Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiptoes
Apr 30, 2006

You are my underwater, underwater friends!

RCarr posted:

Is Sony Michel healthy and practicing now? I can't find any real updates on his knee injury from earlier in the month.

I guess he's my best option at #2 overall if I need a RB that will produce immediately, right?

If I could move that pick for Mixon($21), or Drake ($19), would that be a better option?
Michel is not practicing yet. He was going to rest for ~10 days before getting eased back into practice. So his Week 1 status is up in the air but I think he still produces this season. The Pats didn't even bring anyone in for a workout so they don't seem too concerned.

I think Mixon would be good value but not Drake. I like Mixon's breakout potential this year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

RCarr posted:

Is Sony Michel healthy and practicing now? I can't find any real updates on his knee injury from earlier in the month.

I guess he's my best option at #2 overall if I need a RB that will produce immediately, right?

If I could move that pick for Mixon($21), or Drake ($19), would that be a better option?

Man, the number two spot just took one helluva hit. Perry, Guice and Michel all having issues off the bat. Kerryon Johnson might be the best option at two for short term production. I haven't had a chance to look at his game yet, so not sure how I feel about him. I'm only two games into my preseason watching. Here are my dumb thoughts so far.

I've changed my mind about Barkley. I don't even care about his big run. His other runs were equally impressive. He has a fascinating combination of power and patience.

My new big concern is I think the Giants are dumb enough to put him in a timeshare with Stewart. I just kept watching them rotate Stewart in on that first drive and remembered this staff is all from Carolina, with their old OC. I don't trust Shula not to be dumb about his usage.

Nick Chubb really underwhelmed me. He showed no ability to create against back ups. I know they aren't game planning in the first game, but I specifically look for how athletic a guy looks against his competition. He didn't look very athletic. Hopefully he shows more next week.

Baker Mayfield is the truth. I don't think he made a bad decision and I love his release. I didn't think I could be any higher on Mayfield. I was wrong.

In the Bears game, the guy who stood out to me the most was Adam Shaheen. Everyone is talking up Burton, but Shaheen was taken in the second last year. He is built more like Kelce. I am not sure if I'm just being a Bears homer, but he looks like a potential matchup nightmare.

Alfalfa
Apr 24, 2003

Superman Don't Need No Seat Belt

Sataere posted:

Nick Chubb really underwhelmed me. He showed no ability to create against back ups. I know they aren't game planning in the first game, but I specifically look for how athletic a guy looks against his competition. He didn't look very athletic. Hopefully he shows more next week.

Chubb did fine. His line was total garbage and didn't give him a chance.

I think even PFF credited him with 26 yards after contact and he only finished with 11 total yards. That's how abysmal the line was.

Marshmallow Blue
Apr 25, 2010
Hey dudes, this might have been posted here but Nerve is running the Game of Roto for it's 7th season. It's an auction league with keeper options. Super fun, super cool.

We're moving from 12 to 14 slots so there's 2 teams open for grabs! Seriously the only free league that's more fun is my dynasty league but that's all full so you'll have to join this one.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3863885

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

89 posted:

I've jumped into the rabbit hole that is Dynasty settings.

I'm thinking CBS might be the best route and just split it among league fees. The CBS app is superior over MFL's poor app. Anyways.

Mostly Fish Bowl scoring system. Maybe IDP with 1 DL, 2 LB, 1 DB.

So, that's 30 players per team? Preferably 12 teams. Maybe 16 teams would be better so half the league doesn't make the playoffs between 4 divisions? Or maybe cut it to 2 divisions with 14 teams? I just don't like half the league making the playoffs. That's too many teams making the playoffs.

If I went with a larger team count, I'd knock off a couple of Flex spots. If it was 16 teams, maybe I would just roll with 1QB / 2RB / 3WR / 2TE / 1 Flex / 1 SuperFlex / 1 DB / 1 DL / 1 LB / 1 IDP Flex

I liked this system somebody talked about on Reddit:

I'm just not sure how you could prevent people from signing almost their entire team to 5 year contracts. Also, can CBS keep track of which contracts each player is on?

Then, maybe Rookie players are automatically assigned 4 year deals.

Rookie Draft is NFL style draft. In order of the way teams finished so everyone still fights till the end to be able to draft the best rookie. Worst team gets first pick. Best team gets last pick. Worst team gets first pick of 2nd round, etc. Only 2 or 3 rounds. Considering making the salaries of the higher drafted rookies cost more, but that might be too much.

Free Agency is an auction draft and is exactly what it sounds like. What you have to spend is what you have in your team budget.

$200 Team Budget so research is easier.

Taxi Squads....I haven't gotten that far yet.

I know some of this is basic stuff, I'm just trying to make sure I have it down correctly..

EDIT: Maybe CBS isn't the best. Maybe MFL? But their app is sooooooooooooooooo bad, ugh

Just some comments:
Based on the rules you posted, you would not sign all your guys to 5-year contracts for two reasons... A) you only have 50 years worth of cap and you have a bench of 25-30 players so you are going to have to average something like 2 years or less per player; and B) you eat that contract for its full term even if the player dies or is poo poo, so you really do not want to slap 5-year contracts onto lottery ticket type players willy-nilly

30 is a deep bench for 12 teams, even with IDP. Our league is at 25 and that seems pretty good, it forces everyone to consider their bench slots carefully. We do add 4 taxi squad slots though, plus two IR slots, so the total if they're all full is 31. If you went with more than 12 teams, you might need to tweak that.

Consider adjusting scoring to make IDP players about as important as non-IDP ones. In superflex the QB position is the most important but otherwise, we find it good to have (say) a good linebacker be as valuable as a good running back. Otherwise, IDP becomes an afterthought and using bench slots for IDP guys is disadvantageous, so everyone will just stream guys that aren't the half-dozen top stars of IDP, without much care or commitment to building a dynasty IDP stable.

An option with 12 teams is to create three four-team divisions. With a 13 week season, each team plays division rivals twice, and all but one of the other teams once; rotate the schedule so the one non-division team they don't play changes on an 8-year cycle. This leaves you with playoffs for weeks 14-16: we use the first week for a wildcard matchup, and the remaining two for a semifinals and finals match, plus a two-week consolation tournament. The end result is ranked winners from fourth to first place (the losers of the semifinals play one another for third/fourth) plus a consolation bracket winner who can get some kind of prize, and that's good for keeping teams who are eliminated from playoff contention interested and engaged. Alternatively, you can run a 13-week season, which lets each team play division rivals twice and every other team once: that only leaves you with 2 weeks for playoffs, so you likely cannot have wildcards, so you'll either only have division champs get into the playoffs (kinda sucks if you see one division champ with a much worse record than the #2 team in another division!) or you'll have to let in 6, which is half the league and kinda seems like too many. But you could still manage it if you have a wildcard week and then a free-for-all multi-team championship week I guess, some kinda ranked scoring three-way fight? There's possibilities, anyway.

Being able to trade future draft picks is cool and good in my opinion. This is a good reason to keep a non-auction draft for rookies on your schedule. You'll also need to decide what to do about veteran free agents... when owners can drop them, whether there's an offseason where teams are locked, and how they pick them back up. Assuming you're doing FAAB/auction for free agents, you'll need to decide on how teams get budgets and how they're spent, and also salary escalation year over year. If you're just doing contracts and no salaries, that's interesting, I've not seen that before but it sounds like it could work. Free agents would only be available if you still had some contract space left under your 50-year cap I guess? What happens when there's a sudden star free agent that everyone wants, do you do waiver wire priority or something?

What I would suggest you do (what we did) is find your interested parties and get them involved in the rulemaking process. The more engaged people are, and the more they feel a sense of ownership in the rules and structure, the less likely you are to have people who rebel against the commissioner or make accusations of unfairness. You can also find out early on (before the team draft) if you've got one or two owners who are gonna be a problem (they're not engaged at all, or they're overly argumentative, or they're just really stupid, or whatever).

Put all your rules in a shared document (like on google docs) in an organized way so everyone can see them, and you can comment on them and track changes and stuff. If my experience is anything to go by, you'll be tweaking the rules for the first few years as you start to find out what is and isn't working for the league.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

This is all such great info as I'm starting a dynasty league and we don't have any idea what we're doing.

And I have no idea what a taxi squad is.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

kiimo posted:

This is all such great info as I'm starting a dynasty league and we don't have any idea what we're doing.

And I have no idea what a taxi squad is.

Taxi squad is a set of players a team has but can't start. Its basically a roster for players you hope develop. Like last year I drafted mahomes and kept him there. I activated him this week, moving him to my starting roster. You usually have to make room for a your taxi squad player on the active roster when u activate one.

Its separate than an ir list.

There are various ways to utilize one. My league just uses them as a dev roster. Other leagues here let taxi players be bid on in waivers, stolen, or other things.

E: some leagues also use "devy players" which is just drafting college guys that would be eligible to enter the draft the following season. I've seen them on taxi squads and active rosters depending on league rules.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

So it's a practice squad

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

kiimo posted:

So it's a practice squad

Basically.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

From here on out I'll refer to it as Taxi Squad! and think fondly about Liam Neeson coaching up these guys in his own unique way.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

PPR Dynasty Salary Cap League - 25 man rosters - 1QB/2RB/2WR/3FLEX/1TE - $250 salary cap (salaries increase by 10% each year)

RCarr posted:

My team:

Just received an offer of:

His: Fournette ($29)

for

My: Robby Anderson($3), Allen Robinson ($12), 2018 1.02, and 2019 1st round pick

Thoughts?

Zauper
Aug 21, 2008

RCarr posted:

PPR Dynasty Salary Cap League - 25 man rosters - 1QB/2RB/2WR/3FLEX/1TE - $250 salary cap (salaries increase by 10% each year)

for

My: Robby Anderson($3), Allen Robinson ($12), 2018 1.02, and 2019 1st round pick

Thoughts?

It's terrible for you.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

RCarr posted:

for

Thoughts?

Tell him to get hosed.

Zauper
Aug 21, 2008

89 posted:

I've jumped into the rabbit hole that is Dynasty settings.

I have some thoughts.

First thing to think about is bench depth. With dynasty, you need benches to be deep enough that you can develop players, since that's the point of dynasty, and the question is how deep to make them. Too deep, and the waivers are uninteresting because there's no value. Too shallow and you can't develop. You can also tinker with taxi squads (and theft) to get this to the right spot.

Second thing to think about is scoring. I generally favor superflex because it makes QBs useful. If you include IDP, you both need to make sure IDP scoring is such that they score competitively with offensive players, and that the IDP starter set is deep enough that the IDP players also have value. I also lean towards a variant on scottbowl scoring -- essentially looking at including points per first and things like +completions/-incompletes for QBs. I lean towards having at most 1 guaranteed starter per position with the rest being flexes -- this lets people craft positional preferences. The issue with having 2 required RB starting slots is it increases the value of RBs relative to other positional players, because there are only so many bellcows, and so many with high potential behind them. Let people figure out how they best want to fill out [#offensive starters].

Oh, and it's a little weird that auction leagues use auctions for the startup and then nothing else. There's a format that uses rankings and picks (which they convert into auction dollars based on placement) to create rookie auctions with uneven starting cash that seems like it would be an interesting structure.

Zauper fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Aug 15, 2018

Alfalfa
Apr 24, 2003

RCarr posted:

for

Thoughts?

Robby, Robinson, & 1.02

Robby, Robinson, 2019 1st

Robby, 1.02, & 2019 1st

I would counter with any of those but no chance I'm basically paying 3 1sts + robby for 4net

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Zauper posted:

It's terrible for you.

Spermy Smurf posted:

Tell him to get hosed.

I originally offered the 1.02 plus Allen Robinson for Fournette. This was his counter.

What should my counter offer be?

Edit:

Alfalfa posted:

Robby, Robinson, & 1.02

Robby, Robinson, 2019 1st

Robby, 1.02, & 2019 1st

I would counter with any of those but no chance I'm basically paying 3 1sts + robby for 4net

Thanks

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
I think offering two firsts plus a WR1 is way too high also.

Two WR1's plus a first is still too high.

I think two of those three things is fair, but not all 3 things.

Your offer was fair imo. He knows you're desperate and smells blood. Find a new trade partner. Offer your first offer for Mixon.

Zauper
Aug 21, 2008

RCarr posted:

I originally offered the 1.02 plus Allen Robinson for Fournette. This was his counter.

What should my counter offer be?

Allen Robinson, 1.02, and a 2019 first?

Edit:

Thanks

Your counter should not exist. 1.02 + Arob ($12) is an overpayment for 4net.

re: alfalfa; arob at $12 is worth way more than a 1st. He's worth 2+ firsts still.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Counter with Robby Anderson + 1.02?

Edit: I guess I should probably just stay put. My WR's are so ridiculously stacked that I should be able to overcome whatever lovely RB corps I end up with after the draft. I can always make a trade in-season if I need to.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Spermy Smurf posted:

Offer your first offer for Mixon.

You're saying offer Allen Robinson + 1.02 for Mixon? How is that a good offer, but the same offer for Fournette isn't?

Edit: drat double post, sorry.

Alfalfa
Apr 24, 2003

Zauper posted:

Your counter should not exist. 1.02 + Arob ($12) is an overpayment for 4net.

re: alfalfa; arob at $12 is worth way more than a 1st. He's worth 2+ firsts still.

Yes but Arob Aint that good. His name has way more value than what he's actually going to produce.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

I'm not sure how accurate this is, Arob is valued at $18 in the auction calculations based on my league's settings.

I feel like Arob + 1.02 is a fair deal for both sides. I think I'll just leave that offer on that table and if he doesn't want it, then fine.

RCarr fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Aug 15, 2018

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

RCarr posted:

You're saying offer Allen Robinson + 1.02 for Mixon? How is that a good offer, but the same offer for Fournette isn't?

Edit: drat double post, sorry.

I think it's a slight overpay for Fournette, but not hugely. Two of the three is a slight overpay. Three like you were planning to offer is terrible.

I think you offering all of Robinson/Robby/1st is bad. Same with 1st/1st/either-WR. Two is fine. Three is bad.

Fournette and Mixon are on the same tier for me this year, so if you offered it for Fournette and didn't get accepted just try the same offer for Mixon knowing it's probably a slight overpay for "right now production" where you're weakest.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Spermy Smurf posted:

I think it's a slight overpay for Fournette, but not hugely. Two of the three is a slight overpay. Three like you were planning to offer is terrible.

I think you offering any three of Robinson/Robby/1st is bad. Very bad. Just terrible.

Fournette and Mixon are on the same tier for me this year, so if you offered it for Fournette and didn't get accepted just try the same offer for Mixon knowing it's probably a slight overpay for "right now production" where you're weakest.

I thought his counter was terrible as well, I just wanted to get some 3rd party thoughts on it, because I tend to overvalue my own players. (Don't we all?)

I can almost certainly get Mixon ($21) for just the 1.02 alone. I just see Fournette as A LOT more valuable than Mixon, but maybe that's just me.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

What are the contracts associated with both first round picks? I'm curious how it'll impact those trades?

I also think that your receivers are more likely to go up in value as the season progresses. No need to sell low.

Alfalfa posted:

Chubb did fine. His line was total garbage and didn't give him a chance.

I think even PFF credited him with 26 yards after contact and he only finished with 11 total yards. That's how abysmal the line was.

His line was terrible and he was constantly hit behind the line of scrimmage. My worry is that all the Cleveland running backs were in that same situation and he just didn't do anything to make me like him. And I want to like him. I'm being very picky though, as I don't think preseason means poo poo.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Sataere posted:

What are the contracts associated with both first round picks? I'm curious how it'll impact those trades?

Picks 1-4 are $20, picks 5-8 are $18, picks 9-10 are $16.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I'm confused about the 50 year limit rule.

If I have 25 roster size that's an average of two years per player. Let's say I assign more players to have shorter rosters. After a few years I could have a year where a ton of them come up. Now I have a team with less players than other teams come draft time. How does that work? Do I need to drop a player who has a contract up and then pick up his replacement from free agency before the draft?

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
MFL is so confusing. I've literally been going through the settings for a couple of hours and I'm still confused. Feel like I'm gonna miss one tiny thing that's gonna blow up in my face.

Can I just pay someone like $10 to set up my MFL dynasty and then give me control? lol.

So many questions...

When someone decides to drop someone before their contract is up, they eat the remaining contract still, right? So, what happens when someone else picks that player up? Do they take over the old contract or do they get a new contract? Does the old team still pay the old contract?

89 fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Aug 16, 2018

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

89 posted:

MFL is so confusing. I've literally been going through the settings for a couple of hours and I'm still confused. Feel like I'm gonna miss one tiny thing that's gonna blow up in my face.

Can I just pay someone like $10 to set up my MFL dynasty and then give me control? lol.

MFL is very configurable but everything else about it sucks. Don't pay for MFL. Use like, fleaflicker or something instead.

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps

pmchem posted:

MFL is very configurable but everything else about it sucks. Don't pay for MFL. Use like, fleaflicker or something instead.

Doesn't FleaFlicker not have Salary Caps/Contracts?

It seems like balancing your Salary Cap has to be a must with a dynasty league. Otherwise, you'd just keep some players forever without much repercussion.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

RCarr posted:

Picks 1-4 are $20, picks 5-8 are $18, picks 9-10 are $16.

The case could be made that you are trading $20, $12 (assuming fournette makes you a playoff team) and $12 for a $29 contract helps balance out some inequity. $42 to $29 is a decent value return.

If you think Fournette is going to be a high-end back for the next few years, it is worth exploring this option.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

pmchem posted:

No site has as many options as MFL. It's a huge pain to learn where everything is, but once you do, it's the best by far for managing a dynasty league with complex custom rules.

89 posted:

So many questions...

When someone decides to drop someone before their contract is up, they eat the remaining contract still, right? So, what happens when someone else picks that player up? Do they take over the old contract or do they get a new contract? Does the old team still pay the old contract?

While MFL's interface is awful, it is at least documented. Check the help, a lot. I found it good to have it open on a separate monitor at all times while I was doing configuration.

The contract business I can't help you with, as I have never used them.
http://www64.myfantasyleague.com/2018/support?SEARCH=contract&L=79286

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
What's the point of player values if you don't do contracts? Outside of the Year One Auction Draft and then the Free Agency Auction Draft (just during those actual drafts)?

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

89 posted:

What's the point of player values if you don't do contracts? Outside of the Year One Auction Draft and then the Free Agency Auction Draft (just during those actual drafts)?

Here’s my hot take on a dynasty league:

Do year 1 auction, then anyone auctioned for X kept costs (1.1*X+5) the next year. Repeat infinitely to keep a guy repeatedly. Rookies and anyone not kept goes into the auction pool. Teams can not exceed their auction budget in keepers.

Boom done and easily implemented on any website using a spreadsheet.

Alfalfa
Apr 24, 2003

89 posted:

So many questions...

In my contract/salary league, if you cut someone you are penalized 60% of their salary and 40% the following year if it’s a multi-year contract.

Once they are dropped the go back in the auction/waiver pool and it resets to league minimum until bid on.

Also. Just find a dynasty league that is set up how you like and just copy all their settings. That’s easiest.

I can share our settings. I’m in the following.
16 Team Salary & Contract w/ IDP, coaches, oline, punters, and kickers
32 Team Salary & Contract w/ IDP
16 Team no salary or contract offense only
12 Team Salary w/ IDP - Goon one
12 Team Salary & Contract w/ IDP
96 Team Contract offense only

Alfalfa fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Aug 16, 2018

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

Alfalfa posted:

I can share our settings. I’m in the following.

96 Team Contract offense only

Holy poo poo :stare: Can you tell me a little more about this?

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

89 posted:

Doesn't FleaFlicker not have Salary Caps/Contracts?

It seems like balancing your Salary Cap has to be a must with a dynasty league. Otherwise, you'd just keep some players forever without much repercussion.

CBS is what we use for our dynasty salary cap league. Maybe check them out.

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps

Alfalfa posted:

One copy and paste from either of those leagues please :D

Alfalfa
Apr 24, 2003

IllegallySober posted:

Holy poo poo :stare: Can you tell me a little more about this?

96 teams in one single division. 6 copies of each athlete available so you have 6 chances to get a player and 95 trade partners.

You win your money back if you break .500

It’s like the Wild West of dynasty football.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alfalfa
Apr 24, 2003

89 posted:

One copy and paste from either of those leagues please :D

Will shoot you a PM tomorrow with it when I get to work.