Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
Tube grubs are great, just like moogie used to make

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sergg
Sep 19, 2005

I was rejected by the:

Can't wait for the Florida refugees giving their state an even worse reputation.

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009

Sergg posted:

Can't wait for the Florida refugees giving their state an even worse reputation.

That's where the wall is truly going, the one thing uniting this country is keeping Floridians in their place.

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
Really hard to come up with reasons to sober up while the earth is dying lol

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Previously 'waterfront' homes in florida will be lifted onto stilts/pylons by their wealthy occupants and the land value will still be higher than the middle of the country so people wont leave. Every time a hurricane comes through the houses get ripped off and thrown into their neighbors, but the concrete pylons will remain and insurance will rebuild.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

mlmp08 posted:

Over 70,000 athletes play football. 250ish get drafted to the NFL. I think they’re doing so for more reasons than training for the NFL.

I don’t think the 70,000 are all so stupid that they don’t know their odds.

Have you watched Last Chance U? Probably half the kids think they can make it and they are playing JUCO football.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

I hope the ocean can muster its forces for one last counterattack by way of a mega-tsunami.

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

I hate everyone and wish for nuclear death qtiyd

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

M_Gargantua posted:

Previously 'waterfront' homes in florida will be lifted onto stilts/pylons by their wealthy occupants and the land value will still be higher than the middle of the country so people wont leave. Every time a hurricane comes through the houses get ripped off and thrown into their neighbors, but the concrete pylons will remain and insurance will rebuild.

People on the gulf coast of FL north of like Sarasota are gonna dodge hurricanes and think they're impervious until a 185-mph hellstorm scours the coast like a belt sander.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

FAUXTON posted:

People on the gulf coast of FL north of like Sarasota are gonna dodge hurricanes and think they're impervious until a 185-mph hellstorm scours the coast like a belt sander.

So is the bad part of this that it won't happen soon enough or what? Cause seriously, gently caress Coastal Alabama.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

C'mon. Is there really a good part of Alabama?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

the soul food restaurants

i ate at a place that was basically just this lady's house sectioned off and it was awesome

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Casimir Radon posted:

C'mon. Is there really a good part of Alabama?

Birmingham is actually a very nice city with a good food and bar scene and a fantastic art museum.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

That made me think of this old classic, Tom Brady's post-UofM resume

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
There's basically nothing that can be done to prevent ALL of the horrible poo poo that's just around the corner. There's dozens of ecological disasters right on the edge that can easily wipe out hundreds of millions of people. Hothouse Earth making places uninhabitable, rising seawater deleting the coasts, acidification of the oceans, dead zones in the oceans, coral reef bleaching destroying local fishing, overfishing, depletion of aquifers, algae bloom, invasive species, the list goes on.

We can prevent...some of these? maybe kick the can down to the next generation? But climate change and related disasters are going to gently caress us real good and it's gonna happen in our lifetimes, make no mistake.

Crakkerjakk
Mar 14, 2016

Immanentized posted:

Hope yall like protein slime.

There really is no real sustainability for the current population is there? It's bad choices all the way down

We'd be okay if 90% of the population went vegetarian. Food wise anyways. We can also turn around climate change if we treat it like WW2 level mobilization of industry and immediately stopped pulling new carbon out of the ground, and accelerated shuttering existing carbon-based power generation, starting with coal.

We won't do that because we're loving morons. But the obstacle is not physics (yet). It's politics/human nature.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
we would also be ok if 80-95% the pop died, and that is, sadly, more feasible than them going veg

very possible even with the prez and congress we've got

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

It depends. Cutting down on meat consumption would probably help more than eliminating it outright. Eating a cow that lived its whole life in your county is better than eating a ton of fruits and vegetables that were grown across the country. I saw a study that suggested vegan was only the 5th most eco friendly diet because some land is better suited for pasture and not using it is less efficient.

Crakkerjakk
Mar 14, 2016

Bulky Bartokomous posted:

It depends. Cutting down on meat consumption would probably help more than eliminating it outright. Eating a cow that lived its whole life in your county is better than eating a ton of fruits and vegetables that were grown across the country. I saw a study that suggested vegan was only the 5th most eco friendly diet because some land is better suited for pasture and not using it is less efficient.

That's why I said 90%. People in the far north, nomadic herding people's, etc, there's a lot of people who would still need to eat meat. Majority of the people on the planet though, the existing farmland can repurposed from growing feed for livestock to growing food for people, and with plenty of land leftover to reforest. Especially if you focus on healthy and nutritious fruits and vegetables instead of assloads of corn and soy (though soy is actually pretty decent as food for people).

I would be curious if those measures of eco-friendly diets included how overfished the oceans currently are and how much more likely they are to shortly be extra hosed, though.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
realistically the probably close to a billion people left on the planet can eat whatever they want because the resulting famine and the wars caused over it will cull things back down to manageable levels

sucks for the ~6.5 billion that don't make the cut though

edit: I work on the NOAA campus, those guys will tell anybody willing to listen about how scientifically hosed we are, poo poo is crazy

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009

Crakkerjakk posted:

That's why I said 90%. People in the far north, nomadic herding people's, etc, there's a lot of people who would still need to eat meat. Majority of the people on the planet though, the existing farmland can repurposed from growing feed for livestock to growing food for people, and with plenty of land leftover to reforest. Especially if you focus on healthy and nutritious fruits and vegetables instead of assloads of corn and soy (though soy is actually pretty decent as food for people).

I would be curious if those measures of eco-friendly diets included how overfished the oceans currently are and how much more likely they are to shortly be extra hosed, though.

The fishing isn't necessarily the big nations is it? Like I know China is pulling a ton of aggressive nonsense, but as to over-fishing, isn't it desperate countries going farther and farther away in search of exploitable populations?

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
Should I feel terrible about working in the natural gas sector? It's union work and pays well but the world is dying 😬

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

Crakkerjakk posted:

Sorry totally missed that part. I reed gud.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Hot Karl Marx posted:

Should I feel terrible about working in the natural gas sector? It's union work and pays well but the world is dying 😬

Would the world be dying less if you didn't work in LNG?

The worlds is dying a smoggy death, and there really isn't anything I can do about it. Might as well enjoy some good fish and booze while I still can.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Guys, don't worry. The planet will automatically solve this problem one way or another no human intervention required. Quite probably despite our intervention! :v:

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler
Managing livestock alongside regular crops is better for the soil and sequesters more carbon (in poop) than not raising livestock. Obviously feeding a bunch of animals with grain in feedlots doesn't really have any environmental benefits but everyone going vegan entirely would be worse than raising meat in conjunction with grains. Also as Bulky said there's an enormous amount of land that is far better suited to grazing than farming.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

EBB posted:

Guys, don't worry. The planet will automatically solve this problem one way or another no human intervention required. Quite probably despite our intervention! :v:

Probably by eliminating those intervening and their entire species.

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009
Gaia, I am ready. (but take the other guy first)

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

Nick Soapdish posted:

That made me think of this old classic, Tom Brady's post-UofM resume

Reminds me of the Upon Further Review podcast/book where they posit a world where the Patriots still suck, Belichick is a local sports radio commentator, and Brady's an unknown high school sports coach out in California. Still doomed to apocalyptic climate change, but nonetheless a better timeline all around.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Hot Karl Marx posted:

If there's one thing I've learned about working with oil sands producers headquartered in Calgary, it's that they are joyfully going about ignoring their contribution to the destruction of the Canadian wilderness because they know their American and Middle Eastern counterparts will always catch more poo poo for it.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned

Nice and hot piss posted:

I hate everyone and wish for nuclear death qtiyd

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!

psydude posted:

If there's one thing I've learned about working with oil sands producers in Calgary, it's that they are joyfully going about ignoring their contribution to the destruction of the Canadian wilderness.

I'm drilling gas mains/services used for heating homes/industry etc, not crude or stuff like that. It gets cold here in the winter and electrical heating is extremely inefficient and expensive. That's how I justify it to myself at least.

Edit: im not doing production/vertical drilling type of thing, I'm a horizontal directional driller

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
like there is legit going to be places on the planet VERY SOON that humans straight up can't live in anymore

either the weather is too extreme, the climate too hot, or there's no fresh water (either through saltwater contamination in aquifers or depleted ones) and within a few decades it's going to be a lot more than people realize

we also have to worry about phosphates

Crakkerjakk
Mar 14, 2016

Immanentized posted:

The fishing isn't necessarily the big nations is it? Like I know China is pulling a ton of aggressive nonsense, but as to over-fishing, isn't it desperate countries going farther and farther away in search of exploitable populations?

Pretty sure a lot of Asia is killing the gently caress out of their local seafood populations, but that's just a guess, I don't have data.

Crakkerjakk
Mar 14, 2016

my kinda ape posted:

Managing livestock alongside regular crops is better for the soil and sequesters more carbon (in poop) than not raising livestock. Obviously feeding a bunch of animals with grain in feedlots doesn't really have any environmental benefits but everyone going vegan entirely would be worse than raising meat in conjunction with grains. Also as Bulky said there's an enormous amount of land that is far better suited to grazing than farming.

Like, if livestock were just free range grazing and eating waste scraps of inedible parts of plants produced for people, no feedlots in sight, I'd buy it. But I'd guess that's also a world with like 5% (max) of existing livestock populations compared to how we do poo poo most places these days.

Also, treat people poop (as well as veggie bits not eaten by animals) and then use it as compost.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Immanentized posted:

That's probably because North America flatlined the Atlantic cod population in the 90s and you can't get much more of a drop than 99%.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Hot Karl Marx posted:

I'm drilling gas mains/services used for heating homes/industry etc, not crude or stuff like that. It gets cold here in the winter and electrical heating is extremely inefficient and expensive. That's how I justify it to myself at least.

Edit: im not doing production/vertical drilling type of thing, I'm a horizontal directional driller

I blame the heads of the companies that have brainwashed/slushed politicians into thinking that protecting the environment costs jobs because they're too turdly to take a small hit to their margins.

Running gas pipelines to people's houses so they have cooking and heating fuel is a completely different story.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

I still maintain the techlord elites will kill the vast majority of us with engineered bioweapons and then manifest destiny whatever's left of the earth. If the history of the americas teaches us anything it's that genocide works if attempted on a large enough scale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

shame on an IGA posted:

I still maintain the techlord elites will kill the vast majority of us with engineered bioweapons and then manifest destiny whatever's left of the earth. If the history of the americas teaches us anything it's that genocide works if attempted on a large enough scale.

All those genetic testing services are just setting up a database for FOXDIE deployment.

• Locked thread