Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DNK
Sep 18, 2004

Vando posted:

Oh come on, I know we're talking about league players but "turn the team invisible so you can sneak up on people" isn't exactly a high tier brain genius concept is it

It turns you invisible except it doesn’t work when you’re near heroes or towers. That isn’t very useful to newbies.

It’s usefulness requires you to understand how minimap vision affects decision-making, how observer wards work, why you place them, and why NOT killing them and using smoke of deceit is even more powerful than using a sentry to deny vision. Smoke of deceit is not invisibility except on the very edge of daytime vision, and telling a newbie it turns you invisible will cause them to use it completely ineffectively.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

DNK posted:

It turns you invisible except it doesn’t work when you’re near heroes or towers. That isn’t very useful to newbies.

It’s usefulness requires you to understand how minimap vision affects decision-making, how observer wards work, why you place them, and why NOT killing them and using smoke of deceit is even more powerful than using a sentry to deny vision. Smoke of deceit is not invisibility except on the very edge of daytime vision, and telling a newbie it turns you invisible will cause them to use it completely ineffectively.

The thing is it will absolutely work in those simple terms for newbies, because they'll be playing against poo poo tier people who will get mugged by the most vanilla smoke gank. The extension concepts are what need to be learned through progression and reaction to increasing skill levels of their opponents, so can be left out of introductory explanations.

I think a lot of the problem with 'learning dota' is that everyone tries to info dump multiple years of experience on their newbie friends when you can really get away with telling them to hit creeps and not die for the first few games.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Counterpoint, tell your friends to be turbo aggressive so they can learn what poo poo they can do without dying. Still don't need to dump years of experience on them but don't coddle passive dota behavior!

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
If you tell them to do that they will feed horribly and learn nothing, you've got to give them a platform before saying 'ok now figure out the extreme boundaries of that platform'

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

nah, you learn where the edge of the boundary is by crossing it. Dying an unbelievable amount of times is how you learn the best.

Not that either way is ~bad~ per se. I just think learning through aggressive failure is ultimately a quicker way to git gud.

Agent355 fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Aug 14, 2018

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Players coming over from league are also used to murder towers whereas the towers in dota are just aggressively unpleasant so telling them to just dive so they figure it out is probably a good thing

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!
I would play more hots if they made camera drag work like dota and not suck.

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005
How does HOTS camera drag work? Because I find that DOTA's "move the camera, but also the cursor is going to move as well" to be hot garbage. Camera drag should just lock the cursor on the screen and move the viewport.

RisqueBarber
Jul 10, 2005

turboraton
Aug 28, 2011
I'm Peruvian, Ancient 2 and I play solo support mostly so I'll never understand this goon aversion of playing alone or hating this game yet typing about it for years now.

Who do I kid I do understand that most goons are terribad and want to justify it somehow.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
if you didn't know youre already the worst player in any given game just by being peruvian

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

Plank Walker posted:

How does HOTS camera drag work? Because I find that DOTA's "move the camera, but also the cursor is going to move as well" to be hot garbage. Camera drag should just lock the cursor on the screen and move the viewport.

It works like you want it to, more like middle-click works in browsers, but you're objectively wrong imo. It disappears while you're dragging too. I would like to know where my cursor is plz. I like the feeling of grabbing the ground and moving it and prepping my cursor where I'm trying to click. I just end up edge panning when I play, which is like two games a year but I played a longer stint when they gave away all those heroes. I get that people like the other, but a custom opt-in would be nice. I played an mmo about tanks and they had both and it felt surprisingly well crafted even though it was pretty bad.

ILL Machina fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Aug 14, 2018

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005

ILL Machina posted:

It works like you want it to, more like middle-click works in browsers, but you're objectively wrong imo. It disappears while you're dragging too. I would like to know where my cursor is plz. I like the feeling of grabbing the ground and moving it and prepping my cursor where I'm trying to click. I just end up edge panning when I play, which is like two games a year but I played a longer stint when they gave away all those heroes. I get that people like the other, but a custom opt-in would be nice. I played an mmo about tanks and they had both and it felt surprisingly well crafted even though it was pretty bad.

Yeah I mistyped what I want it to do. Basically it should be like the "hand" cursor in Photoshop/Acrobat/etc. The cursor should stay positioned over the same point on the map and the viewport should move.

Peewi
Nov 8, 2012

Plank Walker posted:

Yeah I mistyped what I want it to do. Basically it should be like the "hand" cursor in Photoshop/Acrobat/etc. The cursor should stay positioned over the same point on the map and the viewport should move.

That's exactly how it works In Dota. Make sure "reverse camera grip" is disabled.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Solo queue is kind awful right now since everyone realized that Spectre is pretty broken in pubs. People are just slam first picking it now in poo poo mmr land

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I put max votes on Void because there's no way a Rubick arcana is going to be anything other than disappointing knowing Valve

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

Maxing out Rubick just to see what they come up with

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

wanted spectre, now voting void out of spite

RisqueBarber
Jul 10, 2005

Kild posted:

wanted spectre

now listen here

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

I really hope rubick wins. He's one of the supports I enjoy playing the most and I'd love an excuse to pick him even more often now that CM has kinda fallen out of meta and I can't whip out my puppy all the time.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

Agent355 posted:

now that CM has kinda fallen out of meta

do hwat now

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

Agent355 posted:

now that CM has kinda fallen out of meta

ok look "gets banned all the time" maybe but that isn't exactly "falling out of the meta" buddy

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
CM is pretty funny now with the attack speed/gold talents since if you are having a good game you can just randomly appear at like 30 minutes with a Mjolnir and BKB and melt the other teams carry

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Kild posted:

wanted spectre

lol

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

GOOD TIMES ON METH posted:

CM is pretty funny now with the attack speed/gold talents since if you are having a good game you can just randomly appear at like 30 minutes with a Mjolnir and BKB and melt the other teams carry

Once in a blue moon I see someone pull that off with Lich and the damage talent and it's glorious. Particularly if the opposing team has built around the assumption that bkb is how they get survivability.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Wow offlane Ursa is great for demoralizing the enemy team, my first Ursa game in like a year I got them to abandon their safelane

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

CrRoMa posted:

I'm still keen on TI but after that who knows. Seeing the Birmingham Major live kinda felt like it marked the end of my desire to play the game and I think TI will mark the end of me watching.

I was also there live and it was great, what soured your experience?

JollyPubJerk
Nov 10, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Vando posted:

If you tell them to do that they will feed horribly and learn nothing, you've got to give them a platform before saying 'ok now figure out the extreme boundaries of that platform'

we've found a worse poster than me

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo

JollyPubJerk posted:

frankly, thats impossible

CrRoMa
Nov 12, 2017

by R. Guyovich

Looke posted:

I was also there live and it was great, what soured your experience?

Maybe the copious amount of marijuana cookies. Not that it was ruined or anything it just coincided with me spending less time in dota

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

JollyPubJerk posted:

it was a p garbage post but let's not go crazy here

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG
I haven't really been playing that much since january but I loving suck now. This is the first time since MMR came out that I am actually below 3k. Ever since talents came out I have just been sucking and all of my old school meme builds don't work so well.

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Yeah, I gets down with the homies

My roommate showed me this game in 2016 and it was fun to play some matches and buy some items and have a fun time. So I'm going to try to play this dumb, overly-complex dead game, even after reading this dumb dead thread. I played a bunch of bot matches. I played my first real person game since 2016 as a witch doctor. I told my teammates it was my first game it against humans and one of them started crying. We lost, but the two vocal dudes said I was good and cool and I was a little too aggressive and should have backed more but mostly did everything okay. They even commended me :3: I commended them back :3: :3:

Wish me luck goons!

E: I've decided I want to play supports because tcjimbo told me only good players should play spots 1-3. I like witch doctor but he feels v. weak late game. Shadow shaman is also cool and good. What are some good supports to learn?

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

DisgracelandUSA posted:

My roommate showed me this game in 2016 and it was fun to play some matches and buy some items and have a fun time. So I'm going to try to play this dumb, overly-complex dead game, even after reading this dumb dead thread. I played a bunch of bot matches. I played my first real person game since 2016 as a witch doctor. I told my teammates it was my first game it against humans and one of them started crying. We lost, but the two vocal dudes said I was good and cool and I was a little too aggressive and should have backed more but mostly did everything okay. They even commended me :3: I commended them back :3: :3:

Wish me luck goons!

E: I've decided I want to play supports because tcjimbo told me only good players should play spots 1-3. I like witch doctor but he feels v. weak late game. Shadow shaman is also cool and good. What are some good supports to learn?

Those are the two big ones. Lich is an easy third (his third ability 'eats' a friendly creep for mana so you skill that and use it every cd to deny gold to the enemy and stop your lane from pushing).

You can't do much wrong as a support as long as you buy all the wards, throw stuns/disables into fights, and generally try not to get picked off by the enemy roamers.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Lion is another good support that's relatively simple to play

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR
Don't listen to anything tcjimbo says

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Incoherence posted:

Don't listen to anything tcjimbo says

This is true but I do think it is good advice to start by playing support. That doesn't mean it's the role for 'the worst player', but it's a role where you can do the fundamentals of your job fairly easy and it's quite hard to be the reason your team lost. Being the ward master also means you learn a lot about how the map is structured and where vision is most important.

People can be better at other roles, but someone who doesn't ever play support is probably a bad player.

Buller
Nov 6, 2010
Always be playing Mortred.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

Alternatively, learning to cs is important and the job of a carry is more straightforward and you get to make people explode. I don't think the old law of play supports first applies as much anymore. Play what you want and gently caress the haters.

Welcome back to the fold.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

the worst player should play carry