Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Psycho Knight posted:

It's gone on this long, no reason to think it'll peter out before then.

The real question will be post game. They could be bolting poo poo on to that for years. Or, god forbid, they might start on a sequel.

I love your new avatar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TCat
Oct 10, 2012

I'll save you the time and call myself a loser
So I got a couple observances based on the past pages of convo.

On Dark Dawn, what really bothered me about it is it felt like I only did like the first FOURTH of an actual JRPG despite it's length. So it almost felt like despite the fact they could put a whole game in there, they split it up again like they did GS/TLA. The fact the main quest is so generic and lame and it ends on a cliffhanger only really aids my opinion about them shipping a game that if this was the PS1 wouldn't have even been the first disk in length. Levels of characters and actual time spent in the game notwithstanding.

Also...I went back to look at the other deaths in the creepypasta gym due to the whole Kiki apparently being one of the deaths shown and...

quote:

HMMMMMMMMMMMMMM.butthat'sjustatheoryAGAMETHEORY

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Cattail Prophet posted:

Speaking of ZEL, I'm morbidly curious: In the RP, was ZEL's player one person RPing a character with DID, one person who actually had DID, or three separate people who thought it would be just hilarious if they each played a different personality for a single character?

As far as I understand, Team Asteroid was created for the game, it didn't exist in the RP, so ZEL was not RPed by anyone. They're a wholly new mess.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Azza Bamboo posted:

The relationship points came up earlier ITT. Back then I assumed that these were for an unfinished "do sex with the NPCs" mechanic. Now I see Anna can get points, I have to assume there's more to it than that.

Please God.

I have not played this game, but

I suspect whoever you have the highest hidden friendship points with is getting kidnapped and possibly murdered in front of you because they're the character you "care" the most about.

Please, please cheat and set Fern's friendship at 999 if this is the case.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Blaze Dragon posted:

As far as I understand, Team Asteroid was created for the game, it didn't exist in the RP, so ZEL was not RPed by anyone. They're a wholly new mess.

The actual quote in full

quote:

Onmi - Today at 3:18 PM
That's perfectly fine. I guess this does sort of cross over into that. Are there any characters in the Reborn game who were created wholesale for the game?
Amethyst - Today at 3:21 PM
Sort of. Several of the Team Meteor characters were given to me on my request. The goal of this project was to create a game based on our league and community, and Team Meteor as a concept was something that came out of some of the users just roleplaying in back channels on our Pokemon Online server for fun. When I started making the game, I asked the person who had been running those roleplays for a few characters I should use to represent Team Meteor. That person gave me Taka, Solaris, Sirius, ZEL, Aster and Eclipse. So I ran with those from there.
Onmi - Today at 3:22 PM
Okay, so characters that are rivals and gym leaders came from the gym leaders of the Online league and Team Meteor came from side-RPs involved within Reborn. What about Cain? I can't seem to find any reference to his character having been a gym leader.
Amethyst - Today at 3:24 PM
He was one, briefly. After the incident with Corey, Cain took his place. Then Cain got kicked out because of his uhh encounters with boys, so Aya took his.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

PoptartsNinja posted:

I have not played this game, but

I suspect whoever you have the highest hidden friendship points with is getting kidnapped and possibly murdered in front of you because they're the character you "care" the most about.

Please, please cheat and set Fern's friendship at 999 if this is the case.

I'm thinking it's possibly some kind of hidden loot dispensing mechanic: get your friendship up with this guy and you get some boring useless item.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

quote:

Then Cain got kicked out because of his uhh encounters with boys, so Aya took his.

:stare: Do I want to know what this is referring to?!

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

why would you include a pedophile's RP character in your game :psyduck:

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Some Numbers posted:

:stare: Do I want to know what this is referring to?!

Going to hazard a guess at "no" to be honest.

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

seriously, why. why not just make up a new character. there isn't a :psyduck: big enough for this decision

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
I did not press on it, because quite frankly I didn't want to know what the incident was, for the sake of my own sanity, I'm going to assume that Cain simply made male challengers uncomfortable by hitting on them.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Can somebody list out the deaths we saw in Mr. Creepypasta's gym

I can't identify Reborn characters by sight even after this many updates, their designs and personalities are just too generic (outside of Cain, who stands out by dint of being so completely and utterly insufferable I want to set my computer on fire)

That gif has a red-haired person killing a teal-haired person like it's meaningful and I don't know who either one is

e: Actually, a list of characters by hair color would make things a lot more readable for me, since names come up or people walk on-screen and I'm like, who? Anna? Who the gently caress is Anna?

megane fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Aug 15, 2018

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Uh oh. Do I use Ariadne thread or Goho-M?

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

And each time I do it shows me... a video of someone dying??

what

no seriously

Ahahahaha what are you trying to make these RSE sprites do

And the last one I find shows Corey's suicide again

Here are all of them. That's clearly Kiki in the second one, so somehow these deaths were predicted. Which means that the one where someone explodes and then falls apart (I think?) could happen in the future. You'd think that the dumb slenderman ripoff gym leader would have at least told somebody about them.

Draxion
Jun 9, 2013

Isn't the exploding and falling apart one that girl who, now that I think about it, talks like a robot? Might be Fern's sister?

Of course, it could be someone else with green hair, it's not like anybody in this isn't anime as all hell.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

Draxion posted:

Of course, it could be someone else with green hair, it's not like anybody in this isn't anime as all hell.

It's Pokemon, dude.

Draxion
Jun 9, 2013

Well, yeah. I guess it's just how many of them are recurring characters we interact with constantly that's reminding me of that. The generic NPCs in actual pokemon games tend to look like normal people, and the gym leaders don't tend to be around as often as like, Cain has been.

Also it's hard to remember this is a pokemon game unless I'm actively looking at a pokemon in it, given how hard it's trying to be Heavy Rain.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

I do not believe we've met shredded to bits yet, Blue hair who's jumping is Amaria,

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Draxion posted:

Also it's hard to remember this is a pokemon game unless I'm actively looking at a pokemon in it, given how hard it's trying to be Heavy Rain.
Eh, it's not trying that hard, we haven't had a viewpoint character lie to the viewer in their thoughts to keep the mystery a mystery yet.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Zereth posted:

Eh, it's not trying that hard, we haven't had a viewpoint character lie to the viewer in their thoughts to keep the mystery a mystery yet.
Sometimes I almost forget how much of a loving hack David Cage is.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
I forgot Amaria even existed and assumed that was Ame's full name.
Why have two characters whose names start with 'Am'?

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Centuries of society's dependence on pokemon have made people unable to conceive of a person fighting another person

Wars are fought with I.D Tagged Pokemon from I.D Tagged pokeballs, with I.D Tagged TMs...

Pokemon of the patriots.

Also in Psycho Knight's new av I think it is important to note that every character BUT Raven looks towards the action. It cements the player as an after thought for me.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

DeafNote posted:

I forgot Amaria even existed and assumed that was Ame's full name.
Why have two characters whose names start with 'Am'?

Amaria's name thing was more likely for it ending in "ia" given that she's meant to be someone who graduated from high school or college or something with Julia, Florinia and Titania. The last one has not yet appeared(?), and I can only remember she exists because its Titania and that's a name wasted on this trash.

That doesn't make it better, but the first syllable is not the important one there. Why this is the pattern that was chosen for this irrelevant thing is, uh... I got nothing.

Eldataluta
May 31, 2012
Okay, so I know we're having fun talking about the horrible things that happen inside and outside this game, but I would like to call attention to the dialogue in the volcano update. Usually it's stupid enough that my eyes just kind of slide right off it. Like my brain is protecting itself by not letting me read too many of these terrible words. But I made the mistake of actually reading it this time.

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

"What are you doing!?"
"Sorry, Victoria. I know this isn't what you thought of me."

Like, what does that even mean? People don't talk like this. I know that there aren't people in this game, but how do you write those words in that order and not have your fingers shrivel up and fall off from embarrassment over what you wrote? It reads like a parody of a maximum edgey teen, but in context it is taken completely seriously.

Why does he say "execute" instead of "kill them" or whatever? It just sounds so dumb. At least when he was calling it deleting or whatever he reminded me of better, more menacing villains. But execute just sounds pretentious. Does... does Amethyst think that these things sound cool? Is that what she's going for?

Also, every plot point in this was stupid. Why would we care about Cal and his betrayal and unbetrayal? We met him once and (I, at least) immediately forgot about him because he was boring and forgettable. I think he had an inferiority complex or something? Victoria cares, and we ostensibly are supposed to care about her. But she's such a nothing character that I forget she exists every time she's not on screen. Taka is the bad guy's son, but... so? That doesn't change anything about our relationship with him.

I really feel like if Taka and Cal were merged into one character, the reveal would have not fallen as flat? Like have Taka be Victoria's friend and let this be the big reveal that he was working for his evil dad now, or the whole time, or whatever. And not have us trudge up a mountain to fight him and forget about him the first time. Hell, you could combine him with Cain too. Have him be the friendly (or at least not openly antagonistic) rival who develops a friendship with Victoria over the course of the game, and then his sudden betrayal might (in a better game) make the player feel something about it. Instead of just "k".

Also that would fix the problem of there being too many loving characters in this game. There are so many, and they are all basically interchangeable. OFS brings up characters, and I honestly don't know who they are. Like... Anna? I honestly have no idea who that is. Have we met an Anna yet? Was she one of the orphans that we're not rescuing because we can't move one rock?

Why have Kiki be terminally ill if you're going to kill her off in an unrelated "execution"? Kiki's illness doesn't add anything to the narrative, and ultimately it doesn't even matter. I guess it's an excuse for her to have her affairs in order so that Victoria can take over the school after she gets murdered, but you could solve that problem in so many more efficient ways. Like having her be at retirement age, or planning on going on a journey/pilgrimage herself and needing someone to fill in while she's gone. Then when she dies you know she died with regrets and maybe feel something about that. The Kiki we got might be a tone-deaf homage to her sick friend, but nobody outside their community would know about that.

Why do we get friendship points with an apparently precognitive ghost? Do we ever talk to the ghost again? We (thankfully) haven't had much contact with other past gym leaders.

Why is Cain here in this game at all? He was banished from the league irl. Why would you put a guy you had to kick out of your lovely club into your lovely years long fangame project? Why would you give him such a pivotal role in the first place? The last two? chapters only happened because Cain decided we needed to pester some orphan with his awful singing. Why does Cain burst into song every time he's on screen anyway? That's a really annoying character gimmick. I would say that this is all probably an attempted dig at Cain's player- forcing his character to lead us on a several chapter long derail where nothing we do matters and every time we progress we're denied rewards- but I don't think Amethyst is subtle enough for something like that.

I can see why we don't spend much time discussing the dialogue. I got completely distracted by work shopping all of the other parts of this scene. The writing in this game is really bad. From plot structure to dialogue it's all awful.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
"dude why are you suddenly a murderous rear end in a top hat?"

"I dunno I have a habit of making bad choices please don't judge me. Also die."

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Literally all Cal has done in this game is betray people. He betrayed his community, then betrayed the people he betrayed them for. Just as well that one girl didn't end up getting with him; he'd immediately cheat on her then snitch on himself.

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

FoolyCharged posted:

Seriously, that was the best part to me.

"You beat my completely overpowered garchomp designed to wreck you? I'm gonna make a vague comment dismissing this victory for my defeat text and then play out the following scene exactly as if nothing happened at all right down to using the guy you just took out. I guess you can get a points added to a bunch of hidden counters under the hood that to this point have done diddly squat."

They took the effort to recognize the player wins the battle, acknowledged that it was possible and give a hidden, useless reward, and then sit there and do gently caress all with it to let the player know that the effort they needed for victory had been acknowledged.
To be fair, there's really only three kinds of unwinnable boss fights in games: the ones that you "win" by surviving until the boss does some specific thing (but you still get a game over if you lose before that), the ones that are flat-out unwinnable and you're just supposed to get crushed by the boss, and the kind that are technically winnable but winning only changes a line or two of dialog if that.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Well, not to bring up Chrono Trigger again, but...

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

U.T. Raptor posted:

To be fair, there's really only three kinds of unwinnable boss fights in games: the ones that you "win" by surviving until the boss does some specific thing (but you still get a game over if you lose before that), the ones that are flat-out unwinnable and you're just supposed to get crushed by the boss, and the kind that are technically winnable but winning only changes a line or two of dialog if that.

Rarely winning the "unwinnable" boss fight just rewards you with a secret ending, like in Tales of... Destiny I think? Or sometimes there's a short new story path.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

I think it would've felt better* if he'd just... deployed another pokemon to kill Kiki instead. At least that would be the game tacitly acknowledging your success.

(*Better in the sense that it wouldn't immediately dismiss what you did out of hand - it's still a dumb story beat, but what's his face having to recall the Garchomp and deploy something else would at least acknowledge that you won and cement what's his face as a more credible threat since he has multiple murder machines.)

TheKirbs
Feb 16, 2018

True reality is on this side of the screen

Eldataluta posted:

Why does he say "execute" instead of "kill them" or whatever? It just sounds so dumb. At least when he was calling it deleting or whatever he reminded me of better, more menacing villains. But execute just sounds pretentious. Does... does Amethyst think that these things sound cool? Is that what she's going for?.

Unless.... :tinfoil: I wasn't an example of poor writing but the true villain slipping up as foreshadowing their shocking reveal. :tinfoil:

Think about it, they try to destroy human cities, set off a volcano and poison the water but Alolan Grimers and Muks can cleanse. What types would not care about concrete cities, would grow in the aftermath of an eruption and could control a Poison type.

It's clear that Solaris, which means Sun what types love sun, is a mind-controlled puppet for the true villain attempting to take over the island:

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

TheKirbs posted:

Unless.... :tinfoil: I wasn't an example of poor writing but the true villain slipping up as foreshadowing their shocking reveal. :tinfoil:

Think about it, they try to destroy human cities, set off a volcano and poison the water but Alolan Grimers and Muks can cleanse. What types would not care about concrete cities, would grow in the aftermath of an eruption and could control a Poison type.

It's clear that Solaris, which means Sun what types love sun, is a mind-controlled puppet for the true villain attempting to take over the island:

This checks out. Alolan Exeggutor is always looking down on people. :hai:

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Zanzibar Ham posted:

Rarely winning the "unwinnable" boss fight just rewards you with a secret ending, like in Tales of... Destiny I think? Or sometimes there's a short new story path.

Soul Nomad also does this. If you beat the unwinnable boss fight at the very start of the game you go into a secret bonus battle and then the game gets cut short early on a comic non-ending.

The Lufia series also has things like this, there's a semi-tradition of throwing an "unwinnable" boss fight at you and rewarding you with a really excellent prize if you win anyways.

Eldataluta
May 31, 2012

TheKirbs posted:

Solaris being three exeggcute in a trench coat would save this game for me tbh.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Eldataluta posted:

Okay, so I know we're having fun talking about the horrible things that happen inside and outside this game, but I would like to call attention to the dialogue in the volcano update. Usually it's stupid enough that my eyes just kind of slide right off it. Like my brain is protecting itself by not letting me read too many of these terrible words. But I made the mistake of actually reading it this time.

Like, what does that even mean? People don't talk like this.

This is why every piece of writing advice I have ever discovered or given out says that when you are writing dialogue of any kind, read it out loud.

I was going to comment more on the rest of your post but it turns out I just agree with all your points, so :golfclap:

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Oh, I was wondering why people were suddenly weirded out by Solaris telling their pokemon to use a move, but I didn't realize Execute wasn't an actual pokemon move. That does make it dumb.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

How hard would it have been to have beating the Garchomp lead to a branch where Kiki survives. She can retire from being a leader and just sit in the dojo and give one line of dialogue like every other NPC. I'll bet ten bucks her death is never mentioned again more than once so the dialogue changes would be trivial.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

The kicker is that we know he has more pokemon, so why not just have a scyther already there and he orders it to use guillotine after the fight?

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Kyrosiris posted:

I think it would've felt better* if he'd just... deployed another pokemon to kill Kiki instead. At least that would be the game tacitly acknowledging your success.

Randalor posted:

The kicker is that we know he has more pokemon, so why not just have a scyther already there and he orders it to use guillotine after the fight?

The main issue with that is that Kiki's death was already foreshadowed in the idiotic ghost gym. It had to be Garchomp, so unless Solaris had two of those, having him kill Kiki with another mon would mean Raven literally changed fate, and c'mon, do you think Amethyst would ever allow Raven to matter that much?

megane posted:

How hard would it have been to have beating the Garchomp lead to a branch where Kiki survives. She can retire from being a leader and just sit in the dojo and give one line of dialogue like every other NPC. I'll bet ten bucks her death is never mentioned again more than once so the dialogue changes would be trivial.

Again, it'd mean Raven actually mattered and that's just not allowed in this RP that pretends it's a game, but even more than that, it'd heavily derail the current lack of progress since Raven would actually get a Badge out of it (unless a Gym Leader retiring also nulls their badge, in which case Reborn's system is somehow even worse than I thought).

GirlCalledBob
Jul 17, 2013

Blaze Dragon posted:

The main issue with that is that Kiki's death was already foreshadowed in the idiotic ghost gym. It had to be Garchomp, so unless Solaris had two of those, having him kill Kiki with another mon would mean Raven literally changed fate, and c'mon, do you think Amethyst would ever allow Raven to matter that much?

So just have him not use Garchomp against Raven - I know it's supposed to be his signature Pokemon or something but he's already doing the whole 'I don't need my whole team to beat you' thing, so it could easily be a 'I can crush you even without my strongest Pokemon' thing, and then on the off-chance that the player does win, he can just pull out Garchomp as a 'well gently caress you anyway' to kill Kiki.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

megane posted:

I'll bet ten bucks her death is never mentioned again more than once so the dialogue changes would be trivial.

I'd like to think this, but they made a huge deal about her psychic powers and it went nowhere. My money is on her being a jedi ghost who gives some "use the force, Raven" spiel at some point in the game.