Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

Keto muffins are so bad that I want to binge on pizza

Make fathead pizza my dude

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tino
Jun 4, 2018

by Smythe

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

Just eat cheese cake, it's basically keto food.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Counting calories is great. I had nothing but Dr. Oetker pizzas, common sea buckthorn yoghurt, and Kismet chocolate bars last week-end and still managed to stay on the 1 kg per week course.

Felt like poo poo otherwise but at least now I don't have anything that unhealthy to eat left at home.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

kazr posted:

Looking for clinical studies that back any of these claims up, tia

I was referring more to the idea that the potato is almost a nutritionally complete food, and you can live on nothing else for about 6 months before you get into serious deficiencies. They contain roughly 74kcal per 100g, so almost anyone on any kind of calorie restriction can allow themselves to eat a couple of hundred grams of potatoes if they want.

Conversely, one large potato is around 350 calories, before butter, frying, cheese, sour cream or whatever, so eating lots of them, or eating them loaded with other poo poo is a terrible idea that will make you fat as hell.

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

BOY DO I SURE ENJOY TRASH. THERE'S NOTHING MORE I LOVE THAN TO SIT DOWN IN FRONT OF THE BIG SCREEN AND EAT A BIIIIG STEAMY BOWL OF SHIT. WARNER BROS CAN COME OVER TO MY HOUSE AND ASSFUCK MY MOM WHILE I WATCH AND I WOULD CERTIFY IT FRESH, NO QUESTION
I was doing really well after a month of no drinking, and eating well, now I'm slipping backward ugh.

Kullik
Jan 5, 2017

down to 22 stone exactly today.

Current thoughts are that switching my breakfast/lunch to Huel has been a fantastic idea thats let me stop snacking during work 100% and letting me have close to whatever i want for dinner since i have like 1k cals left after work.
I should have done this years ago, this is pretty easy so far.

The Hambulance
Apr 19, 2011

:20bux:

ASK ME ABOUT MY AWESOME STARTUP IDEA

Pillbug
I'm down 21 pounds in a little over a month just from using a calorie counting app.

The surprising thing is how many people get agitated that I'm not using their fad diet or losing weight their way. Way to make it about you, I guess?

Spermanent Record
Mar 28, 2007
I interviewed a NK escapee who came to my school and made a thread. Then life got in the way and the translation had to be postponed. I did finish it in the end, but nobody is going to pay 10 bux to update my.avatar

Kullik posted:

Current thoughts are that switching my breakfast/lunch to Huel has been a fantastic idea thats let me stop snacking during work 100% and letting me have close to whatever i want for dinner since i have like 1k cals left after work.

What does huel taste like?

Kullik
Jan 5, 2017

Spermanent Record posted:

What does huel taste like?

i got the berry one and its like a mildly flavored thin oatmeal sort of thing with a bit of fruit flavor, extremely bland but not unpleasant

I mix it with a bit of sugar free fruit squash to give it a bit more flavor, also put in the fridge a bit and its sort of like a weird milkshake.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Kullik posted:

What I tell everyone is to find something that works for them and they can stick to it. Consistency is the hardest part.

I know too many fencers who ask "why don't you life more weights?" when I tell them I've been doing calisthenics, even though I'm seeing tremendous results and even though certain weight lifting movements hinders certain motions.

Tinestram
Jan 13, 2006

Excalibur? More like "Needle"

Grimey Drawer

The Hambulance posted:

I'm down 21 pounds in a little over a month just from using a calorie counting app.

The surprising thing is how many people get agitated that I'm not using their fad diet or losing weight their way. Way to make it about you, I guess?

This is going to sound crazy, but if you're losing a significant amount you *will* have people get upset about you losing weight at all. Some people may even try to sabotage you by bombarding you with horrible advice/constantly challenging your diet/bringing sweets "for everybody!" (you) to the office, etc.

The Hambulance
Apr 19, 2011

:20bux:

ASK ME ABOUT MY AWESOME STARTUP IDEA

Pillbug

runupon cracker posted:

This is going to sound crazy, but if you're losing a significant amount you *will* have people get upset about you losing weight at all. Some people may even try to sabotage you by bombarding you with horrible advice/constantly challenging your diet/bringing sweets "for everybody!" (you) to the office, etc.

Someone brought in Chocolate cake on Friday. I had a piece and still lost weight :P

I've just started telling people that offer unsolicited advice "Thank you, but I'm counting calories and it works for me so I might as well stick with it." Though I do find it odd that a number of people offering their sage advice are fatter than I am.

I have had to be a bit more forceful with some people that didn't get the hint :v:

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry

runupon cracker posted:

I'm slimming down, but my parents think I am starving and are always offering lots of food. It's nice in a way, but I think all those years of treats that made me happy also made me chubby as a kid.

Kullik
Jan 5, 2017

I havent really had any unwarranted advice other than someone telling me about some weight loss club or whatever and i was just like "sure ill check it out" then not bothering lol. i think they had my best interest at heart though. i have had problems with people offering me poo poo a lot though, though my calorie limit is still fairly high since im a fat fucker, so i can usually just accept a small amount and be alright

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Is it possible that devrloping a bad taste in your mouth is due to losing weight even if you're not specifically on a low-carbohydrate diet?

I mean I guess I could try brushing and flossing four times a day.

Tinestram
Jan 13, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Jerry Cotton posted:

Is it possible that devrloping a bad taste in your mouth is due to losing weight even if you're not specifically on a low-carbohydrate diet?

See a doctor, could be diabetes.

Bobbie Wickham
Apr 13, 2008

by Smythe

runupon cracker posted:

I would go to a dentist first, could be as serious as a tooth infection or as mild as a case of thrush.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

The crappy thing about losing 3 pounds of water weight overnight is that it'll all be back in a few days. I kind of expected it to be the opposite actually, since I had a ton of Chinese BBQ and figured all the msg would have me retaining water.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

runupon cracker posted:

I had my blood work done three weeks ago so it would be a very quick-onset kind of diabetes.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G
https://twitter.com/mitchysuch/status/1028689626557558789?s=19

Clockwerk
Apr 6, 2005

Jerry Cotton posted:

Yeah, ketone bodies leave a gross taste. Its not necessarily abnormal to notice during weight loss since its a byproduct of fat metabolism, but people typically dont have a high enough concentration to notice them unless theyre fasting for a day or on a similar highly restrictive calorie intake.

As someone who grew up religiously fasting each month, I can empathize

Kullik
Jan 5, 2017

First noticeable sign of progress this morning, im down a belt notch, feeling pretty great about the whole thing still.
I also convinced my girlfriend to join me which should hopefully reduce the amount of snacks in the house at all times and make meals together a bit simpler.

Blaise330
Aug 13, 2007

GOD'S FAVORITE CHAMPION

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

Coconut flour is the devil. Almond flour is so dry i think a teaspoon of it could dry out a lake. Keto baking is rough.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Been walking 10km to/from work with a heavy backpack on every day instead of driving and my weight is plummeting. Who would have thought that exercise was a factor in being healthy

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

Been walking 10km to/from work with a heavy backpack on every day instead of driving and my weight is plummeting. Who would have thought that exercise was a factor in being healthy

this is the real inconvenient truth

remote control carnivore
May 7, 2009

Blaise330 posted:

Coconut flour is the devil. Almond flour is so dry i think a teaspoon of it could dry out a lake. Keto baking is rough.

Throwing away the bag of coconut flour that my husband bought during his keto phase was hugely satisfying. That poo poo is awful.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SPCB_pIiWDY&t=7s

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer

Mozi posted:

this is the real inconvenient truth

only if you belive in thermo *snort* dynamics

tino
Jun 4, 2018

by Smythe
How do you guys estimate the calorie different between hot food and cold food? Sometimes I want to heat up the salad and eat it hot. Sometimes I get lazy and just eat cold leftover chicken wings off fridge.

Tinestram
Jan 13, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Yes, 3.5h of walking would be a decent number of calories.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer

tino posted:

How do you guys estimate the calorie different between hot food and cold food? Sometimes I want to heat up the salad and eat it hot. Sometimes I get lazy and just eat cold leftover chicken wings off fridge.

as long as it isnt cheese, it doesnt really matter that much

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

my abs are getting more and more defined every time I work out. I've gotten back into fencing training regularly, so now on top of working out 4 times a week I'm training 3 days a week at about 1.5 hours a day.

tino
Jun 4, 2018

by Smythe

Yolomon Wayne posted:

as long as it isnt cheese, it doesnt really matter that much

Why is cheese the exception?

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

tino posted:

Why is cheese the exception?

It's not.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

A couple of small setbacks for me the last few months, but I'm still down 20 pounds. Halfway to my 220 pound goal. The big gaps were when I've been out of town for work and couldn't step on my scale.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

well, I'm off keto at a doctor's recommendation and I'm gonna try portion control and avoiding sugar instead. whee

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

well, I'm off keto at a doctor's recommendation and I'm gonna try portion control and avoiding sugar instead. whee

I could have told you to do that.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

what were your cholesterol levels

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Inept posted:

what were your cholesterol levels

I don't remember. mainly I was concerned about hemoglobin a1c which was in the pre-diabetic range, that was the motivation for getting on keto

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CheesyDog
Jul 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

I don't remember. mainly I was concerned about hemoglobin a1c which was in the pre-diabetic range, that was the motivation for getting on keto

Wow two weeks and no results!?