Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zombiepop
Mar 30, 2010
A cold war/political game would be lovely, or V3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Crazycryodude posted:

I'd ask for a Cold War game but I'm not really sure how well the cloak and dagger bullshit and insurgencies that really characterize the era would work with the traditional map game format.

Instead of outright conquest you'd have spheres of influence and clandestine alliances fought with a combination of open diplomacy, spy action and black ops stuff like assassinations. There could be like a doomsday clock mechanic that would limit your ability to conduct too much overt military action or penalize you for getting caught loving too directly with the enemy factions, but the third world is pretty much open season. Basically design the game with espionage and politics from the ground up and then work in economics and warfare around the edges instead of the opposite, i.e. how they're usually built.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
maybe paradox is bad

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Drone posted:

So if CK2’s dev cycle (theoretically) ends a year from now with Expansion 15, where do they shift their focus? It still feels too early for CK3, and they’re almost certainly already working on V3 as one of their couple of unannounced projects.
It's really not too early for CK3 since it would be in development at least a couple of years before being announced. It wouldn't be too surprising if they already started work on parts of it.

Also I really really want CK3 with Imperator's province numbers as soon as possible.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Sindai posted:

Also I really really want CK3 with Imperator's province numbers as soon as possible.

CK2's got 5,611 holding slots, on map those and you're halfway there

Crazycryodude posted:

I'd ask for a Cold War game but I'm not really sure how well the cloak and dagger bullshit and insurgencies that really characterize the era would work with the traditional map game format.

What a X-COMlike instead? https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3865558 :toot:

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Sindai posted:

It's really not too early for CK3 since it would be in development at least a couple of years before being announced. It wouldn't be too surprising if they already started work on parts of it.

They've discussed the need for CK3 in interviews recently so it's certainly on their mind. I'd expect to see them talking about it properly in a few years time.

Nosfereefer
Jun 15, 2011

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM

Phlegmish posted:

It wasn't a period of huge technological advancements, was it? I guess they had impressive aqueducts and stuff.

Basically it wasn't. A lot of advances were made in the ancient world, but the Roman Empire itself was pretty stagnant. By comparison, a lot of major breakthroughs in stuff like agriculture were made in the following "Dark Age".

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Crazycryodude posted:

Bronze Age Mesopotamian city-states game or maybe Egypt would be really cool. Or MotE II, that'd be nice. I'd ask for a Cold War game but I'm not really sure how well the cloak and dagger bullshit and insurgencies that really characterize the era would work with the traditional map game format.

I think a Cold War mapgame would work best if the main actors were organizations rather than people or counties. Like, political parties, politburo factions, armed rebellions, and terrorist groups, all represented under one system. Countries, like in CK2, are tools to be used by the group that controls it, with their own laws governing how the country is run and what the group in charge is allowed to do (with, of course, the option to perform illegal activities if you think you can can keep it quiet or have enough control over your country that it doesn't matter if you get caught), and fought over by other groups, either peacefully or violently. Armed rebellions can become political parties after they seize control of a country/declare independence in a controlled region, or as part of a peace agreement. Political parties can transition into armed groups if another party takes over and goes all tyrannical. Receiving support and exploiting popular dissent could turn groups that were complete jokes in our timeline into powerhouses.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
That's actually a pretty neat idea. You could have the systems evolve to be more international over the course of the game as the world became more globalized too so the stakes would ramp up more, and maybe have emergent factions like private companies.

Zombiepop
Mar 30, 2010
Yeah that sounds p good

Pacho
Jun 9, 2010
Reskinned CK2 would work great as a cold war game. Current politics is essentially a family business. The court is replaced by the party. The point of the game is amassing wealth and avoid getting couped, you only need a mechanic for adopting a political protégé in case none of your children is interested in joining the party. One of the upsides would be starting as a young councilman in a small city and ending up ruling Europa

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

The problem with games more abstract than "we rule this territory, let us paint the map our color" is that Paradox would have to work out new form of graphical representation of the government that's more than just a map, series of pie charts, or a table of stats, and I have yet to see Paradox put forth something like that. It's possible, just so far as I've seen, they're not interested in trying something like that.

Of course, if they do work out a good, fun internal politics simulator, that would be perfect for plugging into Vicky 3.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Competing clouds consisting of networks of colored webs, with nodes in the webs representing ideas and modalities of thought. The sum total of all the clouds represents the will of the nation. Clouds with greater dominance and pull are able to more strongly influence the direction of the nation.

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

Pakled posted:

I think a Cold War mapgame would work best if the main actors were organizations rather than people or counties. Like, political parties, politburo factions, armed rebellions, and terrorist groups, all represented under one system. Countries, like in CK2, are tools to be used by the group that controls it, with their own laws governing how the country is run and what the group in charge is allowed to do (with, of course, the option to perform illegal activities if you think you can can keep it quiet or have enough control over your country that it doesn't matter if you get caught), and fought over by other groups, either peacefully or violently. Armed rebellions can become political parties after they seize control of a country/declare independence in a controlled region, or as part of a peace agreement. Political parties can transition into armed groups if another party takes over and goes all tyrannical. Receiving support and exploiting popular dissent could turn groups that were complete jokes in our timeline into powerhouses.

I love this idea.

Now I really want to play as an ousted Democratic party trying to decide who to run on the party ticket next election and sighing when I inevitably choose Jimmy Carter. Twice.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Ralph Nader insanity hardcore mode world conquest!

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Pakled posted:

So a simulator, of the geopolitical nature, you might say?

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Basically that, but good.

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...
I want a reboot for Balance of Power.

But not the 1985 video game, instead the forum games based on it.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Takanago posted:

I want a reboot for Balance of Power.

But not the 1985 video game, instead the forum games based on it.

How do you feel about Enver Hoxha?

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won
I just imagined the states using the CK2 kingdom law voting to approve or reject constitutional amendments, or to nominate a party candidate

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer
I'll just keep hoping for another Sengoku game, except this time the devs care for more than 20 minutes post-launch.

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

haha yes, this feels good

Toilet Rascal
I really hope Paradox has plans to update the Clausewitz Engine to 64 bit in the coming year. As a mac user, I will be very upset if I can't play next fall when Apple stops supporting 32bit.

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?
Are you loving kidding me. Jesus Christ, Apple, why are you such dipshit assholes. How the hell do you keep making so much money.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

Redeye Flight posted:

Are you loving kidding me. Jesus Christ, Apple, why are you such dipshit assholes. How the hell do you keep making so much money.

Macs don't, iPhones and iPads do. Macs are 10% of their revenue now, which is why they haven't been meaningfully upgraded in years.

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

Toilet Rascal
To be fair, Clausewitz Engine should be 64bit at this point anyways. That’s my strong opinion for the day, Groogy.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
Apple is just forcing people to get with the times. The switch from 32 to 64 shouldn't take as long as switching from IPv4 to IPv6....

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Tahirovic posted:

Apple is just forcing people to get with the times. The switch from 32 to 64 shouldn't take as long as switching from IPv4 to IPv6....

actively making 32-bit software stop running sounds like an incredible way to ensure that a bunch of companies will never buy a mac again because they won't run some tool from 1994 that's perceived as vital to business

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
Ugh legacy macs are a thing for other reasons. Some old software for technical equipment and scientific equipment is never updated by the vendors because they want to sell you new hardware.
I gotta support printing on an OS X 10.5 because some lovely microscope costs 60k to replace and there's no software for newer versions.

Not supporting 32bit legacy software is no big deal really.

pdxjohan
Sep 9, 2011

Paradox dev dude.

Dirk Pitt posted:

I really hope Paradox has plans to update the Clausewitz Engine to 64 bit in the coming year. As a mac user, I will be very upset if I can't play next fall when Apple stops supporting 32bit.

Imperator is 64 bit.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

Jazerus posted:

actively making 32-bit software stop running sounds like an incredible way to ensure that a bunch of companies will never buy a mac again because they won't run some tool from 1994 that's perceived as vital to business

Ah, yes, Mac software, famously runnable since 1994. No major architecture changes, let alone multiple, with the Mac operating systems since 1994. No siree. Definitely haven't been any major changes since 1994 to the Mac operating system breaking applications that worked in 1994. This is it. This is gonna be the first time the many, many business uses which rely on Macs in 2018 are gonna break since 1994.

pdxjohan posted:

Imperator is 64 bit.

Do you know the odds of the other games getting bumped up? Probably not high, huh.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Beamed posted:

Do you know the odds of the other games getting bumped up? Probably not high, huh.

I'd be surprised if the older games get an upgrade because they'd never be able to drop 32 bit entirely so the benefits would be limited.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Imperator being 64 bit might have something to do with its higher map resolution requiring more memory. If your game won't actually make good use of more than 4gb of memory, upgrading your engine to 64-bit isn't always a net benefit. I think some paradox devs have talked about this in the past in relation to why their current games are 32-bit.

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Imperator being 64 bit might have something to do with its higher map resolution requiring more memory. If your game won't actually make good use of more than 4gb of memory, upgrading your engine to 64-bit isn't always a net benefit. I think some paradox devs have talked about this in the past in relation to why their current games are 32-bit.

PDX games already use some kind of homebrew 64 bit values in some places. So actually a big value is represented as two - half the integer part as one 32 bit integer, and the remaining fractional value 0 to 2 as another 32 bit integer.

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

Toilet Rascal

pdxjohan posted:

Imperator is 64 bit.

Fantastic, thank you!

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

I hope EUIV runs on ARM Macs in 2020.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Jazerus posted:

good

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

It's amazing and somewhat frightening how much vital IT infrastructure still runs on truly ancient technology. The frightening part is that many of the few people who still know how to run these machines are either retiring, aging, or dying.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-banks-cobol/banks-scramble-to-fix-old-systems-as-it-cowboys-ride-into-sunset-idUSKBN17C0D8

quote:

NEW YORK (Reuters) - Bill Hinshaw is not a typical 75-year-old. He divides his time between his family – he has 32 grandchildren and great-grandchildren – and helping U.S. companies avert crippling computer meltdowns.

Hinshaw, who got into programming in the 1960s when computers took up entire rooms and programmers used punch cards, is a member of a dwindling community of IT veterans who specialize in a vintage programming language called COBOL.

pdxjohan
Sep 9, 2011

Paradox dev dude.

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Upgrading to 64bit now is for future benefits. The game would run just as fine in 32

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

DrSunshine posted:

It's amazing and somewhat frightening how much vital IT infrastructure still runs on truly ancient technology. The frightening part is that many of the few people who still know how to run these machines are either retiring, aging, or dying.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-banks-cobol/banks-scramble-to-fix-old-systems-as-it-cowboys-ride-into-sunset-idUSKBN17C0D8

You can walk into a cushy high-paying job if you as a young person are willing to dedicate your life to learning 50-year-old programming languages and then maintaing 50-year-old computer systems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

vyelkin posted:

You can walk into a cushy high-paying job if you as a young person are willing to dedicate your life to learning 50-year-old programming languages and then maintaing 50-year-old computer systems.

Though that means they will call you every time something goes wrong.

Which will happen a lot