Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Tesseraction posted:

Source is Bloomberg:

Bloomberg blames: Basque bank bid badly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
Dutch news is saying 39% of BNP Paribas' outstanding loans (32b euro) is in Turkey, which is an insanely high number to me. Reason it gives is because BNP owns "a Turkish bank".

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Orange Devil posted:

Dutch news is saying 39% of BNP Paribas' outstanding loans (32b euro) is in Turkey, which is an insanely high number to me. Reason it gives is because BNP owns "a Turkish bank".

I think it might have come with the acquisition of Fortis.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
A phrase about eggs and baskets comes to mind...

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
How does it go from 2% according to Bloomberg to 39% according to whatever Dutch news? Is Fortis Bank Turkey really big enough to represent the 37 point difference?

Pretty impressive for a subsidiary of a subsidiary.

Pluskut Tukker
May 20, 2012

Orange Devil posted:

There's a brief story here on a French stock exchange news site which says that its interests in Turkey represent only 2% of the total outstanding loan portfolio of BNP Paribas and 2.5% of earnings before taxation, which sounds a bit more plausible to me. BNP Paribas is the largest banking group in France (the largest even in the Eurozone according to Wiki) and Turkey is not a big economy comparatively speaking.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Pluskut Tukker posted:

There's a brief story here on a French stock exchange news site which says that its interests in Turkey represent only 2% of the total outstanding loan portfolio of BNP Paribas and 2.5% of earnings before taxation, which sounds a bit more plausible to me. BNP Paribas is the largest banking group in France (the largest even in the Eurozone according to Wiki) and Turkey is not a big economy comparatively speaking.

Right I think it was 39% of the total Turkish debt held by EU banks

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Dutch news just being loving poo poo then.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

well, this is awkward:

https://twitter.com/jrhopkin/status/1029493629860098049

(it's the one that has collapsed)

and right on queue, the fingerpointing begins

https://twitter.com/alemannoEU/status/1029470181322571776

double nine fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Aug 14, 2018

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Starting to think this Salvini guy might just be an utterly worthless piece of poo poo who I would gladly piss on if he was on fire, if only to keep him on fire while also getting covered in piss.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Tesseraction posted:

Starting to think this Salvini guy might just be an utterly worthless piece of poo poo who I would gladly piss on if he was on fire, if only to keep him on fire while also getting covered in piss.

Same, only substitute "starting to think" with "I'm quite sure".

Dear Matteo Salvini: more than thirty people have died, and you're literally lying about why they died to score political points for your worthless anti-Europe side. If there's a hell, I'm sure Beelzebub has a devil put aside for you.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

It appears that hell is empty.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
What should surprise no one is that they decided in the nineties to keep doing restoration on the bridge while it was just slightly more expensive to raze it down and rebuild(please let's not make "lol genoas people are cheap" jokes, people have died :( ). For some weird reason that escapes me people keep believing that concrete structures will last forever like as they were build in brick&mortar by romans(lol nope) and just some loctite to plug holes will make a jolly good work. That bridge was built in the loving sixties…

SlowBloke fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Aug 15, 2018

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
It's only surprising that Salvini didn't try to blame migrants for it.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

double nine posted:

well, this is awkward:

https://twitter.com/jrhopkin/status/1029493629860098049

(it's the one that has collapsed)

and right on queue, the fingerpointing begins

https://twitter.com/alemannoEU/status/1029470181322571776
Yeah because bridges are collapsing all over Europe, killing hundred of people.
:ughh:
Way to look like a guilty pile of poo poo desperate to dodge the blame.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Toplowtech posted:

Yeah because bridges are collapsing all over Europe, killing hundred of people.
:ughh:
Way to look like a guilty pile of poo poo desperate to dodge the blame.

Given everything I have seen in the past two years, I'm sure it will work. Turns out most people don't give a crap about evidence or logic, they believe what they WANT to believe and pick and choose only what supports their worldview. Humanity was doomed from the start

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

AceOfFlames posted:

Given everything I have seen in the past two years, I'm sure it will work. Turns out most people don't give a crap about evidence or logic, they believe what they WANT to believe and pick and choose only what supports their worldview. Humanity was doomed from the start

Who is pushing the 'the bridge collapsed because its maintenance was deliberately underfunded due to short-sighted greed and corporate welfare' narrative?

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Who is pushing the 'the bridge collapsed because its maintenance was deliberately underfunded due to short-sighted greed and corporate welfare' narrative?

Nobody, because there's one thing nobody ever even fakes attempts at doing and that's pissing off the private corporate operators someone misteriously decided to hand over our highways to in the '90s. It's the one issue that should be in the spotlight since it's been clear that they just don't do the investments on the infrastructure and capture outrageous profits on yearly toll rate hikes, but that's not even off the agenda, you will never hear anyone talking about re nationalising our highways, not even anyone talking about imagining doing it.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
Currently watching the news, the narrative is "bridge was old as gently caress, they should have bulldozed it decades ago". Nobody is calling europe as the culprit, just Autostrade, both on RAI and Mediaset so it's bipartisan for now.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Also to be noted: the bridge had several design problems to start with, which required maintenance above and beyond what was originally planned (see also the similarly designed bridge in Venezuela).

IMO there's no single entity to blame, but everyone who has ever been in charge of the bridge since it was built should go against the wall. "We can't spend that much money, let's slap a bandaid on it and call it a day, someone will take care of it in the future." Italian mentality, everyone!

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

SlowBloke posted:

Currently watching the news, the narrative is "bridge was old as gently caress, they should have bulldozed it decades ago". Nobody is calling europe as the culprit, just Autostrade, both on RAI and Mediaset so it's bipartisan for now.

It wasn't just old as gently caress, it was really badly designed by a guy who built dozens of similarly terrible bridges all over the place. Maintenance of the cables is expensive bordering on impossible because the designer never heard of redundancy and put in the bare amount of cables needed to hold the load. In a sane design there's plenty of excess so that you can simply take messed up ones and have the rest hold up til they can be replaced.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Mikl posted:

Also to be noted: the bridge had several design problems to start with, which required maintenance above and beyond what was originally planned (see also the similarly designed bridge in Venezuela).

IMO there's no single entity to blame, but everyone who has ever been in charge of the bridge since it was built should go against the wall. "We can't spend that much money, let's slap a bandaid on it and call it a day, someone will take care of it in the future." Italian mentality, everyone!
I think it's more that it would be seen as hard to justify building another bridge and then demolishing/reducing use of one so soon after its construction (this is not unique to Italy; the Forth Road Bridge in Scotland is another badly designed 1960s bridge that has just got a replacement, in a richer country)

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

jBrereton posted:

I think it's more that it would be seen as hard to justify building another bridge and then demolishing/reducing use of one so soon after its construction (this is not unique to Italy; the Forth Road Bridge in Scotland is another badly designed 1960s bridge that has just got a replacement, in a richer country)

Which is what the Gronda was exactly going to be and thanks to a handful of NIMBYs chuckefucks(and empowered by Grillo & M5S) never went beyond the drawing board.

orange sky
May 7, 2007

Lol dumb Paddy Cosgrave invited Marine let Pen to speak at websummit in Portugal, there was a huge outcry and now she's uninvited.

No fascists here, thanks

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

orange sky posted:

Lol dumb Paddy Cosgrave invited Marine let Pen to speak at websummit in Portugal, there was a huge outcry and now she's uninvited.

No fascists here, thanks

The gently caress was she going to talk about? Blockchains? "How to spread lies through social media?" If it's the latter, I'm guessing Steve Bannon was busy?

AceOfFlames fucked around with this message at 13:33 on Aug 15, 2018

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

SlowBloke posted:

Which is what the Gronda was exactly going to be and thanks to a handful of NIMBYs chuckefucks(and empowered by Grillo & M5S) never went beyond the drawing board.
tbf multiple forth road bridges failed at the planning stage for the same reason, it's just bad luck that it happened to be the Genoa bridge that collapsed and not one in any of the hundreds of other places across the continent that our 60s era infrastructure is failing.

orange sky
May 7, 2007

AceOfFlames posted:

The gently caress was she going to talk about? Blockchains? "How to spread lies through social media?" If it's the latter, I'm guessing Steve Bannon was busy?

Paddy just invites anyone he thinks will give him publicity.

This was the wrong kind though.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

dis astranagant posted:

It wasn't just old as gently caress, it was really badly designed by a guy who built dozens of similarly terrible bridges all over the place. Maintenance of the cables is expensive bordering on impossible because the designer never heard of redundancy and put in the bare amount of cables needed to hold the load. In a sane design there's plenty of excess so that you can simply take messed up ones and have the rest hold up til they can be replaced.

Holy poo poo

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Lawman 0 posted:

Holy poo poo
His Wadi el Kuf bridge was reportedly closed for safety reasons after inspections identified potential fractures in the bridge in October 2017. His other most known bridges are in Libya and Venezuela so i am not sure the locals are prioritizing maintenance either atm.
The span design of the one that just went down had been described as a "failure of engineering", with escalating maintenance costs to keep it safe.

Tafferling
Oct 22, 2008

DOOT DOOT
ALL ABOARD THE ISS POLOKONZERVA
I'd say it's time for a Cadaver trial.
Let's dig that loving architect out.

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

Tafferling posted:

I'd say it's time for a Cadaver trial.
Let's dig that loving architect out.

Followed by https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Posthumous_execution

Then keep his head on a spike for decades as a warning to everyone who thinks of half-assing a bridge.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

orange sky posted:

No fascists here, thanks
Don't forget that he wrote a blog post defending the decision to invite her, before getting even more dunked on over it and having to uninvite her.

It all seems like a horrible publicity stunt though, last year he invited Nigel Farage.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Toplowtech posted:

His Wadi el Kuf bridge was reportedly closed for safety reasons after inspections identified potential fractures in the bridge in October 2017. His other most known bridges are in Libya and Venezuela so i am not sure the locals are prioritizing maintenance either atm.
The span design of the one that just went down had been described as a "failure of engineering", with escalating maintenance costs to keep it safe.

The one in Venezuela was rammed by a boat in 1964. Four cars fell in the water during this disaster, causing the death of seven people. No casualty among the ship crew.

The destroyed stacks were rebuilt and the bridge repaired, but then in 1979, another pile destroyed itself by simple erosion. No casualty this time. Again, it was rebuilt and it is still in use today.

I'm not sure which other Libyan bridge you're referring to, if not the closed one on the Wadi el Kuf.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Cat Mattress posted:

I'm not sure which other Libyan bridge you're referring to, if not the closed one on the Wadi el Kuf.
No i was referring to the Wadi el Kuf bridge itself which is quite similar to the Genoan bridge.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Well presumably the Libyan bridge is not maintained but it's not too much of a problem since it's closed. And maybe it'll get bombed to blow up some jihadists.

In other news:

https://www.independent.co.uk/voices/brexit-united-ireland-north-border-dup-reunification-republic-uk-loyalist-republican-a8494556.html

quote:

Once upon a time you might have been struck by the sectarian divide, here as in Belfast, which would have split opinion on everything. This August, that was not my first, or overwhelming, impression. The alignments of Protestant/unionist/loyalist on the one side and Catholic/republican/nationalist on the other seem less clear than they were.

[...]

The economic writing is already on the wall. The fall in the pound against the euro is not benefiting Northern Ireland. It is sending skilled EU workers home, or across the border. Uncertainty is killing investment. And it is not as though Northern Ireland was flourishing to start with. The Good Friday dividend never really arrived north of the border, and the comparative deprivation beyond Belfast is a shocking indictment of decades of poor government from London and Stormont. The northwest feels as abandoned by the UK as it ever has.

[...]

But something else is happening, too, which casts a slightly different light on this otherwise depressing scene. Late last month, after the week of riots, after the procession of UK visitors, the former DUP leader, now elder statesman, Peter Robinson used a conference speech just across the Irish border to reopen the taboo question of a united Ireland. In remarks received furiously by some fellow unionists, Robinson said he did not think Northern Ireland would vote to leave the UK, but people should “prepare” for the possibility and “accept the result”.

[...]

It is not clear where this might go. But the conversation now is not just about whether, but how. And allegiances appear to be more fluid, perhaps a lot more fluid, than they were – thanks to generational change in the north, social and economic change in the Republic, and, of course, Brexit.

The size of the majority for Remain in the EU referendum in Northern Ireland showed that it crossed the Catholic/Protestant, republican/unionist divide. A hard border, even the prospect of a hard border, could push the line even further. The result, in the event of a referendum on unification, may not be as predictable as it once was.

What the UK has cooked up, courtesy of our Brexit vote, the ill-advised election that gave the Northern Ireland DUP a casting vote in Westminster, and some cack-handed negotiation with Brussels, is widely seen in the province as a disaster in the making, presaging penury or a return to violence, or both. Or, it could spell the end of the Union and pave the way – Dublin willing – for a united Ireland. Even a year ago, that would have been inconceivable. No longer.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

A united Ireland is inconceivable because it'd mean Brexit had at least one positive result.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Orange Devil posted:

A united Ireland is inconceivable because it'd mean Brexit had at least one positive result.

Britain sinking into the sea isn't a positive result?

Antifa Poltergeist
Jun 3, 2004

"We're not laughing with you, we're laughing at you"

Tesseraction posted:

Britain sinking into the sea isn't a positive result?

No because theres enough trash in the ocean as it is.

Also lol at the outrage ay LePen, people are just shocked! that Paddy is a loving carny that keeps giving money and exposure to the worst people.

Dawncloack
Nov 26, 2007
ECKS DEE!
Nap Ghost
An Irish MP told me once that Dublin would never go for reunification, bc Northern Ireland is a basket case with an enormous budget deficit. Fwiw.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Northern Ireland is run by inept clowns, yes, so it would be a mild economic shock but tbh hard Brexit is going to piss into the Irish economy so it would probably be much of a muchness.