Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

slidebite posted:

I was a little interested at first but soon realized it wasn't a Buick :(

A guy that works at the kart shop has one but the body has seen far better days

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Phy posted:

Whats the scoop on smoke from all the new fires in BC, though?

Oh, here it is.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Phy posted:

Oh, here it is.

I feel like I'm loving dying.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Yes, the air is certainly quite chewy at this point. Not edible, but there's a lot of heft to it.

e: Looks quite heavy over Calgary.

https://twitter.com/NASAEarth/status/1030476890753130497

Powershift fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Aug 18, 2018

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I got a new pair of exide batteries for my truck on clearance for $77 a piece from home depot of all places. they had a whole rack of clearance batteries. No core charge either. The cheapest group 65 battery at cantire is $150+$20 core charge.

I didn't check because my head was all sorts of buggered, but i should go back tomrorow and see if they have a BFO group 31 on clearance too, that'll really get the 460 spinning.

Powershift fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Aug 23, 2018

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

That's a good deal.

I just found out Lee Aaron and Helix are headlining at the fairgrounds Saturday night. Concert included with fairground admission. Gotta admit, I'm thinking of going :shobon:

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Powershift posted:

I got a new pair of exide batteries for my truck on clearance for $77 a piece from home depot of all places. they had a whole rack of clearance batteries. No core charge either. The cheapest group 65 battery at cantire is $150+$20 core charge.

I didn't check because my head was all sorts of buggered, but i should go back tomrorow and see if they have a BFO group 31 on clearance too, that'll really get the 460 spinning.

Home Depot's automotive-supply section is loving weird if you've never looked at it before. Whoever on staff picks the items that are there is some kind of lab-grown mutant hybrid of a truck guy and a person who has never seen an automobile before.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Home Depot's automotive-supply section is loving weird if you've never looked at it before. Whoever on staff picks the items that are there is some kind of lab-grown mutant hybrid of a truck guy and a person who has never seen an automobile before.

It looks like they're getting rid of all of it, so if you need an oil filter for an 89 lebaron, now's your chance.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

lol

I genuinely don't think ours has/had an auto section. If it did, I've never seen it.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

There's water falling out of the sky what is going on :supaburn:

Most grass on city land is long dead. I don't think we've gotten enough rain to soak the soil since mid july.

American Joe
Sep 23, 2006
Curious what peoples thoughts are on junkyards in Calgary. I've been going to Buck's a bunch lately and they're great, but the website inventory doesn't seem to be updated very well (missing cars still on there, new cars not even listed at all)

I'd been avoiding Pick and Pull based on the online reviews, admission charge, and that whole thing about trying to crush stolen cars or whatever happened, but the online lists seem better and they have more/newer of the models I'm interested in. Anyone been to both? I noticed they also have an online section for sales (50% days?) but it's been empty for a while, maybe a winter thing?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I like both Pick N Pulls but their web inventory list also kinda sucks. Barlow is the better yard, but often 52nd has more parts on the cars they do have (and also yes they apparently occasionally part out a stolen truck).

If you get a membership at the front counter, they periodically send you an email about 50% off "member days" and stuff like that.

Not sure what the negative reviews are based around. I'm guessing either the normal "you said you have it and you don't have it" stuff, or the occasional confused white-bread family I see wandering around there with no tools and no experience.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Aug 27, 2018

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

The negative reviews stem from the impossible standards people who go to junkyards have. I remember a dude that was constantly in and out of the yard spent 10 minutes right before closing one night just ranting to the general manager about how expensive the parts are, manager asks what he does for a living and it turns out he sells used auto parts and we were cutting into his margin.

And yeah there was absolutely no check or system for stolen vehicles, we had a tow vendor who couldn’t read that was doing that half a year

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

1500quidporsche posted:

And yeah there was absolutely no check or system for stolen vehicles, we had a tow vendor who couldn’t read that was doing that half a year

Wait, you were at a JY that employed an illiterate person to drive a tow truck? When I worked Calgary Stampede (parking), the in-house tow driver told me he'd dropped out of school in Grade 6, but he could actually read well enough and he certainly wasn't literally illiterate. Was yours?

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

We didn’t employ him but he’d sell cars to us and you’d basically have to point on the form where he needs to sign. I have a hard time believing he was completely illiterate but people have definitely risen higher in life than tow truck driver selling stolen cars while being completely illiterate so who knows.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Princess auto is rebranding lower quality tools and selling them as a better brand and i have proof!

I paid nearly $3 for this pack of screwdriver bits

something seemed fishy, so i peeled the label off.

This is an outrage!

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Any of you live near Lethbridge and capable of doing an inspection on heavy equipment, or could recommend a heavy duty mechanic ?

I have a Volvo to look at. It's under warranty still but I don't want any headaches so far away from my own shop.

Or failing that. Anyone recognize this truck ?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

You goin highway, bruh?

I know a guy in high river/claresholm, he's light duty but generally knows his poo poo. If he can't do it he might know someone who can. http://www.bigredmd.ca/ He's good people, probably the only mechanic i would ever want to work on my stuff. He swapped that ecoboost and put the trans in that Mark LT for me.

Also, buy this instead http://details.maauctions.com/IndlistingYYC_Detail?Link=27/8/2018%5Edda466bf776c4f24b028acfbee4a3d99

Powershift fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Aug 28, 2018

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

jonathan posted:

Any of you live near Lethbridge and capable of doing an inspection on heavy equipment, or could recommend a heavy duty mechanic ?

I have a Volvo to look at. It's under warranty still but I don't want any headaches so far away from my own shop.

Or failing that. Anyone recognize this truck ?

Out of my wheelhouse and don't know any HD mechanics down here boss, sorry. Actually, that's a lie, I think a husband of coworker is but they're on holidays right now.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Just for reference, i've seen REALLY nice volvos in the 700k range go under $30k at Michener.

You're probably not as dumb as i am, but if i could get back in the truck i'd be buying a piece of poo poo at auction and dealing with what i've got to deal with. I loved the Mack because i could patch it with JB weld and not give a poo poo.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Powershift posted:

Just for reference, i've seen REALLY nice volvos in the 700k range go under $30k at Michener.

You're probably not as dumb as i am, but if i could get back in the truck i'd be buying a piece of poo poo at auction and dealing with what i've got to deal with. I loved the Mack because i could patch it with JB weld and not give a poo poo.

Have you SEEN my post history ? I'm a barely functional fence post.

And nope not going highway just running between GP and Valley view or sometimes Fox Vegas. I'm giving up the tri-drive work and doing super-b hauling produced water and condensate. Paid by the volume + $120 hourly for delays.

I've looked at the RB stuff in GP but I'm dead set on something with warranty still. Problem is when I leave this comfy job I'll have around 60 or 70 days with no pay so I can't afford any downtime or stress from possible repairs.

Basically the 30k I'd save isn't worth it over the ability to jump in and drive without downtime.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
With that said if you get behind the wheel again and want to work out of GP all my friends who own equipment are doing well. The trucks are grossing 180 per hour and dispatching and trailer rentals are around 30%. Or 15% with your own trailer.

And produced water doesn't really freeze.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Have you ever been O/O?

Waiting 2 weeks for warranty work can kill you for a $400 part.

What are the specs on that truck? I really wouldn't want to drag super Bs up 43 with a D12.

What is your financial situation? Can you get a letter of credit from your bank and take it to the big Edmonton sale on september 4th?

Something like this would still have warranty and has 46000lb rears and an 18 speed so if you have to take it off highway you can. I haven't shopped for years, but this should be around $110kish, probably 160 to spec out new.

https://www.rbauction.com/2015-KENWORTH--SLEEPER-TRUCK-TRACTOR-(TA)TTT?invId=10707781&id=ci&auction=EDMONTON-AB-2018224

Most of the guys i worked with kept their old trucks to run when the new one was in for warranty work.

e: also, trailer rentals.... if it's Energetic, run.
e2: https://www.rbauction.com/2006-KENWORTH--SLEEPER-TRUCK-TRACTOR-(TA)TTT?invId=10757799&id=ci&auction=EDMONTON-AB-2018224 There you go, heavy spec, pre-emissions, low mileage. DOT will think you're a trican scrub.
e3: My chronic illness has basically ruled out ever getting back in the truck. This most recent flare up has pretty much broken me again :smith:

e: window shopping, this truck probably broke somebody and it's back for another round. Looking at the carproof, it's registration was renewed in july, sepetember, january, and february. prob 4 different owners who figured out it's poo poo.

https://www.rbauction.com/2011-INTERNATIONAL--SLEEPER-TRUCK-TRACTOR-(TA)TTT?invId=10471004&id=ar&auction=EDMONTON-AB-2018220
https://www.rbauction.com/2011-INTERNATIONAL--SLEEPER-TRUCK-TRACTOR-(TA)TTT?invId=10788589&id=ci&auction=EDMONTON-AB-2018224

Powershift fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Aug 28, 2018

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
That specific Volvo is a 2015 with 500,000k on it and a 600hp d16 (detuned with an OEM 500hp tune to save fuel) and it's already rigged up with a new t&e 4" pump and wet kit. It has 46k drives with lockers and has another 300,000 km on the warranty, or until 2020. I do around 8,000km per month

He's asking 79k without the pump and I'm hoping I can get it for 85 or at least under 90 with the pump. And yeah I've ran o/o before but not in the patch and not with tankers.

I'm partial to the Volvo's and Mack's as I spent too much time in paccars and I hate the narrow cab, and I can't stand side stacks and air filters by the window. I'm a psychopath and consider the late 2000's Sterling's to be the pinnacle of truck design.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
The Trashcan trucks are good buys always. Every one of them were greased and checked every week, and a full service including all filters every 300 hours.

But I'm 6'2 and can't stand flat tops.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Comedy option: there is an OshKosh m1070 behind Costco...

Gross combined vehicle weight: 104961kg

Cat 18L 700hp

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

The real worry with Trican trucks is a whole bunch of them were never actually Trican trucks. Greatwest ordered like 150 specced out for trican in anticipation of an order that never came. Near the tail end they were selling them brand new for $119k.

That seems like a pretty good deal. Those T&Es are probably up to $6k by now. That's probably the truck to do it with.

I looked at the T880 and 567 when they first came out, and was pretty impressed, mainly because they were built like my mack. You might run in to the same troubles I did up, north, with the northernmost Mack/Volvo dealer being Edmonton. When my Jake got stuck in on Fox Creek and i had it hauled back to Edson, i probably drove to Edmonton and back 5 times for parts.

As for side stacks, they're usually hinged off the cab which gives them a little more flexability I'll see if i can find a pic, but my Mack had a big X on the back of the sleeper because the mufflers were rigidly mounted to the frame and i shook the top of both mufflers off.

Doing a little research, another truck that broke somebody. Probably this guy's last truck.

$30,000, 570k sept 2017 https://www.rbauction.com/2009-VOLVO--SLEEPER-TRUCK-TRACTOR-(TA)TTT?invId=10161011&id=ar&auction=EDMONTON-AB-2017302
$21,000, 605k, Feb 2018 with engine fault https://www.rbauction.com/2009-VOLVO--SLEEPER-TRUCK-TRACTOR-(TA)TTT?invId=10478930&id=ar&auction=EDMONTON-AB-2018220

Also, for context,
2013 VNL tridrive with a product pump and 286k went for $39k in april https://www.rbauction.com/2013-VOLVO--TRI-DRIVE-SLEEPER-HEAVY-HAUL-TRUCKTTH?invId=10561771&id=ar&auction=EDMONTON-AB-2018105
2015 VNL, D16, 46k rears, 218k went for $85k a few years ago https://www.rbauction.com/2015-VOLVO--SLEEPER-TRUCK-TRACTOR-(TA)TTT?invId=9509041&id=ar&auction=EDMONTON-AB-2016308

It seems the second they're out of warranty, they're $40k trucks.

jonathan posted:

Comedy option: there is an OshKosh m1070 behind Costco...

Gross combined vehicle weight: 104961kg

Cat 18L 700hp

Probably Redlines at 55mph in top gear.

e: I'm surprised i never saw my truck go back through the auctions, that thing was loving ragged. I did see it on the highway a few years ago hauling sand.

Powershift fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Aug 28, 2018

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Oops I just realized I didn't post the ad

There are a few others I've looked at online at nortrux Edmonton too. We actually have a local notrux Volvo/Mack dealer in GP now also, so I won't have to drive too far for parts.

2015 Volvo VNL730,
https://www.kijiji.ca/v-heavy-truck...ent=app_android

Price: $ 79,900

Edit: why the gently caress isn't my RB auction login working.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Lloydminster's quite a ways away from Lethbridge.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Powershift posted:

Lloydminster's quite a ways away from Lethbridge.

I get the two confused. I've never been to either. Actually I've never been east of Edmonton in Canada. Every time I go on vacation it's like "Sure, we could plan to go to Niagara falls or Newfoundland rally or something. But in Mexico they bring you nachos on a plate poolside.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

jonathan posted:

I'm a psychopath and consider the late 2000's Sterling's to be the pinnacle of truck design.

:same:, but if that's the case the Cascadia is essentially a facelifted Sterling, why not one of those?
I can arrange CVIPs if you can get a truck to Calgary, if you need someone in Lloyd I can see who we use there.
gently caress, if you'd have posted this a few months back I could have got you a really good truck right around that price range (actually a bit below it)

Turbo Fondant fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Aug 29, 2018

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
powershift I remember you had to redo an entire wiring harness behind the dash. WTF was that about ?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

That was just the HVAC control panel plug burning out. i replaced it all with blade connectors and never had a problem again.

I did, however, give up on replacing bulbs, because all the plastic in the cluster was crispy and crunchy

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

jonathan posted:

I do around 8,000km per month

jonathan posted:

Actually I've never been east of Edmonton in Canada.
I learned something I should have already known just by thinking about it! I did not realize that professional drivers could quite easily end up driving the exact same stretch of highway, many hundreds of kilometres long, literally thousands of times.

How often do you just close your eyes and let muscle memory drive the truck?

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Whenever the existential dread sets in, and you stop believing in moose and deer.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

ExecuDork posted:

I learned something I should have already known just by thinking about it! I did not realize that professional drivers could quite easily end up driving the exact same stretch of highway, many hundreds of kilometres long, literally thousands of times.

Most of the driving is offroad, but most of my day isn't driving, but operating the pump and filling/draining various containers.

With new job it'll probably mostly be driving.

However for hwy 40 my eyes are always on the road because it's littered with deer, moose and welders.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
8,000 km /month compares to the 25 days it took me and a friend to drive 16,400 km, KM 0 (Victoria) to KM 0 (St. John's) and back again in the summer of 2002. The shortest highway distance between those points is close to 7,200 km, but the TransCanada isn't one road for much of it's length, it's at least two (roughly) parallel routes for large parts. The Yellowhead (hwy 16) and Highway 1 in Western Canada, Ontario 11 and 17 plus part of the 401, both sides of the St. Laurence between Montreal and Quebec, etc. Our moving average speed was something between 90 and 100km/h over the whole trip, so I'm assuming you're going at least 80 on those dirt roads, and working long hours.

I like driving, but I don't know if I could do that day in, day out. I'm glad you do it, somebody needs to.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

ExecuDork posted:

I can picture the entire stretch of highway from Red deer to Edson, through Rimbey. I used to do it to figure out if i was too tired to drive home.

I can still also view pretty clearly in my head most of highway 43, including elevation changes.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

YYC goons, I'll be in town for the week of September 24 for work related "training". Free most evenings as far as I know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

McTinkerson posted:

YYC goons, I'll be in town for the week of September 24 for work related "training". Free most evenings as far as I know.

What are your thoughts on curling?