Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

I speak Arabic and Spanish and have started learning French but now there’s basically no point because by the time I can start traveling for work (that doesn’t involve working as a PMC) all of the areas that speak those languages are going to be war zones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009
Well, this seems kind of weird and self-defeating. Coverage on the mass arson of parked private vehicles in Sweden in the past week
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/08/15/world/europe/sweden-car-fires.html

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Milo and POTUS posted:

My list of places I'd love to visit and will never be able to visit both exploded and imploded in like a 5-10 year period.

Yeah of all the cool ancient stuff I'd like to see in my life, Petra is easily the least dangerous one to visit. It used to have a couple places in Turkey as close second and third but Turkey is looking less hospitable by the hour.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Internet Wizard posted:

I speak Arabic ... the areas that speak those languages are going to be war zones.

boy have I got some terrible news for you

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

45 ACP CURES NAZIS posted:

boy have I got some terrible news for you

The one or two that aren’t already

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/flyingovertr0ut/status/1029383063036473344?s=21

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
That's just what I needed this morning.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Maldives, socotra, caspian jungles, anything in syria/iraq/southeastern turkey, most of rest of turkey, vast swaths of the levant, north africa, huge chunks of subsaharan africa, blah blah blah. It's all loving finished. Being a geography dork will be like getting a major in ancient Atlantean history presently and the best news I can muster is at least it's not exclusively from climate change.

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.
"anti German propaganda"

Get hosed you Nazi bitch

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

C.M. Kruger posted:

I wish I had a lathe because it'd be super easy to buy some 5-6mm food safe stainless/titanium tubing and start making SUPREME ULTRA TACTICAL STRAWS for MEN.

My get rich quick scheme is to use some shady Chinese company to make common household items in black or multicam and sell them from my new company, FREEDOM EAGLE PATRIOTIC TACTICAL SOLUTIONS GROUP. Sure everything will be contaminated with melamine and other industrial chemicals, but I plan on using the ton of money from preppers and mall ninjas to buy a nice house in some South Pacific country that doesn’t have an extradition treaty with the US once the jig is up.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

I'm so loving glad I had a chance to see Egypt before it all went to poo poo. 100% worth it too, goddamn what a place.

When you go into the great pyramid and you're chilling in Khufu's burial chamber and it's this black granite vacuum of sound and you realize that there is as much time between the building of that pyramid and the battle of Cannae as there is between Caesar's murder and modern times. It was loving ancient to people who's writings we study in ancient history. My brain had trouble processing that for a few minutes.

DKD
Dec 25, 2011
I once worked with an old Egyptian lady. When another co-worker told her he studied American history, she smirked and told us that Americans have no history, that three or four centuries is a joke. We were forced to concede the point.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned

pantslesswithwolves posted:

My get rich quick scheme is to use some shady Chinese company to make common household items in black or multicam and sell them from my new company, FREEDOM EAGLE PATRIOTIC TACTICAL SOLUTIONS GROUP. Sure everything will be contaminated with melamine and other industrial chemicals, but I plan on using the ton of money from preppers and mall ninjas to buy a nice house in some South Pacific country that doesn’t have an extradition treaty with the US once the jig is up.

Up? I have some good news re: the state of consumer protections, friend.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

MA-Horus posted:

I'm so loving glad I had a chance to see Egypt before it all went to poo poo. 100% worth it too, goddamn what a place.

On a personal level, It is a real downer that I won't get to visit Egypt, the Levant, or Russia due to either war or general lovely policies

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

MA-Horus posted:

When you go into the great pyramid and you're chilling in Khufu's burial chamber and it's this black granite vacuum of sound and you realize that there is as much time between the building of that pyramid and the battle of Cannae as there is between Caesar's murder and modern times. It was loving ancient to people who's writings we study in ancient history. My brain had trouble processing that for a few minutes.

Spoiler alert, you can still go to Egypt and see this poo poo (for now) and be fine.

My Trump voting in-laws went in February of this year and both came back and went from "All Muslims want to kill us are bad and are terrible!" to "Well actually, muslims are mostly good people and they hate ISIS more than we do in some cases, who knew?!?"

Seriously, I get that poo poo is hosed up and bullshit, but some of you are starting to sound like my loving mom. Take some risks, enjoy the world for what it is while you still can.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

Handsome Ralph posted:

Spoiler alert, you can still go to Egypt and see this poo poo (for now) and be fine.

My Trump voting in-laws went in February of this year and both came back and went from "All Muslims want to kill us are bad and are terrible!" to "Well actually, muslims are mostly good people and they hate ISIS more than we do in some cases, who knew?!?"

Seriously, I get that poo poo is hosed up and bullshit, but some of you are starting to sound like my loving mom. Take some risks, enjoy the world for what it is while you still can.

Ease up homeboy, you're probably fine if you're with a tour-group or towards the Red Sea but I'll be hosed if I'm going down towards Aswan by myself.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Handsome Ralph posted:

Visiting Egypt is probably about as safe as visiting Jordan, it's cool stuff like Palmyra in Syria and Persepolis in Iran that are gonna be difficult.

Not to mention all the real cool Mesopotamian bronze age/pre-bronze age stuff that's scattered all over in Iraq/Syria.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

MA-Horus posted:

:yeah:

It's all just so damned depressing. As if I needed any more help

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

MA-Horus posted:

Ease up homeboy, you're probably fine if you're with a tour-group or towards the Red Sea but I'll be hosed if I'm going down towards Aswan by myself.

My bad, wasn't trying to rag on you alone or anything...I just often run into the "It's dangerous to go to places other than Western Europe and North America!" chat when it's usually massively overblown. Are there risks? Most definitely, but I'd say most of the time you're fine so long as you're not a complete idiot.

Egypt, yeah, tourgroups or with locals you know and trust.

Jordan, did that poo poo solo and I had no issues.

FAUXTON posted:

Visiting Egypt is probably about as safe as visiting Jordan, it's cool stuff like Palmyra in Syria and Persepolis in Iran that are gonna be difficult.

Not to mention all the real cool Mesopotamian bronze age/pre-bronze age stuff that's scattered all over in Iraq/Syria.

I would have loved to visited Palmyra or even check out Saladin's tomb, but lol to that ever happening anytime soon.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Maybe they'll find Alexander's tomb and it'll turn out to not have been looted/turned into a car park/filled with concrete/flooded with red liquid of immortality.

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009

FAUXTON posted:

Maybe they'll find Alexander's tomb and it'll turn out to not have been looted/turned into a car park/filled with concrete/flooded with red liquid of immortality.

He drank so much that the fucker would still be giving off fumes after nearly 2400 years. Just follow the emissions.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

FAUXTON posted:

You forgot 'fixed with superglue'

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Fallom posted:

You mean RADICALIFORNIA?

I'm so sick of that dumb gently caress commercial. Goddamn worthless gently caress Walker Stapleton.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

I lived in Egypt from 2009 to late 2010. I went back in early 2014 after the coup, and frankly, I’d have a hard time feeling comfortable going back given the country’s absolutely abysmal human rights record under Sisi. It’s a pretty sad and creepy place if you dig just beneath the surface or go anywhere outside of the major tourist areas.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

I think Iran is gonna be safe to visit as soon as theirs and our baby boomers die

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Informal poll: are you all fine with the current level of shitposting/white noise in this thread, or is it disruptive?

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
Just post, boys

Sexual Lorax
Mar 17, 2004

HERE'S TO FUCKING

Fun Shoe

EBB posted:

Informal poll: are you all fine with the current level of shitposting/white noise in this thread, or is it disruptive?

Shitposting happens, it's often entertaining. Dealing with shitposting is almost never entertaining. There's still enough signal punching through the noise.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

One of my teachers at DLI was an Egyptian and when we found out he’d been thrown in prison for a bit but was eventually released without ever having been charged he just kinda shrugged and said a lot of people get arrested in Egypt like that, as if that’s just the expected thing. He told us this after Sisi was elected but it had happened to him a couple decades ago.

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
Just ban me if you want

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I'm also fine with the current level of shitposting, but I'm also a lovely poster so :shrug:

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

EBB posted:

Theres enough news on any given page. It's fine.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

EBB posted:

it's fine.

who's whinging?

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

I’m new to following this thread but find it to be very much my jam. :shrug:

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

EBB posted:

Nah, it's fine for the most part. But if it gets any louder, then maybe clamp down, idk.

pantslesswithwolves posted:

I lived in Egypt from 2009 to late 2010. I went back in early 2014 after the coup, and frankly, I’d have a hard time feeling comfortable going back given the country’s absolutely abysmal human rights record under Sisi. It’s a pretty sad and creepy place if you dig just beneath the surface or go anywhere outside of the major tourist areas.

Yeah that's probably the best assessment. Co-worker of mine grew up in Egypt (her dad is a USG employee, her mom is a local) and her family stopped going back for a few years due to the issues going on there after the coup. I think they *just* started going back for twice a year visits, but they no longer live there full time.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

It's fine, whoever is complaining- stop

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
keep it mostly related to current events and :justpost:

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

EBB posted:

Everything's fine except when those two come around but it's been a few weeks since last time

ykwim

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Handsome Ralph posted:

Nah, it's fine for the most part. But if it gets any louder, then maybe clamp down, idk.

sixers are fine candy for when everybody gets a little too rowdy. :justpost:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

shame on an IGA posted:

Everything's fine except when those two come around but it's been a few weeks since last time

ykwim

I'm right here, rear end in a top hat.

• Locked thread