Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
I have one of the Pro-Ject ones and it works great. Does what it says on the tin, doesn't seem to sound any better or worse than the phono stage on my SX-525 did (it's currently in restoration and I wanted to use my turntable with the AVR in my office).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

I’m pretty sure I found it through a link in the OP of this thread, though that’s been a long time so I don’t know if it’s changed since then.

E: drat, it must have been a long time ago or maybe another thread, because it was when I bought an SL-1200 with the original box and manual on ebay for $250. It had to have been at least 7 or 8 years ago but I remember finding the preamp through SA.

empty baggie fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Aug 15, 2018

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

Don Dongington posted:

The same.

It sounds the same.

Pshhh maybe to you...

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

64bit_Dophins posted:

Pshhh maybe to you...

Idea for new Bond villain: The Man With The Golden Ears.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
This 256kbs MP3 pains me just as much as it pains you, Mr. Bond. I'll turn the bitrate back to 320kbs just as soon as you tell me missile codes.

VladimirLeninpest
Jun 23, 2005

gn gorilla
Fallen Rib
If you want to go even cheaper, I have this one for $16 and it sounds fine paired with the older, class-t version of this amp (though I saw a review of the class-d version and they said it was worse than the older ones). If you have a decent amplifier at all, you should be fine.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I have a Behringer one, which means it's cheap, reliable enough, and probably a stolen design from something more expensive anyway.

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Throw this in a pot, add some broth, a potato? Baby you got a stew going!

I think I've settled on the 2245 model Marantz as the one I want. Trying to figure out speakers now, need smallish ones that I can sit my monitors on. Anyone have any feelings about the Klipsch R-15m's?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Ghostnuke posted:

I think I've settled on the 2245 model Marantz as the one I want. Trying to figure out speakers now, need smallish ones that I can sit my monitors on. Anyone have any feelings about the Klipsch R-15m's?

Wait, you're gonna put your monitors on top of some small bookshelf speakers? I'm not sure I understand...

Are we talking displays or monitor speakers?

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Display monitors, lol. I knew that was going to be confusing.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Ghostnuke posted:

Display monitors, lol. I knew that was going to be confusing.

Hmm...speakers vibrate. Not sure I would want to put a monitor on top of one. Also you want there to be separation of R/L so I wouldn’t just stick them side by side without some space in between. Have you considered smaller speakers that could fit around/beneath your displays instead?

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Hmm...speakers vibrate. Not sure I would want to put a monitor on top of one. Also you want there to be separation of R/L so I wouldn’t just stick them side by side without some space in between. Have you considered smaller speakers that could fit around/beneath your displays instead?

There really isn't room on my desk. This is in my office at work, so nothing will be very loud. Not concerned about vibrations.

From what I've read, the 2245 has a warm sound. Should I find something to match that? I really have no idea what to choose.

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

Oh dang, I'd nibble that cheese

If you're going for an office set up a 2245 is massively overkill. You could get a 2215 to drive a pair of small bookshelf speakers...

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Ghostnuke posted:

There really isn't room on my desk. This is in my office at work, so nothing will be very loud. Not concerned about vibrations.

From what I've read, the 2245 has a warm sound. Should I find something to match that? I really have no idea what to choose.

I feel like that’s such a weird use case for a vintage receiver that will probably cost you hundreds of dollars and decent bookshelf speakers that will also cost you hundreds of dollars then. Like, if you’re going through the trouble and expense of getting a Marantz (which will definitely be able to play much, much louder without distortion than what you plan to use it for) then you should get some inexpensive desktop-height speaker stands (music supply stores sell these for use with studio monitors for like $30 a pair) and not just wedge your new $250 speakers side-to-side under your display.

Or get something small and self-powered (Audioengine A2+ or B2 come to mind) that will be more than adequate for near-field and office listening. There are really great, attractively designed desktop audio solutions out there for smaller spaces at multiple price points. It sounds like you’ve got a pretty healthy budget to work with, so you have a ton of wiggle room to either save a couple hundred bucks or get something really high-end. Hell, with the $450+ that a 2245/r-15m would cost I’d personally get some good good self-powered Audioengines and a Schiit tube headphone amp/preamp for some vintage-style warmth and offbeat style points. But if I had a 2245 I’d power a room-scale setup with it. The r-15m’s are also quite large for a desktop. The setup you’re describing would be good for a den or a small-medium living room, at least.

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Aug 16, 2018

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

For sure I agree with all that. I had originally planned to get a 2220, but I'm getting a good deal on the 2245 for not that much more so it was a no brainer. I have a whole slew of monitors on my desk (which is why there's no room) and I plan to put the speakers under the 2 outside ones which gives almost 4 feet of separation. This stuff will not always be in my office either, I didn't want to pay for things twice so here I am.

tldr: this is a dumb overkill setup and I know this (but also I like it :getin:)

edit: I ended up grabbing some Sony SS-CS5's for the speakers, found a lot of good reviews.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
I feel like I just got away with murder.
2 SL1200's with basically brand new cart's, flight cases, a CDJ 1000 MK3, a mixer and the guy even threw in some vinyl (some really good ones) for $500

https://imgur.com/a/1edDKBS

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I feel like I just got away with murder.
2 SL1200's with basically brand new cart's, flight cases, a CDJ 1000 MK3, a mixer and the guy even threw in some vinyl (some really good ones) for $500

https://imgur.com/a/1edDKBS

Make sure you test both and make sure the tone arms are okay and tracking works. If yes, then you have yourself a lifelong setup.

Bass Ackwards
Nov 14, 2003

Anything can be used as a hammer if you try hard enough.
Finally decided to upgrade the 2M Red to a Blue.

The upgrade may or may not have been motivated by my cat batting the tonearm into the side of the platter and snapping the cantilever off.

It's going on this (which currently has my backup OM10 fitted):

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

metaxus posted:

Finally decided to upgrade the 2M Red to a Blue.

The upgrade may or may not have been motivated by my cat batting the tonearm into the side of the platter and snapping the cantilever off.

It's going on this (which currently has my backup OM10 fitted):

How do you like those weirdly-shaped Pro-Jects (I forget the name)? Do you find that it’s an upgrade over the Debut Carbon?

Veotax
May 16, 2006

I posted back in march asking advice about an affordable turntable that I could just plug into the aux on my sound system and I ended buying an AKAI BT100 based on the advice I received here. It's been working fine but I just noticed tonight that a current seems to be running through the tone arm. When the turntable is powered I get a small electric shock if I touch the metal portion of the arm, it's relatively minor (I think so anyway, but then I haven't had too many electric shocks) or at least not that painful. I can't see any problems with the plug or the power cable.

Obviously this isn't good, do you think it's 'buy a new turntable' bad?

Bass Ackwards
Nov 14, 2003

Electric Bugaloo posted:

How do you like those weirdly-shaped Pro-Jects (I forget the name)? Do you find that it’s an upgrade over the Debut Carbon?

It's an RPM1.

Mine is a MkII, and it's about 14 years old and has a serial number in the 2 thousands, so it's a fairly early production model. It has an aluminum arm tube and the 16VAC motor (I've added the Speed Box II), where the current model has a carbon fiber arm and DC motor with it's own speed controller built in.

I do like it, but mine was purchased as a scratch and dent model so I had to fix a few things which a normal buyer probably wouldn't - The tonearm bearings were all slightly loose and needed adjusting, there is a ding in the underside of the platter I had to smooth out, and the original design relied on the arm being grounded through the bearings, so it had a faint hum, and touching the finger lift made it buzz loudly. I also replaced the belt after a year because it had stretched enough that it was running slightly slow.

Other than fixing that stuff, I've also rewired the arm with Cardas litz wire and cartridge clips (the original wire was quite flimsy), added a ground wire from the horizontal bearing shaft to the arm base (fixing the hum), and polished the inside of the platter bearing and added some silicon oil which fixed a very faint rumble. I want to change the feet for some that are a bit stickier underneath as the plastic cones mean it slides fairly easily on top of my hifi unit.

It's a great table now, but like I said, my ownership experience is probably not indicative of buying one that wasn't in a damaged box.

These are a definite upgrade over the Debut in a few ways, the platter is thicker and much heavier instead of being pressed steel, it came with a better cartridge, and the bearing housing is made of metal instead of glass fiber reinforced plastic. I think it's visually nicer too, but it does cost more. The Debut is still an excellent table.

Bass Ackwards fucked around with this message at 10:31 on Aug 21, 2018

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Uncle Kitchener posted:

Make sure you test both and make sure the tone arms are okay and tracking works. If yes, then you have yourself a lifelong setup.

I didn't test them, but I'm going to. I've already got 2 for my DJ setup so I'm not in a hurry. I plan to strip them down and restore them. I'm already planning to replace the pitch sliders so if I have to rebuild or replace the tonearm then it's nbd. I might even go with straight tubes instead and use them as my home TT's.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I didn't test them, but I'm going to. I've already got 2 for my DJ setup so I'm not in a hurry. I plan to strip them down and restore them. I'm already planning to replace the pitch sliders so if I have to rebuild or replace the tonearm then it's nbd. I might even go with straight tubes instead and use them as my home TT's.

You technically got two for the price of one, so if you're not in a hurry to have a DJ setup, you can cannibalise one for the other and buy spare parts for the backup later. I think last time I checked a slider was around 30-70 bucks, but they're not gonna run out of those any time soon, thankfully.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Uncle Kitchener posted:

You technically got two for the price of one, so if you're not in a hurry to have a DJ setup, you can cannibalise one for the other and buy spare parts for the backup later. I think last time I checked a slider was around 30-70 bucks, but they're not gonna run out of those any time soon, thankfully.

I'm not in a hurry. I tore down my previous DJ setup in the garage to do some house cleaning and make some space. Used to look something like this:

Now those 2 turn tables are put to use in the living room and my loft:

and I've sold my Phillips 212e:

I've also restored my Dad's old Pioneer PL-12D (which I can't seem to find a pic of) and I'm going to bring it over to my Mom's house along with all her freshly cleaned, old vinyl.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
You still have a WiiU set up? You have enough stereo stuff, buy a Switch already.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Cojawfee posted:

You still have a WiiU set up? You have enough stereo stuff, buy a Switch already.

Eh... I don't even play the WiiU honestly. I bought it because it was cheap and I wanted to play Smash Brothers when we were between houses.
Now I have a fuckton of vinyl and spend my 'free time' bumping house music and trying to get through some of my motorcycle projects.

Bass Ackwards
Nov 14, 2003

Defective out of the box. Cantilever azimuth isn’t straight...

Motherfuck.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

metaxus posted:

Defective out of the box. Cantilever azimuth isn’t straight...

Motherfuck.

I can’t see the image

Edit: Now I can. That sucks dude!

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Aug 23, 2018

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
I've gone through tons of stuff lately.

I got a REALLY nice Beocord 8002. This thing is seriously mint, it's like someone unpacked it from its box and then did an extra round of cleaning on it. Needed a new set of easy to change belts, and it plays perfectly. One of the best sounding and working tape decks I've had.

I picked up the legendary Technics A900S MkII with preamp. The bulbs the VU meters needed changing, and it's really easy if you just solder them like it's meant to be done instead of spending two hours trying to find a solderless way of doing it like a little bitch! It also needs a new motor for the fan in the back, which is on its way from eBay.

On the bottom is a 110+1 disc CD changer, which needed new belts and an adjustment of the mechanism. It's fascinating to see it run the whole CD transport back and forth along the stack of discs, it's like my own little industrial robot!

I also got a 3 head direct drive Technics tape deck, which was pretty fancy. I've never had a direct drive tape deck before. Instead of having belts there are coils of copper wire directly behind the capstan which turns it around, like on an SL-1210! A drop of oil and adjusting some gears around the FF/REW motor, and it plays like new!

Together with a Technics DSP and tuner, I now have a wet dream of a Technics stereo from 1994!

Other recent finds are a Sony CDP-XA3ES, and a Sony TCD-D8, which is my first DAT device ever.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

evobatman posted:

I got a REALLY nice Beocord 8002. This thing is seriously mint, it's like someone unpacked it from its box and then did an extra round of cleaning on it. Needed a new set of easy to change belts, and it plays perfectly. One of the best sounding and working tape decks I've had.

I picked up the legendary Technics A900S MkII with preamp. The bulbs the VU meters needed changing, and it's really easy if you just solder them like it's meant to be done instead of spending two hours trying to find a solderless way of doing it like a little bitch! It also needs a new motor for the fan in the back, which is on its way from eBay.

On the bottom is a 110+1 disc CD changer, which needed new belts and an adjustment of the mechanism. It's fascinating to see it run the whole CD transport back and forth along the stack of discs, it's like my own little industrial robot!

I also got a 3 head direct drive Technics tape deck, which was pretty fancy. I've never had a direct drive tape deck before. Instead of having belts there are coils of copper wire directly behind the capstan which turns it around, like on an SL-1210! A drop of oil and adjusting some gears around the FF/REW motor, and it plays like new!

Together with a Technics DSP and tuner, I now have a wet dream of a Technics stereo from 1994!

Other recent finds are a Sony CDP-XA3ES, and a Sony TCD-D8, which is my first DAT device ever.

https://youtu.be/lPGaykzhlj0

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS

evobatman posted:

This is dope.

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Ghostnuke posted:

For sure I agree with all that. I had originally planned to get a 2220, but I'm getting a good deal on the 2245 for not that much more so it was a no brainer. I have a whole slew of monitors on my desk (which is why there's no room) and I plan to put the speakers under the 2 outside ones which gives almost 4 feet of separation. This stuff will not always be in my office either, I didn't want to pay for things twice so here I am.

tldr: this is a dumb overkill setup and I know this (but also I like it :getin:)

edit: I ended up grabbing some Sony SS-CS5's for the speakers, found a lot of good reviews.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

evobatman posted:

That B&O tape deck in minty as gently caress. Does it have pitch controls?

Also I really like that DSP, reminds me of the DSP on my Denon stack. It's actually accurate enough to be useful for mixing/mastering just because you can tell (at a glance) where things are wonky or unbalanced.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I remember those Technics VU meters being the front and center of the Technics brochure when I was a kid, nice pickup!

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

Pillbug
No pitch controls on the B&O, this was back in the day when the microprocessor was a big deal, and they wanted to leave as much as possible to that. I do have a 3000hz test tape, and it clocks in at 3005 hz, which is pretty good for a non-quartz deck. My quartz Sony WM-D6C is at 3003.

The audio quality on it is beyond amazing! I tried just a random recording yesterday with a Type 1 tape and a test CD I use, and I could hear immediately that this was something special! I recorded Live at Pompeii today onto a metal tape with Dolby B on, and I think nobody would be able to tell the playback was coming from tape and not from CD! This deck has to be 99,99% of what a Nakamichi Dragon at 30 times the cost is! It is way better than any tape deck I've ever had, including several Tandbergs and Sonys! The recorded tapes also sound really good on everything else I've played them back on, so next step is to try without Dolby.

VladimirLeninpest
Jun 23, 2005

gn gorilla
Fallen Rib
Folks, this is a periodic reminder to replace your record stylus if it's been a while. I bought a Grado Black probably 6-7 years ago and haven't really thought about it. Recently I've noticed my records sound crackly, even with new records or records I knew were clean. I was going through the "should I buy a new cartridge" motions, but finally settled on the straight $50 stylus replacement and the difference is instantly noticable. It's so silent now! It's amazing!

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy

VladimirLeninpest posted:

Folks, this is a periodic reminder to replace your record stylus if it's been a while. I bought a Grado Black probably 6-7 years ago and haven't really thought about it. Recently I've noticed my records sound crackly, even with new records or records I knew were clean. I was going through the "should I buy a new cartridge" motions, but finally settled on the straight $50 stylus replacement and the difference is instantly noticable. It's so silent now! It's amazing!

I gotta upgrade my current stock one that came with my u-turn but I'm worried about mucking up the installation of it, particularly adjusting the counterweight. I'm probably just overthinking it.

VladimirLeninpest
Jun 23, 2005

gn gorilla
Fallen Rib

Stan Taylor posted:

I gotta upgrade my current stock one that came with my u-turn but I'm worried about mucking up the installation of it, particularly adjusting the counterweight. I'm probably just overthinking it.

You should do it! Maintenance and upgrades are some of the most fun parts of owning a turntable. The difference between a stock cartridge and even a mid-tier cartridge is pretty big sometimes.

Besides, it's cool being a turntable owner in 2018 because any minor thing you need to adjust on it has a 30 minute video on YouTube of some guy in A. a grimy garage adjusting it, B. an extremely messy bedroom adjusting it, or C. a room with $30,000 worth of equipment adjusting it. So just go for it!

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

That reminds me, I really have to reapply the damping oil for my turntable's cue mechanism. Right now it just slams the arm down if I'm not careful.

And I have to clean the 33/45 switch, sometimes it cuts out and just lets the motor spin as fast as it wants to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

Pillbug
How fast can it get up to?