Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

HitTheTargets posted:

Synths are people, you arrogant Institute bastard!

The non-people Generation 1s and 2s. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
Best FO armor will always be the classic Road Warrior leathers.

RagnarokZ
May 14, 2004

Emperor of the Internet

Seedge posted:

What quests can you do as the Shroud?

The Mechanist one has more options as the Shroud and the Wild West area in Nuka World have Shroud options too.

Not sure if Far Harbour has anything.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
The synth armour looks like your character found an intact toilet and decided to wear it

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

2house2fly posted:

The synth armour looks like your character found an intact toilet and decided to wear it

The synth armor looks like a larper was given $50 and an hour to come up with an armor cosplay and the only store that was open was a plumbing supply store.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Liquid Communism posted:

F4 did away with the proud tradition of the one-sided short sleeve

SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

"The warmth of life has entered my tomb!"
The synth armor reminds me of the white plastic armor (minus jets that clipped into its let's) that came on this old 60s or 70s 12" generic space action figure I got at a garage sale as a kid. I tried to find pictures of one online but failed. Still, makes me think the inspiration for the aesthetics of the Institute come right out of the 60s and 70s. The interiors of the Institute could easily fit into an old Bond movie like Moonraker or Dr. No. I think this explains why the synth armor is so drat ugly.

Not my favorite but I'm a big fan of the yellow flight helmet in 4. It looks great with just about everything else and it feels very post apocalypse to run around using an old flight helmet you found in a downed helicopter as armor.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

SwitchbladeKult posted:

Not my favorite but I'm a big fan of the yellow flight helmet in 4. It looks great with just about everything else and it feels very post apocalypse to run around using an old flight helmet you found in a downed helicopter as armor.

It's a cool helmet

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Someone like 5 pages back mentioned that the powder gangers get wiped out by the NCR no matter what and I'd just like to say that as a normal person I put an AP round into every single one of their inventories and it worked out just fine :colbert:

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Liquid Communism posted:

It always annoyed me in F4 that the road leathers for a guy are full on long-sleeved and for a girl are short-sleeved with a flannel shirt underneath. Also no ballistic weave so only even marginally useful early on :argh:

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Wolfsheim posted:

Also no ballistic weave so only even marginally useful early on :argh:

Fashion comes at a cost

SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

"The warmth of life has entered my tomb!"

Rinkles posted:

Fashion comes at a cost

It's not like your DR is that important anyways. It never feels like I'm getting a whole lot more protection from the heavier armor sets verses running around in whatever looks cool.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

SwitchbladeKult posted:

It's not like your DR is that important anyways. It never feels like I'm getting a whole lot more protection from the heavier armor sets verses running around in whatever looks cool.

The formula has diminishing returns for stacking DR.

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013
I really like the helmeted cage armor in Fallout 4. Some day I'm going to play a character using that and ballistic weaves.

It is just such a shame that since you can weave even basic underclothing it will always be more "optimal" to weave that and wear armor over it than weave some of the "full body armors" like the cage armor or Kellogg's outfit.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

I've said it before but with how limited and random the weavable selection is, idk that anyone at Betheada paid much attention to it, and maybe they thought of b weaving more as a small extra perk than something for optimizing your setup

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

If you don't wear the Lieutenant's Hat after completing the USS Constitution's quests, you've messed up and should start a new game.

Dr.Smasher
Nov 27, 2002

Cyberpunk 1987

Rinkles posted:

I've said it before but with how limited and random the weavable selection is, idk that anyone at Betheada paid much attention to it, and maybe they thought of b weaving more as a small extra perk than something for optimizing your setup

That's why you play with a mod that lets you add ballistic fiber to anything

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

Dr.Smasher posted:

That's why you play with a mod that lets you add ballistic fiber to anything

which is surprisingly hard to find without any feature bloat

think the closest I've found is UCO which let's you weave everything even all the dlc stuff (and also adds new misc mods for all armor and fucks up combat armor with edits because hell why not)

Spike/cage armor is a good solid entry. That stuff looks top tier

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

I had a Legendary enemy drop a rifle that never runs out out of ammo! Only problem is, I don't even have 1 bullet to use yet... It's a 7.62 round I believe. Haven't spotted one yet.

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

The Zombie Guy posted:

I had a Legendary enemy drop a rifle that never runs out out of ammo! Only problem is, I don't even have 1 bullet to use yet... It's a 7.62 round I believe. Haven't spotted one yet.

Nuka World will be the place to get it. "Never Ending" is kinda miss-named - it only means you never need to reload - it'll still use ammo to fire.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
A lot of the fo4 outfits are super blotchy with their textures and they look like a grey brown mess from far to medium range

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Why wear armor when you can add ballistic weave to a hat and have better defense than power armor?

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

Otacon posted:

Nuka World will be the place to get it. "Never Ending" is kinda miss-named - it only means you never need to reload - it'll still use ammo to fire.

Well that's rather disappointing. Here I thought I had a cure for bullet sponges. I upgraded it and renamed it Ceaseless Discharge. :darksouls:

Found a new base that I really like, Spectacle Island. Man, I thought the Drive In gave me lots of room to work with! Now I've got an entire island to turn into my own little Wasteland Oasis. First settler that showed up got sent to be my pack mule between settlements, so I can access my stash for proper building.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
Spectacle island is where I got my pacifist character stuck trying to get the bobble head off the nearby Swedish raiders bc I got too irradiated swimming over and hadn’t bought enough supplies to get back

E: don’t ever try a pacifist playthrough of F4 btw it’s extremely unfun

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

aren't all pacifist runs extremely unfun

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

Yeah, really. I have to play real life that way, why would I avoid nuking annoying people in FO?

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

Berke Negri posted:

I played MGSV Ground Zeroes and The Phantom Pain without killing anyone and it ruled :colbert:

I also played Prey without killing anyone and it was just okay

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

The Deus Ex games are also a lot of fun in pacifist mode.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

I'm more of a long distance admirer of the idea. i can never actually commit to nonviolence (except for stuff like deus exHR where non-lethal basically means just using a different set of weapons)

Wolfsheim posted:

I also played Prey without killing anyone and it was just okay

do you mean no typhon kills? cause a no humans killed run in prey is a very different thing from doing so in fallout or the like

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Berke Negri posted:

Not always. In fallout 1 it can be fun to find ways around combat. Usually there's a solution to basically everything. I can't imagine trying it in like 4 though. The game really very much wants you to kill things and isn't happy about being told no.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
You can try to Sanctuary into the only part of the game you play, but the EXP there isn't quite enough to unlock Local Leader 2 so you can't go infinite.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

ive seen some pacifist playthroughs where you can't even shoot wild animals chasing you and at that point im like okay no thanks

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Not always. In fallout 1 it can be fun to find ways around combat. Usually there's a solution to basically everything. I can't imagine trying it in like 4 though. The game really very much wants you to kill things and isn't happy about being told no.

To be fair its not like New Vegas is built around it either. All the DLCs have hella combat and while most vanilla quests may have more peaceful resolutions you'd still have to run between every location to avoid killing anything.

There's also no actual way to beat the game without killing at least one faction (and yes, opening House's tube to consign him to a slow torturous death by bacterial infection absolutely counts).

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

yeah fo3 had a lot of set piece encounters where you pretty much need to kill someone to progress (thinking getting past the enclave at the jefferson memorial)

fo1&2 all end up requiring you to nuke something killing untold people probably (not to mention the big bads) and horrigan i think pretty much has to be killed by you

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Keeshhound posted:

Yes. As a result, certain combinations are extraordinarily powerful (explosive combat shotgun, Instigating sniper weapons, etc.) and some are not (Instigating minigun, two-shot shotgun).
Spray n' Pray feels like the most egregiously overpowered weapon in the game since the explosive bullets add 15 damage and make targets stumble more often than not.

Agoat posted:

I can't wait to gently caress up Communists over the Internet in Fallout 76.
Conversely, I can't wait to build a communist utopia and defend it from people like you. See you on the battlefield, fellow goon.

2house2fly posted:

Tip 1: save before entering any DLC area (you'll get a pop-up notification). You can't leave once you've started (with the exception of Lonesome Road) and some of them are a bit... divisive, so it can be good to have that fallback button if you find you're not enjoying a particular adventure

Tip 2: do either Dead Money or Old World Blues to start with, then Honest Hearts, then the one you didn't do first. Do Lonesome Road last- in fact, do it at the very end of the game. Remember the mission you get to protect the president? Right after that mission, instead of reporting back to your questgiver, head into Lonesome Road.

Tip 3: Old World Blues is best done before level 30, as enemy HP scaling gets to be a bit much. The other ones are a bit better scaling-wise, but I'd definitely try and do at least DM and HH before level 40
OWB is better around level 20 because of the absurd scaling, same reason Logan's Loophole is by far the most valuable perk in the game. If you like retro sci-fi and abundant penis jokes, this is the DLC for you.

Sobatchja Morda posted:

So, spend a few hours hanging around the starting area. My FPS seems stuck around 40 and the controls take some getting used to, but I also shot a bunch of gecko's, one lying rear end in a top hat and found four balls on the edge of a cliff.

Considering my character also wears an eye patch, I'd say we're off to a great start!
I never could decide whether Wild Wasteland was a blessing or a curse. Follow the balls to find another easter egg.

Arcsquad12 posted:

The lockpicking and hacking minigames suck to begin with so Id rather the perks connected to them be dump stats as well. The hacking game is only slightly less aggravating than lockpicking.
The really ironic thing is that the harder the hack is, the easier it is to figure out the password

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Oh my god, this Silver Shroud quest is amazing, my lovely main character has dialogue options that imitate him and everything :allears:
Not to mention that the Silver Shroud costume is pretty much the best weight to performance ratio in the game.

Kirios posted:

The Deus Ex games are also a lot of fun in pacifist mode.
Very much so. They make you solve problems in completely different ways from the way you would play through killing people.

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

:eyepop:

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Oh my god, this Silver Shroud quest is amazing, my lovely main character has dialogue options that imitate him and everything :allears:

Yeah I wish there were more side quests fleshed out like that in the base game. What strikes me as odd about Fallout 4 is quite often they'll have set up all these locations and characters and do jack all with them.

I think proper Atom Cats, Vault 85 and Combat Zone quest lines would've been cool but I guess they ran out of time/budget before they could come up with anything as substantial as the Silver Shroud. Instead it seems like they made side quests into DLC.

Vinylshadow posted:

Why wear armor when you can add ballistic weave to a hat and have better defense than power armor?

It's too bad you can't strap a jet pack to regular armour/outfits without mods. That's my favourite thing about power armour.

Fanatic fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Aug 16, 2018

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
it will never not be funny to mod a jetpack to a hat and enjoy what that does to the animations

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Berke Negri posted:

yeah fo3 had a lot of set piece encounters where you pretty much need to kill someone to progress (thinking getting past the enclave at the jefferson memorial)

fo1&2 all end up requiring you to nuke something killing untold people probably (not to mention the big bads) and horrigan i think pretty much has to be killed by you

Frank Horrigan 100% needs to be murdered by you and there is absolutely no way to talk your way out of fighting him. However, I'd argue that given what Frank is (a violent sociopath) and what he represents (the sheer brutality and devastation that the Enclave constantly causally enables and often actively encourages in pursuit of their goals) that being able to talk him down really wouldn't really fit with the story.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
You can turn the turrets in the final room on him and also convince the last Enclave squad you run into to help you defeat him so you can escape to the ship. From there you could skip all your turns and just let all the NPCs duke it out until everyone is dead. If you get lucky Horrigan will spend all his time running around the room to attack the turrets, giving the Enclave guys enough time to whittle him down.

I've never done it because combat in F1 and F2 is tedious enough as it is, but I suppose there's nothing stopping you from trying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Technically iirc you can talk others into killing him/hack turrets

E:b