Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

OfChristandMen posted:

The Veldaklen getting Advantage on Cha, Int AND Wis saving throws seems super powerful.

It’s only on saving throws. So it’s really only wisdom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Being banished kinda sucks. Being plane shifted if loving awful.

escalator dropdown
Jan 24, 2007

Like all good stories, the second act begins with a call to action and the building of a robot.

yes, clearly errata and clarifications can be handled via twitter rather than proper errata/updates, this couldn’t possibly cause confusion

https://twitter.com/jeremyecrawford/status/596189921318023168?s=21

https://twitter.com/jeremyecrawford/status/1029177242985742337?s=21

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Dragonatrix posted:

Champion Fighter is boring as sin as is. Give it something interesting that still keeps it a "simple" option while making it an actual choice to use if you want to be A Good Fighter:

Functionally just turn mooks into 4e minions, because you're good at fighting. Do you hit? Great, they're dead don't worry about it. Do you miss? gently caress that, no you don't, you're good at fighting. Since you'd probably still roll for ~critical hits~ let's just go and make that more worthwhile too.

Speaking of which, just drop Superior Critical to the 3rd level ability instead of 15, so it can actually matter. Upgrade Survivor so you always regen some HP whenever you're not just dying outright, or drop it and replace it with something that's active and useful.

Change this to “medium or smaller creatures” at level 7 and then “large or smaller creatures” at level 15 and it would be rad.

Maybe also make this more for melee fighters than ranged fighters? Maybe give something similar but not quite the same, like losing the “you no longer miss” portion and the critical hit bonus, but maybe giving them something like “when you kill a medium or smaller creature in this way, you get an attack of opportunity against another creature in range. You can repeat this as many times as your dexterity bonus.”

Verisimilidude fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Aug 14, 2018

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene
let fighters use creatures up to one size smaller than them as one handed improvised weapons (or up to their own size as a two-handed improvised weapon)

set damage at 1d4 for tiny, 1d6 for small, 1d8 for medium, 1d10 for large, etc

damage is dealt to both the target and the weapon

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
That must be in there somewhere because thats how everyone runs the game.

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

I'll keep chucking bombs at you til you fall off that ledge!
Grimey Drawer
Disagree that Fighters should ignore a 1. That takes a ton of fun/tension out of rolling the friggin d20 in the first place. Instead fighers should get specific spell-like effects at different d20 rolls that improve as they level. I roll a 12? Ok I did an awesome move that blinds my opponent for a round. An 18 reduces target's Dex by 6 because I slashed the hell out of his tendons. Etc.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Yes, having powers chosen by the die instead of the player is great fun and agency!

That’s the worst part of the 13th Age fighter, it doesn’t need to spread.

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Die roll at or below grants the special move...is what I meant to write. Point being make the dice roll exciting -- by both giving choices and (rarely) punishing the player.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Smashing Link posted:

Die roll at or below grants the special move...is what I meant to write. Point being make the dice roll exciting -- by both giving choices and (rarely) punishing the player.

So after I decide to attack, I look at the N special moves permitted by the die and then choose between them?

Why not just always give those choices so they can plan?

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Could work a number of different ways but I think the dice roll constraining choices as well as giving choices makes it more exciting, IMHO.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
I mean, the right answer is to embrace that magic is king in D&D and make martial PCs into walking magical armories. Fire Sword that does d4 fireballs per day, Ice Spear that freezes enemies, Lightning whip that calls storms and a big magnetic ball and chain that lets you katamari enemies in full plate. Just go hog wild because nothing you would put in your game is more disruptive to "game" "balance" than plane shift, wish and resurrection poo poo anyway. Have fun.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Philthy posted:

Being banished kinda sucks. Being plane shifted if loving awful.
The party was doing something stupid so I banished myself so I didn't have to deal with it. I couldn't make the next session so in-game I spent the whole time relaxing on the plane of very comfy pillows until I felt capable of dealing with them again.

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

I can't remember if I posted bitching about this two weeks ago but I finally had to leave the group of randoms I joined to pick up 5e again, because two of the players are really just ruining the experience for everyone. Suddenly deciding they're doing something retroactively (oh I cast X on him earlier by the way), talking over everyone including the DM, and for me the most frustrating, rolling checks and THEN telling us/the DM. (I rolled a 20 for athletics, so I pick the boulder up).

Another player and I did talk to the DM about it and he did agree but then yesterday was another 4 hour shitshow and I just felt like the DM doesn't really know what to do about it. He was kind of hinting it would be easier with less players (we're 7 now when everyone shows up...) so I bit the bullet.

Just goes to show, you gotta be nice and play well but also the DM is responsible for this sorta stuff and it falls apart if they don't step up. Nevermind tho - I am having way more fun DMing for my coworkers who, while new, are all really well behaved and listen to me. Oh well!!!

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

tote up a bags posted:

I can't remember if I posted bitching about this two weeks ago but I finally had to leave the group of randoms I joined to pick up 5e again, because two of the players are really just ruining the experience for everyone. Suddenly deciding they're doing something retroactively (oh I cast X on him earlier by the way), talking over everyone including the DM, and for me the most frustrating, rolling checks and THEN telling us/the DM. (I rolled a 20 for athletics, so I pick the boulder up).

Another player and I did talk to the DM about it and he did agree but then yesterday was another 4 hour shitshow and I just felt like the DM doesn't really know what to do about it. He was kind of hinting it would be easier with less players (we're 7 now when everyone shows up...) so I bit the bullet.

Just goes to show, you gotta be nice and play well but also the DM is responsible for this sorta stuff and it falls apart if they don't step up. Nevermind tho - I am having way more fun DMing for my coworkers who, while new, are all really well behaved and listen to me. Oh well!!!
Did you grab contact details for the good players? Everyone forgets to tell people stage two of no gaming is better than bad gaming, which is poaching the not-trash players for a new table.

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Splicer posted:

Did you grab contact details for the good players? Everyone forgets to tell people stage two of no gaming is better than bad gaming, which is poaching the not-trash players for a new table.

Oh hell yeah you know I did :D I don't want to take them from the DM who is really good when he's not being talked over/challenged, but maybe if he wants to do a victory lap of better players some day I would join. (Not saying I'm an amazing player, I just don't bark out rules verbatim from the PHB at random times)

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

The Gate posted:

Level 20 Fighter capstone should just include something like:

"You have reached the pinnacle of skill at arms. On attack rolls, you only miss on a roll of natural 1 when making a weapon attack against a target's AC. If you are able to reach your target, you will almost always hit them.

Thats pretty close to the way it ended up in 1e/2e, just by the math.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

FRINGE posted:

Anything before 3e is an un-edition that never existed.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Arivia posted:

Anything before 3e is an un-edition that never existed.
What annoys me most about grognards is, look, I hate 5e with a firey passion, but you ask me something I'd pull from it for a theoretical 6e, or even stuff I'd explicitly backport for a 4e revamp, and I'll give you a three things off the top of my head. The idea of hating something so much that everything about it is somehow tainted just because it was in that system is just so stupid.

e: I was talking about 4e here not sure why I quoted this post for it

Splicer fucked around with this message at 12:33 on Aug 14, 2018

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

FRINGE posted:

This is also the way it ended up in 3e, and even in Pathfinder, also just by the math (technically because you needed excess attack bonus to be able to afford to Power Attack, but regardless).

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

The Gate posted:

Level 20 Fighter capstone should just include something like:

"Once per day, by force of arms, you defeat (but do not kill) a single thing that can be referred to with a proper noun".

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

AlphaDog posted:

"Once per day, by force of arms, you defeat (but do not kill) a single thing that can be referred to with a proper noun".

Faerun

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Yeah, you found the fatal flaw. When you've been playing for months or years, and everyone's just got to level 20 and the players are all excited for the climax of your long story... the fighter's player really might say "I reveal that all along without you knowing I have been that guy! Monkey cheese dishwasher! I defeat... FAERUN!".

If that happens in your game and ruins everything, I'll revise the wording just for you.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.
By or at level 20, a fighter could have this ability:

You have mastered the art of tactical scale warfare. In any single battle in which you personally participate, the side you support is guaranteed to win. If a character with the same ability participates on the other side of the battle, the battle becomes gridlocked until one character holding this ability defeats the other in personal combat.

shades of eternity
Nov 9, 2013

Where kitties raise dragons in the world's largest mall.
I came to a strange realization.

most people don't like fixed games.

They want fixer-uppers so they can tweak and causes endorphins to fill the brain if you "fix it" as another version of the empowerment fantasy.

They might not even be aware of it, and hide their changes with nostalgia.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

Don't tell them about chip damage in fighting games.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

AlphaDog posted:

Yeah, this is the level of craziness that I want to see. 4e had the right idea with the epic tier destinies thing. Add that poo poo into 6e or 5.5 and have it start around 8-10 with the major stuff online by 15. Absurd capstone at 20 because why not.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
"I defeat Death, and claim immortality"

(this is not a complaint)

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I think that was one of the martial Epic Destinies in 4e. The other one I can think of is the one for rogues that let them steal things like someone's will to live.

poorlifedecision
Feb 13, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
I wish I got to play DnD enough to hate a version. I just started DMing a 5e campaign and I've had an ongoing 4e game for a couple years (with only monthly games) and honestly my 4e players should probably be using 5e and visa versa. The 5e players are exploratory and try creative things and the 4e players just kind of slap a finger down on a power they don't ever remember or bother to review and say they cast it.

I love the tactical nature of 4e but I can't use it much because I'd murder my players in about 5 seconds since they've never bothered to get a grip on combat or tactics or power usage beyond damage.

Proud Rat Mom
Apr 2, 2012

did absolutely fuck all

poorlifedecision posted:

I wish I got to play DnD enough to hate a version. I just started DMing a 5e campaign and I've had an ongoing 4e game for a couple years (with only monthly games) and honestly my 4e players should probably be using 5e and visa versa. The 5e players are exploratory and try creative things and the 4e players just kind of slap a finger down on a power they don't ever remember or bother to review and say they cast it.

I love the tactical nature of 4e but I can't use it much because I'd murder my players in about 5 seconds since they've never bothered to get a grip on combat or tactics or power usage beyond damage.

poorlifedecision posted:

After a succesful campaign, why not ask them if they would play 4e? It’s been a couple of years for me but I’ve convinced my bunch of players whose only role playing knowledge + experience starts and ends with 5e to start a Delta Green campaign next week.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Splicer posted:

"I defeat Death, and claim immortality"

(this is not a complaint)
This is why, even if I never reached that point, I loved the prospect of boring but practical Fighter Epic of "So I just, get more healing surges back every five minutes. Also I can't die. Nothing fancy, I'm just heroic Jason Vorhees now."

You're not going to gently caress off to create/become your own plane of existence. You're just going to settle in, finally get back to blacksmithing, and generally gently caress with Bahamut every time he tries to pull the incognito old man trick on a group of fresh faced adventurers.

I also loved the idea of whatever Rogue epic it was that let you steal concepts from people you "bring to zero hitpoints." Eye color and memories being given examples. You are so good at stealing poo poo, that you became a rainbow bright villain because material wealth bores you.

("Bring to zero hitpoints" was my favorite fine print in 4th ed because you got to get away with more cool poo poo without going full murder hobo. And do hilarious stuff with powers thematically based on "You summon their undead shade!... Uh, even though he's still alive 10 feet away").

Section Z fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Aug 14, 2018

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
"Hi I'm Davey Sixshadows and I hear you're a badguy"
*time passes*
"Another successful quest for Davey Sevenshadows"

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Splicer posted:

*time passes*
:neckbeard:

Why do I love poo poo like this so much?

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Splicer posted:

*time passes*

This is how Liches and Dragons operate.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Last week I started DMing the starter box adventure via Slack for my wife and closest two friends. I'm really enjoying it so far and even spent some $ on D&D Beyond, and I'm considering visiting an Adventurer's League game now.

For what I enjoy the system doesn't really matter. If I wanted consistent and mathematically balanced tactical games, I'd play video games. D&D just has the advantage of having the most players, the most infrastructure, the least friction to getting people to play it, vs convincing my friends to learn Earthdawn or something.

I've played a little Pathfinder, Star Wars D6, Starfinder, and I've collected tons of books I love that will never get played... the aforementioned Earthdawn, Elric!, etc. I can't get people to play those, but I can get people to play D&D. A mediocre system you can play > a great system you can't get to the table.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Splicer posted:

*time passes*
The notion of stealing the intangible is like, an infinite story generator.

"The victorious general marched home with his men after a glorious victory. None could topple him or his host, 'til I got my hands on the respect and loyalty of his men."

As you continue to swap stories with the wizened old thief, you here a jangling outside his door. Glancing out the window, you see someone has emptied a bag of gold onto his porch. As you turn to comment, he shakes his head and smirks. "As a younger man I stole the devotion of a god. You know, a lesser one, I'm not crazy. Turns out it's hard to get rid of and honestly, more trouble than it's worth."

Your eyes turn towards a bejeweled crown and scepter on his mantle. Looking back at him, expecting another wild story, he simply shrugs. "Cut the throat of the man holding em. Not every job calls for subtlety."

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Imagined posted:

Last week I started DMing the starter box adventure via Slack for my wife and closest two friends. I'm really enjoying it so far and even spent some $ on D&D Beyond, and I'm considering visiting an Adventurer's League game now.

For what I enjoy the system doesn't really matter. If I wanted consistent and mathematically balanced tactical games, I'd play video games. D&D just has the advantage of having the most players, the most infrastructure, the least friction to getting people to play it, vs convincing my friends to learn Earthdawn or something.

I've played a little Pathfinder, Star Wars D6, Starfinder, and I've collected tons of books I love that will never get played... the aforementioned Earthdawn, Elric!, etc. I can't get people to play those, but I can get people to play D&D. A mediocre system you can play > a great system you can't get to the table.

That's great you're having fun with it, and that's exactly the reason why I play D&D myself.

I will, however, continue to discuss the problems the system has, how to solve them where they are solvable, recommend different systems as alternatives to those who have the willingness and/or opportunity to try them, and stand against people who use the fact that they enjoy playing the system as some kind of bulwark against criticism.

Because, you know, liking bad things is okay. I don't think enough people can get that through their heads, that you can both like something and accept it has faults, or that it might even be - generally speaking - not good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

The notion of stealing the intangible is like, an infinite story generator.

"The victorious general marched home with his men after a glorious victory. None could topple him or his host, 'til I got my hands on the respect and loyalty of his men."

As you continue to swap stories with the wizened old thief, you here a jangling outside his door. Glancing out the window, you see someone has emptied a bag of gold onto his porch. As you turn to comment, he shakes his head and smirks. "As a younger man I stole the devotion of a god. You know, a lesser one, I'm not crazy. Turns out it's hard to get rid of and honestly, more trouble than it's worth."

Your eyes turn towards a bejeweled crown and scepter on his mantle. Looking back at him, expecting another wild story, he simply shrugs. "Cut the throat of the man holding em. Not every job calls for subtlety."
If you have sympathy for the campaign big bad.

Before they die, you steal their memory of having just failed.

(Stuff like this is why exclaiming "I can't roleplay in this system!" is a running gag with my friends)

Section Z fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Aug 14, 2018