Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

The longest game I ever had was actually as Axum and while it was definitely relatively fun I felt kinda crammed into a boring part of the map. I really like the idea of the Charlemagne DLC but it feels like there's almost too much going on, ditto with the last roman. I've never tried a horde faction before, really. They frustrated the hell outta me in Warhammer but that was largely because Chaos has a lovely unit roster.

Maybe I'll try Himyar since they're positioned ever-so-slightly differently than Axum but have similar spice access. First, though, I'll see if the horde game is more fun as the Huns than as Chaos, which I suspect it will be, because I'm much more into history than I am into the warhammer universe broadly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

I just really hope 3K doesn't have the garbage-looking melee of the Empire-through-Britannia engine. Warhammer was just such a breath of fresh air after the doofy-looking bowling pin people bouncing off each other.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

I think my Grand Campaign as Carthage got bugged: there was 1 kid born into the royal family. And now some other recruited guy is the only one on the family tree. I've got lucky with the first civil war, since a turn before the experienced stack that rebelled was in a huge battle, and the other was a halfstack fleet. And the two towns that rebelled were next to two loyal armies that made short work of them. That leaves me with 2 factions that are at -8 and -16, with 5 stacks between them against 3 of mine. Fun.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
So I decided to see when the gently caress Imperial Splendour is coming or when they are done with the Revolutionary Era. Turns out one of the new developers is planning on adding his slave trade mod to help with the economy mechanics with a future update.

Yeaaaah, time to find a new ETW mod....

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Plan Z posted:

I just really hope 3K doesn't have the garbage-looking melee of the Empire-through-Britannia engine. Warhammer was just such a breath of fresh air after the doofy-looking bowling pin people bouncing off each other.

I've got close to 100 hours in Warhammer 1 and I probably ought to try more factions than just the Empire or Bretonnia, but a well-executed cavalry charge is so goddamn satisfying I can't bring myself to play anyone else.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

I mess around as Tares and tarantine peltasts are no joke holy poo poo

Archaeology Hat
Aug 10, 2009

SeanBeansShako posted:

So I decided to see when the gently caress Imperial Splendour is coming or when they are done with the Revolutionary Era. Turns out one of the new developers is planning on adding his slave trade mod to help with the economy mechanics with a future update.

Yeaaaah, time to find a new ETW mod....

Well I guess the slave trade did happen in that period and I’m sure they’ll have a nuanced...

Why do mods always inevitably turn into an enormous shitshow?

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

I'm sure they'll approach and treat the subject with a manner of respect or dig-gently caress no I can't finish this. A shame too because the mod had some nice soldier mans.

I guess I'll just play one of the other awkward halfway mods never finished and see if they work? man, I am sad the 1800's guy's mod is still in beta.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Plan Z posted:

It would be really clever of them if they tweaked the mass physics in "Romance" mode to be closer to Warhammer while "Classic" mode was closer to the historical titles. Romance mode really should feel like "Dynasty Warriors: The RTS"

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Sifting through Reddit being mad about one of their moderators to find this gem:

quote:

Please forgive the wall of test however One slightly conservative strategy which I would recommend would be the perfidious Albion where you essentially try and imitate what the British historical did the strategy goes as fallows. You can't beat boney militarily early on so instead you should focus on your economy for the first turns of the game, essentially you use you proximity to the northern trade routes to virtually monopolise northern trade to Europe by spamming trade ships. the money gained by trade should be used to do the following, build more economic buildings to make even more money, build a few elite armies ( I would recommend 4 arty 4 cavalry 2 light and the rest line) to free the continent and bribe every nation you can to fight the French. militarily start the game by forming your small armies Into one large army and one small one whilst your smaller ships should blockade French ports and your larger ones should be grouped into a death stack under nelson to beat the french fleet under Villeneuve which will always sally out and try to attack your fleets in the Channel. Meanwhile back to your two armies the larger one should be sent to holland so your can force them to become your protectorate ( note I said protectorate not occupy as if you do you will be faced with a rebellion and then will be swamped in French armies marching through Belgium) the purpose of the expedition is it automatically eliminates the not inconsiderable dutch fleet as well as provides you with more trade, the second army should be sent to reinforce Gibraltar as it will be useful for the next part of the strategy. Once should have gotten naval supremacy, built large armies and turned Europe against the French you can withdraw your victories Belgian army to England so that you can begin phase two of the strategy the invasion of Spain. Spain is the soft underbelly of Napoleon's alliance and they will typically only muster 1 to 2 the armies you have been building with your trade money will then land in Andalusia from where they will march on Madrid and Catalonia to knock Spain out of the war. once this is done your armies will march into France from the south taking the border cities and once France has moved her main armies south a small army can easily land and take Brittany and Normandy. After you defeat the initial French counterattacks you can simply march into Paris and cripple the French army beyond repair after that you will simply have to take the few poorly garrisoned towns which remain in French hands ( remember to take Corsica ) and the war is won. I warn you that this strategy may take some time as it is somewhat geared towards roleplaying but otherwise good luck and have fun.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

ninjahedgehog posted:

I've got close to 100 hours in Warhammer 1 and I probably ought to try more factions than just the Empire or Bretonnia, but a well-executed cavalry charge is so goddamn satisfying I can't bring myself to play anyone else.

Definitely check Vampire Counts: putting Crypt Horrors in a side of enemy units tied down by some cheapo Zombies is amazing. Their cav is not bad too.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Orcs always and forever. watch Grimgor kill entire armies and heroes all by himself.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

I'm bad at these games.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

I guess that Napoleon was more interested farming in Corsica.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Oh the subject of bad traits, what determines if they're obtained or not? Is there some math involved or is it just RNG each time the game sees you haven't moved your general in a while? I get really paranoid about that stuff since in Shogun 2, I can go about 10+ turns without some sort of warfare happening and I just march my generals around until they run out of movement.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

SeanBeansShako posted:

I guess that Napoleon was more interested farming in Corsica.

In that time he got obsessed with logistics but hated the sight of blood.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

CharlestheHammer posted:

In that time he got obsessed with logistics but hated the sight of blood.

Napoleon spent the early years of the Revolution on half pay trying to get his dead dads farm out of debt dealing with the Corsican mob. I am not joking.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Frog Act posted:

What is everyone's favorite Attila faction? My brother bought me the game with all its expansions ages ago and I've put in about 60 hours but just can't get into it (those were like 10 hour games each, I think, I never got far). I mostly had trouble with the systems that add so much variety in production chains and food, as well as religion - the Charlemagne campaign as the Spanish was pretty hard for me to get a hang of and I gave up.

I've played all the other games in the series, mostly M2 and WH/WH2 and Shogun 2, for hundreds of hours each, but something about Attila doesn't click. I know its objectively regarded as pretty much the Napoleon to Empire and I loved Napoleon a lot for its smaller size and greater sophistication.

I'm thinking maybe the Lakhmids? I want to try something unique that isn't too huge to begin with. I was trying the various Russian factions but they're so loving spread out doing anything took forever and I gave up.

I never managed to enjoy Attila I just don't think it's very good at all.

WRE or ERE are interesting though if you can stand the turn times on the grand campaign. Avars are kinda fun in Charlemagne if not.

Overall I think it's easily the weakest of the modern TWs though.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Jimbot posted:

Oh the subject of bad traits, what determines if they're obtained or not? Is there some math involved or is it just RNG each time the game sees you haven't moved your general in a while? I get really paranoid about that stuff since in Shogun 2, I can go about 10+ turns without some sort of warfare happening and I just march my generals around until they run out of movement.

I know some buildings increase probability of getting a trait, so park your generals far away from cities with lots of booze and hookers..

Got another civil war in R2 as Carthage. Lucked out again, a new 1-character party made their move with 3 provinces near the front line. Now I milk the civil war protection period to grab the most influence I can get. I guess I'll simply have to manage this by designing the weakest faction to rebel.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

SeanBeansShako posted:

Napoleon spent the early years of the Revolution on half pay trying to get his dead dads farm out of debt dealing with the Corsican mob. I am not joking.

Nah I believe it. Nobility is either rich or insanely in debt. No middle ground

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

CA released this video of a 3 Kingdoms battle and also let some prominent youtubers play it:

https://youtu.be/xDK9CCI5KWA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2rXG9uxtRTw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZFubCUr5jY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e88TsXx4H-Y

Mantis42 fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Aug 16, 2018

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Looks alright. Some odd-looking moments with unit interaction but it looks like archers aren't uncanny-looking cyborg supershots which is nice.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

CharlestheHammer posted:

Nah I believe it. Nobility is either rich or insanely in debt. No middle ground

Best bit, he can't resist getting involved in the weird state of Corsican politics and pushes his luck with the dictator strongman and suddenly has an excuse to return to duty on the mainland.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Also gets owned by a mob

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

Senor Dog posted:

Also gets owned by a mob

uhhhhhhhh ill let you know pristine emperor napoleon the great has never ever lost a battle of any kind until waterloo, which he only lost because of treachery!!!11!

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Senor Dog posted:

Also gets owned by a mob

It's like in Futurama when Bender promises to come back doing his own thing with blackjack and hookers. Only it sort of happened.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

He would have gotten away with it too, if it wasn't for Perfidious Albion.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Gave DEI a fifth try and I think I'm getting it. Have to get used to battles not being super quick in R2 which is hard because I'll look at my unit comp compared to the AI and think certain units of mine will be quickly wiped when they'll be fine for at least a while.

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

Mantis42 posted:

CA released this video of a 3 Kingdoms battle and also let some prominent youtubers play it:

Of course that the only guy that wins the battle is the one that ganks on the enemy general during a 1v1 duel with a second character.

Edit: Also confirmed NO naval battles in 3K, but it seems you will be able to travel down the big rivers

Electronico6 fucked around with this message at 10:13 on Aug 17, 2018

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe

StarMinstrel posted:

uhhhhhhhh ill let you know pristine emperor napoleon the great has never ever lost a battle of any kind until waterloo, which he only lost because of treachery!!!11!

people do try and write up aspern-essling as a french win, because ?????

FAT BATMAN
Dec 12, 2009

Electronico6 posted:

Edit: Also confirmed NO naval battles in 3K, but it seems you will be able to travel down the big rivers

So...will Sun Jiang still be able to own the poo poo out of Cao Cao in big river battles with boats?

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

FAT BATMAN posted:

So...will Sun Jiang still be able to own the poo poo out of Cao Cao in big river battles with boats?

You will get owned by the auto-resolve when attempting river crossing yes.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Electronico6 posted:

Good good. Though I can hear the complaints already....

Is anyone clear about what the conditions are for duels yet?

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

^ Pretty well timed post :v: ^

No naval battles surprises me. I get they're never great, but given the historical and cultural importance of Chi Bi, would have thought they'd include them for that alone.

The Doomhammer
Feb 14, 2010

Who knows, maybe it will be a pseudo-land battle with all the ships tied together or something.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
I think CA should avoid naval battles in total war games until they make a proper naval centric game to test things properly.

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

Fangz posted:

Good good. Though I can hear the complaints already....

Is anyone clear about what the conditions are for duels yet?

It seems to be tied to the type of general you/ai have. In the video the first enemy general can not be engage in 1v1 because he is a strategist. Other type of generals are able to duel at will. There seems to be at least 3 types of general, Strategists, Commanders(?), and Duelists. Your unit abilities are tied to type of general present in your army, so a strategist will bring a lot more buffs and abilities to your units, while a duelist will be more 1v1 focused.

All the reddit dudes that saw that john woo movie studied extensively classical chinese warfare are very annoyed at no naval battles, even though naval combat and boats have been some the worse features in all TW games they were heavily present, and everybody ends up not engaging or actively hating it. And yes high sea auto-resolve sucks too, but in the end is more tolerable than boat spam.

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

I dunno, Rome 2's naval mechanics feel like they'd be a good fit for 3K, at least the "landing all your ships on shore and bum-rushing with the crews" part.

I wouldn't say I'm annoyed or angry naval battles are missing, but would have preferred them in. Again, understand I'm in the minority here.

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

Blooming Brilliant posted:

I dunno, Rome 2's naval mechanics feel like they'd be a good fit for 3K, at least the "landing all your ships on shore and bum-rushing with the crews" part.

I wouldn't say I'm annoyed or angry naval battles are missing, but would have preferred them in. Again, understand I'm in the minority here.

Naval landings wouldn't be bad yeah. ToB does this well for sieges on cities that have can be attacked from sea and land, so maybe that will still exist to some extent in 3K.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

The Doomhammer posted:

Who knows, maybe it will be a pseudo-land battle with all the ships tied together or something.

yeah i wouldn’t want anything approaching actual fleet battles, but just having every map start with all the ships already chained together like in musou would be fun