KRILLIN IN THE NAME posted:

we had a techies teammate

I'm sorry a techies player is always an enemy

KRILLIN IN THE NAME
Mar 25, 2006

:ssj:goku i won't do what u tell me:ssj:

Vando posted:

I'm sorry a techies player is always an enemy

We both alternate between playing techies every few games or so in turbo just to ruin everyone else's day :getin:

CrRoMa
Nov 12, 2017

by R. Guyovich
I've not played dota for 2 months now which is nice, i might have quit years ago if I didn't have a mate take it up, many stoned weekend nights doto-ing in the last few years but I'm just sick of the majority of my games time going to one game.

I'm still keen on TI but after that who knows. Seeing the Birmingham Major live kinda felt like it marked the end of my desire to play the game and I think TI will mark the end of me watching.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you

IcePhoenix posted:

TI8 is still about 500k behind TI7

efb

Milkfred E. Moore posted:

last year was 24.7 this year is sitting at 24.2 so far

also lol if you think valve would let the prize pool be less than the previous year anyway

http://dota2.prizetrac.kr/international2018

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

oh so you meant something completely different to what you actually said

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG

i don't know the playerbase dropped by like 20% in the last year so i think the answer is no no one is and it's just you

edit: good lord it's down 50% from 2016

All of my IRL friends stopped playing dota. So it is hard to justify to keep playing dota with random people on the internet when all of my buddies are playing league.

I mean league is pretty lovely compared to dota but a gently caress load of people play it. I like to make the comparison to pubg and fortnite where the former is much harder and rewarding to play but everyone is playing the latter.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

The blue line goes higher than where the green line currently is, thanks for confirming our posts.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

dunno how league keeps going. they make the game worse and worse over time and ruined all my heroes.

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG

Groovelord Neato posted:

dunno how league keeps going. they make the game worse and worse over time and ruined all my heroes.

The game is just much easier to play and the games are shorter. The roles are pre-defined in pick stage. It's really straight forward. Which makes it much easier to consume and learn. Like try explaining tri lanes to a new player.

DNK
Sep 18, 2004

Try explaining smoke of deceit. That’s an item that is cool and good but makes absolutely no sense to a newbie.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
Oh come on, I know we're talking about league players but "turn the team invisible so you can sneak up on people" isn't exactly a high tier brain genius concept is it

RisqueBarber
Jul 10, 2005

Vando posted:

Oh come on, I know we're talking about league players but "turn the team invisible so you can sneak up on people" isn't exactly a high tier brain genius concept is it

please explain

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

RisqueBarber posted:

please explain

I will not

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

Vando posted:

I will not

wow check out this gatekeeping typical dota elitism amirite??

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i feel like ward and sentries are far easier to understand in dota. league did some weird poo poo with them.

and they ruined all my heroes!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

League is baby mode easy dota, hots is even worse, but we have to realize that's what people want. They don't want serious in depth strategy they just want to go faceroll the keyboard and have fun for 20 minutes. Of course that's just fine, nothing wrong with that, but we shouldn't be surprised when the 'hardcore' option is the less popular one with a small(er) but dedicated userbase.

I super super hate league, if I was going to play not-dota it'd be hots if only because everythign is made up and the points don't matter. I can do whatever the gently caress i want everygame because nothing I do will lead to a victory anyway because it's so badly designed. That freedom can be fun when I'm playing with friends who aren't actually good at dota so I don't want to play real dota with them.