Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who should be the Mod?
This poll is closed.
Anidav 14 0.14%
Dr Spaceman 2 0.02%
JBP 12 0.12%
bell jar 1 0.01%
GoldStandardConure 7 0.07%
Joseph Stalin 10016 99.64%
Total: 10052 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.

wagelifters

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dude McAwesome
Sep 30, 2004

Still better than a Ponytar

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-08-15/fact-check-wages-growth-coalition-labor/10079236?pfmredir=sm

ABC fact check on wage growth. Apparently wage growth over the last five years with the Libs has been on par with yearly growth under the previous Labor govt.

Wage thieving pricks. gently caress them all.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Anidav posted:

So that's Discord, Facebook Group and D&D Thread.

Like I said, you get the leaders you deserve.

Victorian renting goons, this concerns you, join the petition to get the new rental laws passed before the next election. Or they'll just backslide even more.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

hambeet posted:

changing icon and title of my thread. abuse of power!

*checks big WWSD sign on wall*

acceptable

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Starshark posted:

Andiav, can I be your first probe?

Our virginal IK

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

It was simply a mathematical error that my till is down $20 a day. As this is simply a misunderstanding I feel calling this theft and pursuing this further will be unhelpful.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

R. Guyovich posted:

*checks big WWSD sign on wall*

"Hey, what happened to poster X? They haven't been seen since Anidav was made IK"

"Never heard of that poster, they've never posted in this thread, sorry"

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Weird how the 'mathematical errors' always result in the employee getting less, but never more...

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Auspol August: Just Google the thread title to get around the paywall

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

hambeet posted:

changing icon and title of my thread. abuse of power!

now you will know the horror, beetza

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005

Anidav posted:

I promise to run this community with the accountability and transparency of Brisbane City Council.

I was indirectly employed by them for 6 months several years ago but it still sends a shudder down my spine.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mDV9Am5AlYY

Sekkira
Apr 11, 2008

I Don't Get It,
I Don't Get It,

When we had an almost linear increase in population over the last few years, how the gently caress was that projection made? Were they thinking we'd just stop immigration entirely for a few decades?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
https://twitter.com/dasharez0ne/status/1025442187054653441

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

Sekkira posted:

When we had an almost linear increase in population over the last few years, how the gently caress was that projection made? Were they thinking we'd just stop immigration entirely for a few decades?

Just out of curiosity, how many immigrants do you think Australia takes a year? Because to listen to you, it sounds like you think it's millions.

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

You can't make an Omelet without breaking a few eggs. Vote Greens.

Intoluene posted:

Or you know, actually invest in infrastructure that isn't a loving toll road for once.

I get so annoyed about this.

Actually, a report came out recently saying how much it costs to travel for the various cities (like to work and stuff).

But very few people will see this and go "huh maybe we need to increase density" or "wow, that's a bit steep, maybe we should invest in alternative modes of transport that work out cheaper for families".

I was talking to someone who worked for the road safety Commission a while back and they were saying there was a person who took twelve years to get her really good idea off the ground. Being allowed to ride your bike on the footpath in WA was put into legislation in large part due to the sheer persistence of a dedicated person at the road safety commission, apparently.

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

RIP vilerat.

Sekkira
Apr 11, 2008

I Don't Get It,
I Don't Get It,

Starshark posted:

Just out of curiosity, how many immigrants do you think Australia takes a year? Because to listen to you, it sounds like you think it's millions.

From what I understand, a little more than what we have as rising population from births over deaths. I don't know the exact figures, but if the projections were 33 years about 10 years ago and we halted immigration altogether from that point, we might have hit 25m about 3-4 years from now, a far cry from the 33 years projection.

Sekkira fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Aug 15, 2018

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
anidav, in the course of your duties as imperator of australia, i humbly implore you to remember to ask yourself the same question i ask myself before getting out of bed

what would sheev do

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

Sekkira posted:

From what I understand, a little more than what we have as rising population from births over deaths. I don't know the exact figures, but if the projections were 33 years about 10 years ago and we halted immigration altogether from that point, we might have hit 25m about 3-4 years from now, a far cry from the 33 years projection.

You're avoiding raw numbers for some reason. I'll ask again - how many immigrants do you think Australia takes a year?

And of those, how many are skilled immigrants?

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Milkfred E. Moore posted:

anidav, in the course of your duties as imperator of australia, i humbly implore you to remember to ask yourself the same question i ask myself before getting out of bed

what would Starscream do

Sekkira
Apr 11, 2008

I Don't Get It,
I Don't Get It,

Starshark posted:

You're avoiding raw numbers for some reason.

That 'some reason' is I didn't know the figures. So, looking it up, we have under 200k permanent residents (the figure I recall was 190 something thousand) and 600k temporary visas. The figure I recall for growth due to births over deaths was 160 something thousand. As for skilled, as far as I know, most of them. Because Australia has pretty strict policies on immigration.

What point are you trying to make here?

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

Sekkira posted:

That 'some reason' is I didn't know the figures. So, looking it up, we have under 200k permanent residents (the figure I recall was 190 something thousand) and 600k temporary visas. The figure I recall for growth due to births over deaths was 160 something thousand. As for skilled, as far as I know, most of them. Because Australia has pretty strict policies on immigration.

What point are you trying to make here?

The point is the immigrants we took in last year is something like 0.008 percent of the population. Tell me how that's supposed to affect infrastructure in a sane nation.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
The projections were from 20 years ago (ABS link) and were off because of a mix of increased fertility, increased lifespan and migration.

quote:

Fertility Assumptions:
Australia's total fertility rate dropped below 1.8 births per woman in 1996. The ABS has assumed that fertility will continue to decline to between 1.6 and 1.75 births per woman. Each shift in the total fertility rate of 0.1 births per woman changes the projected 2051 population by about 1 million persons.

High - The total fertility rate falls to 1.75 births per woman by 2005-06, and then remains constant.
Low - The total fertility rate falls to 1.6 births per woman in 2005-06, and then remains constant.
The total fertility rate hasn't been below 1.75 in this period, and even peaked at 2.0 in 2008.

quote:

Mortality Assumption (used for all projection series)
1994-96 mortality rates decline to the year 2005-06 according to short-term rates of decline and then by long-term rates to 2050-51. By 2051, life expectancy of males will be 82.0 years and of females 86.1 years.
We are on track to reach those figures by 2030

quote:

Overseas Migration Assumptions:
High - Annual net overseas migration gain of 90,000 from 1998-99.
Low - Annual net overseas migration gain of 70,000 from 1998-99.
Again, the estimates were very low. The ABS also changed the way net overseas migration was calculated in 2006, resulting in a significant increase to the figures.

Sekkira
Apr 11, 2008

I Don't Get It,
I Don't Get It,

Starshark posted:

The point is the immigrants we took in last year is something like 0.008 percent of the population. Tell me how that's supposed to affect infrastructure in a sane nation.

Well, any increase of the population will affect infrastructure. Even a single person will affect it. By an incredibly small margin, but still an effect.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

I thought the main problem with immigration at the moment is how 80%> of them go to Sydney or Melbourne and other cities want to benefit from such population growth too. However I don't know if the solution is to send them all to Bundaberg because they would plausibly just move to Sydney or Melbourne as soon as they're allowed to. The real solution here is to not make other cities such shitholes but in QLD especially the Council's are stacked with corrupt fucks who don't really care to grow or improve their dominion. Just collect and raise rates or in the case of Ipswich become a literal garbage dump.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
tens of thousands flee anidav’s reign of terror

debate over

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

Sekkira posted:

Well, any increase of the population will affect infrastructure. Even a single person will affect it. By an incredibly small margin, but still an effect.

Uh, no not really.

Sekkira
Apr 11, 2008

I Don't Get It,
I Don't Get It,

Anidav posted:

I thought the main problem with immigration at the moment is how 80%> of them go to Sydney or Melbourne and other cities want to benefit from such population growth too. However I don't know if the solution is to send them all to Bundaberg because they would plausibly just move to Sydney or Melbourne as soon as they're allowed to. The real solution here is to not make other cities such shitholes but in QLD especially the Council's are stacked with corrupt fucks who don't really care to grow or improve their dominion. Just collect and raise rates or in the case of Ipswich become a literal garbage dump.

Pretty much what I understand, yeah.

The talk about having immigrants settle in the more rural places where skilled work is needed I think is going to create problems and solve little. Immigration to the big cities isn't causing the problems other cities and rural areas have - the need for skilled workers. That's not an immigration problem.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Anidav posted:

yeah they do. i know for a fact that it's quite trivial to get around the shev visa restrictions regarding working or studying in regional australia, with the main reason being that while it's easy for them to study in regional victoria, there's gently caress all work so they all end up back in melbourne

Sekkira
Apr 11, 2008

I Don't Get It,
I Don't Get It,

Starshark posted:

Uh, no not really.

You asked how it would affect infrastructure as if 2000 people would have zero impact.

Also, according to this we took in 185.5k permanent residents. Significantly more than 0.008% of the population.

That's thousands of houses being used, more electricity, water and gas being used. That isn't a 'no not really' impact. You're looking at a few suburbs there.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

i thought he was talking about your 'one person effect'

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

Milkfred E. Moore posted:

what would sheev do

make it legal

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

I think Kevin Rudd tried to help this issue by setting up a special economic zone in Northern Australia but Tony got in and morphed it into a coal mining tax break.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

auspol poster shenanigans had a solution iirc

Sekkira
Apr 11, 2008

I Don't Get It,
I Don't Get It,

hambeet posted:

i thought he was talking about your 'one person effect'

340 litres of water used per person on average. From what I could find on a quick search, somewhere between 7kWh per person per day to 14.8kWh per person per day from America, though, so I'd err on the side of lowballing it.

I mean, sure it's not a very large effect on water use and electricity grid in comparison. But it isn't nothing.

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

Sekkira posted:

You asked how it would affect infrastructure as if 2000 people would have zero impact.

Also, according to this we took in 185.5k permanent residents. Significantly more than 0.008% of the population.

That's thousands of houses being used, more electricity, water and gas being used. That isn't a 'no not really' impact. You're looking at a few suburbs there.

Sorry, 0.8%. In 100 years, the population still won't double.

And 'a few suburbs' in an area as large as Australia is insignificant. Is there a class you can take to learn proportionality?

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

Sekkira posted:

340 litres of water used per person on average. From what I could find on a quick search, somewhere between 7kWh per person per day to 14.8kWh per person per day from America, though, so I'd err on the side of lowballing it.

I mean, sure it's not a very large effect on water use and electricity grid in comparison. But it isn't nothing.

We would'a survived the drought if it weren't for that 340 litres.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

which starscream are we talking here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Starshark posted:

Sorry, 0.8%. In 100 years, the population still won't double.

And 'a few suburbs' in an area as large as Australia is insignificant. Is there a class you can take to learn proportionality?

Suburbs in an area as large as Australia is insignificant.

Suburbs in an area the size of Sydney and Melbourne not so much.

• Locked thread