Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

little_firebird posted:

Hyde says hi.

Sootsprite bite.

Soot's cage for reference:

and a bonus alphonse playing with a jingle bell
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BzIpmQ8-VXs

That's so frickin' cute I had to show my Dad.

He says it looks like a cute bird popping out of a bigger bird. I cannot argue.

Hi Hyde and friends!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

How to cock it up, Fig. I

https://twitter.com/PERTZFOX/status/1028970741385940993

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

I can't stop laughing at the drat bird being such a bird. "Owner fell in hole. Time to stand on owner. Seed?!"

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer
He looks so delighted in the second picture, it's fantastic

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

Captain Log posted:

I can't stop laughing at the drat bird being such a bird. "Owner fell in hole. Time to stand on owner. Seed?!"

Owner give seed

Plant seed, get more seed

Plant owner, get more owner

More owner = give More seed!!!!

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I don't think we can direct link Reddit videos but go look at this with sound on :3: I had no idea they sounded like that

https://www.reddit.com/r/PartyParrot/comments/96x8rg/squeaky_banana_chicken/

Rallos
Aug 1, 2004
Live The Music

Tendai posted:

I don't think we can direct link Reddit videos but go look at this with sound on :3: I had no idea they sounded like that

https://www.reddit.com/r/PartyParrot/comments/96x8rg/squeaky_banana_chicken/

Yes they are awesome. If any of you are in Southern California (near San Diego) I would head over to Emerald Forest Bird Gardens in fall brook. The owner Jerry is super nice and his employee does tours of the facility including all the adult bird housing and the baby hatchery. You need to call in advance don’t just drop by. https://www.emeraldforestbirdgardens.com

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

Update on Peckacles, who had his (her?) first (with us anyway) vet visit today.

Apparently Pecks is quite a sick bird. Here is his health report:

Good news is, he should recover with treatment. He will be on shots for 10 days to clear everything up. I look forward to adding giving shots to a bird to my resume below "proficient with Microsoft Office." Also Pecks is anemic and low on vitamins.

And he is riddled with feather lice, for which the vet gave him a powder treatment. I did not get to witness the treatment, but according to the vet it is, and I poo poo-you-not this is a direct quote, "a shake and bake sorta thing."

They took plenty of blood and stool samples and will be following up on whatever other variants of mutant bird AIDS this poor thing managed to sex up on his 120-mile Rumspringa down the Treasure Coast.

Enigma fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Aug 14, 2018

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

Enigma posted:

Update on Peckacles, who had his (her?) first (with us anyway) vet visit today.

Apparently Pecks is quite a sick bird. Here is his health report:

Good news is, he should recover with treatment. He will be on shots for 10 days to clear everything up. I look forward to adding giving shots to a bird to my resume below "proficient with Microsoft Office." Also Pecks is anemic and low on vitamins.

And he is riddled with feather lice, for which the vet gave him a powder treatment. I did not get to witness the treatment, but according to the vet it is, and I poo poo-you-not this is a direct quote, "a shake and bake sorta thing."

They took plenty of blood and stool samples and will be following up on whatever other variants of mutant bird AIDS this poor thing managed to sex up on his 120-mile Rumspringa down the Treasure Coast.

Aww, that poor thing! Thanks for doing the right thing and getting her to a vet. Somehow, I bet giving your bird shots will be easier than an angry cockatoo. :)

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!

Enigma posted:

Update on Peckacles

Geez, birds are great at hiding how sick they are! I know pigeons are a lot more passive than parrots to begin with, but I wonder if all this is making him lethargic and withdrawn.

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

Could be, I have no other experience with pigeons beyond "hey that's a lot of poo poo on that statue." Once we fatten him up a bit (he's a tad underweight too, because of course) and burn out the demons with incantations and modern medicine, I'll have a better idea.

The vet gave him injectable vitamins and delousing powder (still laughing at "shake and bake sorta thing" and also he has a purple hue now) plus a take-home goodie bag of injectable antibiotics, oral anti-fungal meds., and a second oral medicine I think the vet gave just because he likes even numbers.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
Jesus, how much did that visit cost? :v:

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

Quite a bit more than a brand new pigeon, that much I can guarantee.

My son adores him though. He'd better end up being the best pigeon friend a little boy ever had. Pixar, I'll be awaiting your call.

Enigma fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Aug 15, 2018

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-45179970

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
After a year of training, I just got Serra to poop on command! HAHA! I'm waaaay too happy about this.

I tried to catch a0 picture of me giving her a kiss, but she wasn't having it.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Yeah that's definitely one of the most "gently caress you" looks I've seen on a cockatiel :allears:

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

Tendai posted:

Yeah that's definitely one of the most "gently caress you" looks I've seen on a cockatiel :allears:

It's her state of mind. She is going through bird puberty and kinda acting nuts, but I don't mind because she still refuses to do anything other than beak me.

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

Enigma posted:

Quite a bit more than a brand new pigeon, that much I can guarantee.

My son adores him though. He'd better end up being the best pigeon friend a little boy ever had. Pixar, I'll be awaiting your call.

Oh man, when I took my birds in before I got them boarded a few weeks ago, I did the whole gamut of testing and it was ~$800 and I almost swallowed my tongue. Most of them I won't have to repeat any time soon, but holy poo poo, exotic vet bills are no joke. Debating getting pet insurance now.

Captain Log posted:

It's her state of mind. She is going through bird puberty and kinda acting nuts, but I don't mind because she still refuses to do anything other than beak me.

What a cranky girl :allears:

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

I think these two had a bet to see who could get a human in the most embarassing situation via their absconding.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
The expression on the fireman's face is some A+ poo poo

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

Shirec posted:

Oh man, when I took my birds in before I got them boarded a few weeks ago, I did the whole gamut of testing and it was ~$800 and I almost swallowed my tongue. Most of them I won't have to repeat any time soon, but holy poo poo, exotic vet bills are no joke. Debating getting pet insurance now.

What a cranky girl :allears:

Yeesh, and I thought I was getting off rough at like $300.

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009
The nearest avian vet to me is over an hour away in the town with a zoo, which sucks, but they also do tons of other veterinary work and don’t charge extra for birds or anything so my average vet bill on the rare occasions we need to go are $50-$60. Bloodwork, medication, the visit itself, everything. I guess we’re lucky?

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

That’s about what I’m used to for a normal visit with the other birds, but when you bring in a brand new Typhoid Pigeon I guess you get the works.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
I consider myself lucky when I leave the vet without having spent over $150

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

Enigma posted:

Yeesh, and I thought I was getting off rough at like $300.

To be fair, I had two birds so I'm within the realm of yours

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
He gave me this look when I opened up his cage upon my return from work. Not sure if he's angry.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
https://i.imgur.com/YXWQiLZ.mp4

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

This... this is good? Yes! This is good!

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

Jose Oquendo posted:

He gave me this look when I opened up his cage upon my return from work. Not sure if he's angry.

waiting for the inevitable "he bit my toe" update in a few hours

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Jose Oquendo posted:

He looks like he's willing to listen to your excuses but makes no promises re: subsquent bites if said excuses are deemed feeble.

aka

'Hey bird, you angry or just thinking about something?'

'Let me out and let's find out.'

Pookah fucked around with this message at 09:08 on Aug 15, 2018

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

Jose Oquendo posted:

That’s his secret captain, he’s always angry

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Even when they're happy, grays look like they're plotting

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Tendai posted:

Even when they're happy, grays look like they're plotting

Plotting makes them happy

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

Jose Oquendo posted:

Living with a grey since a teenager and I can tell you the slight puff and the little-bit closed eyes means resting bird. Little bit sleepy but now it has to be awake, you fool. It may or may not want to interact but you it safer just to feed it

So that is a teenager you woke up at 4am to leave early for an event and he/she has to deal with it; and have every right to be cranky about it. Until you stop at McDonald's to feed the kid.

Reading birds that have some sort of intelligence is a thing I can do.

It is a curse because some of the "cute" gifs/pics posted here and elsewhere on the internet are obviously mating attempts or courting which fucks the hell with a bird's hormones if someone can pavlov trigger that behavior. I keep quiet about it because it's very hard to tell a person they are actually blue-gonading their parrot to crazy town.

EVIL Gibson fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Aug 15, 2018

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

^^^ I think this guy I’m posting is at least keeping it friendly and not getting bird dirty

https://twitter.com/pissed_eagle/status/1029528892116217856

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
What kind of bird is that? It's awesome.

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

Tendai posted:

What kind of bird is that? It's awesome.

It’s a silvery cheeked hornbill according to Twitter
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silvery-cheeked_hornbill

Hug in a Can
Aug 1, 2010

NICE FLAMINGO
kind heart
fierce mind
brave spirit

:h: be good and try hard! :h:

idk, that back pet looks a bit lingering... 🤔

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

Hug in a Can posted:

idk, that back pet looks a bit lingering... 🤔

Oh no, inadvertent bird pervert :ohdear:

In recompense, a good thread (many more if you follow the tweets)

https://twitter.com/ellle_em/status/1029319763930038273

https://twitter.com/ellle_em/status/1029323177288187905

https://twitter.com/ellle_em/status/1029326402020143104

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

New digs for Pecacles are coming along nicely. Got him set up in a nice dog training cage. The cardboard shelf is temporary and a proof of concept until I can make it from something sturdier. Also planning to make/get a ramp to go up to it.

Pecks is still a bit purple/brownish from the delousing powder, but otherwise is making a huge comeback. Eating a lot more (hopefully gaining weight) and much more energetic. I mean, still a feathered potato, but an energetic one now.