Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

Hunt: Showdown - DOGGIES!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

Hunt: Showdown: HMM HMMM HMMM HMMMMM

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

Pharmaskittle posted:

Hunt: Showdown: HMM HMMM HMMM HMMMMM

????

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eTeg1txDv8w

Roumba
Jun 29, 2005
Buglord
Hunt: Showdown - Hmmm mmm *flicks dynamite stick at u*

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

Roumba posted:

Lol hell yes

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004
Had a string of games yesterday where I got owned, sometimes through bad luck, sometimes through my own dumb fault.

In the second to last, I was downed and insta-burned after downing and burning someone else. My partner couldn't get to me in time, and I died. Oh well.

Just out of curiosity, I stuck around to see who won- and then the enemy Hunter started talking to him. They had a little back and forth, "Oh, I didn't burn your buddy. Why'd you have to burn mine?"

"Hey man, go burn him, I don't give a poo poo."

After a few minutes of this, the enemy suggested he just take the downed bounty and leave, asking if he was going to go after the boss being banished just to the north. He said he was. The enemy Hunter floated the idea of a partnership, and my partner accepted. Cautiously, they both came out of cover, then hashed out a quick plan to attack the Healing Waters Church.

Literally the second the enemy Hunter turned around to run, he shot him in the back from five feet away with a Spectre. :allears:

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

Had a string of games yesterday where I got owned, sometimes through bad luck, sometimes through my own dumb fault.

In the second to last, I was downed and insta-burned after downing and burning someone else. My partner couldn't get to me in time, and I died. Oh well.

Just out of curiosity, I stuck around to see who won- and then the enemy Hunter started talking to him. They had a little back and forth, "Oh, I didn't burn your buddy. Why'd you have to burn mine?"

"Hey man, go burn him, I don't give a poo poo."

After a few minutes of this, the enemy suggested he just take the downed bounty and leave, asking if he was going to go after the boss being banished just to the north. He said he was. The enemy Hunter floated the idea of a partnership, and my partner accepted. Cautiously, they both came out of cover, then hashed out a quick plan to attack the Healing Waters Church.

Literally the second the enemy Hunter turned around to run, he shot him in the back from five feet away with a Spectre. :allears:

:yeshaha:

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Ended breaking my "gently caress early access" rule and bought this game after being peer pressured by friends I introduced it to during the free weekend. And also because I like it a lot. Looking at the roadmap, my one cause for concern is that they're planning on introducing a crafting system. Is there any info on this yet?

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

Roumba posted:

Hunt: Showdown - Hmm Hmmm Hmmm mmmm *flicks dynamite stick at u*

Mods, if you would be so kind.

Tinfoil Papercut fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Aug 14, 2018

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

Mordja posted:

Ended breaking my "gently caress early access" rule and bought this game after being peer pressured by friends I introduced it to during the free weekend. And also because I like it a lot. Looking at the roadmap, my one cause for concern is that they're planning on introducing a crafting system. Is there any info on this yet?

Not anything concrete, I assume it's just generic components so you can turn your regular weapons into different versions of them which would otherwise cost money. (i.e. add bayonet, scope, etc.)

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

This is the only reason i'd get this game, tbh.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

Hunt: Showdown - Hmm Hmmm Hmmm mmmm *flicks dynamite stick at you*

Mods, if you would be so kind.

It's extremely important that it's "u"

Also lol just lol at the idea of ever trusting anyone in this game. I think some throwaway bit of lore even says "everybody but you and your partner are demon possessed so don't feel bad about killing them"

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

Pharmaskittle posted:

It's extremely important that it's "u"

Also lol just lol at the idea of ever trusting anyone in this game. I think some throwaway bit of lore even says "everybody but you and your partner are demon possessed so don't feel bad about killing them"

fixed.

"Those drat demon hunters running around with their satanic powers!" *Check darksight* Clue's that'a way.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

dogstile posted:

This is the only reason i'd get this game, tbh.

I had another, similar story.

I had a game where I got my favorite kind of partner; someone with a microphone who loved to talk. He was chill as hell, sounding kind of like discount Steve Blum, and we just went back and forth the entire time we were walking around the bush. We missed one bounty, but another was downed halfway across the map, and we legged it through the foggy swamp in pursuit.

The boss had spawned in that one tall, central building at Alain & Sons, and as we approached, we heard the enemy team on local VOIP. They were very excited, anxious, and knew we were there. As we approached the building, they spotted us, and we started shooting at them.

At the same time, a team that had been lurking on the north side starting shooting at us, and a team on the south side decided to join in the fun. Me and my partner took cover in the railroad tracks that ran alongside the building, too close for the people inside to really shoot at us, and too far for the others to line up a shot without exposing themselves to the people in the building. Everyone was shooting at everyone, explosives going back and forth, the people in the building screaming and laughing about how hosed they were.

It was great.

After a few minutes, my bounty buddy started engaging the dudes in the building, talking to them. They really liked him, and I can't blame them. Dude was smooth and confident as hell, just chatting away. One of them floated the idea of letting us in and splitting the bounty. His partner was hesitant, but becoming convinced.

There was a lull in the gunfire.

I took a chance and climbed up a ladder leading to a second story window, relying on the fog for cover. It held long enough for me to sneak up and in, where I scooted around a rusted mill and hid off to the side. My partner was still talking to them, but I hadn't said a single word the entire fight. One came upstairs to check the window I just crawled through, then the other, both standing right next to each other.

I slid out on their right and downed the first one with a shotgun blast to the back. His partner, the one that had been brokering the truce, turned, looked at me, and let out this incredible, betrayed GASP!

Then I shot him in the chest.

When my partner came running in, he said, "I figured out what you were going to do, wanted to keep them distracted for you."

Afterwards, one of them messaged me on Steam thinking I was him, telling me how much fun that was. I forwarded my partner's info on to him ( with his permission ) and everyone friended each other on Steam. :v:

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
All these cool stories strike me as happening in the sub Rank-30 games.

Every one of my games i stocked with silent Discord serial killers.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

get hosed 5 games in a row because i cant hit the broadside of a barn - "gently caress this game forever"

Next game: https://streamable.com/rkzfe

"man I love this game"

Basticle fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Aug 14, 2018

Zasze
Apr 29, 2009

Basticle posted:

get hosed 5 games in a row because i cant hit the broadside of a barn - "gently caress this game forever"

Next game: https://streamable.com/rkzfe

"man I love this game"

The eternal cycle is alternating between winning and losing streaks.

I recently had a full stable of level 30+ hunters loaded with good perks went to 0 dudes from some bad games and now boom back at a full roster again of perked out dudes.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
New thread title! :thanks:

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

:stare: https://streamable.com/5lg66

my hands were literally shaking after this

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames

Basticle posted:

:stare: https://streamable.com/5lg66

my hands were literally shaking after this

You can loot dead hunters?

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Bogart posted:

You can loot dead hunters?

Ya, sometimes you get money and some times you get tools or consumables or ammo.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004
You can loot'em, and.. sometimes you get medkits you can't use, seven fusees that don't work, and other fun things. And God help you if you down someone in a busy fight during a night map or in water, because finding them again is a pain in the rear end.

Also I just had my... seventh? Bullshit Hive death. Set up on the Slaughterhouse, poking a team inside. Someone shoots at me with a Sparks. I duck back, heal, and... a Hive that's been standing quietly on its grate fort for five minutes and did not aggro at all when I was SHOOTING, decided to attack me. While I was bandaging.

My partner got me back up, and we killed the Hive, only we aggro'ed the Hive without LOS behind the cage the first one was standing on. So it killed us both while we were trying to run around the corner to shoot it.

Every single Hive death I have is because I aggro'd one through a wall or some dumb poo poo like that and couldn't do anything.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Monsters act dumb as gently caress in this game and it's bad.

They have an aggro distance but they don't attack the closet person. They'll just attack whoever, whenever they want. You can annoy a zombie, he'll come shambling after you but then literally the last second he'll decide to go try and fight some other guy further away than you. As a result he doesn't damage the guy it's angry at or the other target it suddenly wants who was too far away to be an actual threat anyway.

Likewise, a Hive should go aggro on the dude who just set her off by walking near her. Instead she'll turn your way and send a swarm on you because you're over by the barn a few yards that way and not literally 4 feet away from her. That's her favorite barn, you see. Nobody is allowed in there but her.

Sard
May 11, 2012

Certified Poster of Culture.

AndyElusive posted:

Monsters act dumb as gently caress in this game and it's bad.

Undead hell-plague swamp people are probably not big thinkers.

A friend pissed off a dog though and then instead of chasing him it immediately diverted to maul me as I tried to stop it, so that seemed good.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Ya know what? Fair enough.

ErectorBeast
Sep 19, 2010

"I do not fear death, in view of the fact that I had been dead for billions and billions of years before I was born, and had not suffered the slightest inconvenience from it."
Looking for duos partners to saddle up with in this adorable game. Just add ErectorBeast on Steam.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

AndyElusive posted:

Ya, sometimes you get money and some times you get tools or consumables or ammo.

If your ammo is full they'll only give you the better stuff so make sure to refill before looting them.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
I think Hives are a little overcooked at the moment, yeah. Especially for a beginning player who's too gunshy to buy an antidote.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

Bogart posted:

I think Hives are a little overcooked at the moment, yeah. Especially for a beginning player who's too gunshy to buy an antidote.

You shouldn't be aggro'ing anything you don't absolutely have to (clue guards). I don't think I've ever brought an antidote shot into a game, unless it was a default loadout and I was too lazy to change.

The best way to deal with hives is to either pack a silenced pistol or sneak up on her then charge with a melee weapon. Two knife plunges will take her down, you just have to deal with the poison for a few seconds after. The stronger melee weapons like romero hatchet, bayonets, sabre, and machete, you can take her out without getting poisoned at all.

I don't mind leaving hives up, especially around a boss area as they serve as "guards" to zone out possible entry points, same with armoreds.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
So I've been having good success with the Mosin Sniper loadout and running solo.

Last night I got into a gauntlet match (daytime) and grab the first clue. I then rush toward the Healing Waters church because that steeple is amazing.

After looking around for a few minutes some dude starts creeping into the church courtyard on the south side. Easy pickings. His buddy pops out and runs back south, I manage to feather him once before he dances into the bushes back toward ranch. I burn his buddy and loot 50 bucks.

It's at this point I realize that the spider is located underneath the church and that my position might not be the best considering 7 players might converge there at some point.

I move out to the east where there's one of those little sniper towers south of Stillwater, directly adjacent to a resupply caravan. About 2 minutes later I spot the guy who's friend I burned slowly creeping around the east side of the church wall, glancing up at the steeple. The poor bastard.

I can hear a firefight going on at Reeker through all of this. Butcher starts banishing there.

By now the butcher has been banished and the guys who were there are B-lining for church. I spot them at extreme range and get a couple of shots off (no kills). They take cover in the structure north of the church which has the kennel / clue sometimes. I can see one dude's head through the mesh window and pop it. He got picked up and they suddenly decide that extracting to the far west is actually what they wanted to do.

I waited a while longer after they extracted then I took a trip up to reeker. I find three dead hunters and manage to loot some more cash. This also means I am likely the last person on the map and head back to kill the spider without issue.

Argila
Oct 23, 2008
I am so sad to be missing the free weekend newbies and papercut lining up shots >5 yards. Vacation sucks.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
Being shot in the hand with a nitro really stings. Sad for him that he chose to climb that ladder we were watching afterwards. :clint:

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Last night I got totally owned and called a stoopid bro by a bro who shot me while I could hear him talking to his bro because I lost track of where he was and voice communication doesn't seem as directional as other sounds do.

I'm just above 3k in gold only and running out fast. So these solo jaunts of mine have been pretty unsuccessful for me lately. A few more experiences like the one I mentioned and I might just give up this game for good since I'm pretty bad atm.

Is the goon discord active enough to go looking for hillbilly partners in on the regular?

I'm weird in that I don't really want to go to the official Hunt discord and LFG's or even play duos with randoms.

AbsoluteLlama
Aug 15, 2009

By the power vested in me by random musings in tmt... I proclaim you guilty of crustophilia!

AndyElusive posted:

Last night I got totally owned and called a stoopid bro by a bro who shot me while I could hear him talking to his bro because I lost track of where he was and voice communication doesn't seem as directional as other sounds do.

I'm just above 3k in gold only and running out fast. So these solo jaunts of mine have been pretty unsuccessful for me lately. A few more experiences like the one I mentioned and I might just give up this game for good since I'm pretty bad atm.

Is the goon discord active enough to go looking for hillbilly partners in on the regular?

I'm weird in that I don't really want to go to the official Hunt discord and LFG's or even play duos with randoms.

The official discord is quite active and easy to find another person. I also have a lot of luck asking matchmaking partners to 'join voice chat #X'. I'd say 50/50.

You could also use the in-game chat it can be fun even if everyone can hear.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

My nightly round was going great - killed some monsters, got 2 of 3 clues, found the lair first, and caught two other hunters shooting at each other and finished off the survivor. Once the map narrowed down to the spider's location I decided with low health I'd sneak out and extract with my winnings, as I likely wouldn't survive even a grazing shot from anyone/anything.

Cue two hellhounds that managed to see me sneaking through the brush from (what I thought was) a safe distance. :downsgun:

TheAnomaly
Feb 20, 2003

a mysterious cloak posted:

My nightly round was going great - killed some monsters, got 2 of 3 clues, found the lair first, and caught two other hunters shooting at each other and finished off the survivor. Once the map narrowed down to the spider's location I decided with low health I'd sneak out and extract with my winnings, as I likely wouldn't survive even a grazing shot from anyone/anything.

Cue two hellhounds that managed to see me sneaking through the brush from (what I thought was) a safe distance. :downsgun:

I was having a pretty ok game with a rando - got all three clues without either of us firing a shot or losing health, making good time towards the location, everything going great, turn a corner into 5 of those fuckers. We got lair credit, but heard shots approaching from the distance and booked it because dogs gently caress you up.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

I love this game https://streamable.com/y5nuy

revolther
May 27, 2008
It's cool that goons are finally getting into this game. I secretly hope the game will get some of the content from the original steampunk/victorian development cycle as Hunt: Monsters of the Gilded Age. I've had a ton of fun with the limited weather and scenarios but it would be cool to see some new monsters and a new map.

Video from 2014 when it was 3rd person co-op shooter with a cool witch/ghost boss. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ogU9OBIVtrs

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

revolther posted:

It's cool that goons are finally getting into this game. I secretly hope the game will get some of the content from the original steampunk/victorian development cycle as Hunt: Monsters of the Gilded Age. I've had a ton of fun with the limited weather and scenarios but it would be cool to see some new monsters and a new map.

Video from 2014 when it was 3rd person co-op shooter with a cool witch/ghost boss. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ogU9OBIVtrs

Neat-o.

I would love to see a possessed hunter boss who has a pistol that he can use for a powerful hit, or lunges at your with his other arm which is a tentacle, claw, or big block of meat ala Prototype. Bonus points to CryTek if he has a cowboy hat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

AndyElusive posted:

For what it is worth, I didn't really want to play with randoms either for a time, but then started doing that. Sometimes they suck, but sometimes you meet some decent people. If you get really discouraged, you can always try taking a little vacation until solo mode is added, or only play tiny budget build Hunters for a while.