Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Don't you realize that being nice just makes you get hurt?

GrandpaPants posted:

I like the idea behind eurekas, but their execution was basically this. I feel that they need to reduce their bonus (note I don't know if Rise and Fall did this) so that you're rewarded for doing certain things, rather than effectively penalized for not doing certain things. Like a 20% bonus to completion is still nice without being dominating. They can also add some variety to some of them so that you don't "have to" play one specific way.

They actually did this, Eurekas are worth 1/3 of progress instead of 1/2 now. Don't recall if RnF or a subsequent patch did this, but I want to say it was a RnF change.

Though, they added Era Scores in with RnF, which kind of give you a more vague checklist you have to go off memory for. For example I only just today in a PYDT learned having a Great Admiral linked to a naval unit get a kill earns you +2 era score (first kill only). I'm uncertain if this is per-great admiral, or a single opportunity. Probably the latter. I like those changes though, and they aren't anything I find myself going out of the way to achieve until i'm a few points shy of a Golden Age before the transition. It is super nice to know that your first Horseman is worth +2 era score though, especially if you're a few turns away from the era change and just below Gold.

onesixtwo fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Aug 13, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

onesixtwo posted:

They actually did this, Eurekas are worth 1/3 of progress instead of 1/2 now. Don't recall if RnF or a subsequent patch did this, but I want to say it was a RnF change.

Though, they added Era Scores in with RnF, which kind of give you a more vague checklist you have to go off memory for. For example I only just today in a PYDT learned having a Great Admiral linked to a naval unit get a kill earns you +2 era score (first kill only). I'm uncertain if this is per-great admiral, or a single opportunity. Probably the latter. I like those changes though, and they aren't anything I find myself going out of the way to achieve until i'm a few points shy of a Golden Age before the transition. It is super nice to know that your first Horseman is worth +2 era score though, especially if you're a few turns away from the era change and just below Gold.

A few others I usually forget, but was reminded of recently, are "got a governor promoted all the way" and "got all the governors." I pay more attention to the era score now that I accidentally entered the game's last era in a permanent dark age.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

onesixtwo posted:

They only bumped it down to 40%, so not a huge change.

I think it feels about right now for the most part. A few of the early game goals suck if you get hosed by the map generator but it's not completely crippling to do the occasional hard research. There's a certain amount of soft rubberbanding built into the system, where the longer it takes to research (because you missed a bonus) the more time you have to rack up other bonuses. So e.g. if you miss the bonus for Foreign Trade because of RNG, you've got some extra leeway on getting a district up in time for State Workforce. Missing Political Philosophy is still bullshit though.

The other issue is that the objectives don't scale, so "build X buildings" can either be onerous or trivial based on how large the map is. Still, despite the problems it's a really clever system that does a lot of cool things (see also: the entire history of the Civilization series.)

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

GrandpaPants posted:

I like the idea behind eurekas, but their execution was basically this. I feel that they need to reduce their bonus (note I don't know if Rise and Fall did this) so that you're rewarded for doing certain things, rather than effectively penalized for not doing certain things. Like a 20% bonus to completion is still nice without being dominating. They can also add some variety to some of them so that you don't "have to" play one specific way.

Get rid of beakers entirely, make eurekas repeatable and more granular and have that be the only way to get tech.

This is only 40% a joke post.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Autonomous Monster posted:

Get rid of beakers entirely, make eurekas repeatable and more granular and have that be the only way to get tech.

This is only 40% a joke post.

It's actually partially like an idea I was thinking of a few days ago, which was basically multiple, smaller Eurekas/Inspirations per tech/civic; not necessarily things you go massively out of your way to do, and some you're likely to get playing normally, but things that might make you go "okay, I want X and Y, and also want tech Z soon, X contributes to Z's progress while Y doesn't, so I'll do it first; having three of building A also provides one, so in this city I'll build one earlier than usual", etc. Issue is how to balance it to make smaller Eurekas worthwhile given the game's pace, without massively slowing tech progression down without them.

Though, the not-entirely-serious suggestion of trashing beakers actually has me thinking. But I'm also tired due to staying up far longer than was advisable so those ideas may not be good ones.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
I think I've mentioned this before but I'd like to see the tech system revamped in such a way that you don't get to choose which tech is researched - instead all the available techs get researched at the same time, with bonuses as a way to accelerate specific techs (a combo of eurekas and passive tech-specific breakers from working relevant tiles or buildings)

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

That would actually be much more interesting. One of my main beefs with the eureka system is how formulaic and repetitive it is. I'd like it a lot more if there were multiple ways to earn eurekas, or if you had to make choices with them, like gaining a significant boost to one but locking yourself off from another.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

SlothBear posted:

or if you had to make choices with them, like gaining a significant boost to one but locking yourself off from another.

To some extent this is baked into the system. If you've got a decent science/culture rate you're going to outpace your ability to earn boosts (especially on deep dives) and you'll have to start deciding which ones to prioritize over others, knowing that you're going to wind up wasting some research on unboosted techs. You can splash your research around a bit to give you more time to fish for boosts and maximize your efficiency, but at the cost of delaying your progress on the techs you specifically want.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
I recall 4 (or maybe 5?) introduced these quests, where usually you'd pick one bonus out of two for fulfilling certain conditions. I think I'd like that over the current system... although Eurakas were neat the first time, they seem to contribute to making every game a bit too similar for me. Although that's probably down to the interface which tends to make me take whichever path has the fewest units on screen i.e. culture every time.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Civ VI is currently on sale on Steam for $29.99.

Stabbatical
Sep 15, 2011

Marmaduke! posted:

I recall 4 (or maybe 5?) introduced these quests, where usually you'd pick one bonus out of two for fulfilling certain conditions. I think I'd like that over the current system... although Eurakas were neat the first time, they seem to contribute to making every game a bit too similar for me. Although that's probably down to the interface which tends to make me take whichever path has the fewest units on screen i.e. culture every time.

I thought that got introduced with Beyond Earth.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
Beyond the Sword, perhaps...

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Marmaduke! posted:

Beyond the Sword, perhaps...

BtS added events and quests, but Beyond Earth made them a guaranteed and predictable thing.

Stabbatical
Sep 15, 2011

Cythereal posted:

BtS added events and quests, but Beyond Earth made them a guaranteed and predictable thing.

I wouldn't call them predictable. I remember waiting a long time in many games for the ultrasonic fence choice to come up after I built one.

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador
I like Eurekas. Most of them are for things you're gonna want to be doing anyway, it's not like you have to go far out of your way to get your first trade route or kill three barbarians in the early game. If nothing else they're a decent list of progress markers to aim for. And then you get interesting decisions for the harder to achieve Eurekas. Like deciding whether to devote a coastal city to building two galleys for the boost that generates, or taking the science hit for a more optimal build order.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Psion posted:

except I asked, so they're not

the question wasn't about difficulty (BE isn't), it's about opacity (BE is)

thanks Cythereal

One other set of tips you may find useful is that I usually take the same order of social policies. This assumes a peaceful start, you may want to diverge into Might if you're having serious alien or Brasilian problems.

Prosperity: Frugality -> Homesteading -> Colony Initiative

This gets you a second city early - if you took Artists on your ship (I usually do, for this exact purpose), very early, typically before you've even researched Pioneering. Does assume you've found a good city site, though, so Colony Initiative can be delayed if you have a terrible starting location.

Prosperity: Workforce Initiative -> Pathfinders

The free worker is nice (I usually send it over to the Colony Initiative city), but Pathfinders is a terrific policy. Triples the amount of time your explorers can stay in the field, making your exploration and site searches much more efficient.

Industry: Labor Logistics -> Central Planning -> Standardized Architecture -> Profiteering -> Alternative Markets -> Social Investment -> Civic Duty -> Magnasanti

This path down the Industry tree gets you all the good stuff. Improved production and energy in all your cities (assuming no one's going crazy destroying stations, Alternative Markets will solve your energy problems for good), lots of health through Profiteering (trade routes are amazing and this makes them better) and Magnasanti, and Social Investment is a little situational but makes manufactories an even better investment.

This leaves you with two policies to go to get +10% production in all your cities, so I usually grab Commoditization and Scalable Infrastructure.

From here, it's largely down to personal preference. I usually return to the Prosperity tree to pick up Nature's Bounty (this will usually add up to a significant amount of production across your empire). Everything else in Prosperity is situational or nice to have but down to opportunity preference - Ecoscaping is great if you're making a lot of terrascapes (which you probably are if you're settling the poles), Settler Clans is helpful if you're still expanding, Joy From Variety and Eudaimonia are good if you need more health, etc.

The Might tree is only really useful if you're at war, but can be very helpful in that situation. Or if you just really hate aliens (I usually try to work around them and grab the Xenodrome, but personal preference). If you're going for an Emancipation victory, Might's production bonuses are probably worth grabbing.

Knowledge is the science and culture tree and as such is very powerful, but I've never had much trouble keeping comfortably ahead of the AI on tech and prefer industry and growth bonuses. Still, it's worth investing in if you're struggling.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

I think we're running out of time to start the Civ V PBEM game, looks like we're at 27 days since creation and they cancel at 30 without a start.

Also, i'm moving as of 8/20, so it would be ideal if we could get it up and running before we have to start over again? I'll be back online and able to reliably take turns again hopefully by 8/25. This will impact a few goon games going on for Civ 6 PYDT as well: No Korea, Inner Sea, Medieval, so just fyi.

Going to post a new Fall game for Civ VI when I get settled in, as well.

onesixtwo fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Aug 17, 2018

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
Oh yeah sorry, I kinda let that slip my mind. I'll try and get it kicked off this weekend, but I'll need to pester the participants for some timezone info.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Winter Goon Game has come to a close, here are some graphs:

Cue the, "holy poo poo, we need to kill Russia before we lose in literally 10 turns" world truce.

Indonesia, the most bloodied final three.

Based on all these graphs, the elimination of (then) AI Russia was absolutely the solidifying step of my victory. I was able to capture four major cities that had an obscene amount of (all of the) culture / great works / campuses they created.

:toot:

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

I'm curious. How slippery and sneaky do goon games get? Do people ever forgo traditional in-game alliances so people don't know they are getting along? Or do two people declare war on each other just so they can both sneak their troops near their actual enemy's borders without them realizing they are being joint attacked?

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

The Human Crouton posted:

I'm curious. How slippery and sneaky do goon games get? Do people ever forgo traditional in-game alliances so people don't know they are getting along? Or do two people declare war on each other just so they can both sneak their troops near their actual enemy's borders without them realizing they are being joint attacked?

As a rule of thumb, anything and everything is fair game I'd say. I've had some good steam chat diplomacy when there are serious reasons to line up against a common enemy, but can't say I often initiate that myself. That exact approach you outlined would be rather sneaky, but I would have a hard time trusting someone to uphold their side of that exact bargain.

Can say for certain several games have turned one sided due to the rest of the world not communicating soon enough to unite against an overwhelming force. In-game alliances also give bonuses, so they are useful to have set up, but only one person can win still so the alliance can only realistically last long enough to squash a common threat before someone is willingly giving up first place.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
Hey Elias_Maluco, can you add me on steam? For some reason I can't find you in a search, I think the period in your name is interfering with the search tool

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Hey Elias_Maluco, can you add me on steam? For some reason I can't find you in a search, I think the period in your name is interfering with the search tool

Are you squidgeny? If so, added you

The giantmultiplayerrobot client is windows only and unfortunately dont works on wine, it is possible to play without it?

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

I really love Civ 5 + 6 but after about 1000 hours I always return to Civ 4 while I wait for the next installment. Also, because 4 is so old it's blazing fast which helps with the fun.

I like districts but I don't feel like I miss them.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

The Human Crouton posted:

We played so many games years ago during the previous renaissance of games, that you developed long term idea through many games of who you can trust and how you can trust them. The backstabbing diplomacy was pretty impressive.

Vahakyla posted:

When the old Civ Goon steam group was active and we played online games (one set game day every day, 2h session, if everyone agreed, we'd go on longer, if one wanted to stop, we'd stop.), the diplomacy wheeling and dealing was good. And often the race to victory was one or two countries, with the rest remaining too far behind, but that didn't mean they were out of the game. Usually the major powers tried to use the lesser ones as bludgeons to harass the bigger ones, or as uranium farms, or as countries producing units and gifting them over the border, or something.

The World Congress votes were also a huge player diplomacy circus.

I once partook in the most amazing backstab where I and a fellow goon were bribed by a strong country to build a navy in secret to send it to his aid, and after receiving insane amounts of gold, built it, sailed across the ocean, and then using private game chat, sold our allegiance to his opponent, and the most powerful civ with a good lead in game was toppled and brought down by the navy and invasion force he paid for himself.

It was this Steam Group years ago. http://steamcommunity.com/groups/goonciv
We really didn't have much of house rules besides no war declaration for first 40 turns or so. Sometimes games would start from medieval age to speed up games. There'd be a set time to play, such as Sunday 1200 GMT, and the session lenght was 2 hours. If you had to leave earlier, AI took over or you could have someone else play as your civ, but people would play for that two hours. After the two hours, we'd often keep playing but only if everyone agreed to go on and as soon as one would want to quit and save, we'd stop as not to drag sessions on without players. We'd post announcement for a "sub" in case a player didn't show up, and I don't think we missed many games at all. The subbing player would get like a quick recap from the original player of his general plan and strategy, and that'd be it, he'd execute his vision. The games were good times, and the diplomacy was of no equal. Backroom deals were plenty, and negotiations, too. You could sell units, navies, workers, take resources, sell them forward. The AI will never be able to replicate a global rogue mercenary army on a whim, nor can the AI play neutral between two superpowers, selling info on both of em and come out as the winner of the game. It was proven throughout the games that going for victory right away was dumb, it'd only lead into a global coalition against you as your numbers start racking up. All players aimed for victory, unlike in a computer game. So you had to play a little bit differently, and not be really distinct from the rest. Or if you were, better make sure you can steamroll the world.

War would evolve weirdly when one turn a huge coalition breaks apart, peace was brokered by some, and the whole diplomacy chart turns upside down and the world is a mess.
I wish I had some screenshots of Steam Convos that are pages of pages of policy and trade discussion, then a sudden all caps "MOTHERFUCKER YOU SOLD ME OUT AFTER 300 TURNS YOU TRAITOR!" and incoherent typing.

Here's some screenshots of the all amazing all chat.

This picture is the great naval backstab with Sweden aiming for world dominance, trying to fight back the other major opponent, morocco, and paying for a huge foreign armada to help him. One turn before he'd be backstabbed. Up until the very last moment, he believed he had basically won the game by beating back Morocco.

I forgot the context besides the fact that the other player was asking furiously if some extra military exercises were being done behind his border, and everything was firmly denied.

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

Does anyone know of a good mod (or just a simple way to edit the XML files) to remove certain city states from the random seed? When I'm playing single player it can be fun to get the absurd ones as neighbors but in real games it's a bit of RNG too far.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

NorgLyle posted:

Does anyone know of a good mod (or just a simple way to edit the XML files) to remove certain city states from the random seed? When I'm playing single player it can be fun to get the absurd ones as neighbors but in real games it's a bit of RNG too far.

It would be a pretty easy mod, but if you don't know how to make a mod in the first place that's a little bit of a learning curve just to get your first one up.

I can probably walk you through a really hacky method that would involve using one of my mods that removes a natural wonder and just changing a couple of words if this is something you really want to do.

Alternately, you could just actually remove the offending city states right from the XML in the game files. You'd just have to do a file integrity check through steam to ever get them back, as this method removes them from the game completely whether using mods or not. I don't know if it would cause issues in multiplayer though.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
Any further suggestions for how I can improve this absolutely horrendous interface? As soon as anything happens in a war, all this crap appears and I can't see a goddamn thing. This isn't even the worst that it gets, you can have some turns where it takes up the whole screen telling you that a bunch of shitholes built a shrine or harbours etc.

Yet, move into a goody hut, and if you blink, you'll miss what the reward is with no way of finding out/

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
That resolution looks really low.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

not like the ui's any better at 1080

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

But you can fit more pointless spam on the screen. :pseudo:

My monitor/graphics card/resolution is also too small for this game but I've been hotseating with a friend who has an absurdly large monitor (from where I sit I can't always properly see the small numbers in the upper left corner of the screen). Hotseat has a few major advantages like someone you can babble with as the AI shuffles their endless swarms of units, diplomatic messages are put in a discrete notification on the right side of the screen so you can happily ignore the spam to buy every single great work you gain as well as pointless insults regarding their retarded agendas and of course if you are allied you share vision (hello city states, until you get conquered), get free eurekas when one of you has a tech the other doesn't and unless the AI is broken it takes both your armies into account before declaring war (I'm 100% sure it doesn't).

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
Ah yeah switching the resolution made it much better, thanks much. I'll try not to complain about the text being too small now (not a problem, unlike when I play games like Diablo 3 or X-Com 2 on my PS4 where so much stuff is unreadable)...

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Marmaduke! posted:

Yet, move into a goody hut, and if you blink, you'll miss what the reward is with no way of finding out/
my UI:

Simplified Gossip
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1126451168
Simplified Gossip - Slide Notifications Addon
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1266923703
HellBlazers World Info Interface
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1304215078
HellBlazers City Overview Interface
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1304204405

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky
My biggest issue with the UI on a smaller screen (1280x1024) is that the governor interface does not scale enough, so you get horizontal scrollsbars that don't respond to the mousewheel. Such a pain.

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Marmaduke! posted:

Any further suggestions for how I can improve this absolutely horrendous interface? As soon as anything happens in a war, all this crap appears and I can't see a goddamn thing. This isn't even the worst that it gets, you can have some turns where it takes up the whole screen telling you that a bunch of shitholes built a shrine or harbours etc.

Dont play it on the iPad.

Tofu Injection
Feb 10, 2006

No need to panic.
Mapuche declared war on me and took everything but one poo poo city that is revolting next turn. I just lost the No Korea game to an AI.

It's me, I'm the worst civ player.

Ulvino
Mar 20, 2009
Yay! My AI substitute is :black101:

Tofu Injection
Feb 10, 2006

No need to panic.
Turns out I had to log in to my turn to find out I lost. Strikes me as silly.

GG guys.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Civ coming to Switch. Why not PS or Xbox then?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

turd in my singlet
Jul 5, 2008

DO ALL DA WORK

WIT YA NECK

*heavy metal music playing*
Nap Ghost
Anyone else feel like there's a huge difference between Prince and King difficulty? I roll all over the AI on Prince but can barely keep up on King.