Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Sagebrush posted:

my new phone has android 8 and the only thing i really miss is the blobs

obligatory "turn off your phone"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

is there a way to revert to the blob-man emoji on an android phone without running your phone through a russian credit card skimmer?

congrats on your new phone being a year out of date

also, no

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I always buy the second newest model. I ain't no sucker paying $700 for a loving telephone. I think only the pixels have Android 9 already anyway?

Also, that sucks. I mean Google's interpretation of Apple's Emoji is still better looking then the ones on an iPhone, and both are better than the ones you would get on something like a Samsung, but those blob men were really well designed

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

fishmech posted:

Windows owns

windowns.

thanks bill. thill.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Sagebrush posted:

I always buy the second newest model. I ain't no sucker paying $700 for a loving telephone. I think only the pixels have Android 9 already anyway?

Also, that sucks. I mean Google's interpretation of Apple's Emoji is still better looking then the ones on an iPhone, and both are better than the ones you would get on something like a Samsung, but those blob men were really well designed

yeah same i miss them. hangouts chat in gmail still has em.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Sagebrush posted:

I always buy the second newest model. I ain't no sucker paying $700 for a loving telephone.

no, but you're a sucker who bought an android phone

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

infernal machines posted:

no, but you're a sucker who bought an android phone

maybe if you weren't being constantly owned by your use of an apple product, you wouldn't assume everyone else was a sucker.

sadly you're just going to die of stebism, rip

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005
voluntarily paying money for a google product is the definition of being a sucker tho

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

I, for one, welcome our new mouse overlords.
all phones are terrible. apple and google are loving us over. luckily microsoft will release a surface phone in 2017 2018 2019.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Fiedler posted:

all phones are terrible. apple and google are loving us over. luckily microsoft will release a surface phone in 2017 2018 2019.

it would be nice to have a third ecosystem in play

google sets such a low bar on everything (security, patching, privacy) that apple doesn't have to try all that hard

elmer chud
May 18, 2018
(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)
windows mobile was actually ok, severe lack of apps though

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

google sets such a low bar on everything (security, patching, privacy) that apple doesn't have to try all that hard

kaios on the new nokia 8110 apparently has an ide now (it's just firefox os) but 1. you have to write html + js apps and 2. i fear the kaios people probably are idiots

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

Like Tizen? Samsung are hilariously incompetent at software and as a hardware company only add enhancements with new products. They've concentrated all their efforts to match Japan's hardware that software fell by the side.

LG are better in software with webOS but drat they have no idea about security either.

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

Pham Nuwen posted:

kaios ... it's just firefox os .. the kaios people probably are idiots

checks out

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Blob emoji are literally the only thing goog have done right this century so obviously they (a) did it completely by accident and (b) furiously rushed to correct their non mistake as quickly as possible

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
If google made street fighter 1 they would have made a huge marketing blitz for 2 about how it no longer has "unfair" sequences of moves that an opponent cannot interrupt in the middle

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Sagebrush posted:

is there a way to revert to the blob-man emoji on an android phone without running your phone through a russian credit card skimmer?

There are some blob emoji available as part of two Gboard sticker packs. Unfortunately, no way to get back the real blobs.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

I Am Ready To Receive My Pre 4

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
on the one hand, i wouldn't trust lg to make a phone that isn't busted as poo poo. on the other hand, i'd love to see another webos phone, no matter how little sense that makes in tyool 2018

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

i just want a phone that has some form of navigation, can act as a wifi hotspot, and has some sort of tooling to let me write trivial programs for my own use. i don't care if the ui is ugly and unpolished, i just want to make little convenience programs without loving around with a whole ide and app store shituation.

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Pham Nuwen posted:

i just want a phone that has some form of navigation, can act as a wifi hotspot, and has some sort of tooling to let me write trivial programs for my own use. i don't care if the ui is ugly and unpolished, i just want to make little convenience programs without loving around with a whole ide and app store shituation.
lol

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Pham Nuwen posted:

do you care if the phone works? because they largely don't in one way or another

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Pham Nuwen posted:

can it be pinku or some other girl colour

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

did they just lift the iphone x tooling directly?

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

on the one hand, i wouldn't trust lg to make a phone that isn't busted as poo poo. on the other hand, i'd love to see another webos phone, no matter how little sense that makes in tyool 2018

aside from the entrenched user issues is Webos still viable from a technical standpoint?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

it was based on the "every app is html and java" principle, so i guess. beneath that it's just another linux™

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

the ui concepts were solid, and it managed not to run like absolute rear end on the hardware it was developed for

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

its still being maintained/used for some of the least-poo poo smart tv's and the code base for a lot of that stuff could be re-worked for a proper mobile form factor but they would need to build and expand a whole app store/developer backend for new developers or it will probably suffer the same death as WinMo

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Pham Nuwen posted:

have you considered the iPhone X? i wrote a program in swift in an evening last week and it worked great

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
so google still records your location when you use their apps even if you jumped through the hoops to turn location history off

im shocked

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

Cocoa Crispies posted:

have you considered the iPhone X? i wrote a program in swift in an evening last week and it worked great

same. swift is really nice

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Pham Nuwen posted:

Android can run Processing sketches so that's probably about as close as you're gonna get

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

ssh into a system with the tools you need and code from there? I can get the need for light scripting or janitoring from mobile in an emergency but coding from a phone is still a lovely experience

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

i remember there were ways to write p-langs on Android. here’s some poo poo i found in 2 seconds. looks dead but there’s prolly alternatives

https://github.com/damonkohler/sl4a

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

wait, no, please tell me hea meant coding his own apps for android in notepad++ or something and sideloading, not coding apps on his phone.

like, good lord, what the gently caress?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

wait, no, please tell me hea meant coding his own apps for android in notepad++ or something and sideloading, not coding apps on his phone.

i assumed that's what he meant, not coding on his telephone like an idiot

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

yeah i just mean it would be nice to be able to write the equivalent of a shell script, ideally from off the phone, and load it into the phone.

like i acknowledge that this is something only the most demented and hosed up of computer touchers would want which is why there will never really be a mainstream device for that. but as somebody who writes shell scripts all the drat time that's something i'm comfortable with, and if i could make a button that e.g. scp'd all photos taken in the last day to my web server in an appropriately-named directory and then gave me a url i could text to people, i'd just as soon do that as gently caress around with ifttt or whatever other crap

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

you probably need to root your device. then get a terminal emulator and an extended keyboard and you can do light scripting I guess. I know what you’re asking is doable but i don’t recall specifics

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
android used to have a program called tasker where you could do ifttt-style things with your phone, idk if it's still around. but if all you're doing is sending pictures from your phone to the cloud, you really don't need to build that program yourself

• Locked thread