Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DISCO KING
Oct 30, 2012

STILL
TRYING
TOO
HARD
The Chinese princesses, if anything, are just less average. More likely to have interesting traits, good or bad. Less likely to be "normal," but it happens sometimes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/armenia/status/1029296342500298754

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Just wait until Imperator comes out and they'll be able to play as historical Armenia as Rome and Persia fight wars over who gets to choose the kings of Armenia.

Spoiler: Not the Armenians.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Or Victoria 3 and uhm, er, nevermind...

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

I genuinely hope someone uses this game to cause a diplomatic crisis

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

MizPiz posted:

Let's just hope the Armenian social media account don't follow this up with an LP where they expand east and subtweet Azerbaijan.

Linear Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Aug 15, 2018

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

MizPiz posted:

Alternatively, through a series of comic accidents it turns out that the President of Armenia has been playing multiplayer with the President of Azerbaijan, and the bond they forged playing Crusader Kings allows for them to finally work towards a better future for both countries.

Well, until one of them goes insane and marries a horse, while it turns out the other's kid is literally the Anti-Christ, I suppose.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

Having an issue where the game won't start. It'll get to "Loading flags" and the crash. I've completely uninstalled and reinstalled the game and deleted the CK2 folder from My Documents>Paradox Interactive. Any clues?

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

MizPiz posted:

Didn't ISIS at one point use an edited Victoria 2 map for some reason to display what they claimed as "their" territory?

ajkalan
Aug 17, 2011

TTBF posted:

Having an issue where the game won't start. It'll get to "Loading flags" and the crash. I've completely uninstalled and reinstalled the game and deleted the CK2 folder from My Documents>Paradox Interactive. Any clues?

Is it a full crash to desktop or unending loading? If it's the latter, that's happened a few times to me for no apparent reason, and letting it sit there loading for 10 minutes or so usually gets the game running again. If it's an actual crash then I don't know.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

ajkalan posted:

Is it a full crash to desktop or unending loading? If it's the latter, that's happened a few times to me for no apparent reason, and letting it sit there loading for 10 minutes or so usually gets the game running again. If it's an actual crash then I don't know.
Full crash. It hits "Loading flags" and then within a second or two the window disappears and that's it. No warning, no "not responding", and no "hey we noticed a crash last time" screen.

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Didn't ISIS at one point use an edited Victoria 2 map for some reason to display what they claimed as "their" territory?
Yep

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

drat, that ISIS thing is bananas.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

TTBF posted:

Full crash. It hits "Loading flags" and then within a second or two the window disappears and that's it. No warning, no "not responding", and no "hey we noticed a crash last time" screen.

What does the error.log say?

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Realtalk: Armenia in 867 is hard as poo poo but once you get rolling it's one of my favorite areas of the world. Head west and take Byzantium, south for the Holy Land and Egypt, or east into Persia and make absurdly huge stacks of gold via the Silk Road.

My Paulician game a few patches ago went pretty well once I declared myself the Paulician Patriarch and started calling crusades on anyone who looked at me funny:

Nightgull
Jan 22, 2018

TOTALLY NOT A CONSERVATIVE
or a fucking nazi

ninjahedgehog posted:

Realtalk: Armenia in 867 is hard as poo poo but once you get rolling it's one of my favorite areas of the world. Head west and take Byzantium, south for the Holy Land and Egypt, or east into Persia and make absurdly huge stacks of gold via the Silk Road.

My Paulician game a few patches ago went pretty well once I declared myself the Paulician Patriarch and started calling crusades on anyone who looked at me funny:

The Kamsarakan and Pahlavuni dynasties - rulers of Taron, in Armenia - are also the oldest in the game afaik. Their earliest member was born in the single digits, AD. You can also inherit Karen lands in Persia as these guys, Dihistan and one other, so that can lead to a cool near east / Persia game.

Party In My Diapee
Jan 24, 2014
The Mihranians in Derbent 769 are descended from the Sassanids paternaly and the Arsacids maternaly so they get ultimate cool points. Bonus if you become the zoroastrian emperor of Rome-Persia from your base in the Transcaucasus.

They also historically did a red wedding type slaughter to the previous dynasty in charge

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Four holy sites for the renamed African paganism are in sub-Saharan Africa. So if you can get to 50% MA, then you don't need to tangle with the Umayyads etc. in the north. Claim those holy sites, burn down churches in the east... (relatively) easy reformation?

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Torrannor posted:

Four holy sites for the renamed African paganism are in sub-Saharan Africa. So if you can get to 50% MA, then you don't need to tangle with the Umayyads etc. in the north. Claim those holy sites, burn down churches in the east... (relatively) easy reformation?

Looks like the way to go would be to pillage everything in East Africa as you said. Not much money to be made, but small countries without many levies to fight back. Best to do the burn and then conquer for the 2% MA per county.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
I'm seriously considering starting as Mali in Holy Fury. I knew I wanted to try out the new reformation mechanics, but reforming West African was too hard, and I wanted to try out the new features quickly. But new special trade routes, a map expansion and a less challenging distribution of holy sites, this might make this a genuinely fun place to start in.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yeah, while a new Zoroastrian game is my go-to upon picking this back up, maybe after a brief attempt at relearning some things in Ireland or some other part of Europe, Africa and Mali in particular are looking really good in Holy Fury and might be where I start this time. I wonder how absurdly rich Mali can become, given that there are Mansa Musa-inspired events apparently and he was the richest person... Ever, basically? Up there, at least.

Though speaking of, reiterating an earlier question, do we know if Zoroastrians are getting anything special in Holy Fury, or is it mostly pagans?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Good question! Since you can't currently reform Zoroastrianism, and the religion has special mechanics already, it's possible that they won't be updated further in Holy Fury. But we still have some dev diaries ahead of us.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yeah, I was taking a peek at the dev diaries after asking that. Thus far, I saw a bloodline for Sasan, founder of the Sassanid dynasty, which is kind of neat even if I like the Achaemenids and Cyrus a lot more, (they're admittedly ancient history even by the earliest parts of this game) and that's it apart benefiting from the general changes like the Holy Orders one (which needs you to get far enough to get the Immortals), and a lot of those don't affect them much or at all either. It'd be neat if they got a little direct attention as well, even if they obviously aren't the focus.

On a tangent, I think they're now the only religion that can only be unlocked via The Old Gods, since Holy Fury can make pagans playable too. Which, well, the old start dates are the only ones with Zoroastrian rulers, but Manichean rulers are in the steppes even in the 1066+ start dates. Though Manichaeism should be its own thing, really. Maybe that'll be a Holy Fury change, unlikely as it seems to me. They could get a bit more stuff and still be able to intermarry with Mazdans and whatnot, and Zurvanism or something could be a new Mazdan heresy, though I guess that's sort of shoved into Khurmazta since Zurvan is a patron deity there.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Aug 15, 2018

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Playable Hellenic pagans or I'm kicking Swedish arse. Yes, I have a loving Casus Belli.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

Doesn't ck2+ let you revive Hellenic paganism and druidism and stuff? That would be a fun thing, if Aztecs can invade Europe then the druids should be able to come back.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Just make a Hellenic dude in the rule designer and blob forth.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Sydin posted:

Just make a Hellenic dude in the rule designer and blob forth.

They took it out of the ruler designer, if I remember right.

Goon Danton posted:

Doesn't ck2+ let you revive Hellenic paganism and druidism and stuff? That would be a fun thing, if Aztecs can invade Europe then the druids should be able to come back.

Yeah, CK2+ has the Ancient Religions Reborn mod, but they also added a bunch of extra stuff to it that's not in the original. I wish there was a version of ARR that had those extra religions without the rest of CK2+, they sound neat but I'm not really sold on all of CK2+'s changes.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

catlord posted:

They took it out of the ruler designer, if I remember right.

They did, but it takes all of a few seconds to just console change your religion. Or edit the Mongols to spawn as Hellenic instead of Tengri...

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

binge crotching posted:

They did, but it takes all of a few seconds to just console change your religion. Or edit the Mongols to spawn as Hellenic instead of Tengri...
By itself, that won't accomplish much. For one thing, in an unmodded game, hellenic pagan rulers won't ever try to convert their provinces.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

binge crotching posted:

What does the error.log say?

code:
[virtualfilesystem.cpp:711]: Could not open file: gfx/flags/flagfiles_0.tga, error: The system cannot find the file specified.
Weird that this continued after the uninstall/reinstall though. I've verified the game files and everything looks right to Steam.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Man, who still uses TARGA

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
Weak people spend 10 dollars to gift titles about world leaders they dislike. The strong spend 10 dollars to gift titles telling everyone to play Deus Ex again

ninjahedgehog posted:

How do you declare yourself the patriarch? Is it a Paulician thing only?

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

TTBF posted:

code:
[virtualfilesystem.cpp:711]: Could not open file: gfx/flags/flagfiles_0.tga, error: The system cannot find the file specified.
Weird that this continued after the uninstall/reinstall though. I've verified the game files and everything looks right to Steam.

Try deleting the ck2 folder under Documents/Paradox Interactive. It might be some error in the cached flags generated on game startup.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

GokuGoesSSJ3 posted:

I'm guessing mods are involved. Paulican is an Orthodox heresy and shouldn't have crusades.

E: to be fair I should say that in vanilla Orthodox and its heresies don't have crusades.

Honky Dong Country fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Aug 16, 2018

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

Cantorsdust posted:

Try deleting the ck2 folder under Documents/Paradox Interactive. It might be some error in the cached flags generated on game startup.

Tried that out just now, hit same problem at the same time. New error though.

code:
[texturehandler.cpp:197]: Couldn't find texture file: .
[id.cpp:83]: Failed to create id 0 67. Already exists in game.
[id.cpp:83]: Failed to create id 0 66. Already exists in game.
[virtualfilesystem.cpp:711]: Could not open file: gfx/flags/flagfiles_0.tga, error: Access is denied.
I guess I'll go to Paradox's official forums, because that's a weird one.

DISCO KING
Oct 30, 2012

STILL
TRYING
TOO
HARD
I may actually play a Catholic kingdom finally instead of loving around all over the map with the new crusade mechanics. A lot of what I liked about CK2+ is being implemented in the next patch. More trade routes would be cool, but adding some in Africa is a good start.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

GokuGoesSSJ3 posted:

Yeah this was CK2+, where the paulician patriarchate is a feudal title and can be passed on through normal succession. I think HIP has the same mechanics too.

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Yeah, I gets down with the homies

TTBF posted:

Tried that out just now, hit same problem at the same time. New error though.

code:
[texturehandler.cpp:197]: Couldn't find texture file: .
[id.cpp:83]: Failed to create id 0 67. Already exists in game.
[id.cpp:83]: Failed to create id 0 66. Already exists in game.
[virtualfilesystem.cpp:711]: Could not open file: gfx/flags/flagfiles_0.tga, error: Access is denied.
I guess I'll go to Paradox's official forums, because that's a weird one.

Try starting as admin.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

I did, but the reason access was denied was because the files weren't being created for whatever reason. What ended up doing the trick was getting a friend to send me a copy of their gfx/flags folder so i could just grab the files that weren't generating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
Weak people spend 10 dollars to gift titles about world leaders they dislike. The strong spend 10 dollars to gift titles telling everyone to play Deus Ex again

ninjahedgehog posted:

Yeah this was CK2+, where the paulician patriarchate is a feudal title and can be passed on through normal succession. I think HIP has the same mechanics too.

That's too bad I was thinking of taking amernia's suggestion and playing as armenia but miasphysite is so boring. I guess messalian is pretty much right there since a few nestorian counties border armenia.

• Locked thread