Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alfalfa
Apr 24, 2003

Superman Don't Need No Seat Belt

89 posted:

So, how much do you guys like dynasty leagues? Only type of league I'm not in.

They are so much better.

In the past two years I’ve gone from 5 redraft, 1 keeper, 1 dynasty to 6 dynasty, 1 keeper, and 2 redraft.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

Alfalfa posted:

We still only drafting 1 TE in redraft this year?

Doing these mock drafts I can't get out of the dynasty mindset and always end up with 2 on my team.

Personally, unless benches are really small, I like getting two tight ends. I know it goes against the consensus, but I feel like hitting on that tight end sleeper is more valuable than a wide receiver. I think it's easier to find a breakout player at other positions on the waiver wire than it is tight ends. I can't quantify this at all, so I could just be dumb and bad.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

There's always several breakout TEs on the waivers, you guys are crazy.
Look at the ADPs of the top 24 TEs for the past few years.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!

89 posted:

Any goon Year 1 startup dynasty leagues got an open spot? lol

Also up for this.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

My offer for Barkley fell through, so I'm still not sure what to do with my #2 overall pick, and my draft is Thursday night.

I was offered Alex Collins($2), 2018 3.09, and a 2019 first for it? Thoughts? I'm not big on Collins, but he's super cheap.

My team:

His team:

1QB/2RB/2WR/1TE/3FLEX - 1ppr standard scoring

I'd like to work out something for Hunt or Fournette, but I'm not sure where to begin.

Should I counter with Collins ($2) and Mack ($2), plus the 3.09 and 2019 first rounder?

RCarr posted:

What do you guys think about me offering the #2 overall pick this year, my first round pick next year (should be pick 7-10 since I’ll make the playoffs) and Allen Robinson ($12) for the first overall pick this year (Saquon Barkley $20)?

Should I offer this stuff to the Kamara owner? His salary is only $6.

RCarr fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Aug 14, 2018

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Leperflesh posted:

I'm not looking for top 24 though. I'm looking to hit on a guy who ends up top five. How often are those guys undrafted?

Alfalfa
Apr 24, 2003

RCarr posted:

My offer for Barkley fell through, so I'm still not sure what to do with my #2 overall pick, and my draft is Thursday night.

I was offered Alex Collins($2), 2018 3.09, and a 2019 first for it? Thoughts? I'm not big on Collins, but he's super cheap.

My team:

His team:

1QB/2RB/2WR/1TE/3FLEX - 1ppr standard scoring

I'd like to work out something for Hunt or Fournette, but I'm not sure where to begin.

Should I counter with Collins ($2) and Mack ($2), plus the 3.09 and 2019 first rounder?

Should I offer this stuff to the Kamara owner? His salary is only $6.

Does he even have the cap space to take the 1.02 after moving $2-$4?

I'd ask for Burton, Collins, & 2019 1st honestly.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Alfalfa posted:

Does he even have the cap space to take the 1.02 after moving $2-$4?

I'd ask for Burton, Collins, & 2019 1st honestly.

He said he's looking to flip the pick to someone else :shrug:

Do you think that's better than taking one of the top rookie RB's available this year?

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

RCarr posted:

He said he's looking to flip the pick to someone else :shrug:

Do you think that's better than taking one of the top rookie RB's available this year?

My question is why are you in such a hurry? 1.02 this year feels way more valuable than anything you might get next year. I don't like next year's class nearly as much as this year's.

Having did that, I would definitely get Kamara if I could. But Alex Collins isn't a cornerstone piece. Running backs have a very short shelf life.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

I just want a RB who can immediately produce because I have a nice window at a championship right now. Who do you recommend me drafting if I keep my pick this year?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Sataere posted:

I'm not looking for top 24 though. I'm looking to hit on a guy who ends up top five. How often are those guys undrafted?

You're drafting a second TE, and hoping he's top 5? Or, maybe you're saying you're aware TEs are a lottery and just buying two tickets, to increase your odds of hitting that top 5?

How late are you taking that TE2, and still hoping for a top-five hit? What's the opportunity cost of taking that 2nd TE there?

What's the positional scarcity of the TE position, after Gronk and Kelce and I dunno, maybe Ertz? Is your second TE pick really enough better than taking a likely breakout TE in week 2, that it's worth not rostering another WR or RB or even QB lottery ticket?

I feel like we've established this in previous FF threads pretty solidly and I don't see how anything has changed drastically this year.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Leperflesh posted:

You're drafting a second TE, and hoping he's top 5? Or, maybe you're saying you're aware TEs are a lottery and just buying two tickets, to increase your odds of hitting that top 5?

How late are you taking that TE2, and still hoping for a top-five hit? What's the opportunity cost of taking that 2nd TE there?

What's the positional scarcity of the TE position, after Gronk and Kelce and I dunno, maybe Ertz? Is your second TE pick really enough better than taking a likely breakout TE in week 2, that it's worth not rostering another WR or RB or even QB lottery ticket?

I feel like we've established this in previous FF threads pretty solidly and I don't see how anything has changed drastically this year.

I am grabbing two tight ends, hoping one or both are top five players.

To be clear, I'm never grabbing a top three TE at their ADP, unless they drop far. If they do, I'm not taking a second tight end. But that rarely works out. And occasionally, someone I am really high on might fall to the last third of the draft, even after I get a Kelce later than I anticipated.

I have clear rankings of all my positions. If my number ten tight end falls to me and I'm picking between that and my 40th ranked player at another position, I'll take the guy I like.

My goal is to stock up on players who will break out big in the draft. I like upside. I already know that half of my roster will be cut before the season is over, so why waste time worrying about positional value? The waiver wire will plug holes.

I think too many people look at tight end and quarterback and see there is very little difference from top to bottom between the first and twelfth best player, and that makes that spot less of a priority. To me, that makes it more important to get a top guy to exploit that margin.

Edit: And to be clear, it has been established in previous threads. I just have never agreed with it.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Sataere posted:

I think too many people look at tight end and quarterback and see there is very little difference from top to bottom between the first and twelfth best player, and that makes that spot less of a priority. To me, that makes it more important to get a top guy to exploit that margin.

This makes absolutely no sense. It’s the opposite of understanding the concept you are talking about. It’s so wrong it hurts my brain.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

RCarr posted:

This makes absolutely no sense. It’s the opposite of understanding the concept you are talking about. It’s so wrong it hurts my brain.

Probably because I'm not explaining what I'm doing well. I understand the concept and think it's right. Once I get home from work, I'll try to more thoroughly break down my logic. Phone posting is not helping me get my point across.

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe
Arguing about TE draft position, Fantasy Football season is truly upon us!

Tiptoes
Apr 30, 2006

You are my underwater, underwater friends!

Leperflesh posted:

I would argue there are not "several breakout TEs" on waivers. At least not in the "previously unknown TE has breakout year" sense. I feel it's more that the TE rankings themselves get completely reorganized after Week 1/2 to a point that they barely resemble the pre-draft rankings. A lot of "TE6 is actually TE9, TE14 is actually TE7, TE8 is really TE15, TE18 is really TE10" and leagues are forced to adjust accordingly. Like I for one have no confidence in my ability to accurately predict the TE rankings from like TE6 on. There are guys I like at their price points but the range of outcomes for a bunch of them is really wide and most years, there are definitely more positive TE narratives than there are actual useful TEs.

I feel like players targeting late round TEs ought to be accounting for that unpredictability in the draft. I want to take multiple chances at the position and increase my odds at getting above-average TE points especially in the early matchups. If I only take one, miss, and have to react on the waivers, I am doing so at the same time as my leaguemates and could easily wind up in a disadvantageous position. And if it's a FAAB league, I would have to waste actual resources to grab a useful TE. There are definitely sleepers in the double-digit rounds worth taking over a TE2, but if I'm down to my last bench spots, I feel good about the depth I picked up at RB/WR while waiting on TE, and the decision comes down to a TE2 vs. a RB handcuff or some team's #3 WR, I feel like I am better off betting on the TE2, seeing what I have as my TEs after they've played some real football, and then readjusting my bench from there.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
Okay, NOW football is back

https://twitter.com/RotoBaller/status/1029520807712579584

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

He’s in the best shape of his life

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Hell. Yes.

Luck and C-Mike gonna take my NFL team AND my fantasy team to the title.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

So Russell Wilson, Davante Adams & Melvin Gordon are a pretty solid 3 keeper combo (+$5 on salary) no?

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Diet Crack posted:

So Russell Wilson, Davante Adams & Melvin Gordon are a pretty solid 3 keeper combo (+$5 on salary) no?

nope better drop 'em all

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Diet Crack posted:

That depends on your salary cap and their salary after you add $5

darkspider42
Oct 7, 2004

Best Buy security. You'll have to come with me sir.
ATTENTION GOON TIER HAS RETURNED!!!!

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3865947

Please check in ASAP or put interest in the thread for any open slots.

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
What's everyone's favorite dynasty settings? Giving serious consideration to starting one up, I have 9-10 people on board. Don't really have the time and my soon to be wife will kill me. But, dynasty sounds really cool.

Scott Fish Bowl scoring?

Auction seems the way to go for the draft. Then snake like draft for the rookies next year. Do you guys allow people to go over their budget? Fleaflicker tracks things the best? I don't want to have to get Excel out to track stuff.

What's everyone's favorite dynasty league settings/stuff?

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

89 posted:

What's everyone's favorite dynasty settings? Giving serious consideration to starting one up, I have 9-10 people on board. Don't really have the time and my soon to be wife will kill me. But, dynasty sounds really cool.

Scott Fish Bowl scoring?

Auction seems the way to go for the draft. Then snake like draft for the rookies next year. Do you guys allow people to go over their budget? Fleaflicker tracks things the best? I don't want to have to get Excel out to track stuff.

No snake rookie draft, straight NFL style. I like setting draft position by reverse potential points, within each group; non-playoff teams, 1.01 goes to team with fewest potential points, etc, champ gets last pick, championship loser gets 2nd to last pick, rest of playoff teams also in order by potential points. If 10 or 12 teams, superflex is a great way to add more strategy/depth. Don't make benches too crazy deep if no IDP, the wire shouldn't be totally empty. Fleaflicker is honestly pretty great for dynasty, with the main misses being no support for auctions or salary cap leagues. No idea what Scott Fish Bowl settings are, so not sure how different these suggestions are from that.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

89 posted:

Scott Fish Bowl scoring?

Scott Fish Bowl scoring is an interesting idea. I've never done a superflex in dynasty.

After the start up draft, you don't want a snake draft. That is unfair to bad teams. It needs to be NFL style. I like the way Blounts and Fortes does it. Week 16, the non-playoff teams battle each other for draft position. The two worst records battle for the number one pick, then the third and fourth worst teams battle for the third pick. It discourages full on tanking.

MFL is great for dynasty. Fleaflicker might be fine, but it keeps loving up my phone, so I hate it.

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
MFL's mobile app is terrrrrrible. I couldn't look at free agents on the mobile app all Slow Draft season last year. Could only see it by alphabetical order.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

89 posted:

MFL's mobile app is terrrrrrible. I couldn't look at free agents on the mobile app all Slow Draft season last year. Could only see it by alphabetical order.

I didn't promise you good options, just the best one. :v:

dkj
Feb 18, 2009

Sataere posted:

I didn't promise you good options, just the best one. :v:

MFL has a mobile app? I couldn't find it in the play store.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

mama dont let your boys grow up to be rookie running backs

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
I've jumped into the rabbit hole that is Dynasty settings.

I'm thinking CBS might be the best route and just split it among league fees. The CBS app is superior over MFL's poor app. Anyways.

Mostly Fish Bowl scoring system. Maybe IDP with 1 DL, 2 LB, 1 DB.

quote:

1 QB
2 RB
3 WR
2 TE
3 Flex
1 SuperFlex
1 DL
2 LB
1 DB

14 Bench
So, that's 30 players per team? Preferably 12 teams. Maybe 16 teams would be better so half the league doesn't make the playoffs between 4 divisions? Or maybe cut it to 2 divisions with 14 teams? I just don't like half the league making the playoffs. That's too many teams making the playoffs.

If I went with a larger team count, I'd knock off a couple of Flex spots. If it was 16 teams, maybe I would just roll with 1QB / 2RB / 3WR / 2TE / 1 Flex / 1 SuperFlex / 1 DB / 1 DL / 1 LB / 1 IDP Flex

I liked this system somebody talked about on Reddit:

quote:

After the draft you sign players to 5, 3, or 1 year contracts. The league could have a year cap, for instance 50 years. So that way you aren't able to sign everyone to long contracts. At the conclusion of the contract you have the exclusive right to resign the player for a smaller contract. (End of 5 years, you can sign to a 3 or 1 year ; end of 3 year contract you can sign to a 1 year) When 1 year contracts end, players go into free agency. Can't sign a player to an equal or longer contract than he's currently on. Players can be cut, but future years remain against the year cap. The year that the contract is terminated doesn't count against cap. This way there is disincentive to giving a long contract to a questionable player, but managers who take that risk can lock up players for up to 9 years. Also you have the flexibility to stream players without violating the year cap.

I'm just not sure how you could prevent people from signing almost their entire team to 5 year contracts. Also, can CBS keep track of which contracts each player is on?

Then, maybe Rookie players are automatically assigned 4 year deals.

Rookie Draft is NFL style draft. In order of the way teams finished so everyone still fights till the end to be able to draft the best rookie. Worst team gets first pick. Best team gets last pick. Worst team gets first pick of 2nd round, etc. Only 2 or 3 rounds. Considering making the salaries of the higher drafted rookies cost more, but that might be too much.

Free Agency is an auction draft and is exactly what it sounds like. What you have to spend is what you have in your team budget.

$200 Team Budget so research is easier.

Taxi Squads....I haven't gotten that far yet.

I know some of this is basic stuff, I'm just trying to make sure I have it down correctly..

EDIT: Maybe CBS isn't the best. Maybe MFL? But their app is sooooooooooooooooo bad, ugh

89 fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Aug 15, 2018

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

dkj posted:

MFL has a mobile app? I couldn't find it in the play store.

Mfl platinum. Only found through the Amazon App Store.

The MFL site on mobile isnt as bad as it used to be. I run it on desktop mode and just zoom a bunch.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

sourdough posted:

No snake rookie draft, straight NFL style. I like setting draft position by reverse potential points, within each group; non-playoff teams, 1.01 goes to team with fewest potential points, etc, champ gets last pick, championship loser gets 2nd to last pick, rest of playoff teams also in order by potential points.

How do you stop teams from tanking in order to get a better pick?

Edit: Just saw you said fewest potential points.

Spermy Smurf posted:

It's on the IoS app store as well.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Is Sony Michel healthy and practicing now? I can't find any real updates on his knee injury from earlier in the month.

I guess he's my best option at #2 overall if I need a RB that will produce immediately, right?

If I could move that pick for Mixon($21), or Drake ($19), would that be a better option?

RCarr fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Aug 15, 2018

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
I would take a rusty flathead screwdriver to my own finger if it meant not having to rush behind Seattle's O-Line. Takeshi's Castle has nothing on that line in terms of surprise hits.

Drunk Nerds fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Aug 15, 2018

Suave Fedora
Jun 10, 2004

darkspider42 posted:

ATTENTION GOON TIER HAS RETURNED!!!!

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3865947

Please check in ASAP or put interest in the thread for any open slots.

:siren: :woop: :siren:

dkj
Feb 18, 2009

Spermy Smurf posted:

The MFL site on mobile isnt as bad as it used to be. I run it on desktop mode and just zoom a bunch.

Thanks!

Alfalfa
Apr 24, 2003

MFL just released another app with rotowire that is like $2.99 that seems like a pretty good option as well.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/myfantasyleague-manager-2018/id1399765147?mt=8

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Alfalfa posted:

MFL just released another app with rotowire that is like $2.99 that seems like a pretty good option as well.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/myfantasyleague-manager-2018/id1399765147?mt=8

Wait so you have to pay to have a league with them AND pay to use their mobile app on top of that? :lol:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alfalfa
Apr 24, 2003

RCarr posted:

Wait so you have to pay to have a league with them AND pay to use their mobile app on top of that? :lol:

They don't have an official mobile app.

These are created by others which is why they charge.

MFL Platinum is free