Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Witcher 3 for the first one? AC origins is also a genuinely fantastic open world RPG but it might be worth holding out and seeing how the next one is in a couple of months, it sounds like it's going even harder in on the depth and breadth of the world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I wouldn't recommend waiting. AC Origins got better and better after a year+ of patches. They added in new content, new difficulty levels, all kinds of poo poo. I don't think it's worth it to play these games at launch. You can wait a year, get a 75% discount and a shitload more content thats polished up. Shadow of War was the same way.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

TorakFade posted:

1) a free roaming open-world, RPG-ish (either heavy or light, doesn't matter as long as it's not just pure action) game where I can roam around, do whatever, grow my character and curbstomp the world when I'm buff enough. Story isn't super important but if there is some decent writing, all the better. The more you can interact with stuff, the better - one flaw those games tend to always have is that the huge open world is basically a painted backdrop that you can't interact in any way and that becomes boring - even though the more recent ones have kind of fixed it (being able to enter buildings, minigames like poker or whatever, hunting...). I'd like something still kind of grounded in reality, not too over-the-top so not like Saints Row and so on.

Examples I already played: Fallout New Vegas, 3 and 4, Oblivion and Skyrim, Assassins' Creed from 1 to 3, GTA 4 and 5, Red Dead Redemption - basically all the big ones, wondering if there's some hidden gem similar to those. I tried Kingdom Come: Deliverance but it was far too clunky for my taste.

Did you leave Middle-Earth: Shadow of Mordor off the list by accident or have you genuinely not played it? Because if not you should add that to the recommendations pile.

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008
Shadows of Mordor and its sequel, Shadows of War, aren't much of an RPG-lite; they're much more action-oriented. That being said, I agree that they are fantastic games. Shadows of War is flat-out better, though, simply because it had the benefit of them learning a few things and perfecting the formula.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

TorakFade posted:

I'm looking for recommendations on two kinds of game (PC platform):

1) a free roaming open-world, RPG-ish (either heavy or light, doesn't matter as long as it's not just pure action) game where I can roam around, do whatever, grow my character and curbstomp the world when I'm buff enough. Story isn't super important but if there is some decent writing, all the better. The more you can interact with stuff, the better - one flaw those games tend to always have is that the huge open world is basically a painted backdrop that you can't interact in any way and that becomes boring - even though the more recent ones have kind of fixed it (being able to enter buildings, minigames like poker or whatever, hunting...). I'd like something still kind of grounded in reality, not too over-the-top so not like Saints Row and so on.

Examples I already played: Fallout New Vegas, 3 and 4, Oblivion and Skyrim, Assassins' Creed from 1 to 3, GTA 4 and 5, Red Dead Redemption - basically all the big ones, wondering if there's some hidden gem similar to those. I tried Kingdom Come: Deliverance but it was far too clunky for my taste.

2) a management/simulation game where you build and run a business/city/company/country/whatever. Also including 4X games even though I'm quite sick of them so unless there's something just totally amazing in that genre, better stay on the "management/building up something" side

Examples I already played include Cities: Skylines, The Guild, Theme Hospital, Rimworld, Europa Universalis 4, Crusader Kings 2, Stellaris, Civilization 5 and 6, Galactic Civilizations 1 and 2.

I'm not much into the Japanese aesthetic, I much prefer western-style graphics and gameplay tropes generally.

Thanks for your suggestions :)

I consider the Witcher 3 to be the greatest open world RPG of all time (tied with Morrowind in my heart but that's half nostalgia). If you haven't played it, drop everything and play it right now. I'm dead serious.

AC: Origins was Ubisoft's response to Witcher 3 and it is excellent as well, though the story isn't anywhere as good. I can recommend it, too, but play the Witcher first.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Deformed Church posted:

Witcher 3 for the first one? AC origins is also a genuinely fantastic open world RPG but it might be worth holding out and seeing how the next one is in a couple of months, it sounds like it's going even harder in on the depth and breadth of the world.

ToxicFrog posted:

Did you leave Middle-Earth: Shadow of Mordor off the list by accident or have you genuinely not played it? Because if not you should add that to the recommendations pile.

Cantorsdust posted:

I consider the Witcher 3 to be the greatest open world RPG of all time (tied with Morrowind in my heart but that's half nostalgia). If you haven't played it, drop everything and play it right now. I'm dead serious.

AC: Origins was Ubisoft's response to Witcher 3 and it is excellent as well, though the story isn't anywhere as good. I can recommend it, too, but play the Witcher first.

Oh dear I knew I was forgetting something. Yeah, played Witcher 3 a LOT. AC : Origins I tried but had to refund since it is one of the very few games I can't play on my computer, even with all details at low and everything turned off, it just can't go above 20FPS for some reason (yeah I know the reason. I have a lovely AMD FX 6300 CPU and old HD7870XT GPU :v: )

Will add Middle Earth Shadow of Mordor to the pile. Thanks!

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

TorakFade posted:

1) a free roaming open-world, RPG-ish game. I'd like something still kind of grounded in reality,

Examples I already played: Fallout New Vegas, 3 and 4, Oblivion and Skyrim, Assassins' Creed from 1 to 3, GTA 4 and 5, Red Dead Redemption

im sorry i can't not quote this

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Lutha Mahtin posted:

im sorry i can't not quote this

I don't get what you mean? I mean, even Skyrim, AC or Fallout that are clearly fantasy games are definitely a hundred times more "realistic" than Saint's Row (at least in the last iterations), not to mention GTA or Red Dead Redemption? :confused: maybe substitute realistic with "not over the top" or "doesn't need a huge, gigantic, titanic amount of suspension of disbelief but only a normal amount"? I thought it was pretty clear anyways :v:

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

TorakFade posted:

I don't get what you mean? I mean, even Skyrim, AC or Fallout that are clearly fantasy games are definitely a hundred times more "realistic" than Saint's Row (at least in the last iterations), not to mention GTA or Red Dead Redemption? :confused: maybe substitute realistic with "not over the top" or "doesn't need a huge, gigantic, titanic amount of suspension of disbelief but only a normal amount"? I thought it was pretty clear anyways :v:

Nah, most of us got what you meant, don't worry about that guy.

MrXmas
Apr 10, 2006

Let's Get Sweaty

TorakFade posted:

Yakuza 0

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Rise of Industry (currently in Alpha) might work for you.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

TorakFade posted:

i meant it more a joke about video games in general, sorry. open world games are rarely "realistic" and would probably be boring as hell if they were

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

TorakFade posted:

AC : Origins I tried but had to refund since it is one of the very few games I can't play on my computer, even with all details at low and everything turned off, it just can't go above 20FPS for some reason (yeah I know the reason. I have a lovely AMD FX 6300 CPU and old HD7870XT GPU :v: )

If you ever feel like giving it another try, I had exactly the same problem but on a computer with much higher specs. It's apparently not uncommon, though I'm not sure the cause. I was able to solve it by running the game and then setting the process's CPU priority to "high" (not "realtime") in Task Manager (go to the Details tab, right click the process, set priority to high). It ran smooth as silk with no crashes when I did that, and when I didn't it was an ultra janky slideshow.

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

TorakFade posted:

2) a management/simulation game where you build and run a business/city/company/country/whatever. Also including 4X games even though I'm quite sick of them so unless there's something just totally amazing in that genre, better stay on the "management/building up something" side

Examples I already played include Cities: Skylines, The Guild, Theme Hospital, Rimworld, Europa Universalis 4, Crusader Kings 2, Stellaris, Civilization 5 and 6, Galactic Civilizations 1 and 2.

I do not see Dawn of Discovery/Anno1404 or Patrician on this list, which must be a mistake.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
Hey, what are some good real time strategy games that have a strong single player campaign? I feel like the last good one I played was Warcraft 3, Age of Mythology and that steampunk one... poo poo, what was that called... actually, it was really awesome. Empires or something. Hell. Anyway, it seems like I haven't played a good single-player story-driven RTS in a decade. Help me out! (generally, I'm looking for traditional PC mouse-based kind of stuff, but I've got other systems and am open to experimentation!)

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

credburn posted:

Hey, what are some good real time strategy games that have a strong single player campaign? I feel like the last good one I played was Warcraft 3, Age of Mythology and that steampunk one... poo poo, what was that called... actually, it was really awesome. Empires or something. Hell. Anyway, it seems like I haven't played a good single-player story-driven RTS in a decade. Help me out! (generally, I'm looking for traditional PC mouse-based kind of stuff, but I've got other systems and am open to experimentation!)

Empire Earth is pretty old but has 4 single player campaigns. I especially like the Germans and Russians. Rise of Nations doesn't have a campaign per se, but it does feature a strategic map with provinces where conquering a province involves playing an RTS map, which feels pretty nice as well. If you haven't played the Dawn of War II series, those are excellent as well.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost
Was the steampunk one Rise of legends?

Anyway for a STR with nice storytelling I recommend Deserts of Kharak, the Homeworld prequel, or even the Homeworld remasters.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

credburn posted:

Starcraft 2 Wings of Liberty is my all-time favorite single-player RTS. It's just great. Varied missions with very few "build up a huge base/army, drag-select the whole shebang and attackmove the enemy base, repeat until win" missions, missions are more usually "hunt down and blow up trains", "outrun a supernova", "use a giant fuckoff laser to cut a hole into an ancient temple and/or the protoss"

Blizzard took everything they learned about making cool RTS single-player and threw it out for the next two expacks though :( HotS is "dragselect/attackmove" basically every mission, but with a Hero unit (usually spawning things to drag-select around them).

Evilreaver fucked around with this message at 08:58 on Aug 12, 2018

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The mission design in all the Starcraft 2 expacs continue to improve and they're all a lot of fun. The story though, yeesh... be ready to mash the skip cutscene button.

Afriscipio
Jun 3, 2013

credburn posted:

Grey Goo had a fun single player campaign.

Homeworld: deserts of kharak had a short, but memorable campaign as well.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Does Shadow Tactics: Blades of the Shogun count as an RTS?

The Dawn of War 2 games have good campaigns, too.

Evilreaver posted:

Starcraft 2 Wings of Liberty is my all-time favorite single-player RTS. It's just great. Varied missions with very few "build up a huge base/army, drag-select the whole shebang and attackmove the enemy base, repeat until win" missions, missions are more usually "hunt down and blow up trains", "outrun a supernova", "use a giant fuckoff laser to cut a hole into an ancient temple and/or the protoss"

Blizzard took everything they learned about making cool RTS single-player and threw it out for the next two expacks though :( HotS is "dragselect/attackmove" basically every mission, but with a Hero unit (usually spawning things to drag-select around them).

I thought Nova Covert Ops was a decent improvement there.

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Aug 12, 2018

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

Company of Heroes has a collection of single player campaigns that varies from solid to outstanding, and is arguably the best RTS ever made, depending on how much you enjoy the emphasis on small scale tactics and the cover system. It is a bit of a departure from traditional Starcraft-style RTS.

Playing Carentan Counterattack (the... 4th? mission) for the first time was the most stressful and exciting RTS experience I've ever had by a wide margin. Highly recommended.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

Riatsala posted:

Company of Heroes has a collection of single player campaigns that varies from solid to outstanding, and is arguably the best RTS ever made, depending on how much you enjoy the emphasis on small scale tactics and the cover system. It is a bit of a departure from traditional Starcraft-style RTS.

Playing Carentan Counterattack (the... 4th? mission) for the first time was the most stressful and exciting RTS experience I've ever had by a wide margin. Highly recommended.

Alternatevly, if you don't enjoy WW2 games, you can get Warhammer 40k Dawn of War, the original, it has a solid old-school campaign.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
I expect I'm going to get a lot of flack for this, but I enjoyed the Supreme Commander II campaign. It's a sequel to Supreme Commander in name only but take away that baggage and it's a solid game in its own right.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Angry Lobster posted:

Alternatevly, if you don't enjoy WW2 games, you can get Warhammer 40k Dawn of War, the original, it has a solid old-school campaign.

Came here to recommend this, probably the best single player campaign I've played in a real time strategy. It even has light RPG mechanics and gear drops and equipment for your different characters.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Came here to recommend this, probably the best single player campaign I've played in a real time strategy. It even has light RPG mechanics and gear drops and equipment for your different characters.

Isn't that Dawn of War 2? The first Dawn of War played pretty similarly to Company of Heroes.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

Keeshhound posted:

Isn't that Dawn of War 2? The first Dawn of War played pretty similarly to Company of Heroes.

Exactly, get DoW 1 if you want an old school campaign similar to CoH. Pick Dow2+rxpansions if you want more of a mix of strategy and rpg with very light base building.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Yeah, DoW 2 is what I meant, sorry.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

is there a picross (or even some puzzle game kind of like picross) that's more like Pokemon Picross in that it adds a bunch of stuff like abilities and challenges to the formula instead of just a list of puzzles

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

credburn posted:

World in Conflict is the game you want. With Alec Baldwin narrating!

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Danger - Octopus! posted:

World in Conflict is the game you want. With Alec Baldwin narrating!

And if you like World in Conflict, check out its sci-fi predecessor Ground Control (and expansion pack Dark Conspiracy); they're pretty old but have aged well. (Skip Ground Control 2, though.)

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

TorakFade posted:

I'm looking for recommendations on two kinds of game (PC platform):

I would try monster Hunter world. The open world is 4 smaller maps, but each one has unique interactions and cool poo poo too find. It's like Kojima made a hunting game.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
For example, on an expedition I was looking for a wild breed of cat so that I could feed them a meat I'm exchange for a blade that makes my pet cat steal bits of monsters when I fight them. A huge rolly boi shows up, so I've got to smash, I fight him until he runs away, and because I'm right on his heels he is frightened and barreling through walls. He leads me into a den of a much bigger monster who chases me off. I end up having to run, and end up finding the rolly boi in his den. I bomb the poo poo out of his head and leave. through out all of these fights I'm picking up flash bombs from the environment or picking up trash or worrying about the local ecosystem getting involved.

I go back to fishing and looking for outcroppings where I can get rare ore. Eventually later I'm killed by a dog.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Whats the best train strategy game where I can build and manage an awesome railroad empire with the caveat that it has to run on my pretty low end computer?

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Kvlt! posted:

Whats the best train strategy game where I can build and manage an awesome railroad empire with the caveat that it has to run on my pretty low end computer?
OpenTTD? :v:

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Kvlt! posted:

Railroad Tycoon 3 probably

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus
I got a ps4 recently and haven't really looked into what exclusives I might have missed.

I like platformers, roguelikes, metroidvanias and to my surprise I loved horizon and god of war 2018. Anything released pre-2018 I should check out based on this?

MrXmas
Apr 10, 2006

Let's Get Sweaty

Klaus Kinski posted:

I got a ps4 recently and haven't really looked into what exclusives I might have missed.

I like platformers, roguelikes, metroidvanias and to my surprise I loved horizon and god of war 2018. Anything released pre-2018 I should check out based on this?

Yakuza 0/Kiwami/6/Kiwami 2. With 0 being the first recommendation.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
I could use a game recommendation! For the past few months about once a week, three friends and I have been playing co-op Ghost Recon Wildlands. PC, with discord voice, with two of our people on mouse+keyboard and the other two (a couple gaming in the same room on separate computers) on xbox 360 gamepads. It's been an absolute riot as we're all at least reasonably competent at gaming so as a 4-person squad we easy slice through the game and have hilarious misadventures due either to our own hubris, random chance, or absurd bugs and network desyncs.

We've now finished the game, and after a few ideas that didn't quite work out (the couple tried PAYDAY 2 out and really didn't enjoy it, just not as much of a gently caress-about game, and for Stonehearth it's really a mouse driven game and not really the best for gaming on a tv from the couch, No Man's Sky NEXT is nice but has some game-breaking multiplayer bugs and... just isn't compelling multiplayer?) we've landed on Overcooked 2. This is quite fun and I think will hold us for a few weeks at least, but once we're done with that... we're kinda lost for ideas.

So, looking for suggestions for 4-player cooperative online game that isn't "unforgiving" (so, no permadeath roguelikes even if they are co-op) and won't require huge amounts of time investment (MMOs) so that we can have shenanigans online for a few hours once a week? Casual games are fine, adventure, action, third person shooters even. We've all already played things like Borderlands 1 and 2, and the couple have already played Destiny.

Our ideal game would be Just Cause 4 with 4-player online co-op. But it won't have co-op. Soooo...

Kenshin fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Aug 16, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
Earth Defense Force, but wait for a sale unless you've got money to burn.