Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
They have also replicated the Necron pylon technology to close the warp back up as well. So this rift will only be temporary, and possibly a way to close the entire eye eventually. It'll probably take hundreds of years in both in-game and our own time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways

Mulva posted:

What happened is that the Fall of Cadia and the expansion of the Eye of Terror led to something called the Great Rift. It split across roughly half the galaxy, and it obscured the light of the Astronomican [This is one of the things the 'Nids latch on to, so beyond the devastation of warp space opening up and eating their lunch, and them getting their asses kicked in conventional fights, now they don't have a psychic beacon to follow]. The part on the wrong side of that Rift is known as the Imperium Nihilus, the Dark Imperium. The first thing Guilliman did was launch the Indomitus Crusade to secure as many of those worlds as possible. They made some progress, but there are still vast swaths that are...lets say "In a bad way". You still can't travel as easily, and there's a ton of other stuff he has to deal with, so it's not his first priority anymore. It's ok though, the regent of the Dark Imperium is Dante of the Blood Angels, who is basically metaphysically incapable of being killed. So bonus.
I like that they didn't have their undying psychic cannibal in a chair to be their boss anymore so they decided to put an undying transhuman vampire in charge in his absence.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
so where does this Tau god and black pillar building stuff come from? i ain't never heard of it and I vividly remember goons being wrong about Master of Mankind

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I think the Dark Imperium isn't used for WnG because Games Workshop "gave" them the setting (they just made up a sector to use as a default setting much like FFG did) but more so because it's as good an excuse as any for space marine/eldar buddy cop adventures and other mixed party shenanigans.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

My Genestealer Friend

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013

Blockhouse posted:

I think the Dark Imperium isn't used for WnG because Games Workshop "gave" them the setting (they just made up a sector to use as a default setting much like FFG did) but more so because it's as good an excuse as any for space marine/eldar buddy cop adventures and other mixed party shenanigans.

Basically this. With Chaos waxing as much as it is, it is time for those "come the apocalypse " team ups. Hell, the Necrons came and sided with humans at Cadia, the eldar and their new death God helped bring Rowboat back, and orks are, well orks.

susan
Jan 14, 2013
Equipment question: Kinda unclear how to handle starting gear. Pg 184 seems to imply characters should get a primary and secondary weapon, armor, and tools appropriate for their skills. Is that right? So what should a Skitarri get?

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013

susan posted:

Equipment question: Kinda unclear how to handle starting gear. Pg 184 seems to imply characters should get a primary and secondary weapon, armor, and tools appropriate for their skills. Is that right? So what should a Skitarri get?

I read that to mean if you are departing from the starting archetype gear. Page 134 indicates for the Skitarri they start with a Galvanic rifle and a Skitarii auto-cuirass. Every archetype entry lists their starting gear.

susan
Jan 14, 2013

Werix posted:

I read that to mean if you are departing from the starting archetype gear. Page 134 indicates for the Skitarri they start with a Galvanic rifle and a Skitarii auto-cuirass. Every archetype entry lists their starting gear.

Yeah that was the other way I was reading it, but if that's the case then I do not see anywhere where players can get starting equipment not listed directly on their Archetype? Am I missing something? Do Skitarri start with zero Armor and zero hacking equipment?

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

Pages 182-83 describe wargear options for upgrading and personalization, and page 160 describes acquiring assets (an abstract representation of money), both in exchange for BP. Additionally, tiering up (page 196) gets you 1-2 new items.

To answer your question, Skitarii starting armour has a rating of 3 but no hacking equipment.

Clanpot Shake fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Aug 15, 2018

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

JcDent posted:

so where does this Tau god and black pillar building stuff come from? i ain't never heard of it and I vividly remember goons being wrong about Master of Mankind

New books. The Tau God is in War of Secrets, while the piller building is from Dark Imperium.

Foglet
Jun 17, 2014

Reality is an illusion.
The universe is a hologram.
Buy gold.
Okay, I got the core WnG pdf, and now somebody please explain to me how anyone could possibly have thought that including a Primaris to the selection of playable characters over an Arbitrator was a good idea. Also, when will I be getting my Adeptus Arbites book.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.

Foglet posted:

Okay, I got the core WnG pdf, and now somebody please explain to me how anyone could possibly have thought that including a Primaris to the selection of playable characters over an Arbitrator was a good idea. Also, when will I be getting my Adeptus Arbites book.

Just off the top of my head, their reasoning was probably "We need an example for tier 4 PCs" and the Primaris filled that niche where an Arbites wouldn't.

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013

unseenlibrarian posted:

Just off the top of my head, their reasoning was probably "We need an example for tier 4 PCs" and the Primaris filled that niche where an Arbites wouldn't.

Also probably GW indicating they just added these things to the product line and want players to play as one. The Skitari feel kind of the same way, since the mechanicum forces were way overhauled relatively recently. They also made sure to include some genestealers in the adversary section, which GW recently overhauled in the last year or so, I think.

susan
Jan 14, 2013

Foglet posted:

If I have a major complaint about W&G it's that it does feel very thin next to the FFG starter books, but of course that makes total sense since they needed to squeeze five lines into a single book. This is a system made for untold expansions.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

So wait, is this out and available? Where can I get it? Or are you guys talking about like a quickstart teaser type thing?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Pharmaskittle posted:

So wait, is this out and available? Where can I get it? Or are you guys talking about like a quickstart teaser type thing?

Those who pre-ordered it have it. It'll be released to DTRPG and the like very soon.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

unseenlibrarian posted:

I'll jump on the conspiracy train and say that Intercessors were included because GW told them to do so. Intercessors are the worst Primaris since Hellblasters are identical to them, but have a better gun, and there's really no downside to stacking up on them in TT. So Intercessors aren't too popular, since a squad that's armed only with bolters is boring both conceptually and in practice.

Enter loving WnG, where the Primaris write up does its darnest to say that Primaris Intercessors are actually really cool, that not giving a unit any way to deal with heavier targets is great tactics (Intercessors can always ask for support!), and also their bolters are so much better, as well as their armor, and so on, and so forth. I think it even says that Girlyman made them monoweapon because his wisdom exceeds/predates Codex Astartes... which he wrote himself back in the day.

It's a shitfest, but such are the Primarines.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
The really funny thing about Primaris being “locked into” certain gear choices is that, as far as I can tell, there’s nothing restricting items between Astartes and humans the way there was in FFG. A boltgun that’s starting gear for a Ratling can be passed to an Astartes or Primaris and it will be handles exactly the same. So there’s no reason why a Primaris can’t use a flamer or a multi-melta.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

JcDent posted:

I'll jump on the conspiracy train and say that Intercessors were included because GW told them to do so. Intercessors are the worst Primaris since Hellblasters are identical to them, but have a better gun, and there's really no downside to stacking up on them in TT. So Intercessors aren't too popular, since a squad that's armed only with bolters is boring both conceptually and in practice.

Enter loving WnG, where the Primaris write up does its darnest to say that Primaris Intercessors are actually really cool, that not giving a unit any way to deal with heavier targets is great tactics (Intercessors can always ask for support!), and also their bolters are so much better, as well as their armor, and so on, and so forth. I think it even says that Girlyman made them monoweapon because his wisdom exceeds/predates Codex Astartes... which he wrote himself back in the day.

It's a shitfest, but such are the Primarines.

I really enjoy how wrong you are here.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

The Imperium holding the tenth iteration of "No guys, these are the actually best marines" in stasis for 10,000 years is galaxy brain-tier 40k writing. Introducing the new Primarch Buddy Space Marine.

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013

PantsOptional posted:

The really funny thing about Primaris being “locked into” certain gear choices is that, as far as I can tell, there’s nothing restricting items between Astartes and humans the way there was in FFG. A boltgun that’s starting gear for a Ratling can be passed to an Astartes or Primaris and it will be handles exactly the same. So there’s no reason why a Primaris can’t use a flamer or a multi-melta.

Yeah, I'd have to look closer on maybe if keywords limit stuff, but so far I don't even recall seeing weapon training and proficiency stuff. I think anyone can use anything.

Which I'm totally cool with, weapon proficiency talents are dumb as hell and I told myself in the future any game I'd run with them I'd just house rules the talent increases reload speed for that gun or something.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

As far as I can tell the effects of keyword are to unlock talents and other abilities (like with the Psyker keyword), to determine who can interact with threatening tasks, to add to Influence checks made to demand obedience, and to add to Influence checks to obtain items. If there’s a part where it talks about keywords limiting use of items I definitely want to know about that.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Sodomy Hussein posted:

The Imperium holding the tenth iteration of "No guys, these are the actually best marines" in stasis for 10,000 years is galaxy brain-tier 40k writing. Introducing the new Primarch Buddy Space Marine.

Don't let me get started about the Beast books, which is the closest you can get to touching universe brain.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Rigid thinking is basically the Primaris Marines' downside. They won't change weapons, get in the wrong vehicle, adopt new tactics, or adapt.

They're dinosaur marines locked in tradition. Grogmarines.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

moths posted:

Rigid thinking is basically the Primaris Marines' downside. They won't change weapons, get in the wrong vehicle, adopt new tactics, or adapt.

They're dinosaur marines locked in tradition. Grogmarines.

Ultramarines.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Yet the WnG book portrays that as an undoubtedly good thing.

At least you can avoid that by always playing a guardsman, though the fact that you need to take the special weapon gunner trait to start out with a combat shotgun is a little silly.

Ramba Ral
Feb 18, 2009

"The basis of the Juche Idea is that man is the master of all things and the decisive factor in everything."
- Kim Il-Sung

Cythereal posted:

Ultramarines.

Kitten should've told them to pull the plug.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

You work with the Primarch you have at hand. And since they only had a hand left out of Dorn, they turned to the next most intact one.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

We're going to bring in some "corrected" Blood Angels and Space Wolves, guys. This is has never gone wrong before.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Sodomy Hussein posted:

I don't know, the idea of possibly the craziest Tech-Priest that has ever existed, who has the least claim of any member of the AdMech of being called human, possessing the sum totality of all genetic information on the Space Marines? That's just hilarious. Like Guilliman told him not to use the traitor Primarchs genetic information to make some of them knowing full well he almost certainly was not going to listen. Which is good, because Cawl totally used their information. Besides which the Custodes can kick all their asses and aren't any form of Space Marine. It doesn't really matter who fights for second place, they are still first loser.

e: I mean come on, how can this not end badly? It's great!

Mulva fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Aug 15, 2018

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

*Primaris Space Marines immediately join the Flawless Host*

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
"Turns out, the Black Rage is a feature, not a bug - here come the Eversor Marines!"

Edit
Or they just go back and start making freakish Thunder Warriors again.
And change the name to Rogue Trader: Ninth Edition

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

Weird moment earlier today when one of my players (notorious for going through several character options before settling on any) asked me if it was possible to play an Ogryn who had undergone Tempestus Scion training.

The way the rules are written, it’s impossible for a Ratling or Ogryn to play any archetype, so clearly it’s all at GM discretion. The more I think about it the better it sounds.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Well there's no rule saying a dog can't train with the Tempestus!

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
One of the big flaws with the Primaris Marines is because of their training and teachings. They kind of have difficulty fitting into already established chapters.

Sodomy Hussein posted:

This is not actually the case. Cawl actually took several thousand years to finish them after Guilliman contracted him for the work. Then he worked on a device that took a long time to help revive Guilliman so he could get approval to bring them out.

Foglet
Jun 17, 2014

Reality is an illusion.
Buy gold.

MonsterEnvy posted:

This is not actually the case. Cawl actually took several thousand years to finish them after Guilliman contracted him for the work. Then he worked on a device that took a long time to help revive Guilliman so he could get approval to bring them out.
Imagine the hilarity of a completed project you're unable to deliver that probably would ensue if the revival failed.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Foglet posted:

Imagine the hilarity of a completed project you're unable to deliver that probably would ensue if the revival failed.

It's why he was willing to work with an Eldar Witch on it.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

PantsOptional posted:

Weird moment earlier today when one of my players (notorious for going through several character options before settling on any) asked me if it was possible to play an Ogryn who had undergone Tempestus Scion training.

The way the rules are written, it’s impossible for a Ratling or Ogryn to play any archetype, so clearly it’s all at GM discretion. The more I think about it the better it sounds.

Ogryns are really too stupid for spec-ops training, but, well, I haven't been officially instated as the Fun Police, so you do you.

MonsterEnvy posted:

Ya, it's that. He also took the time to make the Repulsor (GI Joe flying land raider), the fat belly dread and so on.

I'd probably dislike primaris less if they had gone with MK II or MK III helmet instead of MK IV, my least favorite Mark, but MK VII is already the iconic Ye Smoll Marine look while MK II and MK III are clearly For Heresy Products only.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foglet
Jun 17, 2014

Reality is an illusion.
Buy gold.

MonsterEnvy posted:

It's why he was willing to work with an Eldar Witch on it.
Eh, not feeling much for "(gasp) an ELDAR was involved!"
I mean, even in the grim darkness of the far future there are degrees of potential for cooperation. The Eldar can be on-again off-again allies, "somewhat dickish" being pretty low on the scale.
Imagine the hilarity of "I went so far as to get an ORK MAD DOK to bring you back!"
Imagine the hilarity of this failing.
Imagine the hilarity of this succeeding.