Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

The Banter is better in AusGBS
This is a great game, it's crazy annoying when you are farming and giant lizards eat everything due to your poor fences

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Herstory Begins Now posted:

Ahahahaha I've never built it so I didn't know it was meant to be a torture thing. I guess that makes sense, a ton of the posts about this game seem like they're written by teenagers and they're all about letting the people who annoy them crawl around in the dirt with no legs or tossing their enemies into beak thing nests and selling people into slavery.

Then again, it's the game maker, too: getting eaten alive is like the #1 threat in the game.

I don't really mind the getting eaten alive because when it happens your character is usually unconscious. Its just the five minutes of "oh god stop it hurts" that make me kinda go "whoa dude".

Definitely into giving a holy nation leader a robo leg so he gets attacked by his own troops though, that shits hilarious.

With building a base, it really does depend on where you set up, but holy nation territory is pretty safe so long as you follow their laws (no shek or robots, need a male greenlander with a book called "the holy flame", pray whenever the priest comes by).

Downside is if a guy loses a leg you can't replace it with a prosthetic. One of my games I was settled there and a guy lost a leg and couldn't get anywhere. Instead of letting him go i've just put the wheat/flour/bread machines all next to eachother and he just moves very little.

Kharnifex posted:

This is a great game, it's crazy annoying when you are farming and giant lizards eat everything due to your poor fences

You should get mercs for this. Attack the lizards with one guy and the mercs will step in. They say they have looting rights but you're actually fine to loot them, mercs just want to take gear that's better than theirs (or worse, i've got a mercenary captain who replaced his plate with a rag shirt). The leather and meat you get more than pays for the mercs.

Bonus if you tag the lizard with a turret user so you can train that up too.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

I played this for a bit but it’s really a shame you can’t take over towns.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

VulgarandStupid posted:

I played this for a bit but it’s really a shame you can’t take over towns.

I think this is a planned feature

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

They added the groundwork for it in the last patch or two, even. A lot of stuff involving settlements is being held off until the map is finished (which is what they're doing now) but stuff like killing faction leaders and them getting replacements, as well as (I believe) certain factions taking over certain other places if conditions are met.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Garfu posted:

Install the training dummy mod

which, theres like 4

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
Whichever, they're all insanely op, it's just a matter of how game breaking.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
I went with:

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1424734278

Because I still want there to be some challenge left.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Carcer posted:

I went with:

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1424734278

Because I still want there to be some challenge left.

Thanks homie

Orv
May 4, 2011
No no you alternate max minimum, you amateur.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
Reminds me of

https://imgur.com/a/YKvCgTe

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I did not realise this game had a breast slider and i'm kinda disappointed it doesn't have a dong slider.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

I prefer training my people up on paladins or other high powered guys as the opportunity presents. Training on dummies is so dull and anti-fun. I'll do the first 13-14 points on a dummy mk3 and from then on it's the real deal. Though since my preferred recruits are freed outlaw farmer/bandit slaves they usually have pretty close to the mk3 dummy limit when they start anyways.

My main sneak dude always ends up with like a billion sneak/assassination skill so if i see some small group of badasses from a faction i don't like wandering around I'll clock them on the back of the head, confiscate their weapons, run in my low skill guys to slowly beat the poo poo out of them with lovely rusty weapons when they wake up. There is pretty close to zero risk doing this as your sneak guy will inevitably end up being able to run like 20 miles an hour while sneaking so failed KO's just mean you run away instead of beating them up.

If you want, after the first beat down you can always kidnap them and bring them home to your arena for future sessions.

Also the current experimental branch has a rad bug that deletes your towns or reverts purchased town buildings back to their default state, deleting all items you had stored there so be mindful of that.

EDIT: annnd there's a note in today's patch saying that's fixed :thumbsup:

Nuclearmonkee fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Aug 13, 2018

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
I’m hoping there’s more squad automation in the future. I feel as if I have to keep my eyes on everyone at the same time. Making sure the miners keep mining, my soldiers are training, dudes are all well fed...

Hypothetically seems easy if I have this all under one roof but I can’t afford that. It’s just tedious when your squad is spanned across a large area.

Griz
May 21, 2001

Babe Magnet posted:

They added the groundwork for it in the last patch or two, even. A lot of stuff involving settlements is being held off until the map is finished (which is what they're doing now) but stuff like killing faction leaders and them getting replacements, as well as (I believe) certain factions taking over certain other places if conditions are met.

this is at least partially implemented now: some guy on the forum said "after killing all the holy nation leaders, the fogmen invaded the holy lands, and shek literally took over bad teeth and the other southern city"

I'm still in the early game "pull everything to guards" phase, but I just discovered that paying the 10k to join the thief guild not only makes their guards run all the way across town to defend you, but they also have a vendor that sells decent armor and no-penalty backpacks at half price.

this game has some dwarf fortress quality bug reports:

quote:

So I bought a bonedog puppy because I saw that other bonedogs eat corpses.
Mine is now an "elder" and yet it STILL doesn't eat limbs or corpses??? It freaking gets a sandwich from the barrel or a nice ration pack??
What gives?

Griz fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Aug 14, 2018

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop

buglord posted:

I’m hoping there’s more squad automation in the future. I feel as if I have to keep my eyes on everyone at the same time. Making sure the miners keep mining, my soldiers are training, dudes are all well fed...

Hypothetically seems easy if I have this all under one roof but I can’t afford that. It’s just tedious when your squad is spanned across a large area.

Indeed. Just to auto sell my copper would be enough...

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

I've had no issues automating feeding and mining and such even with a distributed set of squads. As long as stuff is moderately close together they will run between buildings to eat and store things or do whatever. Just have to make sure you lay it out to minimize the possibility of them getting stuck on poo poo.

Main annoyance is repelling attacks as it's rather hard to maintain defense on multiple places. It's easier to just have one main outpost and have any alternate locations just be purchased buildings in friendly towns.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
Imo you aren't really meant to get some ridiculous sprawling mega city. There's really no point as the benefits don't scale to the amount of work, nor is anything besides edgewalker/meitou weapons and maybe AI cores actually very scarce. The game really lacks an endgame at the moment, though you can tell that's a major priority of the devs rn. Once you're strong enough to kill the emperor of the united cities and deal with the generals they send to raid you, there's really nothing left but to sight see.

Frankly wandering around overpowered af and just taking in the sites and butchering anything that looks at you funny is the end game. There's also quite a bit of surprisingly good lore scattered around that ultimately gives some insight into the weird af landscape and ruins and the histories of the various factions, etc.

As soon as the game feels tedious I'd just load up one of the harder starts and start over. The one armed, unarmed, broke, naked guy start is fun af. There are also some really brutal starts on the workshop to spice things up. I generally don't really care for the role playing aspect of RPGs, but Kenshi starts you off so week you effectively have to roleplay either a thief or some military tagalong or a town artisan for the first couple hours.

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 10:20 on Aug 14, 2018

Mr. Pool
Jul 10, 2001
any way to tame animals or recruit them in the wild? I found a hoplessly lost pack beast from a trader caravan. come be my packmule!! I'll feed you!!

kikkelivelho
Aug 27, 2015

I decided to set up a town on the northern edge of the swamp, and now every group that visits has for some reason decided to stay indefinitely. There's a tech hunter squad whose contract ended days ago, a group of mercenaries, and most recently a massive caravan of nomads and their animals. There's like 25 guys and a bunch of farm animals just hanging around and destroying anyone who dares to come in through the gate. I assume this is a bug or something cause this is just unfair to the guys trying to attack my town.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
hit ctrl shift f11, see if that fixes it. Failing that, do you have a shop in your settlement?

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Making your place public with a lovely shop selling surplus goods to make guys come in to chill and kick the poo poo out of bandits and stuff for you is legit.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
Shops break pathing for some reason but apparently if you add a second shop on the other end of your town sometimes it will fix it?

Griz
May 21, 2001

Stark Fist posted:

Indeed. Just to auto sell my copper would be enough...
building a storage on the roof of one of the buildings next to the Hub bar is almost as good as auto-selling.

your dudes will auto-drop-off from surprisingly far away (it even works with the northwest deposit that's halfway to the other bar) and the storm house and bughouse next to the bar should be within building inventory range so you can have someone stand next to the vendor and dump all your copper without having to move at all. the west storm house behind the two shacks is just slightly too far, so if you use that one you'll have to run over to the bar door to get more copper from the box.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Yeah i found a real good place to set up on the edge of the swamp. It has armies of starving bandits (i saw 30 of them take down a beak thing before butchering it). It's not to far from the Grayflayer village and i've only seen a couple of blood spiders.

Once I get my Iron refinery and farms up it'll be a good place to train up my guys and i've joined a gang, apparently. The gang seems pretty helpful, costs 2000 cats every other day to stay in it but i'm in the swamps, i'm literally swimming in animal parts. There is a copper and an iron mine inside my walls, so the next step is to just upgrade my walls and finish off my research before I start exploring.

The hungry bandit attacks are absolutely fantastic for training up my new recruits. Zero danger, but they'll get the poo poo kicked out of them so often their toughness is gonna go through the roof. Gonna keep the newbies on guard duty for now.

Mr. Pool
Jul 10, 2001
TIL you can get a nice set of drifter gear , ninja blades, wakishis etc, by joining the shinobi and then going to the bar and talking poo poo on the "tough guys" and then the guards take your side and murder them. Wish I had done this sooner!!!

Mr. Pool
Jul 10, 2001
my bonedog just picked up a severed arm, merrily ran in circles and then ate it. GOOD BOY

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Mr. Pool posted:

TIL you can get a nice set of drifter gear , ninja blades, wakishis etc, by joining the shinobi and then going to the bar and talking poo poo on the "tough guys" and then the guards take your side and murder them. Wish I had done this sooner!!!

Shinobi thieves are super good to be friends with. 50% discounted poo poo, free facilities and guards. I pretty much spent my first 10k on making them my friends this time around.

Griz posted:

building a storage on the roof of one of the buildings next to the Hub bar is almost as good as auto-selling.

your dudes will auto-drop-off from surprisingly far away (it even works with the northwest deposit that's halfway to the other bar) and the storm house and bughouse next to the bar should be within building inventory range so you can have someone stand next to the vendor and dump all your copper without having to move at all. the west storm house behind the two shacks is just slightly too far, so if you use that one you'll have to run over to the bar door to get more copper from the box.

Actually using a trick I figured out to make them haul iron and steel from outside hub into my chests in the hub. Put a storage near the mine and one in my crafting area in the hub. Assign dudes on the jobs to stock both storage bins, with the one in the hub at a higher priority. He will pick up something to bring it over to the local storage, and then once he has it in his inventory he will go "hay I have a job to run up the mountain and put steel in a box don't I" and he will do it.

Nuclearmonkee fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Aug 15, 2018

kikkelivelho
Aug 27, 2015

Well the nomads decided to leave after a few days. The tech hunters are still guarding my town for free though, seems like a bad business model but I don't mind. I don't have a shop in town and it's not a navmesh issue either. Seems like people just think I've hired them to guard the town for some reason.

Do the shops actually work? I read somewhere that they don't work correctly right now.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

kikkelivelho posted:

Well the nomads decided to leave after a few days. The tech hunters are still guarding my town for free though, seems like a bad business model but I don't mind. I don't have a shop in town and it's not a navmesh issue either. Seems like people just think I've hired them to guard the town for some reason.

Do the shops actually work? I read somewhere that they don't work correctly right now.

Sometimes they seem to sell stuff but mostly like basic commodities? They are buggy as gently caress

Arven
Sep 23, 2007
My go to move at the start of any new game is to scrounge up about 10k, then contract 3 groups of mercs/tech hunters and let them all sacrifice their lives clearing out the robot spiders from the ruins in the northwest swamp area of the map. You walk away with the gear of their fallen plus 150k+ cats worth of loot and ancient science books. It helps to have a couple squaddies with merchant packs to help carry stuff back.

Mr. Pool
Jul 10, 2001
I went to the swamps to buy hashish based on the tip from the shinobi trader, now im back and looking to sell to him and it looks like I would be selling at a loss? zuh? is there something I'm missing here or is there just a better place to sell

Mr. Pool
Jul 10, 2001

Arven posted:

My go to move at the start of any new game is to scrounge up about 10k, then contract 3 groups of mercs/tech hunters and let them all sacrifice their lives clearing out the robot spiders from the ruins in the northwest swamp area of the map. You walk away with the gear of their fallen plus 150k+ cats worth of loot and ancient science books. It helps to have a couple squaddies with merchant packs to help carry stuff back.

thats horrible you of you, I approve !!

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Arven posted:

I usually clear those by running a guy in to get all the spiders to chase him out, and then once they are out of the building I sneak a 2nd guy in and shut the door so I can loot it safely. Security spiders can't open the door to get back inside.

Captain Billy Pissboy
Oct 25, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice
I can't believe I'm just discovering this game. I've put together a solid team and am currently exploring.

Is there a plot or main story? People have mentioned lore but I've yet to find any.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Captain Billy Pissboy posted:

I can't believe I'm just discovering this game. I've put together a solid team and am currently exploring.

Is there a plot or main story? People have mentioned lore but I've yet to find any.

Read books you find particularly ones out at World's End. Old robots will also tell you a lot of stuff while you wander around.

It's a large sandbox world with a neat setting mostly. You make the story

Nuclearmonkee fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Aug 15, 2018

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
All the faction capitals generally have some lore type stuff sitting around waiting for you to snoop around.

Mr. Pool
Jul 10, 2001
Walked my rear end all the way south to Clownsteady and made a good profit on my drug cargo, also found another one of the free npcs!

Mr. Pool
Jul 10, 2001
Where the heck can I buy a backpack for my dog?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Guy Bob
Apr 30, 2009
I don't think bonedog packs are a thing in the game.

Arven posted:

Mine is to go lure a beak thing nest into the nearest hive village, then go back and take and sale all those eggs. Maybe steal a backpack from Squin if I need the space. Then pick up some plate armor and drifters pants and go to town on starving bandits.