Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
avoid doorways
Jun 6, 2010

'twas brillig
Gun Saliva
Let's Go comes out a couple of weeks before Smash. They probably could have spaced those out better :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Yeah they could have gotten rid of Smash.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Oh great, yet another anime game.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Will Monster Hunter Ultimate have voice chat? Did the Japanese version?

antidote
Jun 15, 2005

The voice chat in Fortnite is cool and makes me wonder why Nintendo ever pulled that phone app nonsense.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

antidote posted:

The voice chat in Fortnite is cool and makes me wonder why Nintendo ever pulled that phone app nonsense.

I don’t understand it either. The voice chat solution was loving better on Wii U than the dumb app.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

DLC Inc posted:

lol jesus https://www.destructoid.com/sega-boss-says-he-pitched-yakuza-to-nintendo-and-microsoft-who-didn-t-want-it--518293.phtml

Yakuza on Switch/Xbox:

"...his now massively-successful series was only accepted with open arms by Sony: "I've never said this before, but while we released this game with Sony, I'd done presentations about it to Microsoft and Nintendo. Back then they said "No we don't want it." Now they say, "We want it!" (laughs) They didn't understand the reason why I created it."

Why wouldn't Nintendo or Sega want the games on their consoles?

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Policenaut posted:

Bring back Sega Bass Fishing

There are at least 20 games from that era that would sell at least 100k copies on digital platforms. Powerstone, maybe not, but Skies of Arcadia is one of the greatest jrpgs of its generation and its general type, pirates/rogues, base building, journey of discovery etc hasn't been matched by anything sense.

Rights would probably be a big issue. Crazy Taxi just isn't the same without the late 90s Offspring and Bad Religion.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

pentyne posted:

There are at least 20 games from that era that would sell at least 100k copies on digital platforms. Powerstone, maybe not, but Skies of Arcadia is one of the greatest jrpgs of its generation and its general type, pirates/rogues, base building, journey of discovery etc hasn't been matched by anything sense.

Rights would probably be a big issue. Crazy Taxi just isn't the same without the late 90s Offspring and Bad Religion.

They licensed The Offspring for the Crazy Taxi idle game that was surprisingly good and the mobile port of OG Crazy Taxi so clearly they know that's an integral part of that game.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

punk rebel ecks posted:

Why wouldn't Nintendo or Sega want the games on their consoles?

I think until recently Nintendo was cultivating an exclusively-family-friendly marketing strategy (no, I can't explain Conker's Bad Fur Day) so I could see why Nintendo would say no.

Microsoft (I assume you meant them and not Sega) wanted games with global appeal, and back in 2005 the game industry was in that mindset that Americans wouldn't want games that were too Japanesey

It's kinda understandable

Hell, it's even a miracle that it worked on Playstation. It took six games before the US market really cottoned onto it, and kind of insane that they kept pumping them out to an audience that ignored them for this long

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Aug 15, 2018

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Am I crazy for thinking this looks kinda cool?

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I wonder if that fishing game has Toy-Con compatibility.

.TakaM
Oct 30, 2007

I'm about 7 hours into Okami and I just had my first crash, it happened when I saved but luckily it didn't corrupt my file...

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

I can’t get enough of this Filip Miucin guy and his plagiarism... apparently he he was not only stealing from professional sites, but also NeoGAF threads for his videos. Here’s one where he lifts a post wholesale for a video about HD rumble:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/insertcoin/2018/08/14/evidence-surfaces-of-more-word-for-word-plagiarism-by-ex-ign-editor/#1edd3d245bd1

:munch:

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
I just watched a Pokemon Let's Go trailer on the Switched and noticed that Jesse and James pop up. Were they in the original games? From what little I played of Blue I only remember the generic Team Rocket mooks.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

They were in Yellow, which took more from the anime and which Let's Go is primarily based on.

Chekans 3 16
Jan 2, 2012

No Resetti.
No Continues.

Grimey Drawer
Put a solid chunk of time into Dead Cells and am not minding the issues at all, I've had some hitching but never in places where it actually mattered. Game's really good.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

This is the last time I'll do Sega talk, but looking things up, it seems that the Dreamcast didn't really die so much as Sega just ran out of money.

The Dreamcast ended up selling anywhere between 4.6 million and 5.4 million units in the United States in the 18 month time frame. 1.7 million in Europe seems to be what the two links agree with as well.

In contrast, the Gamecube sold 3.5 million units in the United States and 1.5 million in Europe in 14 months (right at the end of the holiday season). The Xbox ended up selling 6.2 million units in North America and 2.2 million units in Europe in 18 months.

So it seems that the Dreamcast was on track to perform more or less as well as the Gamecube or Xbox with likely ending up at 20+ million copies sold. The issue was that Sega was selling the hardware at a huge loss and expected to recuperate with an attach rate similar to the Sega Genesis. The issue is that it has the highest attach rate of any console ever made besides the Master System (which may include the Brazilian systems with built in games?)

So yes, the Dreamcast couldn't battle the PS2, but honestly no one did. The console was a behemoth. If the Dreamcast was profitable per unit like the Gamecube, Sega may have been able to steer the ship.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

punk rebel ecks posted:

This is the last time I'll do Sega talk, but looking things up, it seems that the Dreamcast didn't really die so much as Sega just ran out of money.

The Dreamcast ended up selling anywhere between 4.6 million and 5.4 million units in the United States in the 18 month time frame. 1.7 million in Europe seems to be what the two links agree with as well.

In contrast, the Gamecube sold 3.5 million units in the United States and 1.5 million in Europe in 14 months (right at the end of the holiday season). The Xbox ended up selling 6.2 million units in North America and 2.2 million units in Europe in 18 months.

So it seems that the Dreamcast was on track to perform more or less as well as the Gamecube or Xbox with likely ending up at 20+ million copies sold. The issue was that Sega was selling the hardware at a huge loss and expected to recuperate with an attach rate similar to the Sega Genesis. The issue is that it has the highest attach rate of any console ever made besides the Master System (which may include the Brazilian systems with built in games?)

So yes, the Dreamcast couldn't battle the PS2, but honestly no one did. The console was a behemoth. If the Dreamcast was profitable per unit like the Gamecube, Sega may have been able to steer the ship.

I'm curious where that number for the Genesis comes from because that seems like an absurd number for a pre-CD system. It DID have some crazy packs ins during the era, but it's hard to imagine they'd skew the Genesis to double the attach rate of the NES or SNES.

The problem was simple- they couldn't sell enough Dreamcasts to make the money back through software and peripherals. It sold pretty ok in it's first year but it lost all steam when the Playstation 2 hit with the X-Box and the Gamecube on the way. People rapidly stopped buying it, especially when a lot of the 3rd party support dried up after the launch window, and combination of lack of new releases from outside Sega and a couple parties like Capcom, combined with the PS2 being able to sell as a DVD player even when the games weren't there, plus the Dreamcast being a piracy dream (I remember dudes in the arcade selling burned DC discs for like $5 in 2000) in an age where the internet was just reaching the state it could support that scene all kinda combined to kick the Dreamcast to the curb and Sega threw way too much money into the initial investment to even consider taking another go at it.

I mean, Sega's business sense is terrible, and the success of the Genesis/Mega Drive (in spite of a lot of what Sega did with it behind the scenes, as it turns out) proved to be their downfall as hubris created the disasters that were the 32X, the Saturn, and the Nomad, all of which poisoned the well for the Dreamcast before it ever got a chance to try and succeed.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Please tell me this is reel.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

DLC Inc posted:

lol jesus https://www.destructoid.com/sega-boss-says-he-pitched-yakuza-to-nintendo-and-microsoft-who-didn-t-want-it--518293.phtml

Yakuza on Switch/Xbox:

"...his now massively-successful series was only accepted with open arms by Sony: "I've never said this before, but while we released this game with Sony, I'd done presentations about it to Microsoft and Nintendo. Back then they said "No we don't want it." Now they say, "We want it!" (laughs) They didn't understand the reason why I created it."
I've been told that as a publisher you can't let yourself dwell on something you turned down that became mega-popular and made some other publisher rich later. It's just an unavoidable part of the business.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Samurai Sanders posted:

I've been told that as a publisher you can't let yourself dwell on something you turned down that became mega-popular and made some other publisher rich later. It's just an unavoidable part of the business.

Now they just take everything

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Im still not sure why the dreamcast didnt launch at 300. Its online system also wasnt handled well and for a core, expensive feature hardwar thats not good either (Xbone). Also the controller had the wire going the wrong way and only one thumbstick despite the PS1 already proving 2 thumbsticks was the future.

And that bass fishing thing isnt half as stupid as the sport hunting for the wii things

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Samurai Sanders posted:

Otherwise it's really sad, like how Sony never really got over passing on Bungie's Halo and so when Bungie finally freed themselves they went right in on that and hey uhh they got Destiny. Yikes.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Policenaut posted:

Otherwise it's really sad, like how Sony never really got over passing on Bungie's Halo and so when Bungie finally freed themselves they went right in on that and hey uhh they got Destiny. Yikes.

But hey think of all the great FPS games they made chasing that Halo whale, like Haze.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I heard it describing books though, not games. A lot of publishers looked at a draft of the first Harry Potter book and were like "this probably wouldn't make us any money".

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Barudak posted:

Im still not sure why the dreamcast didnt launch at 300. Its online system also wasnt handled well and for a core, expensive feature hardwar thats not good either (Xbone). Also the controller had the wire going the wrong way and only one thumbstick despite the PS1 already proving 2 thumbsticks was the future.

Dreamcast pioneered console online in the era of dialup, it was pretty amazing given the uphill battle Sega had to fight to make it appealing. They literally launched a dialup ISP to support it.

What PS1 games proved that 2 thumbsticks were the future? It's easy to say that in retrospect, but I don't recall being bothered by the lack of a second thumbstick at the time, perhaps because hardly any PS1 games made effective use of it. I remember thinking it was mostly there to make the DualShock symmetrical. I don't think the right stick was consistently used for camera control in FPS and 3D games until the PS2 era.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Barudak posted:

And that bass fishing thing isnt half as stupid as the sport hunting for the wii things

it's not stupid at all, it's cool

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

acksplode posted:

Dreamcast pioneered console online in the era of dialup, it was pretty amazing given the uphill battle Sega had to fight to make it appealing. They literally launched a dialup ISP to support it.

What PS1 games proved that 2 thumbsticks were the future? It's easy to say that in retrospect, but I don't recall being bothered by the lack of a second thumbstick at the time, perhaps because hardly any PS1 games made effective use of it. I remember thinking it was mostly there to make the DualShock symmetrical. I don't think the right stick was consistently used for camera control in FPS and 3D games until the PS2 era.

Alien for psx was the first game to have the modern stick controls as default and the reviews blasted it for them.
Then halo did it and people liked it

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Didn’t even GTA3 ship with single analog controls?

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Third person shooters in general didn't get their poo poo together until games like Kill.Switch and Resident Evil 4 set the standard.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Policenaut posted:

Bring back Sega Bass Fishing

Bass Masters Classic for the Genesis was really good too.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

acksplode posted:

The drop rates in PSO v.1 made most gachas look positively benign. It was a lot less crazy when they rereleased it as PSO Ep1 & 2 on the gamecube

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Didn’t even GTA3 ship with single analog controls?

Yup. The camera always snapped to the direction you were moving and shooting had a lock-on system.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Reminder that Halo was arguably the first quality FPS to use dual analog. That's one of the big reasons why it was so popular.

Mr. Locke posted:

I'm curious where that number for the Genesis comes from because that seems like an absurd number for a pre-CD system. It DID have some crazy packs ins during the era, but it's hard to imagine they'd skew the Genesis to double the attach rate of the NES or SNES.

Yeah I wonder that too. I clicked the source but it doesn't say much. I know for a fact that games didn't used to sell anywhere near as much as they do now back then.

Mr. Locke posted:

The problem was simple- they couldn't sell enough Dreamcasts to make the money back through software and peripherals. It sold pretty ok in it's first year but it lost all steam when the Playstation 2 hit with the X-Box and the Gamecube on the way. People rapidly stopped buying it, especially when a lot of the 3rd party support dried up after the launch window, and combination of lack of new releases from outside Sega and a couple parties like Capcom, combined with the PS2 being able to sell as a DVD player even when the games weren't there,.

Good point.

Mr. Locke posted:

plus the Dreamcast being a piracy dream (I remember dudes in the arcade selling burned DC discs for like $5 in 2000) in an age where the internet was just reaching the state it could support that scene all kinda combined to kick the Dreamcast to the curb and Sega threw way too much money into the initial investment to even consider taking another go at it

This was debunked. The Dreamcast had a healthy attach ratio of 8 that I showed earlier. While it's from the same site of the strange Genesis attach rate, it actually links to a reliable sourced.

Barudak posted:

Im still not sure why the dreamcast didnt launch at 300.

Sega of Japan thought the same thing, that's why they fired the American CEO.

Barudak posted:

Its online system also wasnt handled well and for a core, expensive feature hardwar thats not good either (Xbone).
This is because Sega apparently didn't have an internal hardware team so they had to shop around for parts.

punk rebel ecks fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Aug 15, 2018

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

acksplode posted:

Even late into PS2 era lots of games didn't take full advantage of proper dual-stick controls. Timesplitters didn't support it and used janky goldeneye controls. Pretty sure that's true of TS2 and I *think* future perfect even.

Did Half-life on PS2 have dual stick controls? Or Unreal Tournament PS2? I can't remember for the life of me, but I think not? Or if they did, they didn't have the right controls on the right sticks. I own both games on disc I should go test them out...

punk rebel ecks posted:

Reminder that Halo was arguably the first quality FPS to use dual analog. That's one of the big reasons why it was so popular.

Yeah Halo was the console game that really nailed FPS. Before Halo every console FPS felt like an inferior port, almost like trying to play an RTS on console but not quite Starcraft 64 levels of awkward.

It wasn't even just the dual stick controls though, Bungie really thought through how to make an FPS work on a controller and there's so many subtle gameplay decisions that make it work better that people don't even realize contribute to the good gamefeel.

The characters move and turn and jump much slower than like quake on purpose, because you can't respond as fast as you can with a mouse. The two weapon limit makes flipping simpler than trying to scroll through a list with no mouse wheel or keyboard keys to individually bind weapons to. Having melee and grenade as dedicated buttons instead of making them their own weapons also again made playing on controller just feel really good compared to how PC FPS were doing things.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
Man I loved the dreamcast so much, I didn't know jack poo poo about console sales or whatever back then, so I was just really surprised when games just abruptly stopped coming out for it. There were a lot of good ones too.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Zaphod42 posted:

Did Half-life on PS2 have dual stick controls? Or Unreal Tournament PS2? I can't remember for the life of me, but I think not? Or if they did, they didn't have the right controls on the right sticks. I own both games on disc I should go test them out...

Half Life had left analog move right analog look; checked my copy just now.

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

Guy Goodbody posted:

it's not stupid at all, it's cool

Live your dream, GG

Edit: I mean that in the nicest way possible

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Just tested and Unreal Tournament PS2 has dual stick controls, the defaults are wrong but it has a few different configurations and a couple of them have the proper modern standard left stick / right stick config, so it was good.

Pretty sure that was pre-Halo, yeah UT was 2000 and Halo was 2001

Midjack posted:

Half Life had left analog move right analog look; checked my copy just now.

nice

• Locked thread