Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Spatial posted:

God drat, I didn't know how bad it really was.

I highly encourage everyone to google for some pictures of her injures. They're wildly available and tend to change people's minds in seconds.

And by "everyone" I mean everyone who take's Mc. Donald's side in the argument, in which I don't give a gently caress over how grossed out they are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Outrail posted:

Besides that, if the workers had their way they'd be barely trained using gently caress all safety gear. The companies instituted 90% of the changes because they realized getting sued millions of dollars wasn't worth it.
:popeye:

Having a class of autocratic overlords over workers is necessary because otherwise workers would work unsafely is certainly a molten lava take

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

comedyblissoption posted:

Having a class of autocratic overlords over workers is necessary because otherwise workers would work unsafely is certainly a molten lava take

might i direct you to the osha thread

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT

Renegret posted:

I highly encourage everyone to google for some pictures of her injures. They're wildly available and tend to change people's minds in seconds.

And by "everyone" I mean everyone who take's Mc. Donald's side in the argument, in which I don't give a gently caress over how grossed out they are.

I knew for a long time it was much worse than the myth of a silly stupid woman up and mildly scalding herself but :stonk:

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Phrosphor posted:

It was actually a crucial turning point in how corporations treat people.

Slightly sturdier cups and bigger warnings. The coffee is still served at blazing temperatures IIRC.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

SplitSoul posted:

Slightly sturdier cups and bigger warnings. The coffee is still served at blazing temperatures IIRC.

That's not what that post means, they're saying it's one of the critical points where corporations started actively plotting against individual people and using the vast machinery of society at their disposal to achieve that goal, not that McDonalds actually fixed anything.

Kazak
Jan 10, 2012

Shut the gently caress up about coffee, and in general

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

ate all the Oreos posted:

That's not what that post means, they're saying it's one of the critical points where corporations started actively plotting against individual people and using the vast machinery of society at their disposal to achieve that goal, not that McDonalds actually fixed anything.

Oh, right. Hadn't had my first cup yet. I just wanted to point out that the articles were wrong regarding changes in McDonald's serving practices.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/auorebd/status/1029441019459321856

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

I'm Lowtax Chloe

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

I'm Lowtax Chloe

:chloe:

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003

https://forums.somethingawful.com/newreply.php?action=newreply&postid=487052407

Remember workers want to be safe it's just corporations that are preventing PPE use I mean lol have you ever even worked with blue collars

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018

thatguy posted:

Remember workers want to be safe it's just corporations that are preventing PPE use I mean lol have you ever even worked with blue collars

A family member is a safety inspector and told me the other day he caught a guy moving a very large propane tank which was just unsecured and balanced on top of one of the forks, like 8 feet up in the air. He asked him if he should call the suicide prevention hotline because he obviously wanted to kill himself and the dude got all offended.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

I reverse-gis'd that and Google tagged it as "memes that shouldn't exist"

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

I reverse-gis'd that and Google tagged it as "memes that shouldn't exist"

Surely they could find a better map than that.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

HugeGrossBurrito posted:

A family member is a safety inspector and told me the other day he caught a guy moving a very large propane tank which was just unsecured and balanced on top of one of the forks, like 8 feet up in the air. He asked him if he should call the suicide prevention hotline because he obviously wanted to kill himself and the dude got all offended.

Christ. When I lived in Bangkok it was common that I'd see the propane delivery scooter guys smoking a cigarette with a phone in one hand while riding around, but even they at least had the tanks strapped down to the back of the scooter with bungee cords.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
I haven't been there, but based on you tube videos I don't think the smoking or the propane tanks made any significant increases to their projected mortality beyond 'riding a scooter in Bangkok'.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Kill Bill

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

I thought they cleaned up Jonestown.

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003
Reasons why workers perform in an unsafe manner

1. Because they haven't yet seized the means of production

quote:

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. – Publix Supermarkets Inc. has been cited by the U.S. Department of Labor's Occupational Safety and Health Administration for 16 safety and health violations at its 9786 W. Beaver St. distribution facility in Jacksonville after receiving a complaint in September that a worker's hand was amputated while cleaning conveyor equipment. Proposed penalties total $182,000.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

thatguy posted:

Proposed penalties total $182,000.

Net income $2.292 billion (2017)

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003

quote:

Publix Super Markets, Inc., commonly known as Publix, is an employee-owned, American supermarket chain

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Ah yeah instead of increasing your pay, we'll let you participate in our ESOP where you still have no real voice in your day to day work and if the company does badly, you can lose your job and your savings.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

Inept posted:

Ah yeah instead of increasing your pay, we'll let you participate in our ESOP where you still have no real voice in your day to day work and if the company does badly, you can lose your job and your savings.

My old bank job went through a thing where they stopped paying for breaks, stopped giving people overtime, and started charging everyone for health insurance, all without increasing the wage which was already pretty well below what one would expect to get at a bigger bank. I left and cashed in my ESOP, which was not only worth more from when it first started because of all of that cost cutting, but was also ending completely, meaning everyone in it was forced to end it, and anyone who had been there less than the required years to be vested basically got nothing. So not only was there no even remote incentive to work there, but quitting and cashing in my ESOP wholesale was the better choice than actually working for them since i had been there long enough to be fully vested and get everything that was owed me.

What I'm saying is that ESOPs are kind of nice if you're incredibly lucky and cash in while people are paying attention to the highest point of a sinking ship.

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

the united states potato board lol

Kazak
Jan 10, 2012

I'm a millennial and I especially love baked potatoes. idc if this nets me more targeted potato ads bring em on 🥔

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

CEASE AND DESIST

TIMOTHY'S HOUSE OF HOPE

DISPENSING HOPE MUST CEASE IMMEDIATELY FROM THESE PREMISES

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018

sex excellence
Feb 19, 2011

Satisfaction Guranteed

can i get several scents in one candle? beach babe bacon farts sounds inticing

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Most of my research projects had a consumer profile section. Start a sentence with 'Millennials are poised to become the leading consumer of.....' and brain fart how young people care about things but they're also lazy for half an hour. I wonder how many companies have changed their strategies based on my bullshit.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
Wow, missed opportunity. Should have just been MANDLE and also come in smells like "power tools" and "insecurity."

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018

Sestze
Jun 6, 2004

Cybernetic Crumb
its cause its gross and looks like jizz, OP

elmer chud
May 18, 2018
(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)
If they could make it taste like jizz it wouldn't get hated on so much.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Wow, missed opportunity. Should have just been MANDLE and also come in smells like "power tools" and "insecurity."

One of the most ground-breaking colognes was Dior's 1988 Fahrenheit, a fragrance that turned the concept of cologne on its head and introduced something that smelled dirty: gasoline, motor oil, and tire rubber.

It smells really good.

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

Kazak posted:

I'm a millennial and I especially love baked potatoes. idc if this nets me more targeted potato ads bring em on 🥔

This poo poo happened in my city too.

Fortunately the new mayor we just voted in is cool and is working to undo all these stupid laws.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

PROPERTY VALUES!!!

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

is pepsi ok posted:

This poo poo happened in my city too.

We deserve global warming

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Screaming Idiot posted:

We deserve global warming

That could take literally dozens of years to start killing us off in large numbers. Cleansing thermonuclear fire is where it's at imo.

edit: crosspost

zoux posted:

For too long cheese has been the sole privilege of women

Make Mine MANchego.