Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
I'm coming home with 3 bags of games from the math trade, but I only bought two new games:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

The world is a mess... and I just need to rule it

GWBBQ posted:

Just thinking of pen chat, there was a trend 8-10 years ago after someone realized you can just cut 1/8" of plastic off of a Mont Blanc refill and it would fit perfrectly in a Pilot G2. It's a nice way to get $200 ballpoint pen quality for $15

Thank you for that. I like the look and feel of a lot of pen kits for making my own pens but not how they write (usually cheap inserts).

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

rockcity posted:

I too recently bought hiking boots. Vasque Inhaler II Gortex. I'm super happy with them. Just spent a week hiking and camping in the Badlands, Yellowstone and Grand Teton with them.

I just bought some Vasque Clarion '88s , myself.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

After playing Breath Of The Wild for 200 hours, it kind of spoiled orher games for me, so I decided to get a multiplayer game that has different gameplay than what i’m used to.

I like biographies

nocal
Mar 7, 2007
I like Ohto pens.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
Did some car camping up at Kelleys Island last week, so figured I'd pick up some more glamping type of gear rather than my usual ultralight backpacking setup.

Bought one of those classic green coleman camp stoves, which are apparently still made in Witchita Kansas:

Also picked up a ridiculous 6 person instant cabin style tent, because, why the hell not?

(The beach was right on the other side of those trees, it was a great spot as far as car camping goes)

Since it was two people occupying a space for 6, I figured I'd pick up a queen doubleheight airmattress :

Roto-Molded yeti knockoff cooler for bacon eggs and beer:

Some J hooks so I could create a cat house with the kayaks:

And a gigantic campfire percolator, which turned out to make awful coffee and I sincerely regret buying.

Catatron Prime has a new favorite as of 19:34 on Aug 10, 2018

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

OSU_Matthew posted:

Did some car camping up at Kelleys Island last week, so figured I'd pick up some more glamping type of gear rather than my usual ultralight backpacking setup.

Bought one of those classic green coleman camp stoves, which are apparently still made in Witchita Kansas:

Also picked up a ridiculous 6 person instant cabin style tent, because, why the hell not?

(The beach was right on the other side of those trees, it was a great spot as far as car camping goes)

Since it was two people occupying a space for 6, I figured I'd pick up a queen doubleheight airmattress :

And a gigantic campfire percolator, which turned out to make awful coffee and I sincerely regret buying.

We used to vacation there when I was in middle school/early high school. The state park at Kelley's is really nice, especially if you get up every morning at 5:30 and wait outside the ranger station to get a beachfront campsite.

How busy was it overall? I'd love to go back, but I think the campground closes (its open on the honor system, but they lock up the shower house for the winter) for the season by or before Labor Day and gently caress going there during peak vacation season. I last visited in 2007 and it was getting so crowded and busy that it reminded me of going to South Bass on the weekend.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

OSU_Matthew posted:

My buddy who legit lives out of his car (voluntarily) has one of these and they're built like a tank. I think his is like ~30 years old at this point and still works like it's brand new.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

OSU_Matthew posted:

Should just get an Aeropress and a pot to heat water, straight up best coffee possible in any situation. Percolators have always sucked but it was better than turkish style coffee out on the range I guess.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

I just recently got my doctorate and decided to get myself something nice to celebrate:

GhostShirtSociety
Jun 6, 2009

Television. Doesn't it make you want to kick things?

1redflag posted:

My buddy who legit lives out of his car (voluntarily) has one of these and they're built like a tank. I think his is like ~30 years old at this point and still works like it's brand new.

I can second this. I just recently went camping at Airventure and a buddy brought this exact same stove. He said his parents were getting rid of it after using it for decades. He used it to cook for us and it was still in great condition. The only complaint we had was that whatever non-foaming soap he brought to clean it with started to take a little of the paint off when we were done. It was pretty minor though.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

kreyla
Dec 31, 2008

Lord Hydronium posted:

I just recently got my doctorate and decided to get myself something nice to celebrate:

Congratulations!!

I am finally getting paying clients and becoming an Official Lawyer, so i treated myself to a grey bookcloth zipfolio from Levenger's ebay outlet store. It's so nice and professional looking!

https://www.levenger.com/folios-579/folios-302/bookcloth-zip-folio-13907.aspx

kreyla has a new favorite as of 01:03 on Aug 12, 2018

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

kreyla posted:

Congratulations!!

I am finally getting paying clients and becoming an Official Lawyer, so i treated myself to a grey bookcloth zipfolio from Levenger's ebay outlet store. It's so nice and professional looking!

https://www.levenger.com/folios-579/folios-302/bookcloth-zip-folio-13907.aspx

what if you showed up to court with one of these bad mamajama's?

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Did you ever wonder where the Romans got bread from? It wasn't from Waitrose!

LifeSunDeath posted:

I still have a Trapper Keeper (bought new around 1977, because I'm :corsair:) in storage -- I should dig it out and use it to carry my lecture notes around, especially for conferences.

kreyla
Dec 31, 2008
It would be baller af to have one in court, endure the side-eye, and then walk out to your matching red Lamborghini

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Going to need more pics of the cat.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
Was sick of having to carry around my giant Herschel bag because it was the only thing I had with a laptop sleeve, stumbled upon this. Studio C laptop backpack, got an insane deal on Amazon, only $6.50

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Geoj posted:

We used to vacation there when I was in middle school/early high school. The state park at Kelley's is really nice, especially if you get up every morning at 5:30 and wait outside the ranger station to get a beachfront campsite.

How busy was it overall? I'd love to go back, but I think the campground closes (its open on the honor system, but they lock up the shower house for the winter) for the season by or before Labor Day and gently caress going there during peak vacation season. I last visited in 2007 and it was getting so crowded and busy that it reminded me of going to South Bass on the weekend.

I guess it was pretty busy, the campground was fully booked up. Unfortunately I didn't think to schedule it some other weekend besides peak vacation time before the kids go back to school. I booked the site back in February, and even then, most of the sites were already reserved when registration opened. That being said, there was virtually nobody on the hiking trails, the beach was empty at night so we could go star gazing, and the kayaking was great! I could've easily spent several more days out there, the busyness didn't really register as bothersome to me.

I get plenty of solitude backpacking, but I don't expect the same thing staying at a campground.

Here's a few shots from the trip :)

Dick Trauma posted:

Going to need more pics of the cat.

Sadly it's not mine, he just hopped up on the car while we were loading up kayaks at a friend's house

LifeSunDeath posted:

Should just get an Aeropress and a pot to heat water, straight up best coffee possible in any situation. Percolators have always sucked but it was better than turkish style coffee out on the range I guess.

I've actually got an aeropress I picked up when they first came out! That's a great idea, with it being small and unbreakable.

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grandpa Cthulu needs his napping chair

Grimey Drawer

LifeSunDeath posted:

Holy poo poo, I had this actual Trapper Keeper.

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice
Just pre-ordered the Note 9 from B&H Photo.. Now the drat waiting game..

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

I have finally bought something from a Facebook ad - a 17 movie bundle of Studio Ghibli movies for $65. Not a bad deal, right? Sorry in advance for the weird photo orientations:

Something here isn't quite right...

Ah yes, famed Studio Ghibli movie "Up on Poppy Hil"

Maybe it's a weird typo, right? Things happen. This is definitely not that. The DVD artwork is super grainy:

Hopefully the movies are still good quality. They're probably super compressed and gnarly. Oh well, bootleg stuff is fun!

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:
Apparently this is a pretty well regarded Malaysian distribution of the films. I don't know whether they own the rights to be producing this product or not, but it's sold on Amazon as well and most people enjoy it so

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
My car's battery died last night, and luckily my brother-in-law had a portable jumper to help me out. Today I ordered one of my own for the eventual road trip I'm taking next month.

Beatit BT-D11 800A Peak 18000mAh 12V Portable Car Jump Starter (up to 7.5L Gas Or 5.5L Diesel) with Smart Jumper Cables Auto Battery Booster Power Pack

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Android Apocalypse posted:

My car's battery died last night, and luckily my brother-in-law had a portable jumper to help me out. Today I ordered one of my own for the eventual road trip I'm taking next month.

Make sure you figure out why it died. Batteries are wear items, and once a car battery deep cycles once (depending on how deep it got) it is permanently lower capacity. If it was just a tiny bit sluggish and you left your dome light on for a week then it's likely fine-ish, but if you left your headlights on all weekend it is likely not long for this world. If it's 5 years old at this point I would pre-preemptively replace it so it doesn't strand you somewhere.

It's a task likely within your ability assuming it's not a BMW or similarly stupid car that requires a computer hookup to replace the battery. (And you own a flathead screw driver, something to watch youtube on, and can actually physically lift the batteries.)

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Good point. Apparently the car battery died a month ago and like yesterday I suspect it's from the dome light being on, so there's a good possibility the battery is permanently at lower capacity.

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe

H110Hawk posted:

If it's 5 years old at this point I would pre-preemptively replace it so it doesn't strand you somewhere.

Ha, I'm lucky if my battery last 2yrs. I miss living in a more temperate place. In Arizona during the summer Auto Zone is swamped with people replacing batteries because the heat absolutely kills them. I always get the 3yr warranty battery and it gets replaced at least once under warranty every time.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

The world is a mess... and I just need to rule it
I helped jump someones car at a Walmart not to long ago. Handed him the leads to put on his battery as I hooked up mine and when I turned around his battery was smoking and my cables were turning white. He had the colored terminal pads backwards on his battery and connected the hot to ground and vice versa :downs: I looked at him and just said, "well they sell new batteries inside" and left.

A jump starter is nice for emergencies but I would also invest in a trickle charger. The reason why most batteries dont last long after a jump is the alternator doesn't run long enough to charge the battery to full capacity.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
I like how you can buy a cheapish home tester (or take it to a store for a free check) and they can tell you exactly how good it is with sciency numbers.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
Bought an old Sawzall at auction for $16. Looks like poo poo but it still works. I'm still tearing it down and rebuilding it. It needs new grease, a good cleaning, and one screw for the front guard thingy. Skookum as frig though.

e: rubber boot came with it but I'd tossed it to the side for this picture. Also came with a more modern Sawzalls case for storage.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

SpartanIvy posted:

Bought an old Sawzall at auction for $16. Looks like poo poo but it still works. I'm still tearing it down and rebuilding it. It needs new grease, a good cleaning, and one screw for the front guard thingy. Skookum as frig though.

e: rubber boot came with it but I'd tossed it to the side for this picture. Also came with a more modern Sawzalls case for storage.

Score! IMO as long as it works well and the mechanics are well greased, I wouldn't clean that thing, it has the perfect amount of wear and grime on it to look good.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

JEEVES420 posted:

I helped jump someones car at a Walmart not to long ago. Handed him the leads to put on his battery as I hooked up mine and when I turned around his battery was smoking and my cables were turning white. He had the colored terminal pads backwards on his battery and connected the hot to ground and vice versa :downs: I looked at him and just said, "well they sell new batteries inside" and left.

A jump starter is nice for emergencies but I would also invest in a trickle charger. The reason why most batteries dont last long after a jump is the alternator doesn't run long enough to charge the battery to full capacity.

Your lucky he didn't fry anything on your car. If I help someone jump a car I make sure that I do the hookup of the cables.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Trastion posted:

Your lucky he didn't fry anything on your car. If I help someone jump a car I make sure that I do the hookup of the cables.

That;s why I bought one of those little jump packs with Lion batteries.

I can jump someone's car and the worst case is I am out £30 on the jump pack.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
Knockoff Eames side chair

Tickets to see this in IMAX

Feeling midcentury modern as gently caress

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Oh poo poo, there's a harbor freight app that collects the coupons. I'm gonna be swinging by there today or tomorrow to buy some stuff.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Bought the unauthorized american first edition of the Two Towers:

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
I bought Bathfitter. It'll be installed day after Labour Day and I'm so excited.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

E. On second thought, pretty weak joke

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

I bought a new cheap monitor and a stand for my laptop so I don't have to keep using books to raise them up to eye-level when working from home.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

I recently got a corneal ulcer from wearing contact lenses too much so I'm taking a break and going back to glasses because gently caress going through that again.

I'm super fussy and extremely self-conscious about how I look in glasses (hence the contact lenses) but I tried these on in the store and absolutely loved them. Ace & Tate are the company.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Did you ever wonder where the Romans got bread from? It wasn't from Waitrose!

Coffee And Pie posted:

Tickets to see this in IMAX

Feeling midcentury modern as gently caress

I saw 2001 at the London IMAX last month -- it was fabulous -- I hope you enjoy it loads!!