Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

Sadly euphro took you seriously because he refuses to read this thread as outta depressing.

Sadly? Amazingly.

Also, now that almost all of us have jobs, this thread is way less depressing. We basically get to dunk on people dumb enough to go to law school in YOL 2018.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Vox Nihili posted:

NPOF, do they have same-sex marriage in Norway? Asking for a friend. I'm 1/16 Norwegian btw, but could easily pass as 1/8. My friend, I mean, is, and could.

We absolutely do, full marriage equality and I accept your proposal, we can get hitched in the spring :3:

We actually have gameshows for people who are 1/16 norwegian. I already have a norwegian name for you, it's «Knut».

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

nm posted:

Sadly? Amazingly.

Also, now that almost all of us have jobs, this thread is way less depressing. We basically get to dunk on people dumb enough to go to law school in YOL 2018.

Tbh I've always thought he found it depressing because everyone here is doing better than him.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Alexeythegreat posted:

I already have a Swedish LLM and no, Swedish firms don't care. European firms that aren't Beiten Burkhardt are in the same position, just scaled down a bit. Or a lot.

A US/UK LLM won't be quite that useless, but it won't be of much help either. As I said, these firms simply never have openings, and that won't change until the inevitable paradigm shift that will happen when Putin dies or gets too old to have control over anything. Assuming that the shift will be for the better, which isn't a given

Well, it's not so strange swedish firms don't care much as an LLM wouldn't normally be enough to practice law as a jurist. As far as I know, the swedes have all kinds of silly ideas. I didn't even know they offered LLMs.

How did you come to study law in Sweden anyway? Regardless, there has to be some opportunity for you to aquire rights to practice in the EU at least. Have you considered Finland? I believe they have LLMs, speak swedish, have vodka, are part of the EU and are nearby to you.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."

Soothing Vapors posted:

I was never going to post again (I really just wanted to post "common law means it's for the common man") but I am weak and lack discipline

And that’s why Josie wouldn’t sleep with you. She needs a man with enough drive to get out of the goddamn hinterlands.

Seriously though. A++ trolling. It’s just enough to be funny without tipping your hand. A work of art really.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.

ActusRhesus posted:

Seriously though. A++ trolling. It’s just enough to be funny without tipping your hand. A work of art really.

It didn't really get the reaction I hoped was coming when I first read it. Just one dude asking if he got whooshed and Euph.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
Ok, has anyone ever in all their years of civil practice seen a paid, private process server straight up lie about service on their return?

I swear to god I'm looking at the return, and it says, "date, time, location" and its literally 100% false - not even, "he got one detail wrong" false, and of course the guy says he's never been served in his life, but he wasn't even in town that day and can prove it, and the location he says he served him at was closed at the alleged time of service, and we can prove it.

Its the first time I've ever seen something like this.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

blarzgh posted:

Ok, has anyone ever in all their years of civil practice seen a paid, private process server straight up lie about service on their return?

I swear to god I'm looking at the return, and it says, "date, time, location" and its literally 100% false - not even, "he got one detail wrong" false, and of course the guy says he's never been served in his life, but he wasn't even in town that day and can prove it, and the location he says he served him at was closed at the alleged time of service, and we can prove it.

lawsuits over consumer debt are notorious for doing this, using process servers who will just lie and throw out the complaint so that you get a default judgment

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Nice piece of fish posted:

We absolutely do, full marriage equality and I accept your proposal, we can get hitched in the spring :3:

We actually have gameshows for people who are 1/16 norwegian. I already have a norwegian name for you, it's «Knut».

Finally, so glad the awkward stage is behind us.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

blarzgh posted:

One time a process server said in his affidavit and return that he obtained domiciliary service on my client by serving his mother at XXX address.

Here is the law:

La. C.C.P. art. 1234 posted:

Domiciliary service is made when a proper officer leaves the citation or other process at the dwelling house or usual place of abode of the person to be served with a person of suitable age and discretion residing in the domiciliary establishment.

On my motion to dismiss, I introduced affidavits from the mother and my client that said (a) the address was my client's grandfather's, (b) mom lives in Vermont and was only there visiting for two weeks to care for her father, who was sick; (c) my client has never lived at that address and neither has mom; and (d) the process server rang the doorbell and asked, "do you know [Phil's client]?" when mom said "Yes, I'm his mom," he handed her the citation.

Judge denied my motion to dismiss.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

blarzgh posted:

Yeah, it happened way too often with Chicagoland foreclosure cases. It's more common with substitute service but can just be garbage on individual as well. Usually the time and place is right but they just hand it to some random dude and say that was the defendant who looks vastly different because they never check id

Although once my old firm had a file where the guy who got served was a brother (who was visiting) with the same first middle and last name. They both came to court apparently to tell the judge service was bad and it was like well poo poo, how was the server supposed to know

mastershakeman fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Aug 15, 2018

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, my return says, "Personal Service" on "[Individual]". So substituted service, no posting, no room for interpretation, and I can't believe it by the dude literally wasn't there.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."
Whelp.

Motion for sanctions against me dismissed without argument. Better luck next time.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

blarzgh posted:

Yeah, my return says, "Personal Service" on "[Individual]". So substituted service, no posting, no room for interpretation, and I can't believe it by the dude literally wasn't there.

Server could've gone to the wrong house, happens often enough.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

mastershakeman posted:

Server could've gone to the wrong house, happens often enough.

I guess, but its a standalone business, and the words, "________________ AUTO DEALERSHIP" appear right there on the petition.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

ActusRhesus posted:

Whelp.

Motion for sanctions against me dismissed without argument. Better luck next time.

Nice

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

ActusRhesus posted:

Whelp.

Justice delayed is justice denied.

Tipps
Apr 18, 2006

party in the front

business in the back

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

Tbh I've always thought he found it depressing because everyone here is doing better than him.

We played wow together for about a year and he was doing pretty well, having gotten a job as a tribunal judge or something. He quit wow though because he didn't want to be a 40yo wow-playing dad. An unacceptable move that left us a healer short mid raid tier.

He was the one who convinced me to move north, too. Every day where I'm not the lovely brokebrains mess I was in Vancouver from my previous garbage job is thanks to him. :hf:

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Vox Nihili posted:

Finally, so glad the awkward stage is behind us.

I'm sorry, but you'll find that the awkward stage as a norwegian starts at birth and then it deteriorates from there. Forever.

blarzgh posted:

That's weird. We have a municipal arbitration council which is a non-law first tier (often mandatory) step before you can file a case with the courts. Like a pro se bonanza. It fucks up everything, all the time. The best part is that it is immune to procedural objections (because they are all idiot lay people and don't know and can't follow civil procedure) and they serve people by simple mail. Yeah, they send you a letter and if you don't get it, sucks to be you because then they have an unlimited ability to render summary judgement against you. Whupsy! And every mail fuckup is considered a procedural issue. Which you can't do anything about except file a full lawsuit within a month of judgement. Which you might not know about.

I hate them so much.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

I shall devour your soul.
Grimey Drawer

That's weird. We have a municipal arbitration council which is a non-law first tier (often mandatory) step before you can file a case with the courts. Like a pro se bonanza. It fucks up everything, all the time. The best part is that it is immune to procedural objections (because they are all idiot lay people and don't know and can't follow civil procedure) and they serve people by simple mail. Yeah, they send you a letter and if you don't get it, sucks to be you because then they have an unlimited ability to render summary judgement against you. Whupsy! And every mail fuckup is considered a procedural issue. Which you can't do anything about except file a full lawsuit within a month of judgement. Which you might not know about.

I hate them so much.

Russian courts serve by mail only and the burden to receive the letter is upon the recipient. It's literally just a special category of mail

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

I shall devour your soul.
Grimey Drawer

Well, it's not so strange swedish firms don't care much as an LLM wouldn't normally be enough to practice law as a jurist. As far as I know, the swedes have all kinds of silly ideas. I didn't even know they offered LLMs.

How did you come to study law in Sweden anyway? Regardless, there has to be some opportunity for you to aquire rights to practice in the EU at least. Have you considered Finland? I believe they have LLMs, speak swedish, have vodka, are part of the EU and are nearby to you.

I went to study investment law and commercial arbitration in hopes of getting into the SCC Arbitration Institute legal department or, failing that, a different, probably Russian, arbitration institution (that was slightly before the massive arbitration reform that left only a few of them intact). My plans A - D didn't work, practicing at a law firm was my plan E back when :v:

To practice in the EU I'd have to first learn a language enough to read the law of the country of choice and then read the law of the country of choice, education requirements for their respective bar associations notwithstanding. That PhD that I talked about is actually an excuse to finally bring my French to fluent level and get admitted to practice in that country, whose law conveniently happens to be somewhat popular

What holds me back the most is the strength of my passport

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.
Have you considered become a dissident and then seeking asylum

I assume this is a valid thing to do in Russia

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

EwokEntourage posted:

Have you considered become a dissident and then seeking asylum

I assume this is a valid thing to do in Russia

Ah, yes, with Russia's well known respect for dissident asylees in the west!

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Alexeythegreat posted:

I went to study investment law and commercial arbitration in hopes of getting into the SCC Arbitration Institute legal department or, failing that, a different, probably Russian, arbitration institution (that was slightly before the massive arbitration reform that left only a few of them intact). My plans A - D didn't work, practicing at a law firm was my plan E back when :v:

To practice in the EU I'd have to first learn a language enough to read the law of the country of choice and then read the law of the country of choice, education requirements for their respective bar associations notwithstanding. That PhD that I talked about is actually an excuse to finally bring my French to fluent level and get admitted to practice in that country, whose law conveniently happens to be somewhat popular

What holds me back the most is the strength of my passport

I have classmates here who did undergrad law back in the home country, did the LSAT well enough and had a compelling enough story to come to the US on a full ride scholarship, and in turn do well enough to get into V100 biglaw, at least into the program where they can send you back to the home country satellite office if your H1B visa doesn't come through the first time.

I think you have a pretty compelling story and also being an actual real life lawyer in Russia seems pretty cool from a law school admissions perspective. You sound qualified enough to get into at least a T25 school on a full ride scholarship, law firms here have enough people from a Russian/ fUSSR background that networking should be easy, and fluency in French and Russian has got to be a nice perk. Why not try doing an LSAT? The cost of an LSAT and some law school applications is a fairly minimal investment to explore that possiblity, that's how I ended up here.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Throatwarbler posted:

Why not try doing an LSAT? The cost of an LSAT and some law school applications is a fairly minimal investment to explore that possiblity, that's how I ended up here.

why not post the emails?

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

blarzgh posted:

I guess, but its a standalone business, and the words, "________________ AUTO DEALERSHIP" appear right there on the petition.

Please tell me it wasn't my office. We sue lots of dealers.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Class action firm is bringing me a case file for a PI case to look over tomorrow and see if it’s worth taking on the client. My assumption is they’ll have me pursue the claim if so. I still haven’t heard anything from them regarding pay yet, but I’m sure we’ll hash that out in the morning when I talk to them.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Throatwarbler posted:

I have classmates here who did undergrad law back in the home country, did the LSAT well enough and had a compelling enough story to come to the US on a full ride scholarship, and in turn do well enough to get into V100 biglaw, at least into the program where they can send you back to the home country satellite office if your H1B visa doesn't come through the first time.

I think you have a pretty compelling story and also being an actual real life lawyer in Russia seems pretty cool from a law school admissions perspective. You sound qualified enough to get into at least a T25 school on a full ride scholarship, law firms here have enough people from a Russian/ fUSSR background that networking should be easy, and fluency in French and Russian has got to be a nice perk. Why not try doing an LSAT? The cost of an LSAT and some law school applications is a fairly minimal investment to explore that possiblity, that's how I ended up here.

You don't get to give advice

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

You don't get to give advice

Unless someone asks “how do I get myself a slave?”

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://twitter.com/simonamangiante/status/1029883883616169984

folks,

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Look Sir Droids posted:

Unless someone asks “how do I get myself a slave?”

Or figuring out what grade of Mischling you are

Hoshi
Jan 20, 2013

:wrongcity:

Oh boy the exposure tactic

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!
I just don't understand how these Trump fuckwits can be poor. It's almost as infuriating as the ones who will never be poor.

Hoshi
Jan 20, 2013

:wrongcity:

Discendo Vox posted:

I just don't understand how these Trump fuckwits can be poor. It's almost as infuriating as the ones who will never be poor.

They're Trump fuckwits because they're broke

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014
Yeah, growing up in Mississippi it was always frustrating to see poor whites vote against their interests without fail, then I made it out just in time to see the whole country become Mississippi. Thanks.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Nonexistence posted:

Yeah, growing up in Mississippi it was always frustrating to see poor whites vote against their interests without fail, then I made it out just in time to see the whole country become Mississippi. Thanks.

Ah I see you left Mississippi in 1976,80,84,88,92,96,2000,04,08,12, and 16

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

sincx fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Mar 23, 2021

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?
Y'all need to read Hillbilly Elegy. Having grown up in a rural area, it explains it pretty well.

Poor white people do not want to hear about trans issues, gay rights, minorities, and feminism. Nor do they want to be told how stupid they are, how racist they are, how sexist they are, and how enlightened their betters in government and other positions of leadership are.

Liberalism, especially the form presented online, is frightening to them, because most of it is babbling about rights for people they'll never meet, while completely disparaging the rural and poor as some sort of racist, monstrous others.

They see Bernie Sanders as voting money to entitled, spoiled college kids, while their own kids can't find jobs after high school.

They're going to vote against their interests for so long as liberals are too stupid to sound like they care about their interests.

SlyFrog fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Aug 16, 2018

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

SlyFrog posted:

Y'all need to read Hillbilly Elegy. Having grown up in a rural area, it explains it pretty well.

Poor white people do not want to hear about trans issues, gay rights, minorities, and feminism. Nor do they want to be told how stupid they are, how racist they are, how sexist they are, and how enlightened their betters in government and other positions of leadership are.

They're going to vote against their interests for so long as liberals are too stupid to sound like they care about their interests.

yeah that is probably true, but when forced to choose between them and all women, minorities, gays, and any other minority they hate, gonna wind up deciding they can get hosed rather than deciding that it's time women had enough rights

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?

evilweasel posted:

yeah that is probably true, but when forced to choose between them and all women, minorities, gays, and any other minority they hate, gonna wind up deciding they can get hosed rather than deciding that it's time women had enough rights

It's not either/or. It's how much time is given discussing the one, versus the other.

In their eyes, liberals are hyper-focused on the rights of people who make up roughly 1-5% of the population (yes, I recognize minorities are a larger percentage of the population, but not where these people are from), and do not give a poo poo about the bulk of America. That they are hyper-focused on edge cases like some wedding cake shop in Ohio, when millions are in agony for basic reasons of economics, health care, etc. In fact, I think they believe (not entirely without some justification) that liberals are actively condescending and patronizing toward the bulk of America. It's really hard to vote for people that essentially sneer at you.

I genuinely do not think that the bulk of these people hate gays, transgendered, and minorities. I think they primarily don't give a gently caress, and wonder why so much time is spent on figuring out which bathrooms people can use when they can't get decent paying jobs and are dying en masse from poor health care, drug epidemics, etc., and are seeing their purchasing power just get destroyed by growing wealth inequality. The difference is, to them, wealth inequality is solved magically by giving them more opportunities, rather than taking something from those who already have.

I essentially think both sides have a caricature of the other side in mind when they think about the other side, rather than actually understanding them. The difference is, I think that liberals do it too (even though they think they don't), where they think every rural person and every conservative voter is a hillbilly with 50 guns who beats his wife every night before dragging a gay guy behind a pickup truck.

I do think a lot of these people really are blind to the notion that the reason they are not doing better is because the businesses that are paying them to work are siphoning the bulk of their earnings to wealthy investors, instead of to the employees who actually do the work. I think liberals could do a better job of pointing that out - that someone at McDonalds is making $10 an hour for grueling work, while investors get rich from passive income. Instead, they seem to focus on wealth inequality in a vacuum, without adequately explaining how it occurs, and it just looks like "Take money from that guy, he's got it."

Anyway, with regards to the poor who voted for Trump, I'm not saying it's right (in fact, I don't think it's right, I think they are actually harming themselves), I'm saying it's what they think. They do not think they're voting against their own interests. They think they've voting for someone who at least talks about bringing their jobs back, etc. instead of talking about loan forgiveness for those drat spoiled college kids from the coasts.

SlyFrog fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Aug 16, 2018