Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

apropos man posted:

A quick search suggests that it means that if you're actually using all ports at once then you'll get a full gigabit speed on each port. If you buy a cheap switch (like my TP-Link which is getting replaced when my Ubiquiti 8-port arrives this week) then you'll often find that the internals can't cope with delivering full gigabit on all ports at once: the bandwidth is shared internally. I guess it depends how cheaply made the switch is to how many ports at once you can get full gigabit on.

There's probably a better, more in-depth explanation but you should be able to push all 16 ports with full duplex gigabit traffic all at once.

Cool. I figured it would be like 32Gb bandwidth full duplex so the 16 number kind of threw me for a loop. Still, chances of me maxing out the entire switch is zero. It just my personal house switch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
If I CAN ipv6, SHOULD I ipv6?

I can’t think of any reason I need to but I do like loving around with things.

apropos man
Sep 5, 2016

You get a hundred and forty one thousand years and you're out in eight!
No shame in over-provisioning if you can afford it. I wish I'd never went the the cheap switch in the first place but I was a bit more naive about networking at the time.

Still, it'll sit in a drawer for a few months and maybe get donated to someone eventually.

Edit: I was replying to redeyes.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Use IPv6, even if it's just to be comfortable with how things work in a world without NAT, and so you aren't someone who turns it off at the first sign of a connection problem.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

redeyes posted:

Any idea what non-blocking throughput means?

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but it's the max thoroughput of the switch before (in certain circumstances) it gets overloaded.

So say you have 24 ports, and it'll say non blocking 48gbit of traffic, that means every single port can send and receive 1gbps of traffic at the same time and the hardware will handle it.

Back in the day we had some Cisco line cards (6148-ge-tx) in a big chassis switch that had 6 ASIC chips per 48 port line card, so 8 ports on the card were dedicated to each ASIC. Each ASIC could only handle 1 gigabit of traffic each, so if you had high bandwidth requirements you needed to space the connections out or you would run into a situation where traffic would be blocked due to the hardware not keeping up.

It wasn't a big deal for us as we used those cheap line cards for workstations, and had better ones for the server connections that were non blocking, but also more expensive.

Also TLDR, doesn't matter in a home use scenario.

apropos man posted:

No shame in over-provisioning if you can afford it. I wish I'd never went the the cheap switch in the first place but I was a bit more naive about networking at the time.

I'm absolutely frozen at making a decision on what switch to buy for my house. Do I get a basic unmanaged 24 port switch, spend the extra for a managed? I want something fanless and I'm leaning towards an HP 1810 or 1820 off ebay, but I'm not sure. I have a 3750G laying around, but I don't think I want the power usage or the fan noise in the house.

skipdogg fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Aug 14, 2018

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I'm starting to see the usefulness of having PoE available in your house. And ideally you want a switch that does VLANs so you can keep all the IoT poo poo away from anything remotely important.

Not-quite current model HP switches seem to be cheap on eBay most of the time - a 24 port 2530 with PoE is around £300 (https://www.ebay.com/itm/173458978538) and are more than enough for a home. Very quiet as well.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

WattsvilleBlues posted:

How does anyone get 2 Xboxes working properly from the same network, generally? Surely hardly anyone is getting a business account and getting extra IP addresses?

If I had IPv6 and a router that supports certain settings, would I still have problems?

I'm shocked that it's such an issue in this day and age :smithicide:

Quoting in desperation.

Can I use any of the alternate ports selections on the Xbox to help my situation?

apropos man
Sep 5, 2016

Is there no way that you can put a small Linux machine in between the second Xbox and your router, then map the port coming into the Linux box to an alternative port going out of it and then NAT the alternative port to go to the internet?

I'm tired and really haven't thought this through properly, so it may be absolute codswallop advice.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I'd assume Xboxes are smart enough to use ephemeral ports, so the article that wolffenstein really should do the trick.

A thread on Reddit came to the same conclusion -
https://www.reddit.com/r/xboxone/comments/4h5e8k/how_to_run_2_or_more_xbox_ones_with_open_nat_on_1/

It sounds like maybe UPnP just isn't working correctly on your router?

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?
I've never had problems using both of my Xboxes at the same time.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Internet Explorer posted:

I'd assume Xboxes are smart enough to use ephemeral ports, so the article that wolffenstein really should do the trick.

A thread on Reddit came to the same conclusion -
https://www.reddit.com/r/xboxone/comments/4h5e8k/how_to_run_2_or_more_xbox_ones_with_open_nat_on_1/

It sounds like maybe UPnP just isn't working correctly on your router?

UPnP is enabled but a few things changed between playing Fortnite a few weeks ago, and trying the Black Ops 4 beta last weekend.

Aside from playing different games, my router changed. I was on an Asus RT-AC87U, which I returned due to poor wireless performance.

I'd be willing to give another router a shot that's known to support UPnP properly. Should I just try that same Asus router again? Wired performance was fine, just wish I'd been able to test it with the BlOps beta, and I assume a replacement would work ok regarding wireless.

Armacham posted:

I've never had problems using both of my Xboxes at the same time.

What router do you use?

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Just finished setting a pi-hole up using a first gen RPI and I gotta say, this is pretty handy. Only problem setting it up was the fact that the raspian install I had sitting around was way too old to let me install it originally, but after doing a clean install it went together in just a few minutes.

apropos man
Sep 5, 2016

Dr. Despair posted:

Just finished setting a pi-hole up using a first gen RPI and I gotta say, this is pretty handy. Only problem setting it up was the fact that the raspian install I had sitting around was way too old to let me install it originally, but after doing a clean install it went together in just a few minutes.

Yeah. They've done an awesome job on the install script. It's so slick. Have a go at running
code:
pihole -up
every month, too. The update is equally well scripted.

Has anyone got encrypted DNS working with the latest version? I had mine working with cloudflared but the latest update seems to have broken it, so I've reverted back to running it standard.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

WattsvilleBlues posted:

What router do you use?

I have a Ubiquiti ER-X. I did have to enable upnp but it was just a checkbox during set up basically.

I also had success with an Airport Express and an Archer C7 previously.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.
Soooooo. apparently UK ISPs dont use PPPoE for their Modems anymore
Which is why my Unifi stuff hasnt been working for the last couple of weeks

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

That's a bit of a blanket statement

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Thanks Ants posted:

That's a bit of a blanket statement

Hmm?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

There's quite a few ISPs in the UK. Which one has stopped doing PPPoE recently? As far as I know, everything on Openreach FTTC/FTTP is using PPPoE still.

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009
Does anyone have a resource which specifies what the max transmission power is by wifi channel and by region are?

Wiki lists what channels are available by region but not all of them specify a max Tx.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Paul MaudDib posted:

Looking for a 10 GbE base-T adapter, is there any reason to prefer Intel over Aquantia?

Depends on the os. I had aquantias(aqc107) on my qnap and windows pc. The driver wasn't cooked at al, plenty of link loss event without any recourse than shutting down the pc and cutting the power at the psu level. I returned them both to get a couple of tehuti cards(with sfp dac cables) and never had any issues afterwards. If i had to pick i would go mellanox or broadcom rather than aquantia.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Thanks Ants posted:

There's quite a few ISPs in the UK. Which one has stopped doing PPPoE recently? As far as I know, everything on Openreach FTTC/FTTP is using PPPoE still.

BT, Talk Talk and a couple others that i know of, you need to use MPoA on 3rd party modems now to get them to work.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Oh right, sorry, at the modem level. I've always been able to establish a connection via PPPoE to the modem, which then uses MPoA for the link over the VDSL line.

Have you ever been able to have the modem do PPPoE, since the VDSL part of the link isn't Ethernet.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Thanks Ants posted:

Oh right, sorry, at the modem level. I've always been able to establish a connection via PPPoE to the modem, which then uses MPoA for the link over the VDSL line.

Have you ever been able to have the modem do PPPoE, since the VDSL part of the link isn't Ethernet.

Just been going off of old forum posts so mayyybe? I cant remember what my Virgin connection used to use as their modem did all the work for you.

Fwiw, Drayteks in box instructions tell you to configure their modem in PPPoE mode not MPoA, only when you dig around on their website to find their bridge mode guide does it tell you to use MPoA

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

apropos man posted:

Yeah. They've done an awesome job on the install script. It's so slick. Have a go at running
code:
pihole -up

Has anyone got encrypted DNS working with the latest version? I had mine working with cloudflared but the latest update seems to have broken it, so I've reverted back to running it standard.

I will, right after I source a new SD card since I woke up to a dead pi-hole and a screen full of block read errors.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

Ragingsheep posted:

Does anyone have a resource which specifies what the max transmission power is by wifi channel and by region are?

Wiki lists what channels are available by region but not all of them specify a max Tx.

You'll want to look into what the maximum transmit levels for the radio spectrum are, not just wifi. Since wifi operates in unlicensed spectrum in most places, the transmit levels are going to be based on the spectrum, and not wifi specific. Most places, it's the ISM bands.

In the US, it's a transmitter power of 1 watt, with a maximum EIRP of 36dbm. http://afar.net/tutorials/fcc-rules/

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

apropos man posted:

code:
pihole -up

I'm running stubby on my Pi for DNS over TLS, using Cloudflare. Works fine with the latest version of Pihole.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory
What's the best way to get internet from my house, through 2000 ft of trees and houses to my mom's house? Would 900mhz Ubiquiti gear work for this? Our neighborhood has gigabit fiber, hers does not plus she doesn't want to pay for it. I'm a good son and I like a challenge.

I probably can't put a pole up but I do have a pretty tall roof gable that's facing the correct way. The trees to the right of the red call out don't exist anymore.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

900Mhz is more likely to work than any higher frequency, it's probably not going to be great if there's buildings in the way. All you can do it try it - a pair of LocoM9 radios are the cheapest way to do this.

apropos man
Sep 5, 2016

Lambert posted:

I'm running stubby on my Pi for DNS over TLS, using Cloudflare. Works fine with the latest version of Pihole.

I remember someone mentioning stubby but I went with the easier option of installing the cloudflare daemon and routing Pi-Hole's queries through cloudflared. I'll have another look at the stubby method. Cheers.

H2SO4
Sep 11, 2001

put your money in a log cabin

Buglord

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Quoting in desperation.

Can I use any of the alternate ports selections on the Xbox to help my situation?

You're trying to break a fundamental rule of networking. You can't NAT one port/IP combo to two devices. I know the end result you want sounds frustratingly simple, but if two people are using xboxes to play games then at least one of them is very likely to have a bad time. You're at the mercy of MS and the game designers to design their networking pieces to be able to support multiple ports and try them in a failover/round robin/etc fashion.

The best thing you can do to make it as adaptable as possible is to enable UPnP. The xboxes and your router will negotiate forwarded ports as necessary/possible, but if those ports are already in use by another xbox then it will not work and you won't have open NAT. Even then you're at the mercy of your router manufacturer as there are lovely UPnP implementations out there as well.

I haven't turned on my xb1 in a while but if it does allow you to use alternate ports then you can try setting that up, but keep in mind that individual games also have their own port settings which are likely to conflict.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

is it possible to run an xbox through something like a vpn? i see articles online describing how to do this, but it would surprise me if microsoft and game companies don't block the IPs of VPN and proxy providers

H2SO4
Sep 11, 2001

put your money in a log cabin

Buglord

Lutha Mahtin posted:

is it possible to run an xbox through something like a vpn? i see articles online describing how to do this, but it would surprise me if microsoft and game companies don't block the IPs of VPN and proxy providers

That would be a worse problem, no ability to open ports coupled with lots of people trying to share a small pool of addresses. There's additional overhead in the tunneling as well.

reL
May 20, 2007

apropos man posted:

I had a few issues upgrading to 4.0. I believe with cloudflared the problem was with the guide I originally used to implement it. They had me editing dnsmasq files which were replaced as part of the upgrade.

What I wound up doing was just changing the setupVars.conf file to have 127.0.0.2#54 as server 1, and not other servers. This winds up the same as setting the upstream dns in the GUI to a custom upstream with the value 127.0.0.2#54 so I guess you could do it via the GUI as well.

apropos man
Sep 5, 2016

Ooh. Nice one. I'm out of home until late but I'll look into that tomorrow. Cheers!

headlight
Nov 4, 2003

Happy customer after following thread advice and upgrading to some better equipment.

I felt the need to show my handiwork in diagrammatic and pictorial form and holy crap I didn't realise how many wireless things are scattered about our home network (considering myself an average home user) until drawing the diagram. I even missed of a bunch of stuff like WiFi scales, some smart bulbs, guest phones etc.

Because I'm in rented I can't permanently install anything, but luckily I've managed to cram most of the stuff behind the TV so it is out of direct sight, but I can still peak round to admire my half-assed attempts at cable management. :3:

apropos man
Sep 5, 2016

Nice. Is that the 60W version of the UniFi US-8?

Mine arrived for collection at Argos this afternoon but, due to work, I won't have time to collect it until Saturday morning.

I didn't realise that they had so many flashing lights.

Not that it matters, as mine will be getting hidden inside a cabinet.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

apropos man posted:

Nice. Is that the 60W version of the UniFi US-8?

Yup. You can tell by the black bar above ports 4-8

apropos man
Sep 5, 2016

I though that, after a double-take. :)

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

All the Pi-Hole discussion got me thinking. Has anyone run the Unifi controller and Pi-hole on the same raspberry pi? If so how'd it run?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Good question. I was going to try running the controller for my tplink access points alongside pihole, so I can at least let you know how that goes.