Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Tokamak posted:

He was doing the white knight thing of claiming CIG never promised a release date for SQ42. Then when presented with clips of Chris saying SQ42 will be finished by the end of the year for 3 or so years straight, spent dozens of posts attacking the poster and refusing to acknowledge what Chris said.

Eventually they realised they were irrationally defending CIG. But due to being depressed and suffering from black and white thinking, it caused them to completely flip positions on CIG. Since Chris mislead backers, the game went from being the only good thing in their life to a scam like everything else. They deleted their account because they were extremely distressed by the revelation.

I sure hope CR sleeps well each night knowing what he's doing to people. :(

I hope he has to face all this some day, but I know before that he'll just take off with his share and wash his hands of everything he's done without even a limp in his step. He's very likely a millionaire now so yeah. Congrats to backers I guess. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Beet Wagon posted:

How I didn't turn on them the instant they said that poo poo is still a mystery to me. Hell, how I didn't turn on them the second they called it "Squadron 42" is an even bigger mystery. Might as well have named it "Le Epic Bacon Brigade"

1st Narwhallian Bacon Force, you heathen.

Squadron 42 gave me a hell of a wince, but I thought, why not, he's a grown rear end man, and he just wants to make a game and nod to nerds.

How wrong I was.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Colostomy Bag posted:

Christ, this poo poo-tire fire from hell has ruined lots of things like that.

I can't even see the word Fidelity (bank, mutual funds, whatever) without laughing. poo poo, they used the word in Star Trek: Bridge Crew and I had to wonder if the devs were taking potshots at Star Citizen.

There's a part of me that wishes Chris Roberts could really see - really understand and internalize - that he's a walking punch line.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Did you know that the Queen of England has her own ATM machine, which is supplied by Coutts and Co?

I did not, but I suppose that you can't be nipping to any old ATM on the way to the bookies.

Scruffpuff posted:

I can't even see the word Fidelity (bank, mutual funds, whatever) without laughing. poo poo, they used the word in Star Trek: Bridge Crew and I had to wonder if the devs were taking potshots at Star Citizen.

There's a part of me that wishes Chris Roberts could really see - really understand and internalize - that he's a walking punch line.

Fiddly Tee. Recapture the magic of the word, and don't let them win.

Zaphod42 posted:

It really does frustrate me.

I think poo poo like that should really be illegal, but I don't know how you'd enforce it. But poo poo like Elon Musk naming a company "Tesla"... that's pretty lovely.

'Edison' was taken, and 'Musk' has all the wrong connotations, unless you're a deer hunter.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

The Titanic posted:

I hope he has to face all this some day, but I know before that he'll just take off with his share and wash his hands of everything he's done without even a limp in his step. He's very likely a millionaire now so yeah. Congrats to backers I guess. :colbert:

He was probably a millionaire before SC, right? He was a hollywood producer briefly. A lovely one, but people with no skills or talent often find ways to get paid huge sums of cash. Our economy is loving stupid.

A million isn't really that much these days either.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Zaphod42 posted:

He was probably a millionaire before SC, right? He was a hollywood producer briefly. A lovely one, but people with no skills or talent often find ways to get paid huge sums of cash. Our economy is loving stupid.

Honestly don't know. Rumor speculates a lot of things but I don't care to dig into it all. All it leads to is lies and lies and then you wonder why people are totally ok with all the lies (a lot of them in Sandis court).

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Zaphod42 posted:

It's not really the economy per se - it's the people who are stupid. Go to the checkout line at a supermarket and look around. Then look at the magazines. People care about the people you see on those covers, and pay their earned money to read about them. Dumb people spend their money on dumb people poo poo. Frequently the person that dumb person paid the money to is also dumb. Keep following the money and you'll find it in dumb hands for the entire chain.

It's morons all the way down.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Beet Wagon posted:

How I didn't turn on them the instant they said that poo poo is still a mystery to me.

Hav posted:

Squadron 42 gave me a hell of a wince, but I thought, why not, he's a grown rear end man, and he just wants to make a game and nod to nerds.

How wrong I was.

Do we need to take a survey of how many goons thought SC was cool originally?

I guess the red flags are less obvious if you haven't worked in the industry, but this poo poo was pretty clearly bonkers-town to me the first time I heard of the kickstarter.

Meanwhile, I have a friend who backed the kickstarter for Camelot Unchained, and I told him "no loving way is that game coming out". And here we are, years later, and I was right. But at least on that project they aren't selling ships that don't exist and the lead dev admits he mis-managed some things and is now investing HIS OWN MONEY to try to fulfill the game that he promised people. So, also massively over-ambitious in design and feature creep, but at least they're honest and not a complete scam like Roberts is.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Scruffpuff posted:

It's morons all the way down.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

The Titanic posted:

Honestly don't know. Rumor speculates a lot of things but I don't care to dig into it all. All it leads to is lies and lies and then you wonder why people are totally ok with all the lies (a lot of them in Sandis court).

We're getting to a point where I'm not sure the word "lie" even applies any more.

In a pure semantic sense, sure - according to the dictionary, blah blah, this is what constitutes a "lie."

But we're seeing situations more and more where if you ask somebody a question about practically anything, they just start rambling a random story that's forming in real time in their heads. "Oh yes, I was a millionaire and let me tell you about this one time I stopped a terrorist on a boat with a banana peel blah blah" and it goes on for 15 minutes - was that a lie? What was the lie specifically? The entire story was a fiction from beginning to end.

People like Sandi do that - her mouth opens, and it's Storytime. Chris is the same way. It rings differently than "I didn't shoot that guy and I've never seen that gun in my pocket before now." I'm almost leaning toward placing some of the blame on the "positive thinking" movement that repeated for decades that if you keep saying something will happen, or has happened, then it will happen. Act like a success, and you'll become one!

Or in the Roberts' case, just redefine success as "making a lot of money by lying about things and then stealing it."

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable
I think the best part of it all is that it's not about the game, it's about the drama around it. The game is the social aspect of it all, with the thing at the centerpiece continuing to be a broken mess that always will be better soon.

That it's captured the crazy gaming demographic in some areas is fun. 7 years in and we're just at the beginning really still. :)

Though the sad part is that it will slowly dry up. There probably won't be a Big Bang or drama to take it out, but a slow bleed that people just lose interest in. I'm not even sure I care to look at the screenshots or videos anymore even. If I see the 5 year old Mark Hamill render again I know that there's been zero progress. The media clips of their ships on top of hugely photoshopped pictures is just so samey.

I hope we continue to have crazy drama, and I hope more people get involved besides a few hardcore defenders who seem to be losing ground.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Scruffpuff posted:

We're getting to a point where I'm not sure the word "lie" even applies any more.

In a pure semantic sense, sure - according to the dictionary, blah blah, this is what constitutes a "lie."

But we're seeing situations more and more where if you ask somebody a question about practically anything, they just start rambling a random story that's forming in real time in their heads. "Oh yes, I was a millionaire and let me tell you about this one time I stopped a terrorist on a boat with a banana peel blah blah" and it goes on for 15 minutes - was that a lie? What was the lie specifically? The entire story was a fiction from beginning to end.

People like Sandi do that - her mouth opens, and it's Storytime. Chris is the same way. It rings differently than "I didn't shoot that guy and I've never seen that gun in my pocket before now." I'm almost leaning toward placing some of the blame on the "positive thinking" movement that repeated for decades that if you keep saying something will happen, or has happened, then it will happen. Act like a success, and you'll become one!

Or in the Roberts' case, just redefine success as "making a lot of money by lying about things and then stealing it."

Its that one episode of South Park where Cartman and Jimmy write a joke together, and then in Cartman's mind he re-writes history to say that not only did he come up with the joke all by himself, but he fought off a passing dragon while he was doing it. It wasn't even a lie, he's just so insanely delusional he actually thinks about himself that way.

That's Chris Roberts.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

The Titanic posted:

I think the best part of it all is that it's not about the game, it's about the drama around it. The game is the social aspect of it all, with the thing at the centerpiece continuing to be a broken mess that always will be better soon.

That it's captured the crazy gaming demographic in some areas is fun. 7 years in and we're just at the beginning really still. :)

Though the sad part is that it will slowly dry up. There probably won't be a Big Bang or drama to take it out, but a slow bleed that people just lose interest in. I'm not even sure I care to look at the screenshots or videos anymore even. If I see the 5 year old Mark Hamill render again I know that there's been zero progress. The media clips of their ships on top of hugely photoshopped pictures is just so samey.

I hope we continue to have crazy drama, and I hope more people get involved besides a few hardcore defenders who seem to be losing ground.

There is actually some fun stuff on the way. Might not flame out dramatically, but remember how funny it was when Skadden got involved? There are a few more of those things in the hopper. Again, probably won't result in some epic burnout, but even though Star Citizen will die the Death of 1000 Incompetent Cuts, there will still be a few brutal slashes to give the corpse some character.

Tsar Mikey
Nov 30, 2005

When will then be now?

Chris Roberts is the only red flag you need to see to realize this was going to be a dumpster fire from day 1. Chris Roberts was the spark in a hot, rotting dumpster full of trash ideas. Ben Lesnick as Community Manager was the accelerant. Cash is the fuel to keep it going.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

The Titanic posted:

Thanks. I had a lovely day and needed a god laugh.

It's all the incompetent fuckers fault, not his. If there is one thing that Roberts will learn from this is that every other human being on the planet is a useless, ungrateful idiot

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Zaphod42 posted:

You don't stay a millionaire after Kevin Costner is done rampaging. That was it for Chris' millions

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Scruffpuff posted:

I think one lately is I'll poke into VR related threads and I'll see the word "immersive". And then I cringe.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Zaphod42 posted:

Do we need to take a survey of how many goons thought SC was cool originally?

I guess the red flags are less obvious if you haven't worked in the industry, but this poo poo was pretty clearly bonkers-town to me the first time I heard of the kickstarter.

I was pre-kickstarter and wanted another Wing Commander. What I got was one of the longest running drawing room farces, and I feel like I've gotten away like a bandit.

The Squadron 42 pitch was doable enough, 'Star Citizen' reared it's head at...I'm thinking 8 million or so...and it started into crazy town when they were just agreeing poo poo as stretch goals. It wasn't until a little later the network requirements became a bit more clear and I got cynical.

I still suspect that they could pull something off, but late, badly implemented and nowhere near the standard required.

Colostomy Bag posted:

I think one lately is I'll poke into VR related threads and I'll see the word "immersive". And then I cringe.

Amazing experience the other night in the bath. Totally immersed.

I get triggered by the inaccurate use of 'decimate', because it means 10%, and people use it when they mean a lot more than ten percent, and a rain will comeandwashawayallthefilthfromthestreets.

trucutru posted:

You don't stay a millionaire after Kevin Costner is done rampaging. That was it for Chris' millions

Fucker dances with wolves. With wolves!

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Scruffpuff posted:

There is actually some fun stuff on the way. Might not flame out dramatically, but remember how funny it was when Skadden got involved? There are a few more of those things in the hopper. Again, probably won't result in some epic burnout, but even though Star Citizen will die the Death of 1000 Incompetent Cuts, there will still be a few brutal slashes to give the corpse some character.

Looking forward to the inevitable Turbulent lawsuit.

Nyast
Nov 14, 2017

BLAZING AT THE
SPEED OF LIGHT

The Titanic posted:

Don't spread FUD, Goonie. Chris was a billionaire before he started Star Citizen. He spent millions of his own money to fund the Kickstarter. And even if he now takes in a comfortable salary, he deserves it. After all, he's spending his nights in coding sessions to fix the mess his teams are making.

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Nyast posted:

Don't spread FUD, Goonie. Chris was a billionaire before he started Star Citizen. He spent millions of his own money to fund the Kickstarter. And even if he now takes in a comfortable salary, he deserves it. After all, he's spending his nights in coding sessions to fix the mess his teams are making.

*hits backspace*

*turns to camera*

"Oh, hello! I didn't see you there!"

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Nyast posted:

What if MoMa is doing Q Drops and he's actually Chris. Makes you think!

Edit: Well, have you seen Chris and MoMa posting *at the same time*? Fact!

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

TheSickeningTruth posted:

Because I believe that unlike homosexuality, which is a natural thing that can be found in every specie, the "trans" phenomenon is more of a psychological ailment that mostly afflicts people in modern Western societies.
As you say, it should only matters to them, and so they shouldn't expect me nor anyone else to play a along and call them with whatever pronoun their mood decide. I'm sorry, if someone is born male, he'll always be male, no amount of surgery can change that, and so I'll always call him a male, because that's what he is, I don't see what's wrong with that.
It's been said several times in this topic, a lot of citizens are unhappy with who they are irl and thus are looking to be reborn in the verse-matrix where they'll be a better, fantasized self. The analogy with trans is pretty obvious.

Anyway, I believe we have the right to disagree on that topic, I don't get why some people behave as if I claimed trans should be stoned or forced to play SC for the rest of their life. It's always interesting how people react when confronted with someone who doesn't share their opinion.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Wouldn't you know it - I don't have time to catch up with the thread for two days and the entire thread goes weird. I guess you could say the sickening truth came out.

Gonna postpone catching up to a later time.

reverend crabhands
Feb 3, 2016

Beet Wagon posted:

Tsar Mikey posted:

Put your mind at ease, friend. The number 42 has nothing to do with Hitchhiker's Guide, it was actually Sandi's favorite number!

How I didn't turn on them the instant they said that poo poo is still a mystery to me. Hell, how I didn't turn on them the second they called it "Squadron 42" is an even bigger mystery. Might as well have named it "Le Epic Bacon Brigade"

Sorry. And I'm sure I'm going to look like an idiot for asking.

But are you saying CIG/Chris actually claimed "42" was used because it's Sandi's favourite number? Not some SA in-joke or anything?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

quote:

reverend crabhands posted:

Sorry. And I'm sure I'm going to look like an idiot for asking.

But are you saying CIG/Chris actually claimed "42" was used because it's Sandi's favourite number? Not some SA in-joke or anything?

Its a joke poking fun at Derek Smart :ssh:

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Scruffpuff posted:

Yay. :)

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

trucutru posted:

Thanks. I had a lovely day and needed a god laugh.

It's all the incompetent fuckers fault, not his. If there is one thing that Roberts will learn from this is that every other human being on the planet is a useless, ungrateful idiot

I hope he makes another Kickstarter, where he tells everybody about all the lessons he's learned and how this time will be better. The whole abused spouse syndrome will come out in spades. :clint:

Peter.Quint
Mar 16, 2018

Lord Stimperor posted:

Wouldn't you know it - I don't have time to catch up with the thread for two days and the entire thread goes weird. I guess you could say the sickening truth came out.

Gonna postpone catching up to a later time.

Well, well, well. Looks like the thread got a new guy who was worse than me and my unfortunate confession that I jerked off to pictures of Nicole de Boer I found online.

Doesn't seem so bad, now, does it? Peter.Quint - not such a bad guy, they say.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

[fnord]
Troubling news. Can I request that the principals collect in the Goon orders thread?

It appears that target Sierra is beginning to put the big picture together. We might need some quick extractions.
[/fnord]

Peter.Quint posted:

Well, well, well. Looks like the thread got a new guy who was worse than me and my unfortunate confession that I jerked off to pictures of Nicole de Boer I found online.

Doesn't seem so bad, now, does it? Peter.Quint - not such a bad guy, they say.

Don't go fighting over that low bar, there. The supply of goons is infinite.

Strangler 42
Jan 8, 2007

SHAVE IT ALL OFF
ALL OF IT

The Titanic posted:

When Chris Roberts said that "you win Star Citizen by having fun," he had no idea how right he was. Everyone here is winning the game. Everyone who got out and is laughing from the outside is winning. Everyone who never pledged and is having a laff at this debacle of game development is winning.

The losers are the ones losing sleep over the state of the game, the ones that spend every waking moment fighting FUD on Reddit, the ones dumping their life savings into pictures of ships.

Ponzi
Feb 21, 2016

DEPORTED FROM FLAVOR TOWN

ICSA 67 LOSER
Fun Shoe

Tokamak posted:

He was doing the white knight thing of claiming CIG never promised a release date for SQ42. Then when presented with clips of Chris saying SQ42 will be finished by the end of the year for 3 or so years straight, spent dozens of posts attacking the poster and refusing to acknowledge what Chris said.

Eventually they realised they were irrationally defending CIG. But due to being depressed and suffering from black and white thinking, it caused them to completely flip positions on CIG. Since Chris mislead backers, the game went from being the only good thing in their life to a scam like everything else. They deleted their account because they were extremely distressed by the revelation.

IMO, the best therapy for Starloop at this point would be to get an account on SA, join us, and start laughing at the insanity of it all.

Agony Aunt posted:

*hits backspace*

*turns to camera*

"Oh, hello! I didn't see you there!"

I think Sandi gave Chris acting lessons beforehand.

SPERMCUBE.ORG
Nov 3, 2011

Space commies are th' biggest threat t' red-blooded American Freedom we got in th' future. So me and my boys got to talking over a few hot dogs the other day and this is what we came up with...

The Titanic posted:

I'm pretty sure Sandi is dedicating 0 time outside of being on camera these days for Star Citizen. Boo is likely an Oasis employee or multiple employees. If it's a genuine person, I'd be impressed because they should definitely be getting paid for how much they AstroTurf and think-adjust on social media all over the place.

Uh I'm reasonably certain Annabelle Boo Huxley is a sexy steampunk babe who just looooves space sims, teehee

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Beet Wagon posted:

um, they didn't say that, the good doctor doctor said that and said it had nothing to do with the hitchhiker's guide, it's right up there with Leonard Skinly in thread lore.

Peter.Quint
Mar 16, 2018

Hav posted:

The supply of goons is infinite.

Well, I can only afford so many alt accounts to make my original look better by being worse, you see.

Anyway, got to go, but I hear there's goon just joined who's got some interesting opinions, goes by the name of Space_Addict. He told me he'll be dropping by soon.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

big nipples big life posted:

um, they didn't say that, the good doctor doctor said that and said it had nothing to do with the hitchhiker's guide, it's right up there with Leonard Skinly in thread lore.

lmfao poo poo, I vaguely remember that now. Hoisted by my own petard, drat.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Peter.Quint posted:

Ewwwwwww! A Canadian!

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Beet Wagon posted:

Hoisted by my own petard, drat.
You wanna be careful, that's how David Carradine died.

Beexoffel
Oct 4, 2015

Herald of the Stimpire

Hav posted:

[fnord]
Troubling news. Can I request that the principals collect in the Goon orders thread?

It appears that target Sierra is beginning to put the big picture together. We might need some quick extractions.
[/fnord]

Don't go fighting over that low bar, there. The supply of goons is infinite.

[fnord]
Please keep the catpixels in the other thread.
[/fnord]

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lack of Gravitas
Oct 11, 2012

Grimey Drawer

There's also the fun of watching the rest of the internet catch up to where this thread was at three or four years ago :pgabz: