Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

:saddowns: I'm terrible at berserking doomguy I keep overshooting my targets. But even without using that skill, being silent and having Dat Jump is just aces. The additional paths it opens up are great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MysteriousStranger
Mar 3, 2016
My "vacation" is a euphemism for war tourism in Ukraine for some "bloody work" to escape my boring techie job and family.

Ask me about my warcrimes.

Mindblast posted:

:saddowns: I'm terrible at berserking doomguy I keep overshooting my targets. But even without using that skill, being silent and having Dat Jump is just aces. The additional paths it opens up are great.

You're doing it wrong. The beserk was never good for killing people. The ace in Doom Guy is double jump is one of the best passives bar none. The thing about berserk is not for killing people, it's that you can fly around the map and pick up all the items really drat fast. Off spawn, this his hilarious for getting all the good poo poo, it's amazing for plucking an item out from under someone, and it's also aces for bailing out of a fight you can win grabbing a bunch of health and then running back.

View it less as a berserk and more of a speed hack.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

i feel in no way qualified to give advice on how to play quake but if i find myself repeatedly getting owned and frustrated and on the wrong side of stomps, forgetting to build my stack before engaging is the problem like 90% of the time, with the other 10% probably being attributable to age and whiskey

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

MysteriousStranger posted:

You're doing it wrong. The beserk was never good for killing people. The ace in Doom Guy is double jump is one of the best passives bar none. The thing about berserk is not for killing people, it's that you can fly around the map and pick up all the items really drat fast. Off spawn, this his hilarious for getting all the good poo poo, it's amazing for plucking an item out from under someone, and it's also aces for bailing out of a fight you can win grabbing a bunch of health and then running back.

Good point! There's a lot of value in there. doesn't have a crazy long cooldown either.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

boar guy posted:

i feel in no way qualified to give advice on how to play quake but if i find myself repeatedly getting owned and frustrated and on the wrong side of stomps, forgetting to build my stack before engaging is the problem like 90% of the time, with the other 10% probably being attributable to age and whiskey

Sometimes I start missing lots of shots and wonder why I'm sucking

Then I remember whiskey is bad for hand eye coordination :cheeky:

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.

Zaphod42 posted:

Sometimes I start missing lots of shots and wonder why I'm sucking

Then I remember whiskey is bad for hand eye coordination :cheeky:

I holehardetly dishagree

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Back when I drank, a bit of alcohol greased the nerves provided I stuck to a bit of drinking and no more. I'm sure they've already scientifically proven that alcohol doesn't improve your max potential, but rather decreases it. But a bit can still help, if you're not good at hitting your personal ceiling because some level of anxiety or a nerve twitch gets in the way.

MysteriousStranger
Mar 3, 2016
My "vacation" is a euphemism for war tourism in Ukraine for some "bloody work" to escape my boring techie job and family.

Mindblast posted:

Good point! There's a lot of value in there. doesn't have a crazy long cooldown either.

It's sort of counter intuitive but it works.

Mindblast posted:

Back when I drank, a bit of alcohol greased the nerves provided I stuck to a bit of drinking and no more. I'm sure they've already scientifically proven that alcohol doesn't improve your max potential, but rather decreases it. But a bit can still help, if you're not good at hitting your personal ceiling because some level of anxiety or a nerve twitch gets in the way.

Drink a bit don't get nerves, drink to much and play like poo poo.

cougar cub
Jun 28, 2004

Housh posted:

What do you guys bind gauntlet to? I got the Rival 310 so I'm thinking of using one of those extra mouse buttons. Any suggestions?

You should never be using the gauntlet so a non-prime location is best. I use z.

Mouse 4 / 5 are premium buttons because you can keep aiming and wasd moving when pressing them. I have use ability bound to m4 and saving m5 for Q3 style taunt. Yes, taunt deserves a premium position. :iia:

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

My M4 and 5 are for Discord ptt and Zoom. Jump on mouse two/space, control on crouch, weapon binds on 1-5 qerc.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

cougar cub posted:

You should never be using the gauntlet

Get a load of this post

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

fadam posted:

My M4 and 5 are for Discord ptt and Zoom. Jump on mouse two/space, control on crouch, weapon binds on 1-5 qerc.

My M4 has been my P2T for comms for years but for Discord I’ve had a problem of it acting like a back button in my browser. Have you found a way to fix this or is it just me?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Mindblast posted:

Yeah, a little booze helps me get 'in the zone' and not overthink things. But its easy to go too far and start missing.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Tried that .bat thing and I'm still having micro stutters. I've tried turning down graphics and same thing happens

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

just smoke weed and don't care when you get owned

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

hawowanlawow posted:

MysteriousStranger
Mar 3, 2016

Anita Dickinme posted:

My M4 has been my P2T for comms for years but for Discord I’ve had a problem of it acting like a back button in my browser. Have you found a way to fix this or is it just me?

I have that and works with my mouse and my past one, both Steelseries brand.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Mindblast posted:

This but weed

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

hawowanlawow posted:

This but I still do the owning even when I'm smoking and drinking :getin:

Until it matches me with real pros and then suddenly it gets too real

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Yeah I'll be cruising at 6-7 FFA games in a row getting top three, then all of a sudden get thrown in with freaks and get stomped into 7th place

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Huh guess I fixed it. Set fps cap in riveria tuner and set quake fps cap to infinate. Seems to have worked

nerdrum
Aug 17, 2007

where am I
I love Quake when I'm good at it.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.

The Slack Lagoon posted:

Huh guess I fixed it. Set fps cap in riveria tuner and set quake fps cap to infinate. Seems to have worked

Cool. Let us know if that works long term? Would be nice to have a fix for any other players having that trouble.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

nerdrum posted:

Jeeze you got one of them fancy ultrawide curved montiors huh?

What FOV you play at, 180?

E: Did one guy drop or are you bragging about 4v3 :cheeky:

evilfunkyogi
Jun 27, 2005
:effort:

quote:

You should never not be using the gauntlet.

MysteriousStranger
Mar 3, 2016

nerdrum posted:

How do you do it on an ultrawide? I can't stand those things for fast games, too much head turning. Blast for single player games though.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

I was pretty terrible tonight but I'm sticking to the ranger until I get good.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Housh posted:

I was pretty terrible tonight but I'm sticking to the ranger until I get good.

Ranger was my favorite character until just recently. Now he's about tied with Death Knight, BJ, Sorlag and Visor.

I love doomguy but the double jump just kinda throws me off. I'm so not used to having it, I don't know what to do with it and I screw up my bunny hopping.

Ranger is so good though.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Double daily rewards is pretty sweet and I'm gonna miss that poo poo next month

MysteriousStranger
Mar 3, 2016

Zaphod42 posted:

Ranger was my favorite character until just recently. Now he's about tied with Death Knight, BJ, Sorlag and Visor.

I love doomguy but the double jump just kinda throws me off. I'm so not used to having it, I don't know what to do with it and I screw up my bunny hopping.

Ranger is so good though.

Ranger is just solid. Less damaging rocket jumps are good. His active is a combined instant kill, mix up, get out of jail card, and movement option.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

I felt like I was doing really well that round but they kept me honest. Felt like everybody in this match was pretty competent, really fun stuff.

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

Just got the Q2 Railgun!

Jose Mengelez
Sep 11, 2001

by Azathoth
buh?

so i'm running an i7 8700k oc'ed to 4.8ghz a gtx 1080 and a fresh install of windows 10. playing against a full server of bots with the framerate uncapped i'm hitting a pretty solid 330fps. nice!

i try the same thing with human players however and it's stuttering like crazy, topping out at around 270 with lows of 170ish. still pretty good, i guess if i cap it at 144 (monitor refresh rate) it'll be stable right?

stuttery as hell drops into the 90's. cap it at 60? stuttery with frequent drops into the 40's.

:wtc:

this is almost as dumb as when the lg dps was tied to framerate. almost.

The Slack Lagoon posted:

about to try this (with nvidia inspector) with the cpu set to high priority and see if i fare much better.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

MysteriousStranger posted:

I just tested this, and can't you get more speed out of just regular strafe jumping with double jumps weaved in versus just running around in berserk? I was capped at 500 UPS while berserked, but I could average like ~530 out of berserk and my movement is pretty bad.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Berserk is faster acceleration, more maneuverability. You’re right that it’s slower than strafejumping in a more or less straight line.

Jose Mengelez
Sep 11, 2001

by Azathoth
:siren:GET THIS poo poo IN THE OP:siren:

HoboWithAShotgun posted:

Try running a batch file for high CPU priority

code:
start steam://rungameid/611500
@echo Launching Quake Champions
@echo Setting High Priority in [30 seconds]
timeout /t 30 /nobreak
wmic process where name="QuakeChampions.exe" CALL setpriority "high priority"
I mostly just want to see if it's still useful now, I started using it ages ago and haven't stopped. I haven't really run into any of the issues people complain about so I've just kept it.

The Slack Lagoon posted:

Huh guess I fixed it. Set fps cap in rivatuner and set quake fps cap to infinite. Seems to have worked

just did this in nvidia inspector (also raised the power settings to max performance) and launched with the batch file (hey why not? it worked for gtaIV back in the day :p)

locked it at 153.6fps and got a nice steady 144fps.
weirdly i was still getting the performance icon for framedrops (little yellow box thing) so i figure maybe the ingame fps counter is dogshit?

double checked with fraps and same thing, 144fps solid as a rock. (slightly moreso even)

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn
I decided to try this out today and it seems like that was a bad idea. Why has something as small as the cursor not being visible in full screen been addressed? The game wants you to create an account but the Bethesda site doesn't even work. I can see why there's so many negative reviews if they can't even fix minor problems.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:

hawowanlawow posted:

worst case scenario it turns whatever you're playing into a good survival horror game

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS

fadam posted:

I just tested this, and can't you get more speed out of just regular strafe jumping with double jumps weaved in versus just running around in berserk? I was capped at 500 UPS while berserked, but I could average like ~530 out of berserk and my movement is pretty bad.

kaschei posted:

Berserk is faster acceleration, more maneuverability. You’re right that it’s slower than strafejumping in a more or less straight line.

Berserk is immediate 500 speed in all 8 directions with full corner maneuverability. Unlike the patched Scalebearer, he'll retain full rotation control this way too in addition to the berserk armor buff (good for surviving rails).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MysteriousStranger
Mar 3, 2016

Uncle Kitchener posted:

Berserk is immediate 500 speed in all 8 directions with full corner maneuverability. Unlike the patched Scalebearer, he'll retain full rotation control this way too in addition to the berserk armor buff (good for surviving rails).

This!