Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Throatwarbler in the old thread posted:

So, uh, someone is threatening, falsely and maliciously, to report to the school that I had sexually harrased them. Should I pre-emptively go to the school administration with copies of all communications and ask that something be done about these threats? I mean I guess there's not that much that can be done probably since no actual report has been made but at least it might help if the threat was carried out?

Throatwarbler posted:

You guys would get a real kick out of how this sexual harassment thing is working out. Unfortunately the details would be too identifiable.

dear throatwarbler:

1) post the emails
2) please conclude this sexual harassment storyline before moving on to a "what it's like to own slaves" season 3

govern yourself accordingly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."

Yuns posted:

Hey! Dubai/UAE outlawed outright slavery in 1963.

Nah. Just “we’ll give you a job and pay your travel room and board. If you leave before you’ve repaid us we’ll press charges. By the way your room and board cost more than we are paying you.”

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.

Soothing Vapors posted:

but sadly no one would post the words "the availability of affordable domestic help in Dubai are big draws, and I'm fine with Shari'a" unless they are trolling

I don’t know, I think he laid some solid groundwork for Clueless Idiot with the are you a Jew email saga. If it’s a troll, it’s a long con.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

ActusRhesus posted:

Nah. Just “we’ll give you a job and pay your travel room and board. If you leave before you’ve repaid us we’ll press charges. By the way your room and board cost more than we are paying you.”

also, we're paying you half of what we promised you originally

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
We're also going to hold onto your passports until your debt is satisfied.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

Soothing Vapors posted:

phil moscowitz voted for trump and you have the nerve to imply I'm the worst person in this thread????

Making poo poo up now, totally uncalled for

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."

Mr. Nice! posted:

We're also going to hold onto your passports until your debt is satisfied.

“This your family? Cute daughter. You wanna see her again? We got a job for her too.”

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Phil Moscowitz posted:

"Failed even to be hired to snatch brown babies from their mother's breasts."

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Phil Moscowitz posted:

we live in a post-truth society, deal with it old man

Look Sir Droids posted:

I don’t know, I think he laid some solid groundwork for Clueless Idiot with the are you a Jew email saga. If it’s a troll, it’s a long con.

I will definitely agree he has put some serious manhours into pretending to be a moron

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

ActusRhesus posted:

“This your family? Cute daughter. You wanna see her again? We got a job for her too.”

"You will earn $300 a month. In exchange for this opportunity you owe us a $2,400 recruitment fee."

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

joat mon posted:

"Failed even to be hired to snatch brown babies from their mother's breasts."

If the jackboot fits, wear it

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Soothing Vapors posted:

phil moscowitz voted for trump and you have the nerve to imply I'm the worst person in this thread????

He always struck me as more of the Gary Johnson type.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

I'm with her!*

*I want to stay married

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
Both threads have been ON FIRE these last few days. Keep up the good work, everyone.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

blarzgh posted:

Both threads have been ON FIRE these last few days. Keep up the good work, everyone.

Well, you know what they say.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Nice piece of fish posted:

Well, you know what they say.

No one can hear you scream in a cabin in the woods?

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

blarzgh posted:

No, that's what he says to the goons that come over to visit.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
It’s the implication.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
It's not called the stabbin' cabin for nothing

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
that reminds me, I found cloudberry flavored yogurt in my local yuppiefood store and when I saw it I was gripped by an overwhelming, jealous hatred of Nice Fish so intense it took my breath away

plz invite me to yr cabin so I can talented Mr Ripley you, tia

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

blarzgh posted:

I can't recall actually, I'm under attack from a roving band of about six pitchers of sangria and I appear to be losing

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Soothing Vapors posted:

that reminds me, I found cloudberry flavored yogurt in my local yuppiefood store and when I saw it I was gripped by an overwhelming, jealous hatred of Nice Fish so intense it took my breath away

plz invite me to yr cabin so I can talented Mr Ripley you, tia

Absolutely. You bring the spring onions and I'll bring the goat milk.

Oh no. There's another senorita bringing more intoxicant. I'll say hello from you guys.

E: it wasnt the waitress

Nice piece of fish fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Aug 14, 2018

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

NPOF, do they have same-sex marriage in Norway? Asking for a friend. I'm 1/16 Norwegian btw, but could easily pass as 1/8. My friend, I mean, is, and could.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

I shall devour your soul.
Grimey Drawer

Vox Nihili posted:

Maybe try to work for a US/UK firm in Russia anyway? I can only imagine that this would help your chances of eventually getting out, even if they have no interest in letting you transfer internally.

I tried. The problem with these is the market.

Virtually all business for lawyers in Russia currently comes from litigation (especially bankruptcy, because no one who isn't a Putin crony has any money). With the singular exceptions of Clifford Chance and Dentons, UK/US firms do not have substantial litigation practices in Russia. Their bread and butter are contractual and M&A work for London offices, and, for some of them (Norton Rose, Freshfields, and Baker McKenzie, most importantly), international arbitration (which is often lumped with litigation into "dispute resolution"). Litigation clients can't afford US/UK firm rates, and, if we're being real, Russian firms are much better at litigation. There are no contracts or M&A work because Russia is Russia. As a result, none of these practice areas have enough work for these firms to warrant any hires other than an occasional paralegal (which isn't the same thing as it is in US/UK, in Russia paralegal is like a junior junior associate/legal secretary/translator) straight out of a top three Moscow (remember, there is no Russia, there is only Moscow -- and I'm not from Moscow) law school once every year or two. It can be more or less egregious (Skadden for more, Dentons for less), but the general pattern is the same in every one of them

The only way I'd even be considered for one of these firms would be if I were to qualify under English law

E: Getting qualified under English law would require me to go to England and spend 3 years studying for a GDL. The "go to England" part is still problematic. And no one will give me a loan, which I would inevitably need to be able to afford it

E2: dammit I thought I was too lazy to do an effortpost but apparently I can do effort just fine as long as it's me complaining

E3: I forgot about Bryan Cave Leighton Paisner, they also have a litigation practice from when they were Goltsblat BLP (yes they had a Russian partner's name in the firm name, it was officially "Goltsblat BLP, the Russian practice of Berwin Leighton Paisner". The dude, by his own admission, lucked out with helping Mars establish presence in Russia in the early 90s and therefore became an eminent practitioner)

nutri_void fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Aug 14, 2018

Adar
Jul 27, 2001
a plausible shortcut here involves going to the US / other relevant country to get an LLM and then using the LLM to get in with them instead. LLMs are 1-2 years depending on the country/program.

this heavily violates the 'do not go to law school' ethos of this thread, but it's the only reason Western LLMs exist, so there's that

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

The horde of Chinese and European lawyers rushing over to get their LLM in the US are basically viewed as cash pinatas by US law schools. To the extent that they're somehow helping to subsidize the core $60k for a JD business, even.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

I shall devour your soul.
Grimey Drawer
I already have a Swedish LLM and no, Swedish firms don't care. European firms that aren't Beiten Burkhardt are in the same position, just scaled down a bit. Or a lot.

A US/UK LLM won't be quite that useless, but it won't be of much help either. As I said, these firms simply never have openings, and that won't change until the inevitable paradigm shift that will happen when Putin dies or gets too old to have control over anything. Assuming that the shift will be for the better, which isn't a given

nutri_void fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Aug 14, 2018

RFX
Nov 23, 2007
I just started reading the last thread and this one after a year hiatus, which seems to correspond with when I started seeking help and started taking Prozac. I still hate my biglaw job and want to do something else, but at least I don't have breakdowns in the middle of work anymore and can make it through the day doing my job semi-competently.

Basically: Don't go to law school, but if you already did, please see a mental health professional.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

RFX posted:

I just started reading the last thread and this one after a year hiatus, which seems to correspond with when I started seeking help and started taking Prozac. I still hate my biglaw job and want to do something else, but at least I don't have breakdowns in the middle of work anymore and can make it through the day doing my job semi-competently.

Basically: Don't go to law school, but if you already did, please see a mental health professional.

This is good advice and kudos for being smart enough to get some help

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

lmfao

Soothing Vapors posted:

A big part of problem is that most people, yourself included, don't even understand the freeman's ideology. The ABA is an extremely powerful, protectionist organization, and they're out there running NONSTOP interference trying to make freemen who attempt to take the law into their own hands look bad. Look at these f*cking hitpieces run by an allegedly "neutral" organization:

http://www.abajournal.com/magazine/article/sovereign_citizens_plaster_courts_with_bogus_legal_filings/
http://www.abajournal.com/news/article/former_subway_pitchman_tries_sovereign_citizen_approach
http://www.abajournal.com/news/article/jury_convicts_sovereign_citizen_of_filing_false_liens_against_federal_judge
http://www.abajournal.com/news/article/helpless_sap_gets_10_years_for_bogus_liens_on_federal_judge_and_prosecutor
http://www.abajournal.com/news/article/posner_informs_pro_se_litigant_that_the_queen_of_england_did_not_absolve_hi

Look at the PEJORATIVE, needless language the ABA journal throws around. A freeman isn't just wrong in the eyes of the ABA, he's "HAPLESS." A pro se litigant isn't just wrong in the eyes of the ABA, he's "UNINTELLIGIBLE." These aren't the words of a neutral authority -- they're the words of a guild trying to prevent the free market (the PUBLIC in this case) from competing fairly with guild members.

Almost everything you know -- or "think" you know -- about the freeman movement comes from drivel you're fed by the ABA and its stooges (aka the 10.3 million lawyers currently infesting the united states). Do a little research sometime on non-ABA associated sites and you might understand the ideology a little better.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

look I'm really bored

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

I mean, you’re producing some excellent work product.

Toona the Cat
Jun 9, 2004

The Greatest

Rack ‘em.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.
A+ trolling

Eminent Domain
Sep 23, 2007

My God.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Soothing Vapors posted:

look I'm really bored

Please keep posting the legal thread, but make sure your posting isn't quite frequent enough to arouse suspicion.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

nm posted:

Please keep posting the legal thread, but make sure your posting isn't quite frequent enough to arouse suspicion.

I was never going to post again (I really just wanted to post "common law means it's for the common man") but I am weak and lack discipline

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.

It’s too bad you can’t do colored text. But can you increase/decrease font size?

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Soothing Vapors posted:

I was never going to post again (I really just wanted to post "common law means it's for the common man") but I am weak and lack discipline

Sadly euphro took you seriously because he refuses to read this thread as outta depressing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RFX
Nov 23, 2007

Soothing Vapors posted:

This is good advice and kudos for being smart enough to get some help

Thanks! This thread actually was a big reason - I think it was Slyfrog (sorry if not) who was being very open and made me realize that I had issues to address as well and I needed to take some sort of action.