Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Collapsing Farts posted:

Doom 2016 was probably the best shooter made in the last 10 years and Doom: Eternal seems to be set to become the best shooter this generation as well

glory kills are stupid & repetitive and ruin the pace

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Jack Trades posted:

Okay, here's an actual unpopular opinion (apparently).

I thought that Witcher 3's combat was quite enjoyable for the whole 200-something hours.

expecting the player to unlock bestiary entries and read them to determine which oils to use for a given monster is fine, and if you're using that auto-oil mod goons seem to think is required you're playing with training wheels

Flinger
Oct 16, 2012

poverty goat posted:

Faster & better reaching glory kill runes are essential, it's like a new mobility option

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

poverty goat posted:

auto-oil mod

lol what kind of bitch made punk does this?

Vakal
May 11, 2008

poverty goat posted:

I think it would be better if they could only be done if the Doom Guy is below 25-30% health.

That way you still have a way to recover health in a pinch without running away to find a health kit, while also making the glory kills less common so they still sort of feel special.

As it is, having every single enemies flash yellow when they are near death makes the whole game seem cartoony.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Lots of god awful opinions about DOOM ITT

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Vakal posted:

Having every single enemies flash yellow when they are near death makes the whole game seem cartoony.

Oh boy you sure ain't gonna like Eternal then.

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.

poverty goat posted:

expecting the player to unlock bestiary entries and read them to determine which oils to use for a given monster is fine, and if you're using that auto-oil mod goons seem to think is required you're playing with training wheels

there's nothing difficult about Witcher 3 at all, the combat is just boring and repetitive, especially if you go down the alchemy tree. Everything else about the game is great though.

blockchain prenup
Mar 8, 2018

Vakal posted:

Level scaling enemies and loot was a mistake.

good take. For some reason Skyrim is a more or less constant difficulty level and there's no higher-risk, higher-reward or lower-risk, lower-reward areas, plus if you get the unique items before a certain level they just suck. Very unfun imo

here's a hot take: Fallout 4 had a much better difficulty system where the farther you got from Sanctuary the harder things got

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Chomp8645 posted:

lol what kind of bitch made punk does this?

I dunno, some people play RPGs for the story and keep them on Very Easy. This happens because combat in many RPGs is dire and sometimes the difficulties scale badly (Fallout Very Hard or w/e is Not Fun Mode).

Harrow posted:

The best thing about how Doom Eternal looks so far is all the new movement options, which will push it a little closer to Titanfall 2

Though it probably won't have levels as cool as Titanfall 2 does.

Titanfall 2 is $6 on PSN right now btw

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Sodomy Hussein posted:

I dunno, some people play RPGs for the story and keep them on Very Easy. This happens because combat in many RPGs is dire and sometimes the difficulties scale badly (Fallout Very Hard or w/e is Not Fun Mode).

Doing out of combat research and preparation is distinctly NOT combat lol. It something you do out of combat. It's lore stuff. It's preparation. It's "actually acting like a god drat witcher".

You can't explain it away as "I don't like the combat". It's a bitch move for lazy idiots who can't handle any game experience but "turn on, be presented with story." It's for people who don't like reading and thinking, not people who don't like the combat.And this besides the fact that just LOL if you're already playing on Very Easy and it even matters whether you have the right oils.

Like I'm trying to imagine someone just trying and failing on Very Easy and being exasperated because they don't have the right oil. Like just dying over and over on the easiest setting and thinking "if only I had the right oil I could do this!" lol

Meme Poker Party fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Aug 14, 2018

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Sodomy Hussein posted:

I dunno, some people play RPGs for the story and keep them on Very Easy.

Color me hugely surprised, maybe the opaque was in you all along

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.

Chomp8645 posted:

Doing out of combat research and preparation is distinctly NOT combat lol. It something you do out of combat. It's lore stuff. It's preparation. It's "actually acting like a god drat witcher".

You can't explain it away as "I don't like the combat". It's a bitch move for lazy idiots who can't handle any game experience but "turn on, be presented with story." It's for people who don't like reading and thinking, not people who don't like the combat.And this besides the fact that just LOL if you're already playing on Very Easy and it even matters whether you have the right oils.

Like I'm trying to imagine someone just trying and failing on Very Easy and being exasperated because they don't have the right oil. Like just dying over and over on the easiest setting and thinking "if only I had the right oil I could do this!" lol

lol if you think there aren't people beating on monsters with their steel swords forever, confused by the deflections.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Chomp8645 posted:

I haven't played Witcher so I don't even know if it has a Very Easy. And if you can't be arsed to read storybooks to learn what you are supposed to do at the next section, then yeah lol.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Wrath of the Bitch King posted:

lol if you think there aren't people beating on monsters with their steel swords forever, confused by the deflections.

Unironically if the a game like The Witcher was published by EA or Ubisoft they'd probably have cut the Two Swords mechanic for not being accessible enough lol.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Wrath of the Bitch King posted:

The game automatically draws the correct sword, though I don't doubt there were people who drew the other sword because it looked cooler or something. What I don't get is, since they went to the trouble of drawing the right sword for you, why even make it possible to draw the wrong one

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Sodomy Hussein posted:

I haven't played Witcher

Ok yeah well then so you know the Oils thing is really all about preparation. You read codex entries to find out about a monster and what it's weakness might be. The entries are usually the result of talking to NPCs, or reading books, or other research type things. Then you make the proper oils through alchemy, once you have the materials. It's all out-of-combat stuff, and it's actually quite good and immersive and makes you feel like a real Witcher preparing for the monster hunt.

So really, someone who auto-mods it out isn't doing so for the combat difficulty aspect. They're doing it because they're either a lame Gaming Dad or just plain old bitch made and don't want to read or think about anything. It's a move that brings you less non-combat content, in a game specifically praised for it's story and immersion and not for it's combat.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
lol, it's immediately obvious what oil you should use with any given monster, you never need to "research" poo poo, and the only problem is that all the inventory icons look the same so it's more hassle to apply oils manually than to power through without them. The people who "study" bestiary pages before every encounter are very special individuals - like, bitch, all it's going to tell you is to slash it with a sword or to use the same sign you always use

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Chomp8645 posted:

Lol that people take other people playing video games "wrong" this seriously. Just lol.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
I'm all for people playing how they want, but if you don't meet a game at least somewhat on its own terms then you're not going to have much fun with it

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

steinrokkan posted:

lol, it's immediately obvious what oil you should use with any given monster, you never need to "research" poo poo, and the only problem is that all the inventory icons look the same so it's more hassle to apply oils manually than to power through without them. The people who "study" bestiary pages before every encounter are very special individuals - like, bitch, all it's going to tell you is to slash it with a sword or to use the same sign you always use

IIRC nothing except the bestiary tells you to use Yrden on Wraiths and if you don't know about that then you're just not going to be able to kill them.

Same goes for a few other monsters as well.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

1redflag posted:

Lol that people take other people playing video games "wrong" this seriously. Just lol.

Don't you counter-lol me.

People are allowed to play games however they want, and I'm allowed to make fun of them if they play them like a little bitch!!!

Meme Poker Party fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Aug 14, 2018

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Jack Trades posted:

IIRC nothing except the bestiary tells you to use Yrden on Wraiths and if you don't know about that then you're just not going to be able to kill them.

Same goes for a few other monsters as well.

You should be able to figure it out with good old fashioned experimentation even if you don't read the bestiary entry or listen to Geralt mumble something about Yrden like I'm sure he does as the first wraith hunt gets started. The dude sounds out the basic method of approach any time a monster is introduced.

Wrath of the Bitch King fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Aug 14, 2018

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
I know some people will think it's heresy but I really think roguelites should keep track off and give you actual info on all items they've previously found.
I'm at the point with Binding of Isaac that I just keep a wiki open on my second screen since there's so much poo poo to keep track of. Just let me pause and pull up a list of all the items, cards and power ups I'v ever picked up plus the pills from the current run.
Obviously this should be a toggle for those who oppose it.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Lodin posted:

I know some people will think it's heresy but I really think roguelites should keep track off and give you actual info on all items they've previously found.
I'm at the point with Binding of Isaac that I just keep a wiki open on my second screen since there's so much poo poo to keep track of. Just let me pause and pull up a list of all the items, cards and power ups I'v ever picked up plus the pills from the current run.

I'm pretty sure there are mods for BoI that do just that as well as display a running total of your damage and tear speed values.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Lodin posted:

I agree. It was easier when there was only about 150 items, you'd generally keep track of which ones did something odd. But then in the newest version you get triple the amount of items with booster packs coming out that add even more. Not to mention some items have synergy or completely break if you get them like chocolate milk and technology

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Lodin posted:

With a game like BoI that makes a ton of sense as a feature. It's all about unlocking new pickups to find in future runs. Having to either memorize what all the icons are or look them up on a wiki is just dumb.

It's not like BoI is a roguelike in the vein of DCSS or Nethack, where the items themselves are somewhat randomized and not knowing what you just picked up is part of the gameplay (do I drink/wear it and take a calculated risk, or wait until I can identify?). In BoI, unless items are hidden by a curse or otherwise intentionally mysterious until you pick it up or use it (like pills, which are randomized), there's no real reason to be like "hope u remember this icon lol"

IDONTPOST
Apr 18, 2018

Monster Hunter World sucks rear end and I’m going to assume that all the rest of the games are trash as well.

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007
My wife plays Binding of Isaac all the time and she used to always have that item wiki page up on her tablet. She’s got them memorized now mostly, but that’s after playing more hours than a normal person should ever be expected to in any circumstance.

Unless the designers were specifically targeting heavily psychotic women, in which case they were spot on I guess.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Chomp8645 posted:

Ok yeah well then so you know the Oils thing is really all about preparation. You read codex entries to find out about a monster and what it's weakness might be. The entries are usually the result of talking to NPCs, or reading books, or other research type things. Then you make the proper oils through alchemy, once you have the materials. It's all out-of-combat stuff, and it's actually quite good and immersive and makes you feel like a real Witcher preparing for the monster hunt.

So really, someone who auto-mods it out isn't doing so for the combat difficulty aspect. They're doing it because they're either a lame Gaming Dad or just plain old bitch made and don't want to read or think about anything. It's a move that brings you less non-combat content, in a game specifically praised for it's story and immersion and not for it's combat.

"Hmm if my interpretation of this codex is correct then vampires have a weakness to vampire oil"

Oiling your blade is cool and interesting for the first 1-2 times that you do it but it gets boring and tedious by the time that you have 15 identical-looking unlabeled bottles. All that auto-oil does is remove this tedium. You still need to determine weaknesses (to signs, bomb types, etc) by reading codex entries, which were only ever tangentially useful for determining which oil to use anyway (because you don't need a codex entry to tell you that Draconid Oil is for Dragons, Insectoid Oil is for giant insects, etc), so really the only thing that this does is remove the step of loving around in your inventory to apply the right oil. This is a good thing and doesn't remove anything of significance, it's a quality of life thing like having an inventory auto-sort or fast travel on the world map (or did you forego using those as well? A real witcher would manually move things around in his pack!!)

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

IDONTPOST posted:

Monster Hunter World sucks rear end

:agreed:

Like I respect people's opinion and if they enjoy it then great. But man, I do not get it AT ALL. The gameplay is incredibly slow and boring, the story is complete nonsense, and the monster fights are like Dark Souls but if every object weighed a thousand pounds and was placed on ice (without ice skates).

The only good things are the eating scenes and the little cats who call you Meowster.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

QuarkJets posted:

it's a quality of life thing like having an inventory auto-sort or fast travel on the world map (or did you forego using those as well? A real witcher would manually move things around in his pack!!)

Ok maybe I didn't understand what the mod did so it sounded a lot worse. You got me there. But I hate this part of your post so instead of admitting wrong I'm just gonna tell you to shut up you stupid bitch!!!

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Chomp8645 posted:

:agreed:

Like I respect people's opinion and if they enjoy it then great. But man, I do not get it AT ALL. The gameplay is incredibly slow and boring, the story is complete nonsense, and the monster fights are like Dark Souls but if every object weighed a thousand pounds and was placed on ice (without ice skates).

The only good things are the eating scenes and the little cats who call you Meowster.

The combat system in Dragon's Dogma has kind of ruined all other monster hunting types games for me forever.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

IDONTPOST posted:

Monster Hunter World sucks rear end and I’m going to assume that all the rest of the games are trash as well.

yee. I tried so hard to like it but it was so boring

AGGGGH BEES
Apr 28, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Malah posted:

There hasn't been a single good arena shooter since Unreal Tournament 2004. There have been decent games since then which happen to be arena shooters, but they all have severe flaws and completely inadequate degrees of customization and modding potential. If Overwatch's class system wasn't so tight, its garbage map design (seriously, fire every single map designer at Blizzard who's worked on OW) and terrible game modes would be more obvious flaws.

Example: what was the last game with a decent CTF mode? How about a good CTF mode?

Agreed, and the new Unreal they're working on removed all of the cool mobility options from 2k4 and thus sucks.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Malah posted:

Example: what was the last game with a decent CTF mode? How about a good CTF mode?

Titanfall 2

Vakal
May 11, 2008

AGGGGH BEES posted:

Agreed, and the new Unreal they're working on removed all of the cool mobility options from 2k4 and thus sucks.

My dream game will always be a version of Unreal Tournament that placed emphases more on the team management aspect of the series than just the combat.

UT2K4 had a little bit of that, mainly just picking up new team members as they came available, but I always wanted sometime more realistic like having a set budget to work with and having to work around player contracts, trades, and injuries with the goal of having to build up a team from nothing and trying to win the Liandri tournament over the course of several seasons.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Chomp8645 posted:

Ok maybe I didn't understand what the mod did so it sounded a lot worse. You got me there. But I hate this part of your post so instead of admitting wrong I'm just gonna tell you to shut up you stupid bitch!!!

lol when you complained about people not getting the authentic witcher experience I imagined you playing the game while wearing a doublet and sitting on a paper-mache horse

I DEMAND AN AUTHENTIC VIDEO GAME EXPERIENCE *stuffs several pies into his open maw after making geralt do the same*

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

QuarkJets posted:

lol when you complained about people not getting the authentic witcher experience I imagined you playing the game while wearing a doublet and sitting on a paper-mache horse

I DEMAND AN AUTHENTIC VIDEO GAME EXPERIENCE *stuffs several pies into his open maw after making geralt do the same*

Does this also mean they keep nude trading cards of all their old girlfriends if they're a dude? Or a big old stack of them to hand out to anyone they sleep with if they're a lady?

Seriously. For all the praise the witcher series gets, that mechanic was unsettling and it kind of kills any interest in the series at all for me. I mean, that poo poo's worse than bioware romances.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
If it helps that was only in the first one, you can skip them and honestly you can probably skip the first game too.