Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

I wonder what Deku will look like as he keeps adding power, since he's basically done something new with One for All as he's increased his capability for it. since he's up to 20% now, I wonder if the next arc will demonstrate more training to get to the next level

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

where the red fern gropes posted:

can best jeanist do sick yoyo tricks

Yes. They don't involve his quirk, though.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

Carlosologist posted:

I wonder what Deku will look like as he keeps adding power, since he's basically done something new with One for All as he's increased his capability for it. since he's up to 20% now, I wonder if the next arc will demonstrate more training to get to the next level

Like all might, except with buns and thighs.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

Like all might, except with buns and thighs.

One for All - Full Cowl - Cheeks Style

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Well, we've seen that 100% looks like Super Saiyan, right? Then 50%?

One For All... Kaioken x50!

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

PMush Perfect posted:

Well, we've seen that 100% looks like Super Saiyan, right? Then 50%?

One For All... Kaioken x50!

"One for what -?" *PUNCH*

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Midoriya would be the best Keijo player

Phimose Knight
Mar 5, 2013
So THIS is the singularity. :stare:

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Deku seems to have unlocked some kind of new power from that dream, his glowing hand looks different from his usual full cowl glow.

Prediction, Deku's hand eventually transformers into the Devil Bringer from DMC5 and we get some stylish action.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Rhonne posted:

Prediction, Deku's hand eventually transformers into the Devil Bringer from DMC5

So, it gets cut off and replaced by a robot arm? :v:

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Rhonne posted:

Deku seems to have unlocked some kind of new power from that dream, his glowing hand looks different from his usual full cowl glow.

Prediction, Deku's hand eventually transformers into the Devil Bringer from DMC5 and we get some stylish action.

I am extremely gladdened by the sudden realization that, in this world of superpower quirks, My Hero Academia probably Features Dante From The Devil May Cry Series.

stoic665
Nov 8, 2009

where the red fern gropes posted:

can best jeanist do sick yoyo tricks

Please.
He's called Best Jeanist not mediocre jeanist

Half of Dracula
Oct 24, 2008

Perhaps the same could be
I hope that by the end of the story Best Jeanist is surpassed by an even Better Jeanist

Simulation883
Jan 1, 2007
I kept thinking Mirio constantly falling through his clothes was foreshadowing that he would take down an evil Best Jeanist. It'd be a funny fight at least.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Half of Dracula posted:

I hope that by the end of the story Best Jeanist is surpassed by an even Better Jeanist

He'll retire (after becoming the N°1 Hero) and be replaced by his best student, Bakugo, who is now Better Than Best Jeanist-Explosion Murder.

The proof of this is that he's one of the two students with no hero name yet, alongside Todoroki.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

Blaze Dragon posted:

He'll retire (after becoming the N°1 Hero) and be replaced by his best student, Bakugo, who is now Better Than Best Jeanist-Explosion Murder.

The proof of this is that he's one of the two students with no hero name yet, alongside Todoroki.

I'm pretty sure Iida's hero name is still Tenya also.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Waiting on seeing Best Jeanist on a stakeout at a carnival, manipulating Cotton Candy into the shape of roller coasters and go karts.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

SpacePig posted:

He's the turbo hero Ingenium. Family legacy and that.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

SpacePig posted:

He appears in promotional material as Ingenium. I'm not sure if it was said but it was certainly implied that he took his brother's name after Stain was defeated and he got over his thirst for revenge.

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

Injuryprone posted:

It's for kids.

Please stop posting stuff like this and your previous post, thanks.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

Blaze Dragon posted:

He appears in promotional material as Ingenium. I'm not sure if it was said but it was certainly implied that he took his brother's name after Stain was defeated and he got over his thirst for revenge.

I might have the order of events wrong, but I could've sworn hero names were picked after that, and he didn't feel like he was ready to fully adopt the Ingenium name yet. Or maybe I've missed something in the interim.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Hero names are picked before, and in the Stain fight he says
"Ingenium is the name of the hero that will defeat you!"

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

Terper posted:

Hero names are picked before, and in the Stain fight he says
"Ingenium is the name of the hero that will defeat you!"

During the class, he went with Tenya (having erased Ing...), but upon encountering Stain he evidently changed his mind.

Alopex
May 31, 2012

This is the sleeve I have chosen.
The Nomus don't wear clothes because otherwise Best Jeanist would take them all down in a heartbeat

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Arist posted:

So, it gets cut off and replaced by a robot arm? :v:

It'll be Hatsume's greatest baby. Who doesn't want to see Deku surfing his own rocket arm.

Rouncer
Jul 23, 2009

Alopex posted:

The Nomus don't wear clothes because otherwise Best Jeanist would take them all down in a heartbeat

Actually they all have been shown wearing clothes (pants).

Only one who was or just ended up naked was High End because Endeavor burned all of him up before he regenerated from just his neck.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
https://twitter.com/Phil_Mizuno/status/1029419316792373248

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Iida accepted the Ingenium name in the middle of the Stain fight, which indicated that he had overcome the pile of negative emotions that had led him into the fight in the first place with the help of Deku and Todoroki, showing that his motivations were on the right track to again becoming properly heroic

The fact that Stain didn't recognize this and was still dedicated to killing Iida shows that even though he recognized the fuckedness of some parts of hero society, he was absolutely too far gone on his path of doing murders to recognize anything less than absolute unrealistic perfection

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
Part of the reason Stain lost the battle was because he didn't believe people could change and improve themselves. That's one of the biggest flaws in his ideology, that aside from a few exceptions (All Might and Deku) professional heroes are just greedy opportunists and Stain just does not believe that can ever change. It's because he was misguided there that Todoroki was the one who showed up to assist when Deku called the entire class; he's the perfect counter-example to that part of Stain's ideology. If it wasn't Deku, Todoroki would've still been brooding and not working with Endeavour at all. Deku helped save Todoroki and in turn, the two helped save Iida - both literally, from Stain's attempted murder, and figuratively, from himself and his quest for vengeance.

The Stain fight is so good because it's a beautifully written example for why shonen fights are really clashes of ideology and ideas just with fists instead of words. Even stuff like how it took place in an alleyway was symbolic of Iida's tunnel vision and narrow focus at that moment. It's so good :allears:

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light

Patware posted:

Iida accepted the Ingenium name in the middle of the Stain fight, which indicated that he had overcome the pile of negative emotions that had led him into the fight in the first place with the help of Deku and Todoroki, showing that his motivations were on the right track to again becoming properly heroic

The fact that Stain didn't recognize this and was still dedicated to killing Iida shows that even though he recognized the fuckedness of some parts of hero society, he was absolutely too far gone on his path of doing murders to recognize anything less than absolute unrealistic perfection

I think the fact that Stain was choosing to kill Iida at all, for the heinous crime of being a teenager who reacted badly to a traumatic event, shows that he was way too far gone, nevermind that he kept going after Iida had sorted himself out.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

ActionZero posted:

I think the fact that Stain was choosing to kill Iida at all, for the heinous crime of being a teenager who reacted badly to a traumatic event, shows that he was way too far gone, nevermind that he kept going after Iida had sorted himself out.

Maybe, but you're not reading it in the language of shonen. Stain's actions were monstrous by Deku's view (which is generally shared by the viewer), but the question wasn't if we disliked his actions. It was if his philosophy held up.

The fight started with Iida ignoring Native to focus on Stain, showing the self proclaimed "hero" as someone who cared more about vengeance than doing what was right. His actions were right in line with Stain's view of Hero Society, and therefore Stain defeated him easily.

When Deku arrived, he played pure hero, in the mold of All Might, but that still fell into Stain's philosophy. Real Heroes might be rare, but Stain still believed they existed, and therefore Deku's intervention didn't undermine him. Stain's worldview isn't ours, but it could still be true.

It was Todoroki who proved him wrong, because Todoroki started the sports festival arc as a "false hero", only doing good to get back at his old man. But he changed, something that Stain thought was impossible, showing that Deku's worldview was more valid than Stain's. Iida joining in furthered the point. These "false" heroes were suddenly as real as the real thing (Deku and All Might), and Stain's beliefs were taken apart.

His battle with the Nomu provides an addendum, of course. Stain stops a Nomu to save Deku (proving that his philosophy isn't all wrong) while the pro-hero Endeavor fails to accomplish his goal (showing the flaws in hero society).

It's a pretty beautiful example of fight-as-philosophical-debate that's at the heart of a lot of the genre. You want the heroes to win from the start, but they have to prove why they deserve to if it's going to be satisfying.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
i like to believe that spinner is the only criminal left in japan who still gives a poo poo about stain because his drivel is even more outdated in a post-all might society

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Oxxidation posted:

i like to believe that spinner is the only criminal left in japan who still gives a poo poo about stain because his drivel is even more outdated in a post-all might society

In a post All-Might society, people probably care about Stain's ideology even more. There isn't the shining example of goodness to point to anymore.

Also Dabi is influenced by Stain, he's just less of an annoying fanboy than Spinner

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

chiasaur11 posted:

It was Todoroki who proved him wrong, because Todoroki started the sports festival arc as a "false hero", only doing good to get back at his old man. But he changed, something that Stain thought was impossible, showing that Deku's worldview was more valid than Stain's. Iida joining in furthered the point. These "false" heroes were suddenly as real as the real thing (Deku and All Might), and Stain's beliefs were taken apart.

This isn't true. First of all Stain never saw the sports festival as he was too busy trying to kill Ingenium and the trio points out the fact that whilst he was only trying to kill Ida.

The issue with Stain's philosophy is that it is blind admiration of All Might and how his style of heroics is the only legitimate approach. The manga has a very clear view on this matter, that while All Might and what he did was truly heroic, it creates a model that is impossible to continue long term. It is actually kind of interesting looking at how hero society reacts to Deku, for he carries the same willpower of All Might but his body just cant keep up so they are horrified to see what that type of determination looks like when it is being displayed by someone who is not at the absolute pinnacle of power in the hero world.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Elfgames posted:

actually that's the perview of the hero- String theory

Best Jeanist has this revelation at some point and ascends into a god-like being who can control the very fabric of space-time.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL

Hunt11 posted:

This isn't true. First of all Stain never saw the sports festival as he was too busy trying to kill Ingenium and the trio points out the fact that whilst he was only trying to kill Ida.

It isn't about whether or not Stain saw the sports festival (he didn't, you're right), it's more about what ideas the characters themselves embody. Whether or not Stain can see it, Shotou is the perfect counterexample to Stain's viewpoint, and the tide begins to turn when he--of all the people in the class Deku texted--arrives.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I mean Stain defeats his own point by going on about a whole of stuff but seemingly only ever going after good heroic people and also children.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Half of Dracula posted:

The Vigilante heroes are cute

:agreed:

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

thetoughestbean posted:

In a post All-Might society, people probably care about Stain's ideology even more. There isn't the shining example of goodness to point to anymore.

Also Dabi is influenced by Stain, he's just less of an annoying fanboy than Spinner

dabi has buried his stain posters deep in a closet somewhere and pretends to go temporarily deaf anytime someone mentions his name, it's like having a coheed & cambria phase

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe
Stain doesn't have a point at all his whole ideology is bullshit. Shrigaki's bullshit ideology he made up holds more water than stain's