Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Food Boner posted:

he kills dooku with two lightsabers

I mean he doesn't do much fighting with them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

Halloween Jack posted:

He kills Dracula with a cross made of light, it rules

:stare:

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Halloween Jack posted:

Posts like this are why I stick around in this thread.

DeimosRising posted:

Dooku is not a Dracula any more than the Starkiller is a Death Star!

And ones like this. Even if this dude is tongue in cheek, it's still in the spirit of jivjovian pedantry.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

The action in that scene is not (just) bad because of the choreography. It's bad visual storytelling in general, but people are distracted by "Five New Things People Haven't Done With Lightsabers Before".

I’m tempted to rewatch it to try and parse what’s going on because I remember being baffled by how the choreography was totally at odds with what was going on when it wasn’t totally incoherent but I didn’t like the movie so I probably won’t spend the time

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

i watched that scene again, its on youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fyIPvIjVMYo

my real issue is why does just about every star wars action sequence across every single medium use that exact same music

Dishwasher
Dec 5, 2006

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!

Halloween Jack posted:

Well poo poo. That's unironically dope as gently caress. :aaa:

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
The villainous Count D played by Christopher Lee, hmm.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

No discussion of that scene is complete without a shoutout to guy getting thrown into snoke's throne room wood chipper, probably the only unambiguously good thing in the entire film

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

cuntman.net posted:

i watched that scene again, its on youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fyIPvIjVMYo

my real issue is why does just about every star wars action sequence across every single medium use that exact same music

John Williams

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

CelticPredator posted:

John Williams

That lazy hack!

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Schwarzwald posted:

This audio clip between George Lucas and Robin Williams was recently posted on Ahmed Best's twitter account.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nMp5Zb2xYO0

Lucas: "What [the fans] loved when they were ten-year-olds, they definitely didn't like when they were like thirty. So they expected to sort of have that same reaction, and they couldn't, it was still for ten-year-olds."
Can confirm. I loved JarJar as a literal ten year old. I'm hoping IX caters firmly to the children demographic.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
No joke I had a photo taken with a giant cardboard cutout of Jar-Jar Binks on my 12th birthday. My parents rented it from a party store.

I hated Jar-Jar but I told them I liked it. I did get a Captain Tarpauls action figure, which was rad. :pwn:

e: more accurately I think I had a disdain for Jar-Jar but I thought "he was for little kids, he wasn't that bad."

Harime Nui fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Aug 15, 2018

Question Friend
Aug 3, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Jar Jar has always been great and so is the Gungan faction in the Age of Empires 2 Star Wars edition

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Waffles Inc. posted:

Jar Jar has always been great and so is the Gungan faction in the Age of Empires 2 Star Wars edition

Hey that game was awesome. Force_ore for lyfe

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I remember years and years ago there was a minor controversy when Lucas was quoted as saying that people who hate Jar Jar are "failures at life" but it never became a thing because it was 2005 and people didn't seem to have as much of a hair trigger about that sort of thing. Unfortunately the only source seems to be SuperShadow, but I would like to believe it is true because I have long enjoyed Lucas's occasionally less-than-cordial relationship with the Star Wars fandom.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

SMG once posted a pdf if a film school interview of Lucas where he echoed some of those sentiments. I haven’t been able to find it for years tho.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
As I said, the source is SuperShadow by way of Wikiquote, which is pretty dubious (doesn't really sound exactly like Lucas to me, as much as I hope he did say it), but here's the quote for what it's worth:

quote:

I don't like to cast aspersions on the fans because I know you mean well, but what I have found is that ninety-nine percent of the Jar Jar Binks haters are failures at life. In essence, these haters are taking out their frustrations on Jar Jar. I don't mean to be cruel, but we need to examine the facts. The most popular Star Wars collectibles are all Jar Jar-related. Now, the failures at life who have no money, no women, and no future will spend all day on the Internet talking about how they hate Jar Jar Binks. This is very sad. The Phantom Menace is one of the top five films of all time.

Some other amusing Lucas quotes I found while I was looking for it:

quote:

The fans are all upset. They’re always going to be upset. Why did he do it like this? And why didn’t he do it like this? They write their own movie, and then, if you don’t do their movie, they get upset about it.

(On Kingdom of the Crystal Skull)

quote:

Don't avoid the cliches — they are cliches because they work!

(Advice to the Disney Imagineers developing Star Tours in 1985)

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

DeimosRising posted:

I’m tempted to rewatch it to try and parse what’s going on because I remember being baffled by how the choreography was totally at odds with what was going on when it wasn’t totally incoherent but I didn’t like the movie so I probably won’t spend the time

Well here's a big, obvious example.

In the first big one-take shot of the fight scene, the idea might have been that the heroes are trapped in the middle with overwhelming redness on each side.

However, the shot is perhaps-unwittingly composed so that - for the majority of its duration - all the emphasis is on this guy:

That's the infamous two-knife guy. He's not only the most prominent character onscreen, but he's also perfectly in focus and lined up with the 'power-point' on the image. He's essentially the protagonist of the shot.

The entire centre and right side of the screen basically read as noise. Even though there's a part where Rey grabs Kylo's crotch, you probably missed it because everything in the shot draws your attention to this performer pretending to be stunned when Rey hits his knife (?). They then flub the choreography, and he has to swing his blade away from Daisy Ridley's head to avoid hitting the actress.

Again, the shot is designed in such a way that it draws your attention to this.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
What baffled me is why the red guys were fighting in the first place. Like, Snoke is dead at that point. Isn't Kylo Ren their boss now? Was Snoke their dad or something?

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Mechafunkzilla posted:

What baffled me is why the red guys were fighting in the first place. Like, Snoke is dead at that point. Isn't Kylo Ren their boss now? Was Snoke their dad or something?

If Pence murdered Trump in front of the Secret Service, they wouldn't say, "Welp, I guess that's that, Pence is the new boss."

...actually, that might be a bad example. But you get my point.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

thrawn527 posted:

If Pence murdered Trump in front of the Secret Service, they wouldn't say, "Welp, I guess that's that, Pence is the new boss."

...actually, that might be a bad example. But you get my point.

You'd think the Sith henchmen would be used to apprentices killing their masters. They know what the deal is.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Mechafunkzilla posted:

They're Snoke's guards. They don't magically switch to following Ben because Ben murdered Snoke

soulfulspinster
Aug 2, 2012

Mechafunkzilla posted:

You'd think the Sith henchmen would be used to apprentices killing their masters. They know what the deal is.

Doesn't it just come on down to furien rules at that point, Kylo kills Snoak, they kill Kylo, one of them takes off the helmet and is Vin Diesel. The whole thing works.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
I remember reading once about how the Varangian Guard heard someone was trying to kill the Emperor, but by the time they got into the throne room the assassin had already killed him and declared himself Emperor, so they were like "our job is to protect the Emperor" and pledged loyalty to the new Emperor.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

jivjov posted:

They're Snoke's guards. They don't magically switch to following Ben because Ben murdered Snoke

But their job is to protect the Supreme Leader. And the Supreme Leader is Kylo Ren after Snoke gets chopped in half.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

porfiria posted:

I remember reading once about how the Varangian Guard heard someone was trying to kill the Emperor, but by the time they got into the throne room the assassin had already killed him and declared himself Emperor, so they were like "our job is to protect the Emperor" and pledged loyalty to the new Emperor.

Because they killed him and the new Emperor was their guy all along.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

sassassin posted:

Because they killed him and the new Emperor was their guy all along.

That would make sense but it's also not as funny so it didn't go down like that.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
The intended metaphor is that the red curtain represents the dark version of God worshipped by Snoke. (The imagery is pretty on-the-nose. "We are the spark that'll light the fire...".) According to the exposition, Snoke wants to literally remove the concept of free will from the galaxy because he sees it as a threat to the concept of an omnipotent God - i.e. that God should be omnipotent, but isn't. Therefore the goal of Snoke's church (which is never shown) is to make God omnipotent.

The guards being clothed entirely in red does not represent submission to Snoke but to the church in general, and ultimately to this God.

Also, I should probably note that two-knife guy deliberately misses Rey, while she's not paying attention, twice in the shot.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

jivjov posted:

Hux (to Kylo, who just murdered the Supreme Leader, in the scene right after he killed him): "Long live the Supreme Leader."

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

ruddiger posted:

Hux (to Kylo, who just murdered the Supreme Leader, in the scene right after he killed him): "Long live the Supreme Leader."

After it's made clear he says that or he will also be killed.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
There are large parts of that battle scene that feel straight out of a parody. Like in the opening moments SMG screencapped above, the group of descending guards have these very obvious pauses and inexplicable stumbles that look more like West Side Story than a modern action movie. The rest of the scene is rife with 1-on-1 moments that just beg the question "where are the rest of the guards?"

The Darth Maul battle is so much better.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

The intended metaphor is that the red curtain represents the dark version of God worshipped by Snoke. (The imagery is pretty on-the-nose. "We are the spark that'll light the fire...".) According to the exposition, Snoke wants to literally remove the concept of free will from the galaxy because he sees it as a threat to the concept of an omnipotent God - i.e. that God should be omnipotent, but isn't. Therefore the goal of Snoke's church (which is never shown) is to make God omnipotent.

The guards being clothed entirely in red does not represent submission to Snoke but to the church in general, and ultimately to this God.

Also, I should probably note that two-knife guy deliberately misses Rey, while she's not paying attention, twice in the shot.

Two Knife Guy is in love with Rey.

Papercut posted:

There are large parts of that battle scene that feel straight out of a parody. Like in the opening moments SMG screencapped above, the group of descending guards have these very obvious pauses and inexplicable stumbles that look more like West Side Story than a modern action movie. The rest of the scene is rife with 1-on-1 moments that just beg the question "where are the rest of the guards?"

It does come off as very stagy yeah, would read better if you were sitting 300 feet away.

Terry Grunthouse
Apr 9, 2007

I AM GOING TO EAT YOU LOOK MY TEETH ARE REALLY GOOD EATERS

Even though there's a part where Rey grabs Kylo's crotch, you probably missed it

can someone get a screengrab of this plz

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
^^^Ditto

That scene rules. I like the guy getting tossed into the random wood chipper, the whole place going up in flames and the part where Rey throws Kylo a lightsaber and he ignites it through a guy's face.

Do you killjoys watch kung-fu movies in this manner? Hey why is that guy just doing flips in the background instead of stabbing Bruce Lee in the back???

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Papercut posted:

Enemies attacking one at a time is hardly exclusive to The Last Jedi. It even happened in Bruce Lee movies all the time.

edit: Beaten, even on the Bruce Lee reference.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
To be fair, choreography has come a long with since Bruce Lee. Even Enter the Dragon has him kicking a lot of guys who are offscreen.

Also, these movies ought to be flawless given the budget.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Halloween Jack posted:

Unless you're going to cast based on athletic ability and fight choreography experience, it's mostly impossible to get scenes that are on the level you're talking about. There's no amount of training or practice that someone like Daisy Ridley or Adam Driver can do in the time available that would allow them to perform the kind of choreography that would be considered top of the line today.

It's one thing to hire the guys from The Raid to play random mooks and design the choreography. It's another to actually have them cast in all the major roles like in The Raid films, or a movie like Ip Man; there's just no comparison. It's also a big part of what makes John Wick so special, they managed to get one of the very few big name actors who has the experience and skill necessary to pull of the complex choreography. And even then, it's not perfect(as much as I do love the John Wick films there are flaws if you want to nitpick).

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Halloween Jack posted:

To be fair, choreography has come a long with since Bruce Lee. Even Enter the Dragon has him kicking a lot of guys who are offscreen.

This is more my point, the scene feels incredibly dated for something that came out in 2017. Like the Obi Wan-Vader battle in ANH is just them tapping sabers for a bit, but I cut it slack because it was done 40 years ago on a fraction of the budget.

The Darth Maul battle was done almost 20 years ago and I can still watch it without seeing anything that feels ridiculous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Basebf555 posted:

And even then, it's not perfect(as much as I do love the John Wick films there are flaws if you want to nitpick).

Wrong