Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

RaySmuckles posted:

:thunk:

almost as if there's some sort of double standard or something

it's almost as if the former directly resulted in the kleptocracy that runs russia today

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

sexpig by night posted:

Yea Russia probably did some poo poo but statistically hostile nations like Russia and China and all ALWAYS 'do some poo poo' when we're having elections, just like we do poo poo when they are. If this was just 'hey we have some flaws we'd like to finally patch up since technology is advancing and it's so much easier for rando hostiles to just buy some bots or poo poo to spread 'don't vote for hillary she's going to jail' bullshit and that's not ideal' it'd be fine, but the idea that Russia changed votes or had a greater impact on the campaign than the whole 'america is already great, how about 12 dollars an hour' and not campaigning in major parts of the 'blue wall' is just some liberal alex jones poo poo to me.

Yeah, the thing about the Russia stuff is that the most important response (improving election security and general political IT) is rarely given focus by liberals and Democratic politicians, with the focus instead going to prosecution of individuals. While the latter should still be done, it isn't really important in the grand scheme of things; it won't stop future electoral interference, and it wouldn't have any positive impact on peoples' lives.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Cease to Hope posted:

it's almost as if the former directly resulted in the kleptocracy that runs russia today

ok glenn/ames/taibbi/anyonewhohastwoeyesandcandrawastraightline :rolleyes:

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Phone posted:

ok glenn/ames/taibbi/anyonewhohastwoeyesandcandrawastraightline :rolleyes:

What are you even trying to argue here? Like, you do realize Putin controlling Russia is a direct result of US meddling in Russian elections right?

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

^^^ I think they're mocking the sort of person who mocks the idea that the US has interfered like that.

Lightning Knight posted:

loving hell its the primary today and I didn’t realize I’d have to pick a governor candidate too fuuuuuuuck

Edit: fuuuuck I should’ve looked at this last week there’s so many dudes

The state treasurer race makes me suspicious, the lady that’s been endorsed by OR and WFP doesn’t actually seem like the best of the three. :(

Actually all three of these seem... bad.

Also I am super torn on who to vote for for governor fuuuuuck

I feel like, if you're not sure when it comes to a primary, you may as well just not vote (since there's no real benefit to an ignorant primary vote). It might be worth voting for some random person below the top choice if you really feel like you need to vote for some reason (just because the top choice is likely to be the "default choice" with the most backing).

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Ytlaya posted:

Yeah, the thing about the Russia stuff is that the most important response (improving election security and general political IT) is rarely given focus by liberals and Democratic politicians, with the focus instead going to prosecution of individuals. While the latter should still be done, it isn't really important in the grand scheme of things; it won't stop future electoral interference, and it wouldn't have any positive impact on peoples' lives.

Well uh I mean there was a push for extra funding for election security but for some reason the political party currently holding all three branches of government decided it wasn't a priority.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

kidkissinger posted:

What are you even trying to argue here? Like, you do realize Putin controlling Russia is a direct result of US meddling in Russian elections right?

:thejoke:

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

I shouldn't post when I have a migraine.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
It is also why usual calls of "whataboutism" is usually a distraction from genuine hypocrisy. If anything the result is pretty much the equivalent of screaming into a mirror.

Any actual "leftist" that supports going after crushing the population under some strongman isn't actually a leftist, be it in: Russia, Turkey, Iran, or China (soon to be half the world). "Class solidary" doesn't come from using the might of the US to undermine whatever portions of humanity get in our way. (It also doesn't help usually we are directly responsible for those strongmen being in power.)

Ardennes fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Aug 14, 2018

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

DrNutt posted:

Well uh I mean there was a push for extra funding for election security but for some reason the political party currently holding all three branches of government decided it wasn't a priority.

Extra funding is meaningless, though. Money isn't the core problem and never was. And even if money was the biggest issue, the amount that Dems pushed for is generally considered by experts to be far too little to accomplish anything meaningful. Halfassing security is only good for looking like you're doing something.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
The Bad Dems aren't interested in doing anything meaningful to secure elections, because their main reason for why they care about Russia is so they can pretend that their ideology isn't completely discredited.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Lightning Knight posted:

loving hell its the primary today and I didn’t realize I’d have to pick a governor candidate too fuuuuuuuck

Edit: fuuuuck I should’ve looked at this last week there’s so many dudes

The state treasurer race makes me suspicious, the lady that’s been endorsed by OR and WFP doesn’t actually seem like the best of the three. :(

Actually all three of these seem... bad.

Also I am super torn on who to vote for for governor fuuuuuck

What state?

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Ytlaya posted:

I feel like, if you're not sure when it comes to a primary, you may as well just not vote (since there's no real benefit to an ignorant primary vote). It might be worth voting for some random person below the top choice if you really feel like you need to vote for some reason (just because the top choice is likely to be the "default choice" with the most backing).

I mostly figured it out.

The only difficult one is governor. I could vote for McCabe, who is the DSA members’ choice, but he has about as much chance of becoming governor as I do. I think I’m going to vote for Mitchell, who seems like the best of the normal candidates and comes from a firefighter union background.

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Not as taciturn, but still terribly powerful...

Lightning Knight posted:

I could vote for McCabe, who is the DSA members’ choice, but he has about as much chance of becoming governor as I do.

I don’t know McCabe, but vote for Good Candidates. This isn’t betting on the Super Bowl, you don’t get a prize for picking the ultimate winner.

The only way we make progress is to keep pressing the vote count for leftist candidates until the mainstream party can’t ignore us. No matter what they say about the lesser of two evils.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Pakistani Brad Pitt posted:

I don’t know McCabe, but vote for Good Candidates. This isn’t betting on the Super Bowl, you don’t get a prize for picking the ultimate winner.

The only way we make progress is to keep pressing the vote count for leftist candidates until the mainstream party can’t ignore us. No matter what they say about the lesser of two evils.

The problem is that there’s ten candidates and it has a high probability of being one of the lovely businesspeople. I actually like Mitchell and think he’s fine tbh.

werdnam
Feb 16, 2011
The scientist does not study nature because it is useful to do so. He studies it because he takes pleasure in it, and he takes pleasure in it because it is beautiful. If nature were not beautiful it would not be worth knowing, and life would not be worth living. -- Henri Poincare

Lightning Knight posted:

The problem is that there’s ten candidates and it has a high probability of being one of the lovely businesspeople. I actually like Mitchell and think he’s fine tbh.

Ugh, this is why we need approval voting. Or at least something better than first past the post.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

If McCain makes it through the elections and AZ elects a Democratic governor -- is there anything besides :decorum: stopping someone from changing party affiliation to R so they can be selected to fill this seat?

I thought someone said months ago the answer is yes.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

feel like the state supreme court would be able to figure out that someone was a democrat 24 hours before they came out as a republican on the news mccain was announced dead and there may be a reason the parties on a state level don't regularly try to game out fake affiliations like that for national senate seats but who knows

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Berke Negri posted:

feel like the state supreme court would be able to figure out that someone was a democrat 24 hours before they came out as a republican on the news mccain was announced dead and there may be a reason the parties on a state level don't regularly try to game out fake affiliations like that for national senate seats but who knows

Well a savvy party would be switching someone 8 months ago in preparation for such an eventuality but you know...

I don’t believe for a second that if the roles were reversed that the 2018 Republicans wouldn’t stuff the seat with some Democrat who never changed his affiliation since he was on the George Wallace campaign.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
Wisconsin primary results were moderately disappointing, alas.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

Well a savvy party would be switching someone 8 months ago in preparation for such an eventuality but you know...

I don’t believe for a second that if the roles were reversed that the 2018 Republicans wouldn’t stuff the seat with some Democrat who never changed his affiliation since he was on the George Wallace campaign.

its the kind of scummy tactic the az gop would do but it wouldnt really be necessary as im sure there's some poo poo head rural dem they could tap anyways

which is how i explained things earlier probably the dems would just appoint some central phoenix ostensibly liberal gop person who doesn't care for trump and probably doesn't really want the seat because they're retired, we got a ton of those lying around

provided a dem actually wins the race in nov

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

but yeah in some kind of zero sum chess game you could have someone switch affiliation once mccains cancer was known (but not yet disclosed to the media) and then stump on being a real business conservative for like 18 months or however long it takes for mccain to die apparently, then appoint them but

this isn't really how people operate because anyone you would probably put on senate isn't some isolated cell commando but a local narcissist who isnt ideologically driven enough to just be a spy or false flag for a chunk of their 40s or 50s

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Berke Negri posted:

Hey, it worked for Jim Justice. It's not really something the court system is going to give a poo poo about - if someone is a fake Republican, that's not illegal, and it's voters' responsibility to figure that out.

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things

Berke Negri posted:

What could the remedy possibly be? Order the current fake Republican to resign and the Governor to appoint a new fake Republican? By the time it actually goes through the legal system the issue is probably moot anyways.

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

I wasn't arguing this is likely to happen. I don't know much about the AZ Democratic gubernatorial candidate, and absent evidence otherwise I'd just assume they are probably the stripe of Democrat that would be totally happy with a 'adult in the room' Kasich/McCain 'liberal Republican' type Republican being nominated to the seat, which is emblematic of 90% of what we talk about in this thread. I'm just saying this is the kind of raw political power play that Democrats are going to have to get a lot more comfortable with if they want to compete on equal ground in a post-Trump world.

I don't think we can return to vague unenforced fairness & decorum without at very least the vast majority of the county reflecting on what's gone on in the last 20 years, agreeing it was largely bullshit, and actually passing Constitutional amendments to provide fair remedies for things like gerrymandering, filibustering, supreme court size, packing, justice-stealing etc. And hell, triple :toxx: me if I live to see that day, I'll happily pay the re-reg fees.

Considering that we will never live in that world, you have to use every dirty trick and scrap of power available in order to compete.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Berke Negri posted:

if there isn't a law about having to maintain party affiliation for a set period before filing then there's not really much that can be done to prevent that

this literally just happened in north carolina with a state supreme court candidate who took advantage of a loophole in another election meddling scheme to switch from d to r at the last minute to run as a spoiler against the republican incumbent

the legislature called an emergency session to pass a new bill forcing the guy to run as an independent and it immediately got shot down in court

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/theintercept/status/1030065462783172608

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
Satanic Dan Akyroyd

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
Aretha Franklin has passed away. An article in WaPo discussing her impact on the Civil Rights Movement and anti-war protests in the ‘60s.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

Elephant Ambush posted:

Satanic Dan Akyroyd

We should have known when he started selling glass skulls full of vodka.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

BGrifter posted:

We should have known when he started selling glass skulls full of vodka.

LOL my dad got me an autographed bottle of that stuff as a Christmas gift a few years back. The vodka was awful but I kept the autographed skull because hey why not. Ghostbusters was rad.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
.....how do you gently caress up vodka?

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Mulva posted:

Cheap out on the distillation.

FayGate
Oct 5, 2012

Mulva posted:

Distill it in things made out of copper.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

I’m probably late with this. But have you guys seen Warren’s accountable capitalism act? It’s a loving hardon inducing bit of legislation that will likely never pass but goddam am I glad to see it happen.

https://www.vox.com/2018/8/15/17683022/elizabeth-warren-accountable-capitalism-corporations

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Crystal Head vodka is pretty good, actually.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

The Kingfish posted:

trump-wrong.gif

punishedkissinger fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Aug 16, 2018

DeadmansReach
Mar 7, 2006
Thinks Jewish converts should be genocided to make room for the "real" Jews.

Put this anti-Semite on ignore immediately!

The Kingfish posted:

ACSHUALLY

It's garbage.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord
It tastes like you're paying for the bottle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Nothus posted:

It tastes like you're paying for the bottle.
Yeah.

In fairness, the variance in taste on vodka is very small relative to other liquors. Bad vodka is bad, but it's got nothing on bad whiskey, bad gin, or bad tequila.

• Locked thread