Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
JLU was awesome. None of the characters had enough screentime to become grating and left you wanting more. Loved Green Arrow in it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Watching Lex Luthor's descent from businessman to purple-and-green jumpsuit terrorist to presidential candidate to Brainiac cultist was amazing. :allears:

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

JLU Luthor had one of my favorite burns. It's with grod right before he gets blasted into space.

Lex: Goodbye, Grodd. It could have gone the other way.
Grodd: It really could have, couldn't it?
Lex Luthor: No. But why speak ill of the dead?

JLU was solid goddamn gold and season 2 is the best superhero tv season ever made.

Monaghan fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Aug 14, 2018

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Clancy Brown was just the goddamn best Lex Luthor and shame on other actors trying to portray him especially that Michael Cera looking motherfucker who thought he was playing the Joker

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Monaghan posted:

JLU Luthor had one of my favorite burns. It's with grod right before he gets blasted into space.

Lex: Goodbye, Grodd. It could have gone the other way.
Grodd: It really could have, couldn't it?
Lex Luthor: No. But why speak ill of the dead?

JLU was solid goddamn gold and season 2 is the best superhero tv season ever made.

that whole villain vs. villain fight was loving awesome.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Cartoons generally shy away from continuity since they want to be accessible and the first two seasons of Justice League did that by sticking with two and three part storylines. But then in Unlimited they were like “Nope, time to do seasonal arcs that call back to events that happened 10 years ago in a different show. It was so rewarding as someone who grew up watching Superman to have the finale of that series play a big part in the Cadmus arc. And then all the callbacks in that final Batman Beyond centric episode. They really pushed the idea of a shared universe to the limits.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

JLU also featured The Wall picking up the biggest Kirby Gun she could find and fighting Darkseid.

Oh, and Jeffery Combs' Question. Can't forget him.

Supergirl: "You go through my garbage!?"
Question: "Please. I go through everyone's garbage."

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Ccs posted:

Cartoons generally shy away from continuity since they want to be accessible and the first two seasons of Justice League did that by sticking with two and three part storylines. But then in Unlimited they were like “Nope, time to do seasonal arcs that call back to events that happened 10 years ago in a different show. It was so rewarding as someone who grew up watching Superman to have the finale of that series play a big part in the Cadmus arc. And then all the callbacks in that final Batman Beyond centric episode. They really pushed the idea of a shared universe to the limits.

They had a whole other season after the Batman Beyond episode.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I hate that episode.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Lurdiak posted:

I hate that episode.

What, you have a problem with Amanda Waller cloning Bruce Wayne, impregnating a woman against her will and then trying to murder this weird clone babies entire family?

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Skwirl posted:

What, you have a problem with Amanda Waller cloning Bruce Wayne, impregnating a woman against her will and then trying to murder this weird clone babies entire family?

Funny thing is that despite how awful that all is, it still pales to the bullshit her main continuity counterpart does all the time

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Skwirl posted:

It's no miscarried Barbara Gordon baby, but it's close.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Skwirl posted:

She doesn't impregnate Terry's mom, she just alters Terry's dad's ball DNA and lets nature take its course.

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013

Lurdiak posted:

It's no miscarried Barbara Gordon baby, but it's close.

..What?

Thompsons
Aug 28, 2008

Ask me about onklunk extraction.

muscles like this! posted:

She doesn't impregnate Terry's mom, she just alters Terry's dad's ball DNA and lets nature take its course.

It still sucks though because it cheapens Terry and Bruce's relationship by saying "yeah you were basically fated to be like him instead of you two coming together by happenstance and forging a natural bond."

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

A really bad Batman Beyond comic has Bruce knock Babs up and she later miscarries. It has since been thankfully written out of continuity, but still gets brought up in discussions as an example of "it could always be worse"

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Thompsons posted:

It still sucks though because it cheapens Terry and Bruce's relationship by saying "yeah you were basically fated to be like him instead of you two coming together by happenstance and forging a natural bond."

It was still happenstance pretty much.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

muscles like this! posted:

Don't forget her trying to kill Terry's parents.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Thompsons posted:

There's also an element of denying the personal initiative of humans to decide their own fate if Terry's just genetically predestined to be a batman. That cheapens the whole self-made aspect that some people find appealing about Batman compared to other superheroes.

Of course, Bruce Wayne didn't necessarily get a genetic boost, but he did spend his entire life coasting off of his inherited fortune and social standing in between putting the effort in to become Batman.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Yeah it cuts Terry's legs as a character out from under him. He had his own tragedy, distinct from Bruce, and he was never the same kind of person as Bruce is. He stepped into the role and made it his own through hard work and character progression that unfolds over the course of the show. It would be like a modern story revealing that Dick Grayson or Tim Drake were secret cloning projects made with Batman's DNA because how else could they do Batman stuff???

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Android Blues posted:

Yeah it cuts Terry's legs as a character out from under him. He had his own tragedy, distinct from Bruce, and he was never the same kind of person as Bruce is. He stepped into the role and made it his own through hard work and character progression that unfolds over the course of the show. It would be like a modern story revealing that Dick Grayson or Tim Drake were secret cloning projects made with Batman's DNA because how else could they do Batman stuff???

But how does that undermines Terry's tragedy?

His Dad was killed by Jokerz. Just because it turned out he wasn't technically his biological father is irrelevant.
In fact it says something that Amanda Waller attempted to engineer a Batman, but that failed. (And who knows how many other kids she orphaned trying to make them into Batman.)
It was fate that made Terry into Batman. Fate and his own choices. His DNA doesn't come into it.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

TwoPair posted:

A really bad Batman Beyond comic has Bruce knock Babs up and she later miscarries. It has since been thankfully written out of continuity, but still gets brought up in discussions as an example of "it could always be worse"

The Bruce/Babs thing is one of the worst things to come out of the Timmverse.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

SlothfulCobra posted:

There's also an element of denying the personal initiative of humans to decide their own fate if Terry's just genetically predestined to be a batman. That cheapens the whole self-made aspect that some people find appealing about Batman compared to other superheroes.

Of course, Bruce Wayne didn't necessarily get a genetic boost, but he did spend his entire life coasting off of his inherited fortune and social standing in between putting the effort in to become Batman.

Yeah, this has long been one of my favorite aspects of Batman. Also, TAS Bruce at least would always try to help the homeless and downtrodden as well as just donating a ton to charity. Not sure if that’s in the comics too.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Yeah there's that kinda nice episode where he gets the ventriloquist a job at Wayne industries when he gets out of jail and protects him when his old gang start messing with him. I like when they write Batman doing stuff like that as well as actually going out and doing stuff at night.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

thebardyspoon posted:

Yeah there's that kinda nice episode where he gets the ventriloquist a job at Wayne industries when he gets out of jail and protects him when his old gang start messing with him. I like when they write Batman doing stuff like that as well as actually going out and doing stuff at night.

That was a good episode.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Nanigans posted:

Yeah, this has long been one of my favorite aspects of Batman. Also, TAS Bruce at least would always try to help the homeless and downtrodden as well as just donating a ton to charity. Not sure if that’s in the comics too.

It is. Bruce will give a job to about anybody he runs across and Wayne Industries does massive charity work. Possibly only outdone by LexCorp.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
Batman is so cool. :allears:

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

thebardyspoon posted:

Even though the animation is kinda rough and it has weird sound errors, one of my favorite episodes is Lock-Up, because it shows Bruce Wayne on the Arkham Asylum board of directors and the villain is an abusive warden. The entire episode is also a not so subtle critique of The Dark Knight Returns, with Lock-Up standing in for Miller's humorless, hateful control freak Batman.

Nanigans posted:

Batman is so cool. :allears:

Charitable, humanitarian Batman is maybe 30% of all Batman comics ever published. There's way too much scowling, bone breaking rear end in a top hat for my tastes.

And now I've just remembered that an old Batman comic I read featured Bruce Wayne being shamed for not supporting some organization or other, and the story resolving with Batman donating a huge check to said organization and the lady is like "Now there's an upstanding citizen, not like that Bruce Wayne!"

Batman, have you ever heard of the IRS?

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Just watched the most recent 2 episodes of MArvel's Spider-Man...apparently they're gearing up for Superior Spider-Man in the next few episodes.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Batman has cheques?

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Dawgstar posted:

It is. Bruce will give a job to about anybody he runs across and Wayne Industries does massive charity work. Possibly only outdone by LexCorp.

But this is right:

Lurdiak posted:

Charitable, humanitarian Batman is maybe 30% of all Batman comics ever published. There's way too much scowling, bone breaking rear end in a top hat for my tastes.

And now I've just remembered that an old Batman comic I read featured Bruce Wayne being shamed for not supporting some organization or other, and the story resolving with Batman donating a huge check to said organization and the lady is like "Now there's an upstanding citizen, not like that Bruce Wayne!"

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Scaramouche posted:

Batman has cheques?

No way. Batman always pays by card.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Android Blues posted:

Yeah, the difference in their tragedy and how they dealt with it informs the difference between the characters. It's why Terry always felt more like Spider-Man in the DC Universe than Batman Junior.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

pubic works project posted:

that whole villain vs. villain fight was loving awesome.

The entire league of super villains lead by Grodd arc was great.

My favorite part being when Grodd finally reveals his mystery master plan to be just turning every human into apes and Lex as an ape just stares at him with a look of total unsurprise and disappointment.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Oh yeah, Marvel Rising is up on youtube. It's apparently a prequel tv-length feature cut up into six shorts on youtube. Mostly explaining Spider-Gwen's whole deal. Which is kinda fun because how Kevin died is a bit different than in the comics.

Beyond that, it looked pretty good! Fun little thing, though Squirrel Girl's not as good in it as i'd hope.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

Lurdiak posted:

The IRS is coming for the Caped Crusading Tax Evader

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Oh yeah, Marvel Rising is up on youtube. It's apparently a prequel tv-length feature cut up into six shorts on youtube. Mostly explaining Spider-Gwen's whole deal. Which is kinda fun because how Kevin died is a bit different than in the comics.

I liked how Kevin was Iceman with the numbers filed off. All Gwen needed was a fire buddy and she would've had her own Amazing Friends.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Really enjoyed the marvel/SG EPs but I'm not sure if that's because I just really like seeing them on screen together or they were actually the best part. Didn't find myself liking Gwen that much which since this whole intro arc is gonna be about her kinda sucks

I hope patriot being an annoying rear end in a top hat isn't gonna be a forever trait because it took less than three minutes to become grating to sit through

E: also hope it gets popular enough to get a real budget too

site fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Aug 16, 2018

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Oh yeah, Marvel Rising is up on youtube.
The uploader has not made this video available in your country.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠

Thompsons posted:

The thing is, that episode, and the whole of Batman Beyond, is showing how even though Terry is Batman now, he's not going to be Bruce, he is his own man.