Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

That Works posted:

This is every infectious disease ever that does not kill small rich white american children btw.

ftfy for 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crakkerjakk
Mar 14, 2016

There was a small outbreak in May that was contained. This is a new, larger one, 1500 miles away, and in the middle of a whole bunch of armed groups that don't trust outsiders or each other.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Manafort's entire defense at this point is basically, 'Nuh-uh!' and they said their piece during cross examination. If they bring any witnesses in defense they'd get munched up and spit out by a gleefully grinning prosecution and they're not exactly brimming with evidence of his innocence. It probably is in his best interest, such as it is, to not do anything more.

Raise doubts during the trial, sum up burden of proof in the closing arguments and roll the dice on some Trumpian mouth breathing mother fucker in the jury holding out for a hung jury then a retrial where he can play the victim card every one of these hypocritical poo poo stains love to carry around.

CongoJack
Nov 5, 2009

Ask Why, Asshole
Maybe a giant plague will wipe out so many people that some of the worst effects of climate change will be staved off a few decades.

One can hope!

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

CongoJack posted:

Maybe a giant plague will wipe out so many people that some of the worst effects of climate change will be staved off a few decades.

One can hope!

We've been over that, it's too late, this is happening even if we guillotine 2/3rds of the people tomorrow

Crakkerjakk
Mar 14, 2016

bird food bathtub posted:

Manafort's entire defense at this point is basically, 'Nuh-uh!' and they said their piece during cross examination. If they bring any witnesses in defense they'd get munched up and spit out by a gleefully grinning prosecution and they're not exactly brimming with evidence of his innocence. It probably is in his best interest, such as it is, to not do anything more.

Raise doubts during the trial, sum up burden of proof in the closing arguments and roll the dice on some Trumpian mouth breathing mother fucker in the jury holding out for a hung jury then a retrial where he can play the victim card every one of these hypocritical poo poo stains love to carry around.

Also, hang in there for a pardon and don't make it worse by bringing up any more poo poo in open court that might make your former employers (including Trump) or business associates look even worse.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Oh yeah if we did indeed already set off the methane gun (they're mixed on the matter right now, which should terrify people but it's 2018 so lol) in the tundra we're hosed even if you had simultaneously stopped all industry and internal combustion engines period forever.

There's an absolute shitload of greenhouse gasses stored in the permafrost/tundra. We're either dangerously close, or in some cases already breaking into it and setting the gasses free. That in turn will make the area hotter, which will in turn free more gas, etc. It will be a completely runaway reaction with absolutely no way to stop it at all period. I think they last estimated that there's enough methane and other stuff in the tundra to raise global temperatures by like 3C which is enough to basically end the world as we know it and make things VERY interesting.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

https://twitter.com/bterris/status/1029838561783308299

quote:

In Washington, changes in allegiance are nothing new, nor is the art of redirecting any criticism that might follow. Trump loyalists have not changed the fundamental rules of the city — the weapon of shame remains most powerful in the hands of the shameless — but they have redefined the boundaries of play. Some people seem uncomfortable with that, but not Kellyanne. Here’s a conversation from a few days after our walk:

Me: You told me you found [George’s tweets] disrespectful.

Kellyanne: It is disrespectful, it’s a violation of basic decency, certainly, if not marital vows . . . as “a person familiar with their relationship.”

Me: No, we’re on the record here. You can’t say after the fact “as someone familiar.”

Kellyanne: I told you everything about his tweets was off the record.

Me: No, that’s not true. That never happened.

Kellyanne: Well, people do see it this way. People do see it that way, I don’t say I do, but people see it that way.

Me: But I’m saying we never discussed everything about his tweets being off the record. There are certain things you said that I put off the record.

Kellyanne: Fine. I’ve never actually said what I think about it and I won’t say what I think about it, which tells you what I think about it.

Good article. Kind of feel bad for George but, only a little

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

She does a very early morning workout on base. I was considering trying to get a selfie with her but then I recalled I'd much rather sleep.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

punch all chuds

https://sacramento.cbslocal.com/2018/08/15/social-distortion-mike-ness-beating/

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

quote:

“I pretty much said I paid for your music, not your politics"

It's a loving PUNK BAND.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:
Lol the crowd held him while Ness beat his face.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

A good crowd

Tryzzub
Jan 1, 2007

Mudslide Experiment

https://youtu.be/-MkRuV0aCcI

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

I’m disappointed the pit didn’t take care of this.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
https://foreignpolicy.com/2018/08/15/botched-cia-communications-system-helped-blow-cover-chinese-agents-intelligence/

quote:

It was considered one of the CIA’s worst failures in decades: Over a two-year period starting in late 2010, Chinese authorities systematically dismantled the agency’s network of agents across the country, executing dozens of suspected U.S. spies. But since then, a question has loomed over the entire debacle.

How were the Chinese able to roll up the network?

Now, nearly eight years later, it appears that the agency botched the communication system it used to interact with its sources, according to five current and former intelligence officials. The CIA had imported the system from its Middle East operations, where the online environment was considerably less hazardous, and apparently underestimated China’s ability to penetrate it.

“The attitude was that we’ve got this, we’re untouchable,” said one of the officials who, like the others, declined to be named discussing sensitive information. The former official described the attitude of those in the agency who worked on China at the time as “invincible.”

lol

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

The Chud posted:

“Someone that has the status that he does shouldn’t get away with assaulting someone.”

[infinitely-expanding-:ironicat:-image]

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

Wingnut Ninja posted:

[infinitely-expanding-:ironicat:-image]

:lol::lol::lol::psypop:

Coldwar timewarp
May 8, 2007

I'm sure the US is very ready for a peer to peer conflict.

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

asymptotically approaching one

Coldwar timewarp posted:

I'm sure the US is very ready for a peer to peer conflict.

Eh you're fine. The NSA has got your back when it comes to this stuff. When the leak of the CIA toolset in 2017 happened, the speculation in hacking circles was why it was so crappy compared to the NSA leak, in so much as it looked like it'd either been ripped from the NSA badly or built by a very few people with a bit of copying going on.

The CIA don't have 30 thousand computer hackers working for them, they aren't going to be poo poo hot at it.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

LingcodKilla posted:

I’m disappointed the pit didn’t take care of this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zgSeKpMYdHM

the video is amazing, even if it doesn't really show the, uh, drum solo

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

The lead guitarist from Drop Kicks uh dropped his guitar and body slammed into a guy who got up on stage and threw a Nazi salute. They fell into the pit and the dude got stomped and tossed out the back door. Great show musta been oh 2012 in Santa Cruz.

Coldwar timewarp
May 8, 2007

Hexyflexy posted:

Eh you're fine. The NSA has got your back when it comes to this stuff. When the leak of the CIA toolset in 2017 happened, the speculation in hacking circles was why it was so crappy compared to the NSA leak, in so much as it looked like it'd either been ripped from the NSA badly or built by a very few people with a bit of copying going on.

The CIA don't have 30 thousand computer hackers working for them, they aren't going to be poo poo hot at it.

Also means you have to build your human intelligence up from the bottom. Likely not easy. So you have to rely on NSA to catch stuff which presumably the chinese are moving around on closed networks. You are probably right though.

I think it shows a sloppiness as a very high level which could be dangerous in the near term due to that depletion of assets.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
The CIA doesn't have people capable of making field grade modules. The NSA has people but is so stingy they sit on the good stuff for six months without 'risking' using it before it becomes obsolete anyway. Its a dumb situation which is so dumb that dumb ideas like CYBERCOM are somehow less dumb than known dumb ideas like Space Force.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

quote:

In a follow-up on the polio situation in Papua New Guinea, a new polio case was reported this week by the National Department of Health of Papua New Guinea (NDOH) and the World Health Organization (WHO) in a 22-month old girl from Eastern Highlands Province.

his is the fourth case in the country, following confirmation of two cases from Morobe Province in June and July 2018 and a case from Enga in early August.

The girl had an onset of paralysis on 8 July. Based on initial laboratory results, this case is genetically linked to the current outbreak in the country.

The NDOH has enhanced surveillance system and continuously receives reports of suspected acute flaccid paralysis. To date, there are 65 suspected cases being investigated.

The identification of the case highlights the risk of polio in children under 5 years of age. Children can be protected from polio only with vaccination. Given substantial vaccination coverage gaps across the country, the risk of further spread of polio within the country continues to be classified as high.

The NDOH calls on parents to bring every child under 5 years of age to the nearest health center or vaccination point for polio drops during the next round of the polio campaign in August on the following schedules:

20 August – 2 September 2018: Morobe, Madang and Eastern Highlands provinces
27 August – 9 September 2018: Enga, Chimbu, Southern Highlands, Western Highlands, Jiwaka and Hela
September and October 2018: nationwide polio vaccination campaign
Children will need to receive multiple doses of oral polio vaccine, irrespective of previous immunization status. The vaccine is safe, free and has a unique ability to stop person-to-person spread of the virus.

dont vaccinate your kids tho

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

The whole point of the post-9/11 consolidation was to make it so the CIA could access the NSA’s sigint and cyber capabilities and vice-versa rather than everybody poorly duplicating each other’s jobs but here we are

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Internet Wizard posted:

The whole point of the post-9/11 consolidation was to make it so the CIA could access the NSA’s sigint and cyber capabilities and vice-versa rather than everybody poorly duplicating each other’s jobs but here we are

War, war never changes

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

Internet Wizard posted:

Flynn was great at sharing information and getting it to the right people who could utilize actionable intelligence on a compressed timeline

Than. ...whelp

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Waroduce posted:

Flynn was great at sharing information and getting it to the right people who could utilize actionable intelligence on a compressed timeline

Than. ...whelp

Living without rules long enough in the name of "gettin' poo poo done" can get you in trouble.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

FAUXTON posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zgSeKpMYdHM

the video is amazing, even if it doesn't really show the, uh, drum solo

Man I know people that would pay for that kind of poo poo at a Punk concert

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Bolow posted:

Man I know people that would pay for that kind of poo poo at a Punk concert

drat right, dude takes off his guitar, beats the piss out of that fat sack of poo poo, gets back on stage and goes right back into ROF, taking the time to give props to the openers.

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006
I’ve been seeing a lot of my conservative colleagues posting about this liberal couple that went biking through ‘ISIS’ territory to prove ‘evil doesn’t exist.’
I haven’t found anything to fully back up those claims but the couple seems to be pretty hippy dippy and did get murdered in Central Asia.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/washington-dc-couple-american-cyclists-tajikistan-isis-lauren-geoghegan-jay-austin/

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

I dig Social D. Last two times they came around, my wife tried to buy me tickets, and twice I turned her down, as concerts aren't my scene anymore.

That poo poo is changing when they come back around.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Social Distortion still being around is my biggest surprise of 2018. I used to rock White Light when I was a teenager.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Oxygenpoisoning posted:

I’ve been seeing a lot of my conservative colleagues posting about this liberal couple that went biking through ‘ISIS’ territory to prove ‘evil doesn’t exist.’
I haven’t found anything to fully back up those claims but the couple seems to be pretty hippy dippy and did get murdered in Central Asia.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/washington-dc-couple-american-cyclists-tajikistan-isis-lauren-geoghegan-jay-austin/

You will never "prove them wrong" because they don't care

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009

Oxygenpoisoning posted:

This article:
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/08/07/world/asia/islamic-state-tajikistan-bike-attack.html

Gives off more the hippy dippy vibe, especially on the guy's part- but not to a level worth commenting at all. The hippy part and "there's no evil come from his blog posts.
Nothing wrong with the concept, and apparently it's a common enough thing that there were a pack of them that got hit. The thing to note here is that apparently Tajikistan's buttoned-up reputation might not be 100% up to par. If they have a growing amount of disaffected young dudes, that's a bad thing in Putin's backyard.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

standing there like the statue of liberty for 3 minutes flipping the bird

who does that

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
The best people.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I wanted to do the Pamir Highway trip someday. Thing is it's probably pretty safe 95% of the time. ISIS doesn't have to have an appreciable presence in an area for some messed up kids to run you over and claim allegiance after the fact.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

One of my best friends knew the male cyclist from his time at HUD, and described him as a bit of a hippy, but not naive.

Bike tour riders act something like unofficial ambassadors. People seem genuinely curious about you and your bike, and will often go out of their way to help you. I’ll never forget riding around Lake Ponchartrain with my girlfriend, and having some dude in a pick-up truck honk, flash his brights and abruptly swerve to a stop on the side of the road. As we approached with pocket knives hidden in our hands in case the guy turned out to be looking for a fight for some reason, we noticed he was leaning up on his truck with a huge grin. Turns out the guy was drunk as poo poo, proclaimed his love for bicycles and announced he just happened to have a couple of ice cold 1L bottles in a cooler in his truck bed. He told us about some camping spots ahead and then took off in his truck.

Of all my friends who tour consistently, stories like that are the norm, not the exception. One thing I’ve read repeatedly is that Iran is one of the friendliest countries ever, with most tourers never wanting for a meal or a place to spend the night at their hosts’ insistence.

• Locked thread