Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Stamina isn’t a thing, but racing form is, so someone who knows how to run fast (and when to hang back and let others run into obstacles) definitely is going to be at an advantage, just like Tigerwolf is a beast because he’s successfully adapted real-world martial arts to GBN. I mean, the whole race was about everyone making the best use of the same tools - hence the Wappa race at the end, which would presumably have given everyone identical vehicles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

maninthesuit posted:

But I guess it's official now. Nanami, much like Sei's mother in the first series, sells gunpla, sells tools for building said gunpla, supervises customers at her store's build-corner, literally arranged a job related to gunpla-building for her brother, yet doesn't know the basics of building....somehow. That honestly bothers me more than it should even if it led to the joke of the two over-achievers forgetting about the race and started educating instead.

It's a retail job. All she has to actually know is how to run the register and maybe provision accounts for GBN.

Sazabi
Feb 15, 2014

A-MA-ZON!!
I think the whole point of this episode was to show off gunpla and give us a hint that Sarah might not be a 100% normal human. Yet all we saw was stock running animation, with a motorcycle that could fly in a straight line then transform into a Segway that could fly into a straight line. And I guess Sarah has magic. Nah it's probably just another GBN bug cause as we've seen the game devs have no idea how there game works.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Sazabi posted:

I think the whole point of this episode was to show off gunpla and give us a hint that Sarah might not be a 100% normal human. Yet all we saw was stock running animation, with a motorcycle that could fly in a straight line then transform into a Segway that could fly into a straight line. And I guess Sarah has magic. Nah it's probably just another GBN bug cause as we've seen the game devs have no idea how there game works.

That last bit is actually plausible. Look up some of the late everquest or wow expansions and you'll find that a lot of the game is held together by string and chewing gum. You've got developers iterating on code that was written when they were in grade school, leading to occasional, hilarious bugs that they have no idea how to fix.

Just recently, for example, wow did a stat crunch where they lowered all the games numbers to try and streamline things. They did it via an algorithm, and the end result was that it hosed up a ton of early content by allowing bugs that had been there for a decade to finally become noticeable.

Sazabi
Feb 15, 2014

A-MA-ZON!!

Caros posted:

That last bit is actually plausible. Look up some of the late everquest or wow expansions and you'll find that a lot of the game is held together by string and chewing gum. You've got developers iterating on code that was written when they were in grade school, leading to occasional, hilarious bugs that they have no idea how to fix.

Just recently, for example, wow did a stat crunch where they lowered all the games numbers to try and streamline things. They did it via an algorithm, and the end result was that it hosed up a ton of early content by allowing bugs that had been there for a decade to finally become noticeable.

lol nice. Yeah I've played enough games to know that years into a game something can go wrong that stumps the dev team for a week or two before they figure it out. Wouldn't hate it if at the end that SD game master just shows up an beats the mullet bird, fixes the latest bug and gives Sarah a soul or something. Not to undermine "I love gunpla and gunpla accessories" message. Just cause I think it would play better than Riku is the best there ever was and everyone should give him a trophy for being the best cardboard you could get outside of a postal store.

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.

Sazabi posted:

give us a hint that Sarah might not be a 100% normal human

Everything surrounding Sarah has been just awful. It's so heavy handed that she's some part of the game and the characters don't notice anything, it's painful. And now in the last 10 episodes they start teasing something might be unusual about her and expect us to be surprised when they do the grand reveal in another month.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Sarah loving blows and everything around her is stupid. You're telling me they've hung out with this ai girl for weeks now and no one's ever asked her about her personal life and what she does in the real world?

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Monaghan posted:

Sarah loving blows and everything around her is stupid. You're telling me they've hung out with this ai girl for weeks now and no one's ever asked her about her personal life and what she does in the real world?

It's very simple.

You see, time talking about Sarah would mean less time talking about Riku, and how amazing he is. So they can't do that.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Monaghan posted:

It wouldn't be that bad if they haven't done the same for other members of their teams already. Like personally I often time have played MMOs with people for months/years without knowing anything about their personal lives outside of maybe a few blurts they might post in chat or on discord. But these dudes went as far as to stalk another member of their team, you'd think they would be a little curious about the girl.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

That was a fun episode, I'll give it that. Though we're halfway through the last half and we haven't even seen a fraction of the new suits in the second OP. So yeah, god drat this stupid rear end series.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

And once again, a Gundam Build series is at its best doing silly poo poo and we dread going back to the plot, for whatever definition of plot we can use here. I guess it's more "to the average". Seriously, this was a fun episode, and it genuinely felt like it had heart and the writer behind it cared to make something people could enjoy instead of being written by a committee that only wants a half-hour ad for Gunpla with the bare minimum writing needed for it (which is even less than expected). If we got more like this, I'd even enjoy this show!

It says a lot that I stopped caring any time the bugs or Sarah came up yet at any other point I was enjoying the hell out of this, an episode that focused on a bunch of minor characters whose names I couldn't even remember, because it allowed itself to have fun, to BE fun. That's all it ever needed to be! Instead of the "Riku is the best!" show starring a bunch of personality-less cardboard cutouts, just a series about having fun with something that's meant to be a game.

Sigh. We aren't keeping this quality, are we? We're back to poo poo next week. Sad.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

OnimaruXLR posted:

is it just me or are Emilia and Rose a lot more interesting than any of the characters in the main cast?

Bring back the Gundam Precure parody from Try Fighters, only use those two this time

With exception to the part of the ending where everyone crosses the finish line at the same time (Why did they even need that since everyone was getting disqualified anyway?) I thought this was a pretty good episode. We see though Emilia and Rose two strong protagonists who are rivals, are both passionate about gundam/gunpla/gunpla battles, they stop to help others, they have real motivations for doing well and wanting to win. There's decent jokes and the side characters Momo, Nanami and Sarah all get screentime and do stuff.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Yeah I'm gonna have to agree that this was one of the better episodes. Even tertiary characters are fun when actually given something to do and react to, who would've thought?

Sazabi
Feb 15, 2014

A-MA-ZON!!
Wait. If everyone was disqualified because they used gunpla instead of the bikes. And Nanami laments not having a gunpla to ride with everyone. Shouldn't Nanami and Sarah have one since they are the only ones without a gunpla?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Sazabi posted:

Wait. If everyone was disqualified because they used gunpla instead of the bikes. And Nanami laments not having a gunpla to ride with everyone. Shouldn't Nanami and Sarah have one since they are the only ones without a gunpla?

They specifically mention Nanami was disqualified for using an original bike rather than the vehicle provided.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Also, so what there's only about 10 active female players in the whole of GBN? No wonder they need to throw these ladies events, the community must be pretty toxic. :v:

Edit: Gunstagrams and their origins

https://twitter.com/trapezohedoron/status/1029294125894393856

https://twitter.com/G1_BARI/status/1029336624184737792

RillAkBea fucked around with this message at 10:25 on Aug 15, 2018

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
:siren: :siren: :siren:
What a fun episode. I guess Bandai's Corporate Board Committee was on holidays thus allowing an actual writer to script this. The zakrello mascot made me laugh.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

What a shocking twist. Who could have seen that one coming. In episode 20. Episode god drat 20. Jeeeeeesus chriiiiist this show has slowly but surely beaten all the good will I had towards it out of me and now it's pissing all over what's left.

This series is hardly even about Gunpla anymore, wheres that beam spam Jegan got to? 10 seconds of screen time in the final battle I imagine.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

RillAkBea posted:

What a shocking twist. Who could have seen that one coming. In episode 20. Episode god drat 20. Jeeeeeesus chriiiiist this show has slowly but surely beaten all the good will I had towards it out of me and now it's pissing all over what's left.

This series is hardly even about Gunpla anymore, wheres that beam spam Jegan got to? 10 seconds of screen time in the final battle I imagine.

That announcement at the end is a real :wtc: thing. "We discovered a sapient lifeform in the game that was accidentally created. Don't worry, we're gonna kill it real quick."

Also what was the Guard machine base? A Strike Gundam?

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

I may have missed it when I watched it, but did anyone go Holy poo poo we accidentally created the holy grail of computer science/ artificial intelligence!" Like there's no mention of AI's at all in this universe, so from what I can tell, Sarah was the first. Maybe someone should go "hey how about we don't kill the sentient miracle life form. Keeping this thing alive is more important than our goddamn videogame."

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Monaghan posted:

I may have missed it when I watched it, but did anyone go Holy poo poo we accidentally created the holy grail of computer science/ artificial intelligence!" Like there's no mention of AI's at all in this universe, so from what I can tell, Sarah was the first. Maybe someone should go "hey how about we don't kill the sentient miracle life form. Keeping this thing alive is more important than our goddamn videogame."

Nope, see my own spoiler.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Putting the :hurr: reaction by the administration aside, this will lead to connecting the old Gunpla Battle system to GBN and transfer Sarah over there, right?

Also, where are my loving Gundam fights?!

Sazabi
Feb 15, 2014

A-MA-ZON!!
I wish the bird had asked Riku those personal questions about Sarah. Just to make him realize how little hey payed attention to her. Also who is running the Gundam base store in Tokyo which no one goes to? And do you guys think that Jegan will be finished in before the she ends. Or is glasses just lying because he doesn't want to play anymore.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Sazabi posted:

I wish the bird had asked Riku those personal questions about Sarah. Just to make him realize how little hey payed attention to her. Also who is running the Gundam base store in Tokyo which no one goes to? And do you guys think that Jegan will be finished in before the she ends. Or is glasses just lying because he doesn't want to play anymore.

What they really should've been doing from the start is actually asking her those questions, but have Sarah just fob them off with vague non-specific answers. When does she log off? Oh, you know, just after you guys do of course!... Which server is she on? Uh... hmmm... *picks one at random glancing around the lobby*. Just minor stuff that can float a conversation until the topic changes, because oh hey they're off to do this mission, let's go! :yayclod:

And when it comes round to the questions being asked again when confronted here, suddenly the answers are obviously going to be a whole lot different than what she told them in the first place.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I feel like giving the Build franchise to very bad writers two seasons in a row was a poor decision on Sunrise's part

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Guy Goodbody posted:

I feel like giving the Build franchise to very bad writers two seasons in a row was a poor decision on Sunrise's part

The same guy, Shinya Watada, directed Divers, Try, and Memory of Eden. The best thing he’s ever done is that 08th MS Team short where they fight that Gouf on a bridge.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Darth Walrus posted:

The same guy, Shinya Watada, directed Divers, Try, and Memory of Eden. The best thing he’s ever done is that 08th MS Team short where they fight that Gouf on a bridge.

According to what I can look up, he also did some IBO and Unicorn episodes that had a better reputation. (He did episode 4, with the Torington fight)

Might be bad information, but if I'm reading the data right, he can be pretty solid as a director for individual episodes, it's just when he's in charge of anything larger it goes to poo poo.

Meanwhile, the main writer was the same for Build Fighters and Try, but swapped out for Divers. So, yeah.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

chiasaur11 posted:

According to what I can look up, he also did some IBO and Unicorn episodes that had a better reputation. (He did episode 4, with the Torington fight)

Might be bad information, but if I'm reading the data right, he can be pretty solid as a director for individual episodes, it's just when he's in charge of anything larger it goes to poo poo.

Meanwhile, the main writer was the same for Build Fighters and Try, but swapped out for Divers. So, yeah.

Episode directors are generally more involved with animating an existing story than with the actual writing process. Everything we’ve seen says that he’s a moderately talented action director (if one who’s a bit too fond of disconnected cuts and dramatic still frames) who can’t string together a narrative for poo poo.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

You know, I'm torn on which would be the more amusing motive for the devs wanting to delete Sarah.

On the one hand, there'd be a certain bleak humor to AIs basically forming everywhere to the point leaving a toaster alone too long would make it go rampant. Purging abominable intelligences is just a basic part of system maintenance.

On the other, it would be amazing if Sarah was the first AI and they decided to purge her so the history books would have something less embarrassing for the origin of the things. Like, they're not asking for much, a Haro would be fine, but, you know. Not her.

Sazabi
Feb 15, 2014

A-MA-ZON!!
Really looking forward to next week when ogre shows up with a new machine and forces Riku into a nonconsensual fight. So Sarah's bugs can trigger and either interrupt the fight or make Riku so strong he one shots ogre in a classic still frame you can only find in build divers or on a 40k novel cover. I'm also taking bets on seeing Gabaldy Rebake move again or if it's just gonna stand still with thruster effects.

And don't forget this started as a force vs force mmo. With a single FvF taking place in ep 7. Any WoW players think it would be fair to say this is like playing for months and avoiding battlegrounds and raids in favor of delivery and fetch quests with fishing on the side.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Last episode was a lot of fun. Fun characters interacting in fun ways, and good jokes.

This episode we got a ten minute long exposition dump from a bird.

SpikeMcclane
Sep 11, 2005

You want the story?
I'll spin it for you quick...

Sazabi posted:

And don't forget this started as a force vs force mmo. With a single FvF taking place in ep 7. Any WoW players think it would be fair to say this is like playing for months and avoiding battlegrounds and raids in favor of delivery and fetch quests with fishing on the side.
Your comparison is correct though. Even blizzard has pretty much given up on making PvP WoW a thing. Esports is dungeon speed runs now; PvP servers are gone; and the new faction war stuff is PvE, sometimes with simulated opposing faction players.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Lurking Haro posted:

Putting the :hurr: reaction by the administration aside, this will lead to connecting the old Gunpla Battle system to GBN and transfer Sarah over there, right?

Also, where are my loving Gundam fights?!

My money's on Sarah being downloaded to a real life Haro. That way she would be able to experience the real world with the gang and would also vaguely leave the opportunity open for her to log into GBN and enjoy having legs and taking care of her stupid nonsense pet thingy. Then again that might just make too much sense for this series.

One thing's for sure though, we're never getting those amazing 10v10 flag battles. That was all a lie.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

RillAkBea posted:

My money's on Sarah being downloaded to a real life Haro. That way she would be able to experience the real world with the gang and would also vaguely leave the opportunity open for her to log into GBN and enjoy having legs and taking care of her stupid nonsense pet thingy. Then again that might just make too much sense for this series.

One thing's for sure though, we're never getting those amazing 10v10 flag battles. That was all a lie.

Lie is such a harsh word.

It was a logical ruse.

(Logical because there was no way anyone would have even started watching if they'd pitched the show on what we actually got.)

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
To nobody's surprise The Guard machines are getting an HG kit with alternate heads like the BD Leo.

Actually seeing it in kit form, I gotta say I'm not a fan of the feet. They're a little too industrial and don't blend well with the rest of the design, even with the knee rails.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

At this point the series feels like a failed JRPG run. We're at the final stretch of bosses but no time has been spent on levelling up characters and going on side quests so we're locked into the end game with a subpar party.

Like if they had spent even the slightest amount of time on characterization, that argument between Kyoya and Rommel could have been a really pivotal moment. But instead we still know nothing about their motivations and personalities (other than a shared unhealthy obsession with a certain teenage boy) so their roles could have been switched and nothing would have felt any different.

Even the ogre fight fell fairly flat as cool as the GP-0gre was.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I skipped last week's episode because frankly it seemed like the most predictable poo poo ever and if I want to be told things I already know I'd rewatch LOGH for a fiftieth time

This week, though, there was a cool fight with Ogre, and the beginning of what will surely be a comically elaborate pretext for the Build Divers to fight against everyone else "for Sara's sake" (even though they've already agreed to try and not delete her if possible) so all in all I felt amused

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
GP-Ogre is not as cool as the Ogre GN-X. Fight me.

Fun fight, didn't really watch the rest. Ogre cleverly removed the Physalis' weak spot (the shield) though he ruined the head again.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

BizarroAzrael posted:

GP-Ogre is not as cool as the Ogre GN-X. Fight me.

Naw, I think I'm with you on that. There's something weirdly generic about the GN-X's mix of points and curves that make it look like a whole new design when you start adding custom parts. While on the other hand the GP-02 is unique and iconic enough that GP-Ogre kinda just looked like a cheap palette swap. I'm all for more GP stuff though, would definitely have liked to see more of that this season. (Would definitely have liked to have seen more gunpla of any kind this season jesus christ :argh:)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sazabi
Feb 15, 2014

A-MA-ZON!!
Yeah gnx- ogre was this cool melee focus muscle machine.

GP-orge is redder. And shoots lasers while the pilot whines about not having any good opponents.

I did enjoy when he accused Riku's team of cheating with Sarah's power. The Riku looks to unintentionally use Sarah's power to beat him.

Anyone catch sight of an orange Jegan or was that also a lie?

• Locked thread