Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

gently caress it, why not, every time something good happens in the X-books they completely abandon it right away anyways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Oh, dear. Please don't pay Byrne to publish his fanfic.

Speak
Jul 20, 2001

"Education Professional" model Doombot
http://www.byrnerobotics.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=53933&PN=1&totPosts=7 Here's that project he's been working on.

For a person whose first TPB purchase ever was The Dark Phoenix Saga (the first printing with that wild Sienkewicz cover), this to me looks like the X-Men I first fell in love with.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Yeah, I missed those good ol' days of Wolverine sexually assaulting children!

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Eeesh please don't bring Byrne back. It's almost like C.B. Cebulski is a slightly more toned down version of Johns sort of. What has Bryne's work been like these last few years?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Jiro posted:

Eeesh please don't bring Byrne back. It's almost like C.B. Cebulski is a slightly more toned down version of Johns sort of. What has Bryne's work been like these last few years?

What work? *Pause for laughter*

Although seriously, the last thing I know he did is some sort of 'photonovel' Star Trek comic for IDW but I couldn't tell you anything more than it exists.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Jiro posted:

Johns was never an editor in chief and he didn't hire John Byrne what are you even talking about

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

This is Rhyno's punishment for linking breitbart

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Mr Hootington posted:

This is Rhyno's punishment for linking breitbart

I SAID I WAS SORRY

Even if he takes it we know his ego can't handle being edited.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Rhyno posted:

I SAID I WAS SORRY

Even if he takes it we know his ego can't handle being edited.

You actually didn't and now we have to live with this.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

Endless Mike posted:

Yeah, I missed those good ol' days of Wolverine sexually assaulting children!

What?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Did you not see the page of Wolverine grabbing Kitty (who is 13) and spanking her? I don't blame you for not clicking through, though.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Endless Mike posted:

Did you not see the page of Wolverine grabbing Kitty (who is 13) and spanking her? I don't blame you for not clicking through, though.

You know, this could be the breaking point if somebody tells Byrne to cut it out and he goes into a frenzy about how Wolverine administering corporal punishment to a teenager is crucial to the plot.

I doubt they'd say anything to him, though.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Endless Mike posted:

Jesus this is like some rapey fan comic.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

twistedmentat posted:

Jesus this is like some rapey fan comic.

John Byrne is 68 years old.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Yep I've never seen that, I know Stan and Jack FF had Thing attempt to spank Jean Grey but thats clearly a fetish thing and also murder rip

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
That's gross.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!
That's hot.

I mean gross. That's gross.
phew, close one.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Look at Wolverine's face, too. Yikes.

Adnor
Jan 11, 2013

Justice for Daisy

Wheat Loaf posted:

John Byrne is 68 years old.

Only 68? Jesus he's younger than my dad was, I was sure he was in his mid 70s at least!

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

enigmahfc posted:

That's hot.

I mean gross. That's gross.
phew, close one.

You might be getting it confused with the panels from this one with Kitty and Illyana I once saw. Uh by total accident, yea that's the ticket.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
John Byrne is one year removed from 69.

69 guys.

:newlol:

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Gatts posted:

John Byrne is one year removed from 69.

69 guys.

:newlol:
Not nice. Maybe next year.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Sinners Sandwich posted:

Yep I've never seen that

That's cause it's brand new. He's been drawing X-Men pages for fun this year and it seems like its about to land him a new gig with Marvel.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Sinners Sandwich posted:

Yep I've never seen that, I know Stan and Jack FF had Thing attempt to spank Jean Grey but thats clearly a fetish thing and also murder rip

Do you mean Thing's fetish because otherwise I do not see how it being a fetish thing makes anything less strange

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Teenage Fansub posted:

That's cause it's brand new. He's been drawing X-Men pages for fun this year and it seems like its about to land him a new gig with Marvel.

I feel that they are always in contact with the old stars and whenever a new person gets in charge they reach out to people who are pissed at them. Something might happen but it could just fall apart.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
I have a sneaking suspicion that Byrne will say or do or be something stupid enough to kill the deal before anything actually gets published.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Wanderer posted:

I have a sneaking suspicion that Byrne will say or do or be something stupid enough to kill the deal before anything actually gets published.

I'm sure he has some enlightening things to say about minorities and handicapped people.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

I picked up the new Luke Cage because I like this new digital initiative Marvel is doing, and huh, that was not the topicality I was expecting, but it fits Luke really well.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
I don't know. Luke having concussions seems pretty lame to me but I'll always root for a Luke Cage series and I'll still read it. Someone's got to get it right eventually.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Rhyno posted:

I'm sure he has some enlightening things to say about minorities and handicapped people.

I've feel like I've complety blanked everything out of my mind of Bryne post 80s. Whats this context?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Sinners Sandwich posted:

I've feel like I've complety blanked everything out of my mind of Bryne post 80s. Whats this context?

There's a notorious story about Byrne making some stupid comments about the n-word in the context of an argument with a fan over whether it's called a speech bubble or a speech balloon, but I can't remember the details so I won't try to recap it.

As far as his comments on people with disabilities are concerned, the main one which occurs to me is when he was saying "Christopher Reeve wasn't a hero; he's in hell" shortly after Reeve died (probably because Byrne resents the idea of anyone being more associated with Superman than he is; I don't know but I wouldn't put it past him).

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Sinners Sandwich posted:

I know he was really pissed about Latina Jessica Alba playing Sue Storm in that not very good Fantastic Four movie.

Edit:

quote:

“Personal prejudice: Hispanic and Latino women with blond hair look like hookers to me, no matter how clean or ‘cute’ they are.”

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I like the cte thing in cage in theory but now that its out there that yes, in the marvel u heroes are getting permanent brain damage from their years of fighting its gonna be leaving a massive white elephant in the room thats never (probably) gonna be talked about after this

Other than that i liked it, this 40 page book thing works for me

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Luke is enough of a street level hero that I think you can tell this story with him and have people accept it as an element of the tone his book operates on. Like, if you do it with Captain America, it comes off weird because this guy regularly fights cosmic gods and gigantic robots, but Luke is a bit more grounded.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Wasn't there one time Bendis wrote Luke as being capable of surviving a nuclear blast?

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
That Luke Cage things sounds dumb as hell, is because of the TV show, and bendis did something like that in that secret war crossover that had nick fury start to become a bad guy.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Wheat Loaf posted:

Wasn't there one time Bendis wrote Luke as being capable of surviving a nuclear blast?

I'm not sure about that, but I feel like he did massively increase Luke's power level for... reasons, I guess. Or never knew what they were to being with anyway.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
Luke Cage is stronger than Captain America though so even in that sense it doesn't make sense. I liked Bendis knocking Luke up to the big leagues. If you keep him on that street level corner then the author is limiting themselves. Also street level heroes are sort of out of date with how gentrified New York City is now-a-days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

It makes sense the bulletproof man can still get his brain knocked around in his skull. Making Luke a metaphor for football players is perfectly fine.