Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
is motorcycling awesome
yes
hell yes
hell loving yes
View Results

Jcam
Jan 4, 2009

Yourhead
I'm going to check out a couple of bikes for sale privately today, I'm pretty excited. Checking out a 2003 Suzuki Volusia Boulevard, a 2000 Honda Shadow Ace 750, and a 2004 Suzuki Marauder 800. I think all three are in the category of bike I'm looking for, while still being a comfortable/manageable size.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

So my new Yamaha XSR700 has some issues. I've had it for a few weeks and put like 350 miles on it. At first it was just the fuel gauge that didn't work properly. It just flashes like the tank is empty which was annoying but I figured I'd just have them look at it when I went in for it's 600 mile service. Now it's progressed to where the entire speedometer/ info gauge turns off mid ride or sometimes it will flip everything to kilometers and reset all of my trips. I want to take it in to get fixed but this is also my daily transportation. I don't want to be without a ride if I drop it off and they tell me it's going to take time to get the parts in or something.

Has anyone else ever experienced anything like this and if so was it a difficult fix?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Nostalgia4Ass posted:

So my new Yamaha XSR700 has some issues. I've had it for a few weeks and put like 350 miles on it. At first it was just the fuel gauge that didn't work properly. It just flashes like the tank is empty which was annoying but I figured I'd just have them look at it when I went in for it's 600 mile service. Now it's progressed to where the entire speedometer/ info gauge turns off mid ride or sometimes it will flip everything to kilometers and reset all of my trips. I want to take it in to get fixed but this is also my daily transportation. I don't want to be without a ride if I drop it off and they tell me it's going to take time to get the parts in or something.

Has anyone else ever experienced anything like this and if so was it a difficult fix?

If it's just the gauges, take it in and see what they say and just keep riding it if it they say it needs parts. Gauges aren't critical.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Sagebrush posted:

If it's just the gauges, take it in and see what they say and just keep riding it if it they say it needs parts. Gauges aren't critical.

Well I called the shop and made an appointment to bring the bike in. After I got off the phone I went to the garage to look at how hard it'd be to replace the gauge all together. Turns out when the motorcycle was assembled someone didn't seat the cable all the way. I pulled off the water proofing rubber boot and the entire cable came away from the back of the gauge. Once I reseated everything the cable clicked into place and now everything is working properly.

I feel a little stupid I didn't think of that before but it just didn't register that it could be so simple. Now I have to call the shop and cancel the appointment and admit that I clearly don't know a loving thing about fixing motorcycles.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I know a lot of things about fixing motorcycles and it didn't occur to me that there might be a loose cable on the back of the gauge cluster. If I owned that motorcycle, I might have poked around it and eventually located the cable and made a logical deduction about it being loose and then fixed it by reseating it, which is exactly what you did.

Good for you.

When I was a newbie, I once took my motorcycle in to the shop for a clattering buzz somewhere near the front of the engine that only happened at about 4500 RPM and I was terrified that it was the valvetrain starting to come apart. The mechanic took the bike down to the end of the block and back, pulled over, and reached down to wiggle the speedometer cable back and forth against the fender, making the exact sound I was concerned about. 4500 RPM was apparently just the resonant frequency of the cable. He found some self-adhesive foam and stuck it beside the place where the cable was rattling and problem solved.

Another time, after I rebuilt the engine for the first time, I decided that the motor wasn't getting oil properly. Honda 350s don't have oil pressure sensors, so I made that judgment entirely through secondary cues like the sound of the engine and the flow at a tiny oiling port. I called up the shop and told them that I wanted to have it looked at, and they said that I probably had nothing to worry about and the slight weirdnesses I was noticing were common to old 350s -- but they would take a look if I really wanted. I had it towed in on a flatbed and they called me a day later, sounding a bit impressed, to say that yes indeed the oil pump was completely hosed, something they'd never seen on a 350 before, and if I'd tried to ride it in I probably would have blown the engine again.

You just learn these things bit by bit as you go.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Aug 9, 2018

RVT
Nov 5, 2003
I did the MSF course last weekend, spent the week looking at bikes, and found a slightly beat up r3 that seems like a good fit. Called up my car insurance company for a motorcycle policy, and they won't insure the bike because it's a sports bike and I haven't had my motorcycle license for 3 years. Is this a common issue or are they just especially skittish?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

They're stupid and skittish (and wrong, it's not a sports bike) but it's sadly a common issue. When I first got my license, all of the insurance companies had a list of motorcycles that they just plain would not insure -- basically anything over 1000cc that wasn't an old man bike, and anything unusual that they didn't specifically know about. Three different companies wouldn't insure my CL350, even for liability, because it was "too old." As if a 40 year old standard that can barely keep up on the highway is on the same risk level as a Hayabusa.

All you can do is shop around. One of the other companies will hopefully be less stupid.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Aug 9, 2018

alr
May 14, 2009
It'll be a common issue because the R3 is (stupidly, imo) marketed by Yamaha as part of the YZF family of sportbikes and listed as a supersport on their product page so that's probably what's going on. It'd be like calling a Ninja 300 a Ninja ZX-3R.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

Try Progressive insurance if you are in USia.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Progressive is where I get my insurance, after someone (irl) told me it was good for bikes. It was noticeably cheaper than geico, my previous.

Quite A Tool
Jul 4, 2004

The answer is... 42
Alternatively find a good agent. I’ve been going through this one girl for a few years now and it makes my life a lot easier. I loving hate insurance shopping.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

You can find a broker who can shop insurance for you. It's kinda of an old school thing in the day of the internet but there are still plenty of them around. I was a life and health insurance broker as a younger man.

Or just be lazy like me and ask can a local motorcycle shop who they send everyone who buys new bikes to.

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

I’ve had excellent luck with Dairyland Insurance, if you are in a state they operate in. Extremely reasonable pricing, and apparently they aren’t bad to work with if you actually need to use them.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

IuniusBrutus posted:

I’ve had excellent luck with Dairyland Insurance, if you are in a state they operate in. Extremely reasonable pricing, and apparently they aren’t bad to work with if you actually need to use them.

I just spent 20 minutes figuring out that their policy is 60% more expensive than Progressive for me. Just FYI.

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

Got a new bike:

Went for my first ride today and it is awesome. It had 0 miles on the odo and I put the first 20 on. I am sad that it will be raining the next 2 days.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Minnesota Mixup posted:

Got a new bike:

Went for my first ride today and it is awesome. It had 0 miles on the odo and I put the first 20 on. I am sad that it will be raining the next 2 days.

Nice bike!

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

Minnesota Mixup posted:

Got a new bike:

Pretty sweet. I would love to get a Ninja 400 and make it into a track bike but poo poo nowadays I can't even be bothered to replace my turn signals. Also I would have to pay for things.

It will be raining for the rest of the week in Chicago too and I am tempted to ride anyway just so I don't have to pay the meter for the whole work day.

Keegers
Aug 11, 2014

Minnesota Mixup posted:

Got a new bike:

Love my n400, check out https://www.ninja400riders.com

Pretty good forum community

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

Minnesota Mixup posted:

Got a new bike:

NNnnnnnnggg

E: VVV That just means you need a full set of goretex gear :v:

pokie fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Aug 15, 2018

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

Thanks guys, yeah it seems really nice. Need to break in the engine and tires. I am also in the Chicago area so yay lots of rain the next few days. Looks like the weekend is supposed to be nice at least.

Butt Reactor
Oct 6, 2005

Even in zero gravity, you're an asshole.

Minnesota Mixup posted:

Thanks guys, yeah it seems really nice. Need to break in the engine and tires. I am also in the Chicago area so yay lots of rain the next few days. Looks like the weekend is supposed to be nice at least.

Oh hey me too, I just bought a kawasaki KZ200 yesterday :) unfortunately I don't think I'm going to ride it for a couple weeks between weather and work :cry: Where in Chicago you at?

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
Tomorrow I am taking my daughter to Great America for her birthday, then Friday seeing Sleigh Bells at the Metro then Saturday seeing Pearl Jam at Wrigley so no riding for me. Sunday will be all sleeping. But I think I will take my oldest son to a Harley demo the next weekend. See how he likes armrests and a loud stereo.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

captainOrbital posted:

Tomorrow I am taking my daughter to Great America for her birthday, then Friday seeing Sleigh Bells at the Metro then Saturday seeing Pearl Jam at Wrigley so no riding for me. Sunday will be all sleeping. But I think I will take my oldest son to a Harley demo the next weekend. See how he likes armrests and a loud stereo.

Got a playlist yet?

I think Girls Just Wanna Have Fun is sometimes mentioned when bikes with stereos comes up.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
I've been really into Chvrches lately.

But Kero Kero Bonito is a good standby, or Anita Ward. Who doesn't love Ring my Bell?

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

captainOrbital posted:

I've been really into Chvrches lately.

But Kero Kero Bonito is a good standby, or Anita Ward. Who doesn't love Ring my Bell?

I would also suggest Angie.

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

Butt Reactor posted:

Oh hey me too, I just bought a kawasaki KZ200 yesterday :) unfortunately I don't think I'm going to ride it for a couple weeks between weather and work :cry: Where in Chicago you at?

I'm about 45 min north of Chicago. Hopefully it stays nice this weekend so I can go on a ride.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.

Minnesota Mixup posted:

I'm about 45 min north of Chicago. Hopefully it stays nice this weekend so I can go on a ride.

If you can get west and find some roads out in the hinterlands of Wisconsin. The 400 might not be a mile muncher but if you can get used to staying in the saddle for as long as you can, the closer to the Mississippi river you get, the better roads you'll find. If you can get used to doing day rides get out towards Governor Dodge State Park and the House on the Rock. There are some nice mild yet still curvy roads out there.

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

Skreemer posted:

If you can get west and find some roads out in the hinterlands of Wisconsin. The 400 might not be a mile muncher but if you can get used to staying in the saddle for as long as you can, the closer to the Mississippi river you get, the better roads you'll find. If you can get used to doing day rides get out towards Governor Dodge State Park and the House on the Rock. There are some nice mild yet still curvy roads out there.

Yeah I have a friend moving to Madison soon so it'll be a good excuse to go visit her then head further west.

Keegers
Aug 11, 2014

Anyone recommend some good hearing protection, I lost my current ones and am looking for a good pair.

Can be reusable or disposable mainly looking for something that'd you use if you have a straight pipe. So higher the DB rating the better.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Keegers posted:

Anyone recommend some good hearing protection, I lost my current ones and am looking for a good pair.

Can be reusable or disposable mainly looking for something that'd you use if you have a straight pipe. So higher the DB rating the better.

Try to find a stock exhaust.

3M disposable plugs are fine. They've got about a 33NRR.

But for real, consider getting rid of the loud exhaust. They're obnoxious, draw negative attention to riders, and are 100% to blame for things like motorcycles being restricted from nice places to ride like National Parks and Forests. They do more to piss everyone else off and draw attention of police and people who will make a hassle than keep you safe and make you look cool.

And depending on what you're riding, it's likely killing performance.

HenryJLittlefinger fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Aug 24, 2018

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Contrary to popular belief, loud pipes do not save lives. Really, the only people who will hear you better if you have straight pipes is the poor sod who's sitting right behind you, and any pedestrians you pass by who will consequently hate your guts and get a negative image of motorcycle riders in general.

gently caress straight pipes.

Keegers
Aug 11, 2014

Just to clarify I don't have straight pipes, but I want hearing protection like if I did. I just meant I want stuff that can really drown out the noise.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

Keegers posted:

If you want to go overboard look into custom ear plugs. Westone has a version for motorcyclists. They are slightly quieter and much easier to use. But really, just buy cheap earplugs like everyone else. Just check what noise reduction rating they brag about.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

You should always be wearing earplugs regardless, the wind noise alone at highway speeds is enough to cause hearing damage even with a good helmet.

Personally I just use whatever foam disposables I can buy in bulk at the hardware store. The no-brand ones I have now have a 32dB attenuation rating according to the box which might be a lie, but they're quiet enough and they cost me about $9 for a box of 100.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

The current highest NRR I've seen is 33, and that's for foam disposables.

I talked to a guy at Decibullz last week, and their DIY custom fit plugs are rated to 31. Even $200 audiologist-fitted plugs aren't going to get you any better than 32-33. You're paying for comfort and quality control if you go that route, but disposable expandable foamies from the hardware store just plain work.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Keegers posted:

https://www.amazon.com/Worlds-Finest-Plug-2-Pair-Travel/dp/B003FZ8CVG

This is the ear plug solution you are looking for. Just give em a try before writing them off. They block far more noise than foamies. So much that I can't wear them to concerts because it's eiry how far away the music sounds.

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

Coydog posted:

https://www.amazon.com/Worlds-Finest-Plug-2-Pair-Travel/dp/B003FZ8CVG

This is the ear plug solution you are looking for. Just give em a try before writing them off. They block far more noise than foamies. So much that I can't wear them to concerts because it's eiry how far away the music sounds.

Are these those malleable wax plugs you can get?

If so, I’ve always found (other brands) these fall out when things get sweaty or vibratey. Do you find the same with these?

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
They are a beeswax mixture, but they do not fall out at all. Only when you push the back of your ear to pop them out. Very comfortable for all day use, too.

I need to get another set. I'm fed up with foam plugs being hard to get in seated properly, being destroyed when sweat or rain hits them, and uneven protection after a couple days of use.

But foam is cheap and fine so whatever. For your needs of serious noise blockage, go for the ones I linked.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Horse Clocks posted:

Are these those malleable wax plugs you can get?

If so, I’ve always found (other brands) these fall out when things get sweaty or vibratey. Do you find the same with these?

They're the most effective way I've found to get all the crap out of your ears that a Q-tip misses.

Coydog posted:

They are a beeswax mixture, but they do not fall out at all. Only when you push the back of your ear to pop them out. Very comfortable for all day use, too.

I need to get another set. I'm fed up with foam plugs being hard to get in seated properly, being destroyed when sweat or rain hits them, and uneven protection after a couple days of use.

But foam is cheap and fine so whatever. For your needs of serious noise blockage, go for the ones I linked.

Did you get my gift?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quite A Tool
Jul 4, 2004

The answer is... 42
Y’all being party poopers about exhausts. Straight pipes are indeed dumb but I think it’s safe to assume we’re all enthusiasts and aftermarket pipes are fun and sound cool (for the most part).

I’ll be putting a pipe on my VFR next week and hopefully you won’t clutch your pearls so hard you rip off the necklace if I ride by.