Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

STR posted:

Truck, OTOH, is gonna need a little love.
Right in the fills

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

STR posted:

Don't make left turns from right turn lanes, people! :argh:

Keep Austin Weird

Mr-Spain
Aug 27, 2003

Bullshit... you can be mine.

Dagen H posted:

Keep Austin Weird

That's on him? Shouldn't be a claim on your insurance. Also fuuuuuuuuck Austin traffic!

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

I'll take Austin traffic over DFW traffic any loving day. Except for 35. Goddamn I'm glad I don't live near 35, most of my highway driving is on 183 and Mopac.

And it wouldn't be a claim on my insurance, but it would still show on my claims history report as a not at fault collision paid out by the other person's insurance. Which could still gently caress me on my rates.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.
Crossposting from my offgrid farming thread, my drivers side window refused to go up, then dropped in the frame (out in a field, during a rainstorm, miles from home), so that means finding out whats wrong with part-

8E0 837 462B

Well the car needed a part and I needed not to pay labour charges so if I have to look at the insides of a car door for a bit so can you.

While I give it the finger lots, its the third kind of car door I ever had to gently caress with and by far my favourite- it all went apart and all came back together without issues and I only had 3 bits left over. There were a lot of bits though.

The old one was really hosed- cable had rusted away on one end and spooled up inside the regulator.

I had to take everything out of the door including the window motor and speaker, and haul the entire top section of the door off to get to the broken regulator properly.

Luckily the motor didnt get chewed up much at all, seems to work fine and it all took a touch over 2 hours start to finish- the guide I followed said 5. Will probably have to do the passenger side soon enough. I forgot a finished pic, but the door looked factory perfect again, honest- double sided foam tape is magical :dance:

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:
It saw my Mercedes window regulator broke and decided to follow suit...

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
What car is that one?

I took my front brake calipers off, roughed up the old pads with 80 grit and the rotors with emery cloth tape, then silicon lubed the sliders and put some copper anti seize on the back of the pot and pads.
The old pads are like never used and were decent bendix ones which is all I could buy locally anyway.

I tried to rebed the brakes and it seemed to make a difference. Not much as it won't lock up a wheel or activate the ABS or anything, so it's not setting the world alight in braking performance but I think it's a little better, ie like it pulls up from 90km/hr a lot better than it used to if I press real hard on the brakes (started out horrible on the first test stop), but it needs more pressure than I think it should for medium stopping power. I might replace front hoses and reflush again after I actually replace rear hoses, rotors and pads (rear hoses and pads delivered already, just waiting on rear rotors.)

I have no idea why PO had silicone gasket type glue on one of the pads shoulders to bond it to the carrier! The sliders were pretty dry as well.

E: Anyway, that's pretty boring; the funny part is my 5y/o kid was out when I started the job and he came home suprised to see wheels off and me working on it. I asked him if he wanted to help and he just replied "You broke it. You fix it" and walked inside.
So much for bonding, mech interest over cars :eng99:

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 10:23 on Aug 12, 2018

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:

Fo3 posted:

What car is that one?
84 300td. A new regulator costs as much as a TIG welder... I could use a TIG to weld teeth blobs and file them into new teeth. Sadly I don't have the money for that at the moment, so it's hand assist (twss)

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
From the look of it you could probably 3D print a gear that would work better. :v:

What the absolute gently caress, Mercedes. That's a thick-rear end gear.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

That looks a lot like a roller chain sprocket. As in, it's so close that if you can get close enough to the pitch it might not be a crazy idea to get a plain A-plate and try it. Not saying it'll work, but it might.

Autoexec.bat
Dec 29, 2012

Just one more level
I've been working on redoing my Golf's engine for a while now and figured I was far enough along to share some pictures. I'm currently digging into the transmission which worked but leaked like a sieve. I was originally going to have someone else do it but no one wanted to touch it due to age and rarity.

I'm upgrading the car from the original 1.8l VW RV engine to a 2.0l ABA block with brand new 1.8l head, this required more extra parts than I thought at first. The old block didn't hold proper oil pressure and the old head ticked like crazy.

And here's the new assembled block. The paint came off the valve cover when it was cleaned so it got sprayed to match the car. I need to get the transmission reattached to confirm the timing is right but otherwise it's ready to go.

Here's the engine bay mostly ready to go but still pretty grimy.

This has been a few months coming since I am doing this mostly alone when I can and I've never changed an engine before.

Dennis McClaren
Mar 28, 2007

"Hey, don't put capture a guy!"
...Well I've got to put something!
That's pretty impressive Golf work. Wish I could even begin to approach a job like that.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Changed the transmission fluid. No pics, largely because I started late in the evening and poo poo got dark pretty quick. Dropped the pan and coaxed about 5 or 6 quarts of dirty fluid out, but I couldn't get my ratchet socket to reach the 4T80E's super-secret drain plug to coax the last 2 or 3 quarts out. I really need to invest in some good ramps and a nice creeper for poo poo like this.

MasonF
Aug 22, 2005

these bitches r kicking me?wow wook wookfuk u

Stole the 87+ side skirts from my parts car, looks so much better with those on there.
Also cleaned up my gauge cluster a bit, removed the auto trans mode lights gauge thing and replaced it with the voltmeter, and applied a really sweet HKS sticker.
Donor car:

Before:

After:

Gauge cluster before (the plastic face is removed):

After:

Next up is pulling the engine out of the parts car...

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Love the SUPER CHARGER LED. When does it come on, when there's any boost at all?

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

Jesus that looks great.

Dennis McClaren
Mar 28, 2007

"Hey, don't put capture a guy!"
...Well I've got to put something!

Hypnolobster posted:

Jesus that looks great.

Your Black MR2 is loving sick man. Awesome.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
A super rad AW11 and an 850R? I'm supremely jealous. Nice work.

MasonF
Aug 22, 2005

opengl128 posted:

Love the SUPER CHARGER LED. When does it come on, when there's any boost at all?
It comes on whenever the clutch is engaged on the Supercharger, usually around 1/3-1/2 throttle.

Terrible Robot posted:

A super rad AW11 and an 850R? I'm supremely jealous. Nice work.
Well, I'm selling the 850R to feed my Toyota addiction, if you know anyone in the market to buy it... :shepspends:

Dennis McClaren posted:

Your Black MR2 is loving sick man. Awesome.
Thanks!

Mr-Spain
Aug 27, 2003

Bullshit... you can be mine.

MasonF posted:

It comes on whenever the clutch is engaged on the Supercharger, usually around 1/3-1/2 throttle.

Well, I'm selling the 850R to feed my Toyota addiction, if you know anyone in the market to buy it... :shepspends:

Thanks!

When you post it link some pictures that looks great.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Got in the S2000 last night after having not driven it in about a month... realized I could drat near release the clutch with the brakes on and not stall the car, despite it not slipping under load so I decided it was time rather than deal with it this season. I'll be putting in my spare transmission at the same time, then replacing 3rd and 4th gear synchros in the stock box.

171k on the stock clutch

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Oof. i'm used to $80 clutches for ACVWs and Subarus.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch
Put a Focus RS airbox in my ST. The stock airbox lid is solid and you can't hear the turbo do anything. Now I make obnoxious turbo noises. Apparently some people just take the airbox lid off and suck in that amazingly hot engine bay air. Some people are idiots.

I stole the picture off GIS, but who cares they're all the same. Ask me about driving what is basically a Focus RS at this point.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

Oof. i'm used to $80 clutches for ACVWs and Subarus.

yeaaaaaa... could be worse. Pressure plate is me planning ahead, otherwise I could have reused the one in it. The goddamn OEM release bearing price is the one that gets me.

MasonF
Aug 22, 2005

BlackMK4 posted:

Got in the S2000 last night after having not driven it in about a month... realized I could drat near release the clutch with the brakes on and not stall the car, despite it not slipping under load so I decided it was time rather than deal with it this season. I'll be putting in my spare transmission at the same time, then replacing 3rd and 4th gear synchros in the stock box.

171k on the stock clutch

That's not that bad. I've had to deal with finding 4A-GE/4A-GZE clutches. They get pricey.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
ACT has a really strict minimum advertised price policy, so you won't find much of a deal of them just browsing various websites. But, if you get ahold of a dealer, like me for example, you can generally get a bit of a discount.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
You could do what I did and mail your original off to be rebuilt and they’ll do a bad job, so you send it somewhere else to be rebuilt properly. At 200 per build plus $60 in shipping each ride.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

StormDrain posted:

You could do what I did and mail your original off to be rebuilt and they’ll do a bad job, so you send it somewhere else to be rebuilt properly. At 200 per build plus $60 in shipping each ride.

Solid financial advice ITT

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

jamal posted:

ACT has a really strict minimum advertised price policy, so you won't find much of a deal of them just browsing various websites. But, if you get ahold of a dealer, like me for example, you can generally get a bit of a discount.

I feel bad bothering you for discounts, but if you don't mind or want that then... well, thank you.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire

BlackMK4 posted:

I feel bad bothering you for discounts, but if you don't mind or want that then... well, thank you.

Yeah please do. For the most part I can beat or match most prices and still make a few bucks.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

MasonF posted:

Stole the 87+ side skirts from my parts car, looks so much better with those on there.
Also cleaned up my gauge cluster a bit, removed the auto trans mode lights gauge thing and replaced it with the voltmeter, and applied a really sweet HKS sticker.
Donor car:

Before:

After:

Gauge cluster before (the plastic face is removed):

After:

Next up is pulling the engine out of the parts car...

Are you in Vegas? I think my mom lived next to you for years!

Kidding of course; it just seems like every MR2 owner has two.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

jamal posted:

Yeah please do. For the most part I can beat or match most prices and still make a few bucks.

Thank you :) I appreciate it.

MasonF
Aug 22, 2005

Wasabi the J posted:

Are you in Vegas? I think my mom lived next to you for years!

Kidding of course; it just seems like every MR2 owner has two.
I actually have 3 :colbert:

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Got out the shiny-up sauce and made stuff more shinier

Some of the bars were pretty nasty.

50/50

complete

This is real 46 year old chrome, facing bugs and rock chips and road salt. Put on by real men who lived to 33 but died happy knowing the chrome they applied would shine on for their grandchildren to see. May they ride eternal, shiny and chrome.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Disappointed that it’s not wood-grain any more.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

That stuff probably would have come off the first time i washed it.

I might wrap it in an actual automotive vinyl at one point, but for the time being it's fuckin shiny

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

It’s definitely that. From back when they threw some nice thick triple layers on there.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

every car should have a dataplate under the hood listing fluid capacities

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I wonder if that ceramic coating poo poo detailers put on would help protect the chrome from getting gross.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Big Q's House of Pancakes

Fun Shoe

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I wonder if that ceramic coating poo poo detailers put on would help protect the chrome from getting gross.

My dad used to use wenol and claimed it kept the chrome on his bike looking good.