Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

DrNutt posted:

But of course the Doctor's Daughter makes it seem like he's never been a parent until then so :shrug:

I mean, aside from the line where he mentions it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

I love watching old Doctor Who with Radio Free Skaro commentary. Its so chill and good. I'm ALSO going through the revival series from Tennant's debut onward. Man the cinematography is flat as a pancake. But David is good, the dialog and pacing is fine. Micky is more annoying than I remember. Jackie is cooler than I remember. It must be because I'm ten years older. However, the CGI is so shoddy. They just use way too much of it. So much of it.

I've also been thinking a lot of Paradise Towers. Does anybody know of a better vaporwave DW ep? Maybe that lovely early 90s special?

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Dabir posted:

I mean, aside from the line where he mentions it?

Apparently it was a blink and miss it sort of thing.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

DrNutt posted:

Apparently it was a blink and miss it sort of thing.

The Doctor makes mention across the revival that he was a father and a grandfather a few times.

Susan he just tries to do his best by, and you'll see how that ends up

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

If the Five Doctors was in any way worth it for anything but some of the performances, I would consider it a massive waste of potential in how it handled Susan. That said, it is what it is and I enjoy it for 2 and 3.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Lampsacus posted:

I've also been thinking a lot of Paradise Towers. Does anybody know of a better vaporwave DW ep? Maybe that lovely early 90s special?

You mean the EastEnders crossover?

I think you could look into something like the unofficial spin-offs from the wilderness years like Shakedown, Downtime or Daemos Rising.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Regarding the BF Iron Legion adaptation, it's pretty poor that nobody even bothered to tell Pat Mills and John Wagner - the original writers - that they were doing it, never mind offer to pay them any money. Mills only learned about it when someone told him on Twitter.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Mills actually wrote for BF before.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
https://twitter.com/notdcfcboss/status/1029111459916259328

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

https://twitter.com/StephenMcGann/status/1028925685413363712

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

DrNutt posted:

That's actually pretty reassuring. I still can't believe they used two episodes for that concept.

Would just like to say that that post is a big lie. (Both because Aliens of London is good and because there's a lot of absolute rubbish in the old series.)

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Man, the score to “Heaven Sent” is So Good.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

After The War posted:

Don't worry, I'm sure there will be a thread consensus about which episodes you should watch...

:kheldragar:

Robots of Death

How about The Ambassadors

Of Death

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

One of my favorite parts of the 10/Rose dynamic is those brief moments where the Doctor will casually mention something and you see Rose's fantasy world get punctured momentarily as she realizes she really doesn't know anything about him.

I think it's in The Impossible Planet where he's talking about being trapped in that time and maybe having to get a job, and she's all,"And maybe get married? :bigtran:" and he just kind of off-the-cuff mumbles something like,"I was married once..." and then just moves on, but she's left kind of shocked.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Jerusalem posted:

One of my favorite parts of the 10/Rose dynamic is those brief moments where the Doctor will casually mention something and you see Rose's fantasy world get punctured momentarily as she realizes she really doesn't know anything about him.

I think it's in The Impossible Planet where he's talking about being trapped in that time and maybe having to get a job, and she's all,"And maybe get married? :bigtran:" and he just kind of off-the-cuff mumbles something like,"I was married once..." and then just moves on, but she's left kind of shocked.

Anybody else want to see River Song meet Rose and have a Jealous Smug Off?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Or the moment in School Reunion when Rose realises she’s not the first companion. :allears:

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

The_Doctor posted:

Honestly, no.

Now I'm imagining Timelash if the Borad had a flatulence problem.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

The_Doctor posted:

Or the moment in School Reunion when Rose realises she’s not the first companion. :allears:

Related, much as I really didn't like the dynamic of Martha's unrequited love for the Doctor, "Oh she was blonde" in Utopia (I think) covers a multitude of sins.

Man, Utopia was loving brilliant. Shame about the way it all ended up.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

The_Doctor posted:

gently caress yes, then her and Sarah Jane competing with crazy poo poo they've done until they realize just how loving ridiculous they're being (Sarah Jane won, by the way!)

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so

Jerusalem posted:

(Sarah Jane won, by the way!)

LOCH

NESS

MONSTER

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Jerusalem posted:

gently caress yes, then her and Sarah Jane competing with crazy poo poo they've done until they realize just how loving ridiculous they're being (Sarah Jane won, by the way!)

And poor Mickey, the tin dog.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

docbeard posted:

As much as I don't really like the RTD era, the last 10 minutes of Utopia are goddamn amazing, and rank up there in the show's best moments.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

docbeard posted:

Related, much as I really didn't like the dynamic of Martha's unrequited love for the Doctor, "Oh she was blonde" in Utopia (I think) covers a multitude of sins.

I will fight you. I know for a fact you looked at Peri's boobies while Five was dying. Traitor.

I'm just glad John Simm got to be in at least one episode where I don't have to go 'but look, his performance is actually really good, please ignore the actual plot that's happening'.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

HopperUK posted:

I will fight you. I know for a fact you looked at Peri's boobies while Five was dying. Traitor.

I'm just glad John Simm got to be in at least one episode where I don't have to go 'but look, his performance is actually really good, please ignore the actual plot that's happening'.

In addition to World Enough/The Doctor Falls, I unironically love The End of Time in all its hokey glory.

It's really just Last of the Time Lords I can't defend (except for the Scissors Sisters bit which requires no defense)

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

I just want you to know that I laugh at this joke every time it's made.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

cargohills posted:

Would just like to say that that post is a big lie. (Both because Aliens of London is good and because there's a lot of absolute rubbish in the old series.)

There really is someone who likes any given episode. v:shobon:v

Didn’t we have someone who even liked THE BIG FINISH AUDIO THAT SHALL NOT BE NAMED?

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Doctor Zero posted:

There really is someone who likes any given episode. v:shobon:v

There's a reason we call it the First Rule. Also because it's catchy.

Doctor Zero posted:

Didn’t we have someone who even liked THE BIG FINISH AUDIO THAT SHALL NOT BE NAMED?

Umm... Unbound or main series? :ohdear:

If it's the Unbound one, you may be thinking of me, although I usually phrase it as "don't hate it as much as I should because that David Tennant fellow seems to be having the time of his life."

If it's the main series (and it still needs to be narrowed down a little) I'm clear, though!

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

I'll name it.

Nekromentia.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Davros1 posted:

I'll name it.

Nekromentia.

That one was bad, but I still though Scherzo was worse. Creed of the Kromon also was particularly bad, basically on par with Nekromentia.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
Just, if you’re watching BBV productions, skip Zygon.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

After The War posted:

There's a reason we call it the First Rule. Also because it's catchy.

Umm... Unbound or main series? :ohdear:

If it's the Unbound one, you may be thinking of me, although I usually phrase it as "don't hate it as much as I should because that David Tennant fellow seems to be having the time of his life."

If it's the main series (and it still needs to be narrowed down a little) I'm clear, though!

Actually the Unbound one was more of a slog than flat out horrible IMO and had some redeeming things.

But fine if you’re going to make name it then I’m talking about Minuet

... in Hell

TWANG!

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Minuet is awful, but it's too goofy for me to really hate.

Nekrothingie and Creed of the Kromon are just deeply unpleasant and gross.

FreezingInferno
Jul 15, 2010

THERE.
WILL.
BE.
NO.
BATTLE.
HERE!
I forget what the Nekro one does but isn't it by Mr. Misery himself, Joseph Lidster?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

FreezingInferno posted:

I forget what the Nekro one does but isn't it by Mr. Misery himself, Joseph Lidster?

No, "Nekromanteia" wasn't Lidster. I don't remember who wrote it but I believe Davison was so upset with how it turned out that he refused to do any more of their scripts after it.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Austen Atkinson, apparently.

Muppetjedi
Mar 17, 2010

The_Doctor posted:

Or one of the few good moments in Fear Her (I had to google the title) where he just casually drops that he was a dad once, and Rose's reaction is just of shock.

I really wish they played that aspect of the relationship more rather than the "TRU WUV" that ended up being the focus

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
No one should ever watch Fear Her ever again.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Rhyno posted:

No one should ever watch Fear Her ever again.

Fear Her is perfectly okay if you ignore the Olympics nonsense.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

docbeard posted:

Fear Her is perfectly okay if you ignore the Olympics nonsense.

You took a council axe from a council van and you're using it to dig up a council road! I'm reporting you to the council!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

docbeard posted:

Minuet is awful, but it's too goofy for me to really hate.

I totally agree. Minuet is dumb dumb dumb, but it has the most hilarious accents and it reads like an episode of Buffy the Vampire Slayer rather than one of Doctor Who.

• Locked thread