Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
even dogecoin is feeling the pinch. its backed by ironic internet-irl interaction which is apparently at an all-time low

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

divabot posted:

precisely this has happened with Bitmain and BCH!!

tl;dr they mined so much BCH they can't actually cash it out without crashing the price

and they can't stop mining BCH because then it'll get a 51% attack and the price will crash

What even is BCH? I know it's Bitcoin cash or whatever but what makes it different from Bitcoin?

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

Heath posted:

What even is BCH? I know it's Bitcoin cash or whatever but what makes it different from Bitcoin?

It is the purest form of Satoshi's vision.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Burt Sexual posted:

So my friend that's into eurithem or whatever must be really sad right now. He brings it up everytime he sees me around town how well its doing and how much he's made.

:wrong: this is the perfect time to buy more to maximize future profits

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Waltzing Along posted:

Did Ham Sandwiches disappear again? I know he was here when the price had gone up a bit. Still want to see that posting graph v. BTC price.

Uhh, when you feel like digging through the thread and reposting it you'll get to see it again, it was posted a while back.

Can you explain to me what you're trying to say with this claim over and over again. My last post in the thread was like a few weeks ago, the price was going up at the time, but get this: I didn't time my post around that. And now that the price is going down, why do you like to pretend it requires me to post :psyduck:

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Heath posted:

a forked version of Bitcoin, but this fork had backing from Jihan Wu of Bitman, and Roger Ver and bitcoin.com (and @bitcoin on twitter) heavily promoting it

nobody cares, so Jihan and Bitmain are sorta stuck

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

divabot posted:

a forked version of Bitcoin, but this fork had backing from Jihan Wu of Bitman, and Roger Ver and bitcoin.com (and @bitcoin on twitter) heavily promoting it

nobody cares, so Jihan and Bitmain are sorta stuck

So BCH is the Verified one?

Also how many forks are there at this point?

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Ham Sandwiches posted:

Uhh, when you feel like digging through the thread and reposting it you'll get to see it again, it was posted a while back.

Can you explain to me what you're trying to say with this claim over and over again. My last post in the thread was like a few weeks ago, the price was going up at the time, but get this: I didn't time my post around that. And now that the price is going down, why do you like to pretend it requires me to post :psyduck:

Yeah, everyone knows you only post when the price is going up.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

mojo1701a posted:

So BCH is the Verified one?

Also how many forks are there at this point?

I'm glad you asked!

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Lambert posted:

Yeah, everyone knows you only post when the price is going up.

This thread lives in a weird place where other posters talking about how often I post for a year is not a derail, and not posting about bitcoins or anything like that. But me pointing out they're full of poo poo - well that is a derail, so I guess it's ok that you guys make up whatever you want because I'm not allowed to respond to it :)

I haven't posted in GBS in 6 weeks. I'm not about to start posting in GBS again because the price dropped. I do find it annoying that people like straight making poo poo up, but then again, it's the exact same crew that pulled that clever game before to get a dude banned ;)

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

Tag yourself. I'm Bitcoin God

Satchel and Trunk
Nov 4, 2008

Ham Sandwiches posted:

I haven't posted in GBS in 6 weeks. I'm not about to start posting in GBS again because the price dropped.

He said to himself as he clicked the "Post" button.

Blade Runner
Aug 14, 2015

Ham Sandwiches posted:

This thread lives in a weird place where other posters talking about how often I post for a year is not a derail, and not posting about bitcoins or anything like that. But me pointing out they're full of poo poo - well that is a derail, so I guess it's ok that you guys make up whatever you want because I'm not allowed to respond to it :)

I haven't posted in GBS in 6 weeks. I'm not about to start posting in GBS again because the price dropped. I do find it annoying that people like straight making poo poo up, but then again, it's the exact same crew that pulled that clever game before to get a dude banned ;)

The vast majority of your argument for ages was literally just "number go up!!!" so it is conspicuous that you avoid posting when number go down, yes

Perhaps if several people have noticed this independently, it's just a thing you do that you don't like acknowledging because it makes you look bad

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Ham Sandwiches posted:

Everyone wants you to post more when the price is going down because you're one of the few true believers and it's always funny

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

Please. He only just admitted it in his last post. Stop making it all up

Ham Sandwiches posted:

I haven't posted in GBS in 6 weeks. I'm not about to start posting in GBS again because the price dropped.

Slightly Absurd
Mar 22, 2004

cryptos are good because of reasons. Nobody is buying bread with bitcoin because ???

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
Enough with the Ham derail/callout. Post about bitcoins.

Sashimi
Dec 26, 2008

College Slice

Slightly Absurd posted:

cryptos are good because of reasons. Nobody is buying bread with bitcoin because ???
Because bread stops going up as soon as it leaves the oven.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Motherfucker.

Is there a graphic timeline of them so I can see which fork begat whom?

And this was supposed to somehow replace currency. One single internet currency... except not.

Satchel and Trunk
Nov 4, 2008
Hello fellow coiners! Can I interest you in our latest Breadcoin ICO? Guaranteed to always be piping hot from the oven and go UP, UP, UP!

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

This is like one place to get the best named bitcoins:
Bitcoin Lambo, Bitcoin Holocaust, Bitcoin Candy (eww), Bitcoin Coral, etc.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
Showdown at the Bitcoin Corral

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Satchel and Trunk posted:

Hello fellow coiners! Can I interest you in our latest Breadcoin ICO? Guaranteed to always be piping hot from the oven and go UP, UP, UP!

The dough doubled in size the first half hour, so we can extrapolate that in mere days it will have engulfed the entire universe!

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
https://twitter.com/ButtCoin/status/1029356067027906560

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

Heath posted:

Bitcoin only has two megabytes of transactions every ten minutes. This means there can only be about seven transactions per second in the whole world. There is no way bitcoin can become the global currency if there are only seven transactions per second in the whole world. After years of trying to get the community (and more importantly the miners) to support increasing bitcoin's blocksize some people gave up and did a hard fork to create Bitcoin Cash which had eight megabyte blocks (now thirty-two). So everyone who owned bitcoin on August 1st 2017 (the arbitrary point at which they decided to fork the bitcoin blockchain) suddenly became the owner of an equivalent number of Bitcoin Cash coins.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
It looks like BCH has suffered a lot more than the rest of it. The cash was over 1000 even a couple of months ago, and now it's under half of that.

Rufio
Feb 6, 2003

I'm smart! Not like everybody says... like dumb... I'm smart and I want respect!
Dunning Krugerands

motorocker
Dec 23, 2013

Soiled Meat
im here to learn about bitcoin. i heard the blockchain is the new internet. also it is money.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

motorocker posted:

im here to learn about bitcoin. i heard the blockchain is the new internet. also it is money.

shhh if you tell everyone the government will be decentralised away

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I heard hackers can turn my blockchain into a bomb! :ohdear:

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Worker nodes of the world, unite! You have nothing to lose but your blockchains!

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
There is a time when the operation of the blockchain becomes so odious, makes you so sick at heart, that you can't take part. You can't even passively take part!

You’ve gotta put your bodies on the servers yo.

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

BOY DO I SURE ENJOY TRASH. THERE'S NOTHING MORE I LOVE THAN TO SIT DOWN IN FRONT OF THE BIG SCREEN AND EAT A BIIIIG STEAMY BOWL OF SHIT. WARNER BROS CAN COME OVER TO MY HOUSE AND ASSFUCK MY MOM WHILE I WATCH AND I WOULD CERTIFY IT FRESH, NO QUESTION
i hate bitcoin so dang much!!

Hillary 2024
Nov 13, 2016

by vyelkin

What a clusterfuck.

Hillary 2024
Nov 13, 2016

by vyelkin

wilderthanmild posted:

Tag yourself. I'm Bitcoin God

I'm Bitcoin Clashic

Sashimi
Dec 26, 2008

College Slice
Their FAQ is a good read.

quote:

Is this free money?
Yes, it is! A number of these coins have achieved some level of price support and these coins may be bought or sold on some cryptocurrency exchanges.

Why would anyone give me free money?
There are many reasons and each project is different. In general terms, it works to the benefit of the project by bringing attention from owners of coins on the original chain and incentivise them to participate in the new project by giving them a financial stake.

Are these projects legit?
Well, that depends on what your definition of 'legit' is. At this point, a subset of projects have an established a track record and have gotten their tokens traded on exchanges with high thresholds of acceptance. This set is likely to grow over time.

Are these tokens any good?
It is not our place to say. Please evaluate each project on its own software delivery, communication, track record and other criteria and come to your own conclusions.

What is 'replay protection'?
This is a specific piece of code that ideally each forked project's software should implement that makes transactions for its chain invalid on all other chains. Not every project does this correctly, so the reality exists that spending coins on one chain may inadvertently have the side effect of spending coins on another chain.

jjack229
Feb 14, 2008
Articulate your needs. I'm here to listen.

Sashimi posted:

Their FAQ is a good read.

FAQ posted:

What is 'replay protection'?
This is a specific piece of code that ideally each forked project's software should implement that makes transactions for its chain invalid on all other chains. Not every project does this correctly, so the reality exists that spending coins on one chain may inadvertently have the side effect of spending coins on another chain.

I hope that this works exactly the way I understand it based solely on the FAQ. This is ridiculous.

Risc1911
Mar 1, 2016

Fuzz1111 posted:

Yeah this exact scam was discussed in this thread a while back, yours actually reads like it might be written by the same guy who wrote the one I got, only he's put a bit more effort into making it sound believable.

I made sure they at least lose their domain they were sending the mails from

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

is it time to buy yet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

poverty goat posted:

is it time to buy yet?

Answer me these questions three