Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

TheKingofSprings posted:

Fetchless eternal sounds like a good idea.

What doesn’t sound like a good idea is midrange: the game: the format: the experience which is the inevitable end

make a wasteland/field of ruin that forces you to fetch a dual land and if you fail to find, you lose the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009

TheKingofSprings posted:

What doesn’t sound like a good idea is midrange: the game: the format: the experience which is the inevitable end

High tide’s time to shine!

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Jeoh posted:

Played my first Magic event today (sealed deck m19) and went 1-2, 0-2, 0-2, but at least I got a Bye and people weren't terrible :)

Yeah sounds great. Try to make friends who play magic you are 10x as likely to stick around if there's ppl to hang out with or test with or borrow cards from or w/e.

KenBearlLOLOL
Feb 1, 2006
ASK ME ABOUT MY BORDERLINE ALCOHOLISM
It wouldn't be a terrible idea to have a larger-than-Standard rotating format again. Even if they made it 7 years of cards, that covers less than half the cardpool of Modern, and formats that size have made for some great qualifier seasons and PTs in the past (2004-2006 era Extended was extremely my jam).

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
They aren’t going to restart modern lol.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Sickening posted:

They aren’t going to restart modern lol.

I dont think modern is ever going anywhere. A new eternal format would be something that coexists with modern.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Having yet another format that competes with the existing formats they're trying to promote and siphons players away from Standard seems like a bad idea that would be dumb of them to do, so we can't rule it out.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

KenBearlLOLOL posted:

(2004-2006 era Extended was extremely my jam).

Extremely :same:

moush
Aug 19, 2009

Rage Your Dream

TheKingofSprings posted:

Frontier was pretty combo and control heavy.

Buffis
Apr 29, 2006

I paid for this
Fallen Rib
Modern is amazing right now.
Went to the local modern event with RB Hollow One yesterday and went 3-1, winning against Amulet Titan, Bant Spirits, Jund and losing against Grixis Shadow.

45 players at the LGS for a pretty casual tournament, and an extremely diverse meta. Saw people playing Skred, Elves, Living End and of course all the more popular archetypes. So much fun :)

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Bringing back Extended as Origins/BFZ block+ would be a great idea, since Modern is pretty expensive and it wouldn't have KCI or Tron :v

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Penny Dreadful as an official sanctioned format please, with a weekly updated banlist.

I say this because I just made a Sanity Grinding deck and no one will randomly play with me in the freeform queue.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify
It’s p presumptuous to assume how a theoretical format consisting of thousands of cards would play out. Sure, recent design has tended towards midrange, but we’re in a standard dominated by aggro and control and who the gently caress knows what origins onward frontier or what have you would look like. Also seems pretty natural that modern would become similar to legacy and notfrontier would become modern, especially if they insist upon their blood pact with Legends collectors circa 1994. And wizards does have some incentive to maintain non-standard formats even if standard will always be the crown semi-precious jewel.

Pontius Pilate fucked around with this message at 09:41 on Aug 15, 2018

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
I was trying to remember why I have Cut//Ribbons in my mainboard, but then two opponents in a row played Nicol Bolas into it so whatever works I guess

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

mossyfisk posted:

I was trying to remember why I have Cut//Ribbons in my mainboard, but then two opponents in a row played Nicol Bolas into it so whatever works I guess

I think it's a very undervalued card in general.

KenBearlLOLOL
Feb 1, 2006

Pontius Pilate posted:

Also seems pretty natural that modern would become similar to legacy and notfrontier would become modern, especially if they insist upon their blood pact with Legends collectors circa 1994. And wizards does have some incentive to maintain non-standard formats even if standard will always be the crown semi-precious jewel.

This is kind of my thought. Legacy is never getting cheaper or easier to get into without blowing the reserve list to shreds, Modern has almost as many years of cards in it as Legacy did when Modern was introduced, Modern prices are spiraling upward because they can't keep up with demand for staple reprints over 15 years of sets, and it's only going to get harder to avoid unintended interactions with new printings entering the Modern pool. A rotating larger-than-Standard format has built-in cost controls, is easier to transition people from Standard to than Modern is at this point, but can still produce diverse and balanced metagames. Another potential benefit: with a new-Extended around, they can quit trying to force a format with 15 years of cards into being a turn-4 format and curate new-Extended to be the turn-4 format.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Something between Standard and Modern would be great but I just don't see WOTC caring enough to do it, and also to not screw it up somehow. Extended was an anomaly.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

KenBearlLOLOL posted:

Modern prices are spiraling upward because they can't keep up with demand for staple reprints over 15 years of sets

Won't, not can't. Let's not pretend it wouldn't trivially easy to do if providing people with the cards to play a game, rather than ~*~reprint equity~*~ or whatever, were actually their goal.

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive

JerryLee posted:

Won't, not can't. Let's not pretend it wouldn't trivially easy to do if providing people with the cards to play a game, rather than ~*~reprint equity~*~ or whatever, were actually their goal.

If Wizards wanted to they could make event / challenger decks for whatever the latest PT / GP was, pick select decks from the top 16, print the 75 and sell each of them for whatever price they want. They could even do another signature spell book type product - “Spell book - fetchlands” and just have one of each fetchland. They won’t because it isn’t in their business model to get people cracking packs / buying boxes.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
They should just allow proxies at sanctioned events. No I don't care about your card collection's value, nerd. Go get me a Slurpee.

KenBearlLOLOL
Feb 1, 2006
At this point there are two separate issues with reprints in modern: unwillingness to keep staples in regular circulation for fear of offending collectors/#mtgfinance (definitely a case of "won't keep up with demand", and yes, the biggest issue with affordability) and also the cases where something unexpected suddenly starts showing up as a 4-of like Mishra's Bauble or Goblin Lore and spikes to $40+ out of the bulk bins, or just the usual case with things like Vengevine spiking after a new card makes them viable again. The latter are definitely cases of "can't keep up" due to set lead time, and it's basically inevitable that that will continue to happen even if they learn the right lesson from the underwhelming response to the last two Masters sets and start juicing the packs with the cards people actually need to play a sanctioned PTQ/GP/PT format.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
It's convenient that the most popular #mtgfinance people are also huge pieces of poo poo

Makes it easier for me to hide them from my YouTube recs

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010
My stance on WotC’s reprint policy is why did you break Colossal Dreadmaw’s streak with Dominaria, you monsters.

He’s just a sweet boy who wants to top the curve of my green limited decks. You even brought him back for score M19 so it’s not like you were ready to say goodbye to him yet. What staff member has a grudge against my good friend CD so I can request their head on a pike?

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

you know how you say things like "a format between standard and modern is great because they can plan ahead for format health and the cards wont be super expensive and will be easy to keep the costs down with reprints?" well, let me tell you a little story about modern, and mtg. whenever people start to get serious rumors that this new format will exist, mtg finance is going to speculate on a poo poo ton of not in standard not good enough modern cards for absolutely no reason other than to "get in on the ground floor" and the new format will immediately not be meaningfully cheaper than modern, and people will start screaming about wotc not ruining their cardboard equity with reprints, and nothing will have changed at all.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
I'm onboard for the new format so long as Sorin, Grim Nemesis is in a tier 1 deck.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Mr. Locke posted:

My stance on WotC’s reprint policy is why did you break Colossal Dreadmaw’s streak with Dominaria, you monsters.

He’s just a sweet boy who wants to top the curve of my green limited decks. You even brought him back for score M19 so it’s not like you were ready to say goodbye to him yet. What staff member has a grudge against my good friend CD so I can request their head on a pike?

I'm still spiteful about Giant Spider.

moush
Aug 19, 2009

Rage Your Dream
What recourse would Wizards have if stores just started saying "gently caress it, all proxies allowed" besides revoking their WPN license?

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

moush posted:

What recourse would Wizards have if stores just started saying "gently caress it, all proxies allowed" besides revoking their WPN license?

i mean, thats the worst possible thing they can do to a store, yes. but not being able to get product as a vendor seems bad.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

moush posted:

They'll send a roving band of Yu-Gi-Oh players in to wreck up the place.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

rabidsquid posted:

i mean, thats the worst possible thing they can do to a store, yes. but not being able to get product as a vendor seems bad.

You don't need wpn to get product. Look at that stupid alphainvestments guy. No prereleases or promos or anything probably hurts a fair bit though.

There's also proxies i.e. sharpieing black lotus onto a basic or whatever, and 'proxies' that are counterfeits. They'd come down on you as hard as they could for abetting or reselling cards as genuine. Copyright, trademark, fraud, you name it. As a player if they're good enough you could probably plead ignorance but I doubt a store could be so casual about it.

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All
wotc doesn't even directly sell product anymore. unless they require their distributors to verify wpn status they can't stop sales to non wpn stores. you just couldn't run dci events which is sketch considering the dci is a "separate" entity

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
What's the process of verifying card legitimacy like, anyway? I mean, in general. Do you submit your deck to someone who then looks over it with a magnifying glass? If so, why do people keep "accidentally" putting the wrong cards in their deck - wouldn't that get caught by the same people checking for counterfeits? Or is it usually an "honor system" unless it's a major event?

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

precision posted:

What's the process of verifying card legitimacy like, anyway? I mean, in general. Do you submit your deck to someone who then looks over it with a magnifying glass? If so, why do people keep "accidentally" putting the wrong cards in their deck - wouldn't that get caught by the same people checking for counterfeits? Or is it usually an "honor system" unless it's a major event?

I was wondering this myself. Unless its super obvious are they even checking for counterfeits at events? If a counterfeit underground sea showed up at the protour would it even get a second look?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

precision posted:

It’s the honor system even at major events. I actually came across a judge trying to catch counterfeits at a local regionals event and laughed because he didn’t have a loving clue what he was doing and declared someone’s modern masters chalice fake despite being real.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

precision posted:

I taste test some of my opponents cards when they aren’t looking. Double sleeved are tricky but you can get there with practice

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

moush posted:

This kind of move would make sense if stores made their money by running tournaments, but they typically make more money selling cards and packs. Neither stores nor Wizards want to lose "buy cards so you can do good in tournaments" as a motivator for people to buy stuff. It isn't about what Wizards will do... I mean, limited proxying happens in lots of stores, but "all proxy" destroys the store's value proposition.

On the broader idea of "why doesn't Wizards just reprint all the cards people want?". Well, they could, and they'd see a nice spike in their sales numbers... followed by inexorable decline, as people lost faith in the "investment value" of buying new cards. They can still charge $5 for some cardboard only because they've committed to some level of product scarcity. Sure they don't make money off "singles sales" directly, but those high prices on old cards are a large part of what gives new cards their value.

So yeah, obviously they've made mistakes, but Wizards has showed a kind of restraint, foresight, and community respect in managing this brand that is very impressive - and I'm sure they constantly have to push back against corporate pressure to "just sell people the cards they want" (or let power creep up faster than they have).

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

jmzero posted:

Wizards has showed a kind of restraint, foresight, and community respect in managing this brand that is very impressive

Pull the other one, it's got bells on.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Personally I say we just guillotine the bourgeoisie and redistribute all the wealth and magic cards after the revolution

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

jmzero posted:

This kind of move would make sense if stores made their money by running tournaments, but they typically make more money selling cards and packs. Neither stores nor Wizards want to lose "buy cards so you can do good in tournaments" as a motivator for people to buy stuff. It isn't about what Wizards will do... I mean, limited proxying happens in lots of stores, but "all proxy" destroys the store's value proposition.

On the broader idea of "why doesn't Wizards just reprint all the cards people want?". Well, they could, and they'd see a nice spike in their sales numbers... followed by inexorable decline, as people lost faith in the "investment value" of buying new cards. They can still charge $5 for some cardboard only because they've committed to some level of product scarcity. Sure they don't make money off "singles sales" directly, but those high prices on old cards are a large part of what gives new cards their value.

So yeah, obviously they've made mistakes, but Wizards has showed a kind of restraint, foresight, and community respect in managing this brand that is very impressive - and I'm sure they constantly have to push back against corporate pressure to "just sell people the cards they want" (or let power creep up faster than they have).

Investment confidence is laughable and already does zero to sell packs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

AnEdgelord posted:

Personally I say we just guillotine the bourgeoisie and redistribute all the wealth and magic cards after the revolution

Why stop there?

At this point I’m grateful for climate change because it’ll hopefully wipe us right off the loving map