Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

Handsome Ralph posted:

Fiance bought me a 35 inch curved ultra-widescreen for my birthday. Oh my god, this poo poo owns.

http://www.microcenter.com/product/506954/agon-ag352ucg6-35-uw-qhd-120hz-hdmi-dp-curved-gaming-led-monitor

G Sync too. Excellent wife material.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Handsome Ralph posted:

Fiance bought me a 35 inch curved ultra-widescreen for my birthday. Oh my god, this poo poo owns.

http://www.microcenter.com/product/506954/agon-ag352ucg6-35-uw-qhd-120hz-hdmi-dp-curved-gaming-led-monitor

Enjoy buying a graphics card that's just as expensive as that monitor and yet still unable to push 60fps in games steadily.

Seriously the bottom floor for single GPU setups with a monitor like that is a 1080ti. Anything less and you're turning everything down to medium.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

I ran battlefield 1, overwatch, and Titanfall 2 last night on high with no issues :shrug:

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

I run stuff like that on a single 970 with a 34". Really, it's okay.

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

Laranzu posted:

I played the poo poo out of 2016 and what I'm saying is the demo kills didn't look as good

They did during the mouse and keyboard section. Which is the only real way to play.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Every step, a fucking adventure.

orange juche posted:

Enjoy buying a graphics card that's just as expensive as that monitor and yet still unable to push 60fps in games steadily.

Seriously the bottom floor for single GPU setups with a monitor like that is a 1080ti. Anything less and you're turning everything down to medium.

It's not that extreme. You can often get over 60 FPS if you just tweak things like antialiasing, shadows, etc. I guess if you're super lazy, you could just click medium.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Curved 34/35” wide monitors are what’s up

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Also

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

if i come into some free money i'd get another 34" and a rack and stack them on top of each other

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Those look nice, Idk how well they'd work for fighting games though

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

I think it would be perfect for fighting games.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Curved monitors haven't really become a thing yet there and games still run at 1080p. Plus how are they with 2 players for local play?

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

Curved monitors haven't really become a thing yet there and games still run at 1080p. Plus how are they with 2 players for local play?

I think a lot of them have multiple inputs which you can split between the screen? Could be wrong, or was that even what you were askin'

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

lmbo that doesn't surprise me at all

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

I think a lot of them have multiple inputs which you can split between the screen? Could be wrong, or was that even what you were askin'

No I just want to be able to sit down with a friend and play fighting games in person

Curved screen wouldnt be so great in that situation imo, it's be nice for online though

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

No I just want to be able to sit down with a friend and play fighting games in person

Curved screen wouldnt be so great in that situation imo, it's be nice for online though

it's pretty subtle, though I case it depends on the screen. But I get what you're saying.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

It's very important that the display is perfect for when I punch gokus

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

This goes well with the story I heard about Todd Howard locking himself in his room with the LOTR blurays and a magic eight ball he consulted for design during Skyrim production.

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
Anyone checking out Phantom Doctrine? Sounds like Xcom but CIA cold war stuff

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3865558&pagenumber=1&perpage=40

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

mods changed my name posted:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3865558&pagenumber=1&perpage=40

drat, this looks pretty fun

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
Yeah im pretty much waiting for some impressions from the thread but it sounds like my kinda game on the premise alone

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Oh poo poo, I thought of that game the other day but couldn't remember the name of it and thought it must have been a dream or something.

Maybe I'll grab it since my birthday's this week.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

I was watching a Twitch streamer play it yesterday and today, looks fun and I will probably pick it up once I'm not slammed with school work.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones

LOL

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
wat is funy

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
Is that battletoads?

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Is that battletoads?

No it's avoid the noid, clearly.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Antibiotics in Fallout 4 are basically Charms. They're bad luck, because within 10 minutes of finding some I will somehow get sick and need to use them. I can go hours without it happening normally, but when I find those fuckers I know I'm going to get sick.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!

Steam says "mixed" reviews right now. Hopefully they iron out the bugs and tweak stuff, because I'd really like to give this one a go.

SlightlyMad
Jun 7, 2015

Gary’s Answer

Naked Bear posted:

Steam says "mixed" reviews right now. Hopefully they iron out the bugs and tweak stuff, because I'd really like to give this one a go.

I have played the Phantom Doctrine a bit now and can confirm it is good. It plays differently from X-com, so takes a while to get used to it. Stay in stealth, seriously. Overwatch ability fires multiple times per turn so use it in combat to draw enemies to killzones. All in all, it is a neat spy game.

This guy is good at it, you can watch his play to learn a few tricks:

https://www.twitch.tv/shenryyr/videos/all

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Tales from Rimworld: If you're going to pick a bar fight, don't pick the giant high on cocaine.

Additional recent happenings:
-A camel was hit by lightning
-A turkey became addicted to alcohol and developed dementia as a result
-Training an army of attack cobras
-My displeasure at the assholes who drop podded through the roof right into my main stockpile, and the fate they met

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Every step, a fucking adventure.

EBB posted:

-Training an army of attack cobras

In all my playthroughs I never did that...

I feel like I'm missing out on a core element of the game.

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
So on Phantom Doctrine, I waited a few days to see the reception, saw it was buggy. Kept up with the thread and I think they've patched it twice already, so I went for it. It's been stable for me. One crash in probably 8 hours or so. It loaded exactly where I finished off.

Games Pretty Good. I just did a mission in an American shopping center as the CIA group. Beat cops patrolling, some civilians, and my target, an enemy agent that was trying to suss out my base with their own recon mission. I had to either kill or capture them. Had to move quick so I couldn't perform a site recon ahead of time. If I had done that I would have gotten a spotter and disguises. Not having time for that poo poo, I got two spies on site and rolled in before they accomplished their mission. I stalked around, disabled cameras and laser beams, knocking out the occasional soldier (there as part of the enemies body guard) and left the beat cops alone because they weren't hurting anybody (lol). I got a little overzealous knocking out the soldiers and stealing intel so the enemy spook got...erm spooked, and started wandering around. She moved out of the shopping center and headed off downstairs to this warehouse section. I chased her down and trapped her in a hallway, one of my spies at either end. I couldn't knock her out, because she was too strong for either of my agents to kung fu so I had to get crazy. I called for my evac which would take 3 turns, and then I had one spy blind her with a laser, and then unload on her with a loving beltfed lmao. That knocked off half her health and allowed the other one to punch her back in the head and knock her out.

So now I have to stabilize the enemy spook before I can firemans carry them. I get notice that in 5 turns they're going to try to AIRSTRIKE me. Like holy poo poo I've never even seen that before so gently caress that. So I have now 3 turns before my evac van rolls up, and 5 before a loving airstrike. No problem. I spend 1 turn stabilizing and picking up the baddie with both my dudes, and start to move towards my evac point. I end the turn, and a cop sticks his head in and shoots the one carrying the dude and loses like half their health. I then move them across the warehouse and my machine gun chick just loving lobs a frag grenade at the cop. Sorry pig you didn't even say anything like "Stop its the police" so like what the gently caress. Pig eats poo poo, and I move my dudes some more. My way to egress is clear but I don't think I can make both my people there before my evac gets exposed. If that happens then it has world map consequences and poo poo so its not ideal. As I'm running out another cop fires at me through a window and completely misses. He's lucky I was in rush. Anyhow it ends up and I have one person that can't move the last 2 steps to make the evac. I'm still 2 turns away from the airstrike so it's of no concern thankfully, but I was left with the decision to evac my one agent with the badguy and leave the other agent behind ( I have no idea what this would result in but I know its a thing that can maybe require a rescuing or they die IDK) or gain some heat and let them see my van. I decide to take the heat penalty and rescue my agent because they're in short supply for me right now.

This was just a random mission example that was just autogenerated, good poo poo. Games good but if you have to go loud you have to have an egress plan and poo poo otherwise you're totally hosed.

aar: I should have just killed her all the way dead and ran for it but oh well I should get some good intel I hope it was worth it

mods changed my name fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Aug 18, 2018

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

THIS IS THE BEST RINWORLD EVENT I'VE EVER SEEN

A pack of wandering Yorkshire Terriers just showed up out of nowhere and joined my colony.

gently caress YES, YORKIES

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

e: NOOOO, some rear end in a top hat snake killed two of them already :(

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Use animal zones and keep them in your compound.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

I almost suffered colony collapse when we ran out of flake because the dum dums wouldn't prioritize production. Churned out a shitload of psychite tea instead so everybody's on methadone right now.